26 (edited by EriktheAwful 2011-01-25 07:10 PM)

Re: The best tips from us idiots on getting started losing money in Lemons

Added puller set and slide hammer to tool list.

Added a recommendation to arrive and drive before organizing a team.

Erik, thanks for putting so much effort into this post. Great info! Our team was next to yours in Omaha (yellow Metro).  I'm lucky to have a team of very committed, excited and talented guys (gals too).  Hope to see you in Omaha this year. Best to you and your family.  Ajay

Changed it emphasize brakes over cooling systems. Added more to the brakes section.

My team rules are kinda defunct, so I changed the section on paying to "consider adding this to your team rules".

Added a note in car prep to save every part, nut, bolt, and washer.

Added a modicum of cold weather gear and rain gear to the packing list, the list was originally written for summer racing.

EriktheAwful wrote:

QFT

We have a container that has all the "spare" nuts and bolts that we have taken off the parts cars. You never know when that 8mm bolt is going to roll under your shelf and it's going to be quicker to get one out of the bin than try and fish that one out.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

31 (edited by obsolete 2011-06-01 08:14 PM)

EriktheAwful wrote:

So true.  If you save this stuff, you're 100x more likely to have a bolt that will thread into that random tapped hole on your car.  Last race, after we broke the stupid torx bit for the stupid torx bolts on the stupid rear wheel bearings, we reassembled the whole shebang quickly with some nice hex bolts from the beloved random bolt box.  This has saved me countless other times as well.

In addition, some of that surplus hardware is probably grade 8.8, 9.8, 10.9, etc. which cost real money at the local hardware store, if you even have one that carries high-grade metric fasteners (which is irrelevant, because they will be closed when you need them anyway).

A wire wheel for your dremel-like rotary tool is a great thing to have as well.  It will make the rusty/filthy threads on your salvaged hardware just like new in under a minute.

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

Not cool, obsolete.  Don't leave us hangin!

1978 AMC Pacer - The Blue Flag Special
BFE GP '12 - IOE
BFE GP '13 - Co-Organizer's Choice w/ Speed Holes Wrenching

Finished my mysteriously truncated post.  I guess some of the packets didn't quite make it the first time.

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

In regards to way to help keep your team together -
1. Share the prize money with them
2. Let team members display the trophies at their home/work.
3. Send nice prints of the team photo, the one we all take at the end of the race, to each team member.

I already had a bit about team photos, etc., but I did add a paragraph about sharing prize money and trophies. Thanks!

BTW, I do take grammar suggestions, so if there's confusing sentence structure or misspellings that grate on your nerves, speak up. I try to keep my writing concise and informative.

m610 wrote:

3. Send nice prints of the team photo, the one we all take at the end of the race, to each team member.

Another suggestion. Take them SATURDAY after racing. Or, hell, Friday. By the end of Sunday everyone looks like a broken, grease-smeared, sleep deprived, sunburnt husk.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

I added two paragraphs about driving and I added a warm hat to the packing list. The packing list is geared more towards hot weather, so I'm open to more suggestions from you northerners.

I quadruple second the trailer maintenance recommendations.   In our nearly dozen races almost every time we go more than 200 miles we lose one or more trailer tires and occasionally even truck tires.

Try finding 15" D rated trailer tires ( and rims ) at 4 AM in the pouring rain because the chinese crap that was on the box trailer lost the entire tread and dragged the rim for 5 miles with just me in the ambulance after working 2 days straight to get the car running and tools loaded.

Ended up driving 20 miles to the motel on the shoulder after moving heavy objects enough to keep the rim off the pavement.  Made for yet another 'Bill in a coma' race weekend. smile

I went and bought 4 new trailer tires for the flatbead, real trailer goodyears, and fixed that problem once and for all.   Then some ass stole the flatbead trailer.

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

die spammer!

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

Added a bit about contact, penalty box, and courtesy after-the-fact.

If you have more than a love-tap contact with another car, go directly to the penalty box and tell the Judges why you're there. If you're already there when they get the call that you're coming in, they're more likely to simply slap your wrist. If they get to wait and simmer for ten minutes before you show up you're going to be there a while. Once you're done with your penalty, go apologize to the other driver, even if it's all their fault, because most likely you unknowingly had a hand in causing the contact. Even better is if you help them get their car back on the track. If you drive like a spasmodic crack fueled monkey, total someone else's car, then ignore them and continue to drive like a crack monkey, the Judges will hear about it and you can expect a harder time getting accepted to your next race.

The packing list was very helpful for the last race. Thank you very much.

We brought (and used) quite a few of the items. Three things certainly seemed to be the most popular.

Windex
Tire Pressure Gauge
Drip tray

Good Luck Everybody Else Racing. Yes, we have a fan page.

Thanks! I'm glad it helped. If I didn't make big lists like that I'd show up in my underwear with a roll of duct tape and a hammer.

Added a link to the overused themes thread.

44 (edited by rhorad1 2011-08-23 05:29 PM)

Don't go cheap on the safety gear, buy good suits and helmets. Get the DOM tubing and as many door bars as your build will allow, the goal is to complete laps safely. Have a team member who is just as sick as you.  Get your kids involved. Realize up front that it will cost way more than your budget, if you have any type of car or motorcycle racing experience you already know this. Concentrate on theme and the weekend experience. The race will go by in a flash. Know going in that this will become an bad habit worse than alcohol and drugs. Realize that after the first race you will be looking for another car to build and try to field multicar teams. Bring everything for your car except a spare body. I mean everything.
Realize that no matter how much prep you do you will be working on the car right up to tech. and then some.
Best of all: Every other team in a Lemons race wants you and your team to succeed and go to any extreme to help you get back on the track. Best people in any racing series.

Wetland American Racing (WAR)  #77 Swamp Thang Granada
2011 Cain't get Bayou IOE and Class C winner
Shop Location: Bayou Self, La.

Added a recommendation to have each team member go over the tech checklist.

Please, Please, Please......test drive that junk (race car) before coming to the track. This WILL save you lots and lots of time and maybe, just maybe a few bucks. No, won't save you anything but embarrASSment. Ahhh maybe that is not a concern!
Well, The Zippys only have two races under our skirts, so what the heck do we know.
See ya at the Autobahn in October.

JBJ

Edited the tire paragraph under Car Prep to read:

Run the best cheap tire you can. If you can get Dunlop Direzza Star Specs or Falken Azenis, then do it. For cars over 3000lbs the Star Specs are recommended. If your wheels require a size that isn't available in those tires, ask the forum for a tire recommendation available in your size that is cheap, durable, and sticks well.

48 (edited by Crab Spirits 2011-12-16 04:09 PM)

How to screw up driver changes, pitting, and penalties: A guide to failure.
-New driver totally unfamiliar with car. Doesn't even know how to start it. (dangerous)
-New driver failed to get wristband (usually, you need 2)
-New driver wearing gym shoes*
-New driver not wearing gloves*
-New driver not wearing neck support*
-New driver not strapped into harness*
-New driver wearing non-approved helmet*
-New driver did not attach radio or unplugged when adjusting belts
-New driver does not know how to enter/exit track OR DIRECTION OF TRAFFIC
-Nobody knows their pit duties
-Proper Refueling procedures not followed, crucified by safety steward
-Gas cap left off, black flagged for fuel leak
-Hood not secured, black flagged for flapping hood or worse
-Loose tools left in car or extinguisher dislodged
-Commonly used items and extra fluids not unpacked and easily accessible
-Mess with an onboard camera
-Driver on track does not give team enough time to get back to pit space
-Radio malfunction, secondary communication was not prepared/discussed
-Rogue vehicle or bystanders in way of pit space
-Team members all over venue, nobody at pit space/next driver not suited and ready
-Speeding in the paddock
-Harness belt adjusters not in accessable locations
-Driver enters penalty box enraged at officials (get ready to pack the trailer)
-Driver enters penalty box enraged in general (does not help you at all)
-Driver enters penalty box in haste and almost runs over official

*This actually happens a lot!

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

Thanks! I added it near the end in the "At the race" section. If I get to feeling froggy I might even type up a "refueling/driver change" checklist and a "paddock stop" checklist.

Family is very important ! If wife doesn't enjoy races then it sucks.

A race shop I buy parts from has a sign that he sells a lot of says " a happy wife is a happy life"

I totally believe this ,in counselling now ! Good times!

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!