Topic: Summer Approaches : share your best cool shirt/seat setup links

Hi all,

We here at Speedycop are looking forward to the coming heatstroke at our favorite June sweat/shit show at Summit Point.  I've read dozens of cool shirt setup DIY's here on the forum in the past and followed as many off the forum to boot.  Now that Mother Sun is ramping it up and I've got drivers to keep alive in my 4,000lb blue oven I'd appreciate the best of best of's links for cool stuff.

I and your fellow idiots will thank youz!

-Doug

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

Re: Summer Approaches : share your best cool shirt/seat setup links

I'm still waiting to see the first backpack-mounted cool suit for walking-around-the-paddock use. How hard could it be?

3 (edited by DC Doug 2011-04-18 07:50 PM)

Judge Phil wrote:

I'm still waiting to see the first backpack-mounted cool suit for walking-around-the-paddock use. How hard could it be?

Shit Phil, that's exactly where I'm going after we get the car setup.  Motorcycle battery and camelback FTW!

Fatboy solutions, LTD.

'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

Judge Phil wrote:

I made a mister system that hung from our easy-up for Arse Sweat last August. I hooked up garden misters to a manually pumped sprayer bottle (like you use to spray insecticide). It wasn't portable to walk around with, but it sure felt good to sit under in the shade.

We also broke down and bought a cool suit system fir the car. I don't think we could live without it now.  Worth every penny (and more).

Paul, aka BuFord Hogswaller:  Team Captain, Team Bavarian Ranchero and Team Pink Lloyd

Alright Paul, thanks for the post, but that was no DIY car or porta-cool help.  We're looking for in-car or walkable solutions peoples!

Install a/c in the car.

FastISH and the FURRiest 1991 Volvo 240 wagon
WV 13th, FL 8th (GRM), NJ 8th (B win), WV 4th (B win), NC 14th, NJ 14th, WV 62nd,  NH 17th, NY 54th
2012 Sears Point Outlaw...74th!

towerymt wrote:

Install a/c in the car.

Fail.  You are banned from this thread... at least until you post again.

towerymt wrote:

Install a/c in the car.

just don't remove it from the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

sure its a few more lbs and a bit of drag on the engine...but imagine the driver comfort....thats priceless!!!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

LMAO

http://www.uline.com/BL_8984/Cooling-Vest?keywords=cool

"not only will you stay cool, but you will look cool too"!!!

What about an ice bucket mounted directly above the driver.  Drill holes in the bucket and fill it with ice, wait for the arctic sensation.

Then,

Just tape this photo to the dash and think cold.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2011-02/59261284.jpg

Poster is not responsible for protruding nippiness from said genius invention.

This space for rent.

towerymt wrote:

Install a/c in the car.

we did that last year, and it was a fail. At 3/4 throttle, the a/c shut down the compressor in ours, so all it did was blow hot air at us. The other issue was the lack of windows.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

I bit the bullet and got the Cool Shirt system. I didn't want to spend time and effort into designing my own, going thru at least a couple redesigns to finally get it working right.

DC Doug wrote:

Hi all,

We here at Speedycop are looking forward to the coming heatstroke at our favorite June sweat/shit show at Summit Point.  I've read dozens of cool shirt setup DIY's here on the forum in the past and followed as many off the forum to boot.  Now that Mother Sun is ramping it up and I've got drivers to keep alive in my 4,000lb blue oven I'd appreciate the best of best of's links for cool stuff.

I and your fellow idiots will thank youz!

-Doug

Shoot me an e-mail.  I'll be glad to share the info on our system.  We went through three versions to get it right, but what we have now works very well.  There is no way I'd run a summer event w/o it.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

An AC system that would run the cooling to the suit itself would be pretty choice.

Hard to beat the simplicity of a cooler and ice however. I recall seeing a good plan on making your own coolshirt somewhere. Let me see if I can dig it out.

Daniel Sycks

This was the best one I found and most likely what I'll be doing for CMP.

http://roocox.blogspot.com/2009/04/diy-cool-shirt.html

Ryan Jones
J4 Racing
BAM-Z-NO! Team Holdafone 1987 NA 300zx
Still looking to get into the top 50%.

I was asked by DC Doug to post our system in detail to help anyone else who is thinking of building their own system.  I'll add even more detail and post it all in a separate thread that maybe the administrators can sticky or something if they think it is worthy.

Captain

The AC in my Lemon is better than the AC in my daily driver, mainly cause this new freon sucks.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

I investigated this a while back, I remember coming across a design that had an overflow outlet that would allow excess water to drain out the bottom of the car, primarily so the crew could just dump ice in and let the excess water dump out on its own during a pit stop.  Presumably excess might slosh out around turns too, not sure that dumping water on the track is a great idea though.  Maybe add a ball valve so a quick 90 degree turn will let it drain, then close it off?

Pucker Factor Racing - Gator-O-Rama, Feb '11, Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas!, Oct '11
Scuderia Ignorante - Yee-Haw, It's Lemons Texas, Feb '12 (As seen in Car & Driver), Gator-O-Rama, Sept '13

VKZ24 wrote:

I was asked by DC Doug to post our system in detail to help anyone else who is thinking of building their own system.  I'll add even more detail and post it all in a separate thread that maybe the administrators can sticky or something if they think it is worthy.

Vincent's build walk-thru has the benefit of his experience in building more than one system & his guidance to me hit all of the good build takeaways I remember reading when I first researched this last year for creating a cool system.  He covered everything you need to know except fabbing a shirt.  Vincent suggests you simply buy a cool shirt... it works great and isn't that expensive.

jimbo_se-r wrote:

I investigated this a while back, I remember coming across a design that had an overflow outlet that would allow excess water to drain out the bottom of the car, primarily so the crew could just dump ice in and let the excess water dump out on its own during a pit stop.  Presumably excess might slosh out around turns too, not sure that dumping water on the track is a great idea though.

I found a solution to this problem as well.  Stay tuned for my post abut building a system.

Captain

21 (edited by VKZ24 2011-04-21 05:06 AM)

Here is a link to my post regarding our system.

Captain

Doug,

ask around, find someone who has had knee or maybe shoulder surgery, and used a cooler system. These are cool suit systems to help cool knees and shoulders post surgery. Built just like your going to build. See if they still have their cool bladder (the thing that goes on the knee or shoulder).

Tape it to the back of the seat, Kidney area. Run some 1/4 Poly hoses off to your Ice chest with a 12vdc bilge pump. Adapt the bilge pump output down to the 1/4" with the return just dumping back into the Ice chest.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

+1
I was looking at cool-shirts online last year when my wife says her sister's mother-in-law had one for her knee. She had just passed away and they were trying to figure out what it was so they could put it in the garage sale. It runs off wall current, but the transformer knocks it down to 12VDC. Just cut the wires and plug it into your accessory circuit. Keep the 12v transformer so you can power it at home in the garge on 100+ degree days.

The brand name is EB Ice, but be warned - even on max the duty cycle is about half of the racing version.

DC Doug wrote:

Alright Paul, thanks for the post, but that was no DIY car or porta-cool help.  We're looking for in-car or walkable solutions peoples!

Has this been posted?

http://www.coolshirt.net/port-a-cool.html

http://www.amazon.com/COOLSHIRT-PORTA-C … 000K3IDY2/

and just the can

http://www.amazon.com/Cool-Shirt-Coolsh … B000K3IDXI

I wonder how well this would work out for walking around?

Says 1-2 hours.

25 (edited by DC Doug 2011-05-06 09:08 PM)

OG Racing is blowing out the last of the non-Hans specific Fresh Air Systems Cool-Shirts. Now 50% off the original price! Offer good while supplies last.

Brand new, white shirt:  $69 (vs $135) + free shipping.  All they have left is XXX-L (which actually costs $155 normally).

And this completes my (semi)DIY cool shirt setup for <$100 vs $400 for a retail solution with only 30% of the cooling capacity.