Topic: Gormless Racing MGB-GT takes Real Hoopties of NJ Index of Effluency

http://images.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/04/LNJ11-Winner-IOE-520px.jpg

Congratulations, Gormless Racing!

Re: Gormless Racing MGB-GT takes Real Hoopties of NJ Index of Effluency

Holy Cow!!  What happen to Speedy and that big PJ Ford 500??  I thought he was a lock.

This space for rent.

Nothing happened...the Galaxie ran all weekend (small oil fire aside). It's way less crappy than that MGB.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

That MGB was a rolling chicane, but they stayed outr of the way and kept it on the track all weekend long.  Kudos to them, they deserved it!

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

I know slow - My daily driver is a 83 Mercedes 300SD.  I got pulled over for running a stop light in it because the officer said I was going too slow thru the intersection.   I said I had it floored and the turbo was still spooling up and the engine was cold and the sun was in my eyes... He let me go after a snicker and some snyde remark about Goldie.  Oh the humiliation.

This space for rent.

NSF wrote:

I know slow - My daily driver is a 83 Mercedes 300SD.  I got pulled over for running a stop light in it because the officer said I was going too slow thru the intersection.   I said I had it floored and the turbo was still spooling up and the engine was cold and the sun was in my eyes... He let me go after a snicker and some snyde remark about Goldie.  Oh the humiliation.

Even slower- I was DD-ing a 300D as a daily for awhile.  There is one light on the way to work I would floor it from a dead stop, and I could not make it through the light before it turned yellow.  80 horsepower in a 3500 pound pig of a car.  Nice ride, though. 

Our new LeMon, the LTD Landau, spins tires quite easily.  The wheezy 400 doesn't make much power, but it sure does make torques!

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

Jer wrote:

That MGB was a rolling chicane, but they stayed outr of the way and kept it on the track all weekend long.  Kudos to them, they deserved it!

Thanks! I hope we kept out of the way most of the time. I actually was able to pass a few cars during the weekend - mostly when there was one dead on the side of the track.  I got the team's only black flag on Saturday when about 20 of you faster cars decided you were all going to pass me on the back blind hilly turn before the bridge. I kept moving to the outside and ran out of pavement, hooked the driver tires and collided with the closest of 3 cars going by - the cougar/leopard Volvo station wagon. My apologies - but hey give me a bit of room. We really were gormless about wining anything as we simply were having some fun. Being on another team that has been trying to win Lemons since 2009 in a BMW, I now have a new attitude about picking something older and more stinky and making it last for a race. Sorry the Fiat had a catastrophe as I believe the IOE was theirs till the explosion. Great fun with all of you! Thanks to team #999 for welding our tech failure spot! The MGB should be at Summit for another rolling chicane!

'86 E30, '09 Stafford Aug, '10 CMP Feb, VIR Apr, Summit Jun,  CMP Sep
             '11 CMP Feb, Rock Mar, Charlotte Apr, Summit Jun
'68 MGB '11 NJMP Apr (winner IOE)

Scot,

I got behing the rolling chicane very early, Friday AM on the way to the track.  I was just thinking how awesome it was, and when I heard the story about how it was put together, and they expected it to fail rolling off the trailer.  what a fitting ending.

You guys did a great job giving everyone room.

Winning IOE was very deserving!

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

The little MGB-GT that could. Congratulations guys and, in my opinion, you did a pretty good job of staying out of the way and letting the faster cars through.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

chaase wrote:

The little MGB-GT that could. Congratulations guys and, in my opinion, you did a pretty good job of staying out of the way and letting the faster cars through.

I agree, never had a problem getting around them safely.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

11 (edited by Carlos 2011-04-11 09:04 AM)

From one of our drivers...

What I learned about MGB-GTs this weekend:

1) The early 70 engines are actually air-cooled and the structure that looks like a radiator is actually a humidifier that can be filled when driving in dryer climates.

2) gauges cause needless worrying, telling you things like "your humidifier is empty."

3) tightening the gas cap is only required if you want the gas to stay inside the fuel cell.

4) running with only 3 out of 4 spark plug wires connected doesn't necessarily save gas (see above).

5) Proper oil to be used in MGB-GT racing engine, in this order: Classic Car 20w 50, Mobile 10w 40, Castrol High Mileage 20w 50, and finally Motorcraft 15w 40 Heavy duty oil.

6) Tightening lug nuts should always be number 1 on any action items list, even above attaching hopelessly wobbly mirrors.

7) electric starters are optional (With Lucas electronics, electric is optional).

8) Drywall anchors work just fine for holding down K&N air filter covers.

9) Hood bouncing can be a strangely soothing distraction while being passed by a smoking Saab going 130 mph.

and last, but not least,

10) don't let a 58 year old cancer researcher drive on your team if you want lap times faster than it takes, on average, two coats of oil-based paint to dry.

Gormless Racing
1968 MGB GT, mostly kinda running

Also - I'd like to say I am VERY HAPPY many are saying we were not in the way... best award yet! Well, almost....

Great fun time... no idea how the MG lasted the whole race with an empty radiator, but there you go. "Keep Calm and Carry On" indeed!

Gormless Racing

13 (edited by DC Doug 2011-04-11 09:48 AM)

NSF wrote:

Holy Cow!!  What happen to Speedy and that big PJ Ford 500??  I thought he was a lock.

Thanks B.  I think we're coming to the conclusion that we spent too much time making it too nice looking and (more to the point) that we haven't yet kept it out on the track for >75% of the weekend.  That's probably what cost the Fiat the IOE and what won the MGB the prize.  Both were really great IOE contenders... really impressed w/ the cars and the teams.

Saturday we started about 45 min late, but ran really strong all day long after that (edit: maybe with the exception of me spinning the Galaxie at/over the top of turn one (video to follow)); Sunday we just missed the green, but later lost 45 min due to my going off / black flag / repairs (discovered we had a loose RF wheel nut and axle seal leak that gear oiled our one (rr) drive wheel) and then about two hours out after we thought we blew the motor... billowing smoke and maybe a small fire that turned out to be a loose oil filter, a burned through oil pressure line and a cracked high pressure power steering line all of which were spewing oil towards the exact same spot on the block.   Thankfully we were able to get back out there, but by that point I was just trying to get our drivers and friends some more stints... so we were constantly in doing driver changes.

I had a blast this weekend.  Saturday was possibly one of the highlights of my life.  I was walking around in a haze of adrenaline for most of the day.  All our guys got solid seat-time and I ran two stints that frankly blew my mind.  I was running the Galaxie at 1:35-1:37's and pulled a couple of 1:32's.... doing a considerable amount of passing and keeping it pretty tight - even in the turns - with a lot of the class A/B cars.  Surprisingly, the Galaxie was faster than the Lancia until their last stints on Sunday.

LOVED the Lightning track at NJMP!  Hope we can keep running there.

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42196827@N … 464919640/

Twenty minutes after we put the fire out.,..

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

Heh, what do the shirts say? I have a "Now Panic and Freak Out" version myself.

Congrats!!!!!   An Opel wins at Sears Pointless and now an MG!!!  Rock on!!!!!!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

ninjacoco wrote:

Heh, what do the shirts say? I have a "Now Panic and Freak Out" version myself.

We have the even more Englishy version; they say "Bloody Hell we're Buggered Now"

It's a play on "Keep Calm and Carry On", which was a poster produced by the British government in 1939 during the beginning of the Second World War, intended to raise the morale of the British public under the threat of impending invasion. (as per wiki)

Gormless Racing

Class C is where you want to be, better chances for an IOE! wink

m610 wrote:

At the NJMP race last weekend our Volvo was promoted from Class Bad (B) to Class Ugly (C), which thrilled us to no end. Sadly, it's much too reliable to ever contend for the coveted IOE.

Dave -- member emeritus, Vermont Bert One --

Which car won class ugly? Did the Cow win?

'86 E30, '09 Stafford Aug, '10 CMP Feb, VIR Apr, Summit Jun,  CMP Sep
             '11 CMP Feb, Rock Mar, Charlotte Apr, Summit Jun
'68 MGB '11 NJMP Apr (winner IOE)

DaveG wrote:
m610 wrote:

At the NJMP race last weekend our Volvo was promoted from Class Bad (B) to Class Ugly (C), which thrilled us to no end. Sadly, it's much too reliable to ever contend for the coveted IOE.

Same for us, we were put in A in Florida, but this time we were in B.  To quote Phil: "What's the worst that could happen, a Volvo wins?"  He was twice right.

We had a tough race with more problems than the past two races combined, but others around us had problems too and I guess we did just enough to hold on.  2qt of oil went in at each of our 3 stops Sunday, and I saw zero pressure in the left under the bridge on my in-lap around mid day.  Our last driver called in no oil pressure with 3min to go, but he stayed out and limped it home...then we did burnouts (after adding some oil).

Can't wait for Summit Point

FastISH and the FURRiest 1991 Volvo 240 wagon
WV 13th, FL 8th (GRM), NJ 8th (B win), WV 4th (B win), NC 14th, NJ 14th, WV 62nd,  NH 17th, NY 54th
2012 Sears Point Outlaw...74th!

DaveG wrote:
m610 wrote:

Aw man if you hadn't been promoted we would have won Class C and probably IOE for winning something lol!  They did say we were an outside IOE contender, because our car just wasn't as horrible as many others lol.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

Most Volvo 240s aren't terrible enough to get Class C. 140s, 260s, Amazons, etc- those can be Class C.

Judge Phil wrote:

Most Volvo 240s aren't terrible enough to get Class C. 140s, 260s, Amazons, etc- those can be Class C.

Uh oh. I hope the judges aren't having second thoughts now before Loudon Annoying. This Volvo 240 really is that terrible! I still fondly recall your proclamation at Summit Point last year that ours was the most hooptie-ass Volvo you'd ever seen. It kind of made the whole team feel warm and fuzzy inside.

scrowner wrote:

Which car won class ugly? Did the Cow win?

Yup, the cow won, with the three-legged Fox nipping at our heels.