1 (edited by Marc 2011-02-20 08:37 AM)

Topic: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

I picked it up today, here's our next power plant:

http://www.frankensteinmotorworks.com/Lemons/IMG_0314.jpg

540 cubic inches, 160HP.

and before any budget questions come up. here's a quote:

Judge Phil wrote:

Radial engines are exempt from BS laps.

this little beauty is from 1942. it was likely installed in a P22 World War II trainer aircraft.

not 100% sure what kind of car it is going in yet, but the plan is to theme it up as the red-baron and go after the snoopy van smile

2 (edited by m610 2010-05-16 06:56 PM)

Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

Probably revs to 2000 rpm max!

I'll be interesting to see, and hear, this running.

Fan-friggen-tastic!  That will be awesome!

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

From a straight safety perspectve - PLEASE be careful.  Magnetos need to be grounded to be shut off.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

There are no weak points in your plan. Full speed ahead!

This should be good.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Top-Fool- … 77?ref=sgm
#34 Save the Tatas Subaru Impreza
2010 Detroit Irony 32nd/Capital Offense 68th/Grand Bull 26th/Rod Blago "FIF"

7 (edited by Marc 2010-05-16 09:35 PM)

m610 wrote:

Probably revs to 2000 rpm max!

I'll be interesting to see, and hear, this running.

we've already got this problem covered. we're running the output through a 2.71:1 step-up gearbox before going to the automotive transmission.

the rated takeoff RPM is 1850, cruise is 1800. but since we're not counting on it keeping us in the air we'll probably push a few extra hundred RPMs out of it.

RobL wrote:

From a straight safety perspectve - PLEASE be careful.  Magnetos need to be grounded to be shut off.

The motor came without left and right magneto and without a carb. after briefly looking at WWII plane parts prices we quickly decided to just fuel inject it instead. we'll be running a fairly benign distributor less coil setup and a 3 bar fuel rail.

porkchops22 wrote:

This should be good.

we sure hope so, this was most of our reason to go this way!

Judge Phil wrote:

There are no weak points in your plan. Full speed ahead!

of course not!

This build will involve copious amounts of custom one off space shuttle parts. all 100% mission critical and 100% untested.

Wait wut?

this is full of awesome!

Hell On Wheels "Totally Not a Rental Car" Chrysler 300
Retreat From Moscow "Traded a Bar Tab for a Wagon" Subaru Legacy
Monterey Car Weeeeak -Dishonorable Mention- "Cocoa Beach A.S.S. Team" Oldsmobile Wagon
Fail Inc Motorsports Intergalactic Headquarters

i think this usurps any previous ill-advised engine swap TEN FOLD!

SOOOO awesome man !!

will it be front mounded or what?

11 (edited by Marc 2010-05-17 12:33 AM)

vwdmc16 wrote:

SOOOO awesome man !!

will it be front mounded or what?

that is still being decided. the motor is light enough to mount it in the front, but the visibility may be affected a bit too much with a big piston right in the middle.

the first order of the day (month or two) is to get the motor running outside of the car. then i'll worry about the other details.

this motor is just a hair younger than my grandfather and probably hasn't run since either of my parents have been born so there's a bit of work to do smile

12 (edited by Scud.Ig 2010-05-17 04:10 AM)

Kinner R-540.  Yum...

Beware the claiming rule.

Scud.Ig wrote:

Kinner R-540.  Yum...

Beware the claiming rule.

yup, that's the model number.

as for the claiming, i think the judges would rather see it over and over instead of having to haul a car from the mid-west to California that they cannot legaly drive over there.

You are sick...and I say that with all the reverence and respect it carries around here.

Can't wait to see this.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Respect

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

16 (edited by RichVS 2010-05-17 05:48 AM)

Someone find this man a Goggomobil!

http://jalopnik.com/5302246/awesome-def … goggomobil

You realize of course, that if you're going to really be true to the Fokker tri-plane, the crankshaft must be fixed to the fuselage, and the engine rotates in order to maximize gyroscopic effects on vehicle dynamics, and cool the engine.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Marc wrote:

I picked it up today, here's our next power plant:

http://www.frankensteinmotorworks.com/L … G_0314.jpg

540 cubic inches, 160HP.

and before any budget questions come up. here's a quote:

Judge Phil wrote:

Radial engines are exempt from BS laps.

this little beauty is from 1942. it was likely installed in a P22 World War II trainer aircraft.

not 100% sure what kind of car it is going in yet, but the plan is to theme it up as the red-baron and go after the snoopy van smile

a blog will be started soon for anyone that wants to follow the progress on this thing. www.frankensteinmotorworks.com

nothing i ever do in life will be as awesome as this^

If it moves and shouldn't, use Duct Tape.
If it should move and doesn't, use WD-40.
If those don't work, its BROKE!

I don't know how well a steady-state engine like this rotary will respond to the constant throttle inputs needed in a car of any form......

killerken53 wrote:

I don't know how well a steady-state engine like this rotary will respond to the constant throttle inputs needed in a car of any form......

What's your point here?

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

What's the plan for cooling?  Those were air-cooled, right?

rockwood wrote:

I am putting my money on air cooling...

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

RichVS wrote:

Someone find this man a Goggomobil!

http://jalopnik.com/5302246/awesome-def … goggomobil

You realize of course, that if you're going to really be true to the Fokker tri-plane, the crankshaft must be fixed to the fuselage, and the engine rotates in order to maximize gyroscopic effects on vehicle dynamics, and cool the engine.

if someone can find us one of those, I'm DEFINITELY using it!

sorry, our engine will be fixed. it's also an american engine, but it'll be close enough.

killerken53 wrote:

this is where the fuel injection will come in. if necesary i may use a DBW throttle also so the pedal position is more directly related to the torque request.

rockwood wrote:

yes, it is air cooled. the plan involves lots of ducting, fans, 5 head temp gauges and water injection if necessary.

Thanks for all the support guys! i think with this and the 2010 camry engined MR2 we can simultaneously have the oldest and the newest motor on the track at the same time!

Actually, from what I understand of Diesel EFI is that the rate of air intake is constant and that throttle is controlled by pushing more/less fuel in, so EFI is a great idea.

If all else fails use a CVT transmission out of a rolled-over murano/Ford Five Hundred. What could possibly go wrong? smile

Serj wrote:

Actually, from what I understand of Diesel EFI is that the rate of air intake is constant and that throttle is controlled by pushing more/less fuel in, so EFI is a great idea.

If all else fails use a CVT transmission out of a rolled-over murano/Ford Five Hundred. What could possibly go wrong? smile

Diesel?

no no no, this is 540cubic inches of gasoline power!

Marc wrote:
Serj wrote:

Diesel?

no no no, this is 540cubic inches of gasoline power!

err, clarification, i am aware it's gasoline powered. I was just saying that from my understanding, the throttle could be controlled via fuel input through the EFI a la diesel-style.

even more fun would be keeping the motor turning full "war power" RPMs and control the car's speed via a CVT, let those rubber bands change the amount the car pulls smile