Topic: Cheap, Easy, and Usable In-Car Comm

We are looking for some sort of working driver to pit comms...and dont have much to spend:-)
Currently, we are using older Motorola Talk-Abouts (I think as basic as they come) something like these:
http://ii.alatest.com/product/600x400/f/5/Motorola-TalkAbout-T5320-AA-Napa-Burgundy-2-Way-Radio-Pair-0.jpg

With a Fire Fox throat mic like this:
http://static.zoovy.com/img/firefoxtechnologies/-/firefoxproducts/sportsman_mic.jpg

And the results are terrible. As a driver you can hear perfectly fine...well nothing too complex but we are reduced to using hand signals if we want to communicate something. This usually ends up in one particular finger going up form lack of understanding.

I know these are pretty beat wakies and there are better ways of communicating, but want to know your thoughts. I cant see everyone shelling out big bucks for helmet mics and all. Is there anything out there that actually works on a budget? Even if its just the driver and one key spotter. Anything to get a few audible word of warning to the crew as we pull in with a problem.

Thanks!

Team Victors of War (those idiots in the wife-beaters and white pants)

Re: Cheap, Easy, and Usable In-Car Comm

I think that cheap, easy, and usable are the mythical project management triangle of radio comms, just like fast, cheap, and reliable are for Lemons cars. You only get to pick 2.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Haha, yeah i know. Wonder what others are using and have success with.

I

We use those type of FRS/GMRS radios.  We also go with the in helmet mic system for them.  Again, you can hear the pits but understanding the driver is a bit of a stretch. 

Our other car went with the high-end solution - $175 per helmet and then they rent radios for the weekend.  Crystal clear both ways and no misunderstandings.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

A noise cancelling mic is the best single thing you can add to your com gear.

I would love to buy the $$ kit for my own helmet but the rest of my team wont, I know it.

It seems like everything out there says its noise canceling these days. Anyone have a decent brand that they have used. That firefox throat mic thing was said to be noise canceling and it was useless. Granted, I didnt pay for them:-)

Try Mark at club racing radios...    http://www.clubracingradios.com/

Disclaimer...  I haven't used his radios, but have known Mark for 20ish years, he's on the opposite side of the country...      I do know that he's a stand-up dude and I trust him

-John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

I have heard good things about those Midland GXT1000. That might be right in our budget. You can actually find those radios pretty cheap. I think its the headsets and getting the crew chief/spotter a headset will really make the difference.

The magic really is in the headset.  For our 2009 race, I bought a set of Motorola radios from Best Buy - I don't recall the model.  I also bought the earbud type headsets They worked fine, like you said, for pit to car comm, but the reverse didn't work.  One of our drivers had a decent helmet mic setup and I had the adapter to hook it to our radios.  We could hear him just fine!  So the radio itself isn't a problem, it's the mic/headset.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

Right, helmet mics are the key I think. We have 3 helmets for our team. I bought all my own gear and the other share. Any ideas on a decent headset for the driver? Brands that actually work.
I am currently reading up on the Midlands gear. This is all new to me. You need a license to use the high frequencies? FCC at it again.

http://www.amazon.com/Midland-AVPH2-Clo … roduct_top

Midlands in-helmet mic set seems to be a decent one. The reviews are mostly for motorcycles, ATV's, and (as one guy put it) snow machines. There was one review from what sounded like a Lemons racer and they like them. Volume level is a little low by some but most seemed to like them. This is the front runner so far.

Those are the ones we use. 

Be careful and test all you helmet wires with whatever PTT button you install in the car.  There are 2 different wiring specs and they are not compatible with each other.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Good to know. Do you find that the driver can be heard ok by at least one of the pit crew members?

We do not have a headset for the spotter and I think that will help a lot as well. Midlands makes a PTT of their own. That one should work...unless there are two.

Be careful. The midland radios are ok.  But we have had nothing but trouble out of the helmet kits with PTT harnesses.

The PTT butons and sometime the mics themselves just mysteriously die on us.

If any of you saw my earlier post this is what sent me down the road of looking at the more expensive NASCAR/IMSA harness gear.

I am sorry to say I am having issues there as well, although that is partly because I did not buy a turnkey kit, but instead chose to try and piece things together with used/fleabay equipment.

I can't speak to some of the non-midland consumer grade equipment. It maybe fine, but the big weakness seems to be the mini din connectors.  They are just not up to being constantly plugged and unplugged like we do at these races.

I did see these linked to here or on the chump car forum:

http://www.hitechwireless.com/RiderComm … 2C129.aspx

which looks interesting because they are using 1/4" jacks instead of the DIN plugs. 

Also, someone mentioned a 199 nascar in one forum or another (need to find it again) kit that includes the adapator, harness, one helmet kit and a crew kit.

I am going to see if he might be willing to work a deal with multiple helmet kits.

-Mike

We are the other Team Rob was talking about, and I'm really happy I invested in helmet speakers and the built-in mic.  Every time I put my helmet on, one ear bud would come out and limit my hearing.  Talking back almost never worked.  Now those things are pretty much gone.  I think we finally bought the radio too.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Please let me know. That headset looks interesting. If we went with the Midlands radios, what type of plugs will we need to connect to headset/PTT to the radio?

What system are you using Jer?

Jer wrote:

....Talking back almost never worked....

That's cause the Crew Chief never pays attention to the driver.  The Driver heads off out onto the track, the Crew head off out for lunch. wink

WINWAR wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/Midland-AVPH2-Clo … roduct_top

Midlands in-helmet mic set seems to be a decent one. The reviews are mostly for motorcycles, ATV's, and (as one guy put it) snow machines. There was one review from what sounded like a Lemons racer and they like them. Volume level is a little low by some but most seemed to like them. This is the front runner so far.

those things are garbage...we have had 3 sets fail so far.  the mic sucks and the headphones have exposed soder joints on the back.

Pendejo - There is no such thing as a racing budget and if you can't afford to set it on fire and watch it burn while drinking a beer then don't race it.

Ok, so any good suggestions?

To combat the mini-plug failure, tape/hotglue/etc the plug into the radio and put a 14" jack inline elsewhere.
If you're really looking to beef even that setup up 'cause you pull 'em by the cord instead of the jack, add spider-wire (Kevlar thread) to the cord wiht a bit of heat-shrink over it and anchor the ends of the spider wire someplace very secure - like the strap-mount on the radio and a vent on the helmet.

Ok, I think I get what your talking about. To get rid of the small plugs, just splice in a 1/4" jack somewhere that is easy to get at and will eliminate the need to keep tugging on the DIN plugs.

By spider-wire, you are talking the fishing line, right? Wrap that all around the wires and then wrap a heat-shrink around to help strengthen it all up. Us the ends of the spider-wire to attach it to somewhere to keep it from getting caught or pulled needlessly.

I wonder if that will help keep things from crapping out on these units.

You got it - the mini ends and the wires in and out of them are as you noted bitchey at best.

not wrap the wires - just add 'inline with" - the heat shrink is to keep it from being a loose shoestring - you could just tape it in a few places and it would be as effective.

I say Spider-wire 'cause you can get it at most sporting good stores as fishing line - it is a stuff called "spectra" and is pretty ideal to what needs to be done to make the cables "bullet-proof" (the whole line was stopped for making sails for the New Zealand America's cup race when it first hit the market)
- watch on the heat-shrink tho' - I forgot it really doesn't like high heat - the low setting to shrink is the only one...

You can get Kevlar or even carbon thread from hobby shops, but more people live closer to fishing supplies than good hobby stores.

The other issue is still the audio quality - that can only be fixed with spending the right amount on the right mic and earphones. Start with ones from the mfr of the radio unit and go from there.

I have never had a good in-car mic experience so if someone has a brand let us all know.

We've actually had very good experiences with the Midland. i mean, yes, I'll agree, we did have some PTT issues early on, but I've got my headset soft-mounted in my helmet with electical tape and zip ties along the edging of the helmet to keep it from shifting/getting tugged on the fragile areas. but when the system works, everyone; driver to pit, pit to driver, all clear as a bell. my personal nit pick is that since they're popular options and easy to get, with only 20 channels at best there's always a TON of sharing channels at Lemons events. not necessarily bad but guys screaming at their headsets, someone's 6yr old running around with one, etc all make it somewhat difficult to get your message across ANYWAY.

Nice to hear. I feel like if you mount everything nice and secure and address the weak points, these might work ok. Might buy one and give it a go...for the right price.

What are u using for spotter/chief headset? Just talking into walkie? I think that that might another problem area for us. If driver is hard to hear, listen thru an open walkie will make it impossible.