1 (edited by socal.colin 2013-12-11 03:22 PM)

Topic: Setting up the Spitfire and teams - We failed

So over the year i got a few parts here and there,  .. and finally put them on and my pops rebuilt a motor.   , the rebuilt 1300, that lasted the warm up and 1/2 a green flag lap before a rod came loose and we lost oil pressure and i coasted in. Hopefully it did not seize .. I did not check.  We put the old faith full 1500 back in and got back on the track. - No worries about the motor .. shit happens. I could not have done a rebuild myself.

Second - put some new front calipers on (cheap china ones)  I used a power bleeder on them but neglected to bleed the rears.. So eventually the brakes started to go out on my driver I sent out at the end of Saturday. He (being the smart one) helped me properly bleed all the brakes.

Third.. I got a rebuilt leaf spring and dug out some used Koni's we had on before and put that all on..  well that lead to the rear being so tight and high up with almost  no camber. So the thing was loose.. even after my driver spun and I took off the Federal ss-595s and put 14" star specs on the rear, it was still loose..

Gah..    So i guess either put a saggy leaf spring back on and just tighten down the koni shocks.. or I need a huge spacer to put the stiff leaf spring on to raise it up which will lower the rear and give a little camber. 

We will open up the 1300 later when we feel like it.. but I have way too much going on in 2014 and had some personal team conflicts at this race not to mention a bad wreck in the other car.., .. not sure we will even take it out to a Lemons race this year.. maybe some SCCA Solos or strip it down and sell the parts.. not sure.

It is not the work, the break downs, motor swaps, or being slow that bother me., hell even the wreck is just racing...  it was the bummer of the drivers from the two teems just not all getting along. Trying to share and ask for a place to sleep, sharing tools, people not being able to find them, yelling names out loud, loudly cursing  in front of our non driving friends/guests, team mates calling each other ass holes, not speaking up when another is doing something you dont like and just despising them for continuing to do it... DROVE ME NUTS!  There were two innocent people who joined us (Ron and his son Chris) that dealt amazingly well with our crap and I would recommend to anyone!

A solid great 4 man team that is always there to help, can wrench, and get along.. is hard to impossible to come by..

5x loser - and just all around not very good
My Crappy Blog
Former Sex Pistons Craptain
And it feels so funny, like bathing in honey...

Re: Setting up the Spitfire and teams - We failed

Not to mention.. getting 8 guys for two teams... 

And I am not an innocent here.. I also was part of the problem.

My Crappy Blog

socal.colin wrote:

Not to mention.. getting 8 guys for two teams... 

And I am not an innocent here.. I also was part of the problem.

We had some team friction back east.  Funally had a come to Jesus meeting at my house, over a barbeque.  No working on the car, just sit down, enjoy a meal, and determine some team objectives.  We also gave everybody an opportunity to voice their own personal objectives and interests.

We had a surprise or two in the voicing of the personal objectives, but at the end of the day it helped to get everybody on the same page.  If you're not having fun then there's no sense in doing this.

I moved out west and got an emergency replacement team out here.  Basically myself and a good friend, and another driver or three that we invite as needed.  Everybody gets along great, life is good.

I hope you can make it work, the Spitfire is one car I really enjoy seeing on the track.

bs

Yeah.. after the dust settles we will get together and figure it out.   One guy races an MGB classic race car (he was the one in the RX7 wreck) and was also hit at Button Turrible. He likely will not race Lemons anymore understandably .. with his luck.

My pops is likely going to team up with Spank for Sears Pointless 2014

I am getting married in May 2014.. and that is important for me.. I also have lots of weekend work Jan-March so doubt I can get the car ready or even the weekend off for the race.. Then June I will be traveling so no Button Turrible. 

Maybe I will rent the car out to some local folks if they are up for the work to get it ready.  Full package with truck and trailer to haul it with.

I love racing and Lemons .. I wont be gone long.

My Crappy Blog

socal.colin wrote:

A solid great 4 man team that is always there to help, can wrench, and get along.. is hard to impossible to come by..

Out of 7 team members we have a core of three that almost always show up. The other four drive one or two events a year. It is a weird thing, putting so many people together to try and achieve a common goal with so many clashing personalities. Sometimes chemistry does not work out, that is human nature. I hope you rebuild a good core group so you can enjoy your time at the track and the Lemons racing experience. If you are looking for a ride let me know. I can probably work it out for a race or two this year on the west coast.

'13  Sonoma - Class B Crown Vic, 14 Sonoma IOE - Race Rambler!, Autobahn Class C+IOE #Racevan!, '15 Thill IOE Winner - Omega!, '16 Ridge - IOE - Avanti!, '17 THill Class C Winner - Omega, Butt IOE - Race 411, Sonoma IOE - Aztek '18 Butt - IOE - Allante, MSR - IOE - '41 Olds - '19 Butt-Class C - Allante, '20 Covid, '21 THill-Class B - Omega, Sonoma - IOE and HWG  - Satellite, '22 Sonoma - HWG-Tojan

After reading this thread it makes me realize how much I was blessed with the teammates we had this year.  We had seven guys on the team this year (including me), five of which I had not met before and all five of them were from different states.

I am sure that we may have said or did some things that got on each other's nerves, but everyone kept their egos and mouths in check and came together as a team each of our three races this year.

Colin, don't let one rough weekend get you down.  Learn from the issues and come back better than before.

Oh, and congrats on the upcoming marriage!

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

So when are you going got start with the rotary into spitfire swap?

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

Parkwod60 wrote:

So when are you going got start with the rotary into spitfire swap?

+1.   Failure is impossible with this plan.

I've been there with the team friction thing.  The "team" I had when I built my first Lemons car turned out to be a bunch of wanna-be's.  Luckily I was able to lean on some of my oldest and dearest friends to pull through that dark patch and actually get the thing on the track.

FWIW, my two cents is that you need either A) a team of people who are equally obsessed and insane as you are, or B) do it ALL on your own and treat the rest of the team as just another logistical challenge.

I've only done one race a year so far.. why?  Because getting everyone together for more than that is a lot of work... and I'm here for the fun.  Nuts to work; I already do enough of that.

If it ain't broken, fix it 'til it is.

If we were racing alone.. yeah ..rx7 stuffed into he spit would be stupid fun . But i am not the kind of crazy to do it. Not putting ny friends or family in that trap

I am not that insane, or skilled. 

The guys on our teams were all skilled in their own ways.   We just all need a bit more space is all.

Well.. and an additude adjustment for some..

And as captain i needed to organize and set us up with some ground rules and a plan .. i went up their just saying sure yeah w/e.   Normally as captain i did my job.. this time not so much.

If there is a power void, (like an open .. well yeah) some dick will force his way in it.

My Crappy Blog

I wonder how much of your problems are mechanical which then lead to the personnel problems?

Doesn't the average driver get grumpy when they spend money and time and the car breaks down right away?

One car broken and the other wrecked, that's enough to piss off the pope.

Our spitfire actually runs a lot. Our track record is really good with it.  It ran 1 hour sat and all but 40 mins on sunday. The car handling was not good... but i was the last to drive it. Really was completely manigable.

The wreck was mid day sunday...

Most the social issues were a problem early on.

We have done an axle, trans, and motor swap in one race.. with overheating problems do to a dizzy slip... but we had no problems then.

I guess it is hard to explain unless you were in our group. Just mainly a vent.

My Crappy Blog

I have had some similar experiences with this sort of thing.  I started out racing off road where I bought, built and prepped everything.  I would get some occasional help from friends but I ran the show.  since there is a co-driver/navigator there was plenty of pay off for those who helped (they ride/navigate for free).  This seemed  to work the best but I am a control freak around the race car so.....

Last year we started in the Lemons series.   A friend and I (was originally planned to be 3 owner car) ended up building the car and getting drivers for the races. 

I have had to learn to let go a little and give up control since I am not the sole owner of the car/team.  We have had some conflicts, some feeling hurt and I'm sure some people don't come back to the races because of this.   I have had a hard time just going with the flow if I think the flow is going the wrong way.  Sharing capt duties is tough for me but I am learning.  At the 24 race in Houston this year, he was captain and I was 2nd in command.  Things went well until I got home and found the trailer loaded up wrong and the car not strapped down properly.  I could move the car about 1.5 feet inside the trailer, tie downs going over tool boxes, and 4 straps ruined from rubbing on car or equipment.  I was last to drive and showed as the team loaded the trailer for the drive home. I should mention I own the trailer and all the tools/equipment so no loss to anyone but me.  My partners solution was put it on the team books so it only cost me half of replacement value.  Remember that part about I own all of the equipment?  I have already paid 100% for the first ones so paying 50% for a 2nd set is a deal right?  And I got to unload the entire thing myself.

Also, from my experience, having a smooth day at the race didn't help.  We have placed 2nd in both races and I have yelled at at least one person in both races pissing them off.  I tend to be loud anyway and if you are the type to "get a bigger hammer" when things don't go your way I tend to get pissed off since it was my money and hours put into building and prepping the race car.  But I contend that racing can have serious consequences so some level of doing it the right way matters. 

The last race an A/D couldn't get the hood pin in/latched and he started banging on the hood, I said it goes in easily if you have it right and he kept on banging on it.   Finally I snapped at him and yelled stop banging on it and he got pissed and left the pit for a while.  The other A/D still hasn't paid in full for the race (in Sept, now Dec). 

So I think I am going back to the A/D people and going to just charge more to cover me busting my ass to do everything and not having any expectations for the A/D except in the drivers seat.  One of the A/Ds acts like he is a paid driver for some Le Mon prototype team anyway so might as well treat him like that.  Also has to do with personalities. 

I know I have put at least 6 people in a race car for their first time racing and at least 2x that many in the navigators seat during a race.  I love racing but you can't do it alone and on some of the bad days, you question why you do it at all. I won't stop racing, and keep looking for good guys who don't have an ego or attitude with a thick skin.

I have been pretty close to selling it all and buying a shifter cart.  I can build and race that thing by myself and my 8 year daughter is just about the right age to start her career in auto racing.

Teamgravy Racing > join us please @ http://www.facebook.com/Teamgravy

IOE winner & 2nd place Class C - North Dallas Hooptie 2013
2nd place Class C - Gator-o-Rama 2013

Finding a good group of people is key. I've been on good and bad teams (not just for racing), and when it's a bad team things just suck. I'm lucky in that my Lemons team is awesome. We have minor hiccups here and there, but for the most part everyone gets along and is willing to put in the effort.

Sounds like you have a busy year outside Lemons for 2014. Go enjoy getting married, if you miss racing find an arrive and drive at some point, and come back to leading the spitfire after all of that. We all need a break now and then.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Thanks guys.. yeah I really just needed to vent.   Had dinner with family last night and my dad and I were laughing about most of it.

I am now planning to get the Spitfire to a race late 2014, be it Arse-Freeze @ Sonoma or maybe try Thunderhill since I have yet to drive there.  I will just start with some solid ground rules, make sure people get their own arrangements for a place to sleep, etc..

hotdogwater wrote:

I have been pretty close to selling it all and buying a shifter cart.  I can build and race that thing by myself and my 8 year daughter is just about the right age to start her career in auto racing.

+1 on this.. My pops got me started in karts. Such an awesome idea to get your daughter into it, see if she likes it.  Road racing karts was fun, but when he took me to dirt oval with the kart, I still think to this day that was some of the most fun I have had in any type of motor vehicle.

My Crappy Blog

15 (edited by magpiemini 2013-12-13 10:35 AM)

We tried to cut corners by not machining the crank, just got new bearings and everything seemed tight. I swear I torqued the rod bolts. We will not know what failed until the tear down. I was seriously thinking about putting the RX7 drive train in the Spit but most of it is sold already. Besides we have a lot of engines, some low compression heads and a small turbo to put in the Spit. We have plenty of insane things to keep us having fun in the Spitfire.

I spread the drivers to far when we took on the RX7 and a second team. We will be back with a good driver lineup and some cheater stuff in the Spitfire to send Phil and Jay into the Ozone.  We just need a break this spring and like Colin said, his wedding takes priority. Although I did suggest they get married at Buttonwillow and have the ceremony in the Spitfire while cruising around the track in reverse.  I know I could mic it and have it broadcast on the track PA and live on the internet.

socal.colin wrote:

I am now planning to get the Spitfire to a race late 2014, be it Arse-Freeze @ Sonoma or maybe try Thunderhill since I have yet to drive there.

We are hoping to step up our game and run two whole races next year, one of which will hopefully be Thunderhill. I don't think we would take the Mini, but if we get the Landcrab sorted, we hope to bring it down.

Silversleeves Racing https://www.facebook.com/groups/487324281329732
Ford/Lotus Cortina #41, Austin Mini #42, MG1100 #44, Barbie's Corvette #44, Mazda Miata #48, Austin 1800 #49

We got lucky this year, in that we had a solid team of 4 guys who all have decent skills and all get along with each other. Somehow we managed to scrape together enough drivers to field 2 cars at MSR, and then when the K car did what the K car does best, we put everyone in the Dart. I was a little worried about some of the rookie drivers, but somehow no one got hurt or fucked up too bad. In fact, I racked up most of the BFs myself.

Unfortunately, one of our solid core just moved to Germany for a year, so he'll be out for at least one race and all work sessions, and another of the core group is about to join the Navy. So for the time being, it's basically me and Bob and whoever we can scrape together. Luckily the car isn't broken, but we do have some major plans for making it faster and more ridiculous that we may be sorely underskilled to put into effect.

18 (edited by Junkyard Dog 2013-12-13 07:53 PM)

I ran the show with my team for 4 years (intelligent people I have known for a while and love dearly) and I discovered I do not make a good team captain. I'm great with fabrication, adjustments, diagnosing crap but when it comes to motivating people and not yelling due to pressure and frustration I am not real good at that. sad I'm much happier and more productive with someone else massaging personalities leaving me to wrench/drive.

Hey, if you want a reliable power boost for the Spitfire the 2.3/2.5 Ford 4 banger is a good choice.  As the prior builder/owner of a rotary Spitfire I can promise you it ain't real easy to do.

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)