Topic: SCCA New England Region adds ITEZ For Lemons

Haven't seen this posted anywhere here... forgive me if it has & I didn't find it... announced back on DEC 16...

NER Club Racing is adding a new class for regional racing in 2014.

2014 New England Region Rules

Improved Touring - EZ

The purpose of ITEZ is to create a regional class where cars built for ChumpCar or Lemons racing, or for cars that could be ITE legal but do not belong in the fast race group, to have a place to race on an SCCA Regional race weekend. As opposed to any other class of SCCA road racing, ITEZ competition is designed as a "fun run" class, without any promise of intent of performance equitability. ITEZ is designed to provide a way for drivers to earn an SCCA racing license and race in regional competition, with the absolute lowest cost vehicle. In no way will any waivers be considered or granted in areas regarding safety of vehicle or driver.

ITEZ vehicles may race with prior accident damage, as long as that prior damage does not create a danger to the driver of that vehicle or fellow competitors.
Non-functional additions to vehicles, whose primary purpose is to express creativity, theme, are allowed only if do not create a potential safety hazard to the driver or fellow competitors

ITEZ eligible vehicles
Must be a "mass produced", gas or diesel powered, four wheel passenger car.
Minimum weight of 1800 pounds and a maximum weight of 4000 pounds and a production-based engine.
Tires must conform to applicable Improved Touring rules, i.e., must be DOT rated tires, and sizes must be consistent with allowable dimensions per the GCR. 190 wear-dated tires are not mandated, but they may be used if the racer prefers.
Preparation regarding brakes, suspension, and engine must meet either Chumpcar rules or SCCA Improved Touring rules

2014 NER schedule at the NER.org forums

One of the usual two "School Days" for getting an SCCA Licence is likely going to be May 23 at NHMS with the other possibly July 11 at Thompson would be my guess at this point.

Re: SCCA New England Region adds ITEZ For Lemons

Minimum weight of 1800 pounds....

Nope.  Well, that saves us a trip to New England.  I'd have a hard time referring to the 96 as "improved" anyway.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

I hope this is going to catch on in more areas. I would love more track time.

Yeah, me too. I'm looking at doing the road course school at englishtown in March just to get some test and tune time on the Cortina. Some people have told me the track is small, poorly prepped and lacking facilities...

But I think that's worth $125 for 6 hours to MAYBE find something that's about to break before a Lemons weekend... Don't get me wrong.. I love wrenching, but I love actually being on track a touch more.

Blackmaven MotorSports -  Supporting the United Leukodystrophy Foundation - www.ulf.org
FOR SALE! '68 Ford Cortina - BUY ME HERE!
'04 Mitsu in the works
BlackmavenMotorsports on Facebook

It'll be quite funny when a car with a giant duck head or turtle sand box goes flying by half of the IT cars

I beleive our mustang was an ITB or C before it became a lemon.  Power has doubled since we bought it...

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Seems like the $$$ to Lap ratio is going to be kinda out of whack....And how they going to deal with cars like ours that are WAY overprepped for IT? A 3 foot engine setback and Jag rear suspension in a 65 Rambler is going to certainly run afoul of IT rules. To say nothing of the swapped in 454 Chevy. Admittedly has been awhile since I had a actual paper copy of the GCR.....I'm pretty sure it was back in about '02 that I ever so maliciously burned my copy and hadn't really considered going back......Still, I might. Guess I'm going to re-read some stuff.....any idea on if this might happen in the Rocky Mountain Division?

Captain of the Speedholes Wrenching #365 1965 Rambler Marlin and owner of the "Cockroach 454 Chevy Bigblock". Collector Emeritus of awful crapcans.
Earned every finish with Blood, Sweat, Tears,  Smoked brakes,dead wheelbearings, two blower explosions, and a never-ending thirst for more fuel. Finished em all! Currently hiding in a secret base in the shadow of the "Race to the Clouds".

7 (edited by Dix 2014-01-09 11:53 AM)

SeldomSeen wrote:

A 3 foot engine setback and Jag rear suspension in a 65 Rambler is going to certainly run afoul of IT rules. To say nothing of the swapped in 454 Chevy.

As I understand it... go ahead & bring it... seems many of the "usual" IT rules aren't going to apply to ITEZ.

An exception to that would seem to be brakes... which must conform to either IT or ChumpCar rules for brakes... which in the case of SCCA IT rules means 4 brakes that work & unmodified OEM calipers, rotors and/or drums.

Other than that, as long as the tire tread doesn't stick out past the bodywork & it meets general safety rules.

Up here you'll have to meet the noise level spec too... can't remember what the exact dB limit is off the top of my head... but I doubt it's much different from what you likely have to conform to for the Lemons race at NH.

Basically, kind of a "run what you brung" deal similar to the "catchall" FS formula car class... just realize that the C class beater you've got is going to be running in the same class as that BMW... but it's just for fun/testing/general track time... so who cares?

The whole idea is an easy way for Lemons or Chump car guys to get an SCCA licence if they so desire and/or those that live where they have a very limited chance to race (like up here there's only one Lemons race at NH) a chance to get some additional track time.

As for getting this in other areas... find out what SCCA Region usually runs the events at whatever track is nearby to you & see if you can get them interested... it would need to be done on the regional level by that region... see if that region has a web message board & maybe post the idea there or e-mail its director with a copy or link to the NE region's rules.... might work on getting the idea going.

What I thought was funny was I posted this over on the ChumpCar board as well... it generated the same kind of reaction & interest (like getting it done in other areas)... I went to post a similar reply over there but the whole topic got deleted... seems whoever runs the ChumpCar board doesn't think much of the idea. lol

8 (edited by RobL 2014-01-09 01:10 PM)

FYI The South Jersey Region of the SCCA made a class for Lemons cars last year. 

http://www.njrrs.com/

I don't know why that website is not coming up...

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

9 (edited by WarpdSpazm 2014-01-09 01:48 PM)

New Address maybe Rob?
http://www.sjr-scca.org/

I don't see anything there about a Lemons/Chump category though...

Blackmaven MotorSports -  Supporting the United Leukodystrophy Foundation - www.ulf.org
FOR SALE! '68 Ford Cortina - BUY ME HERE!
'04 Mitsu in the works
BlackmavenMotorsports on Facebook

10 (edited by Dix 2014-01-09 02:08 PM)

And Jersey's "LeChump" is based on what the Oregon region was doing... so you guys in the Jersey & Oregon areas already have that going.

Difference between those & what NE did is that up here it's a "one class fits all" type deal focused more on just track time/fun run type thing as opposed to any kind of "competition" (real, implied, or imagined) lol

The NARRC website is also down... maybe the same guy was doing both that and the NJRRS site & forgot to pay the bill.

If you want to see the Jersey "LeChump" rules it's still in Google's cache...

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s … mp;ct=clnk

WarpdSpazm wrote:

New Address maybe Rob?
http://www.sjr-scca.org/

I don't see anything there about a Lemons/Chump category though...

It was the New Jersey Road Race Series.  They do have a Lemons class like I said.  Like Dix said, they probably didn't pay their hosting bill and it got turned off.  I can get more info if you'd like.

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

I emailed Lisa at Thunderhill who is SCCA rep knew nothing of this class .

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

This is good for us NorthEast guys but the additional expense of conformity is not in our budget.  We look forward to the TWO races at NHMS and with only one this year is a major downer.

No WGI,  no NY Safety Track, no Monticello might be a two event only year.  with one being at NJ and the Halloween race.

Aren't there two NJ races this year? 
•    May 10-11: New Jersey Motorsports Park (NJ), apply by March 1
•    Aug 9-10: New Jersey Mtrspts Park (NJ, go figure), apply by May 31

Yes there is....logistics of that is not working for our team for the late summer race.

Figures. Brakes are the one thing that damn Marlin really needs bad. Am planning on buying one of those C5 Corvette bolts-on-to-Camaro kits they sell. Am running 81 Camaro front suspension and the brakes will toast in no time if ya really run the car to It's real potential. So probably no SCCA racing for us.

Captain of the Speedholes Wrenching #365 1965 Rambler Marlin and owner of the "Cockroach 454 Chevy Bigblock". Collector Emeritus of awful crapcans.
Earned every finish with Blood, Sweat, Tears,  Smoked brakes,dead wheelbearings, two blower explosions, and a never-ending thirst for more fuel. Finished em all! Currently hiding in a secret base in the shadow of the "Race to the Clouds".

My concern is that they'll start getting picky about what cars can and cannot run. And If I have to run brakes that came on a 65 AMC... well, lets not even think about that....Trust me, even the current Camaro brakes just don't haul a 3660 lb car with a huge lump of iron under the dash down nearly good enough. Our car is just so far from even average Lemons cars that I'm pretty sure the SCCA tech stewards are going to have a real hard time swallowing ANY story about this car fitting into an IT class. Even if it does have relaxed rules. The brake problem I'm going to fix anyway cause we totally boiled all the fluid out of the calipers a few times resulting in not enough brakes to slow the car adequately to keep from driving it right of the track. At considerable speed in my case. I went seriously weed farming and scared the crap outta myself.  As a result got my first-ever black flag for driving off the race surface. WAY OFF. So, brakes are gonna happen. They just have to. Anyhow I care a hell of a lot more about Lemons than SCCA anyway.

So does the driver have to be fully SCCA licensed?

The rules say that the basic Lemons legal car is also legal for this class (marlins & cessnas excepted).

It's not a car that makes it hard to play w/ SCCA.  You can buy castoff IT Rabbit for $1000 all day.
It's the school that is a pain in the wallet.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

FJ40Jim wrote:

So does the driver have to be fully SCCA licensed?

The rules say that the basic Lemons legal car is also legal for this class (marlins & cessnas excepted).

It's not a car that makes it hard to play w/ SCCA.  You can buy castoff IT Rabbit for $1000 all day.
It's the school that is a pain in the wallet.

Yes, the driver(s) need to be SCCA licensed.  The Lemons car can be used for the school. 

Here in the NE they are hoping that the 'alternate licensing' approach will take root.  That is that you can present your existing racing resume to the areas drivers rep. and they can determine if they want to let you bypass the school and grant you a provisional license.

I think that the SCCA way of doing things, while intended to be safe fun and relatively affordable has missed the mark or not kept up with the times.....I mean I gave up 10 years ago. Walked away. Said screw-it and a fair number of other things. Was DONE with car racing. Even when CadillacBob first told me all about Lemons I was fairly ambivalent (or something) said no thanks and went on with my life...... It took a strange turn of events to get me involved. Turns of events that I'm now 5 years later wondering if they were totally made up bullshit to get me involved whether I was willing or not! In fact, I'm going to start a post on here about how you got involved/suckered into Lemons. BTW BOB, I'm not bitter you evil sonofabitch!

SeldomSeen wrote:

I think that the SCCA way of doing things, while intended to be safe fun and relatively affordable has missed the mark or not kept up with the times.....I mean I gave up 10 years ago. Walked away. Said screw-it and a fair number of other things. Was DONE with car racing. Even when CadillacBob first told me all about Lemons I was fairly ambivalent (or something) said no thanks and went on with my life...... It took a strange turn of events to get me involved. Turns of events that I'm now 5 years later wondering if they were totally made up bullshit to get me involved whether I was willing or not! In fact, I'm going to start a post on here about how you got involved/suckered into Lemons. BTW BOB, I'm not bitter you evil sonofabitch!

Speaking for the New England Region (though not as the head of the road racing program which will be responsible for fleshing out the ruleset for this ITEZ concept), I'm sorry you went through that with the club. I joined in 2005, a bright eyed teenager looking to be a corner worker, so it wasn't me! But the club has finally been acknowledging and fixing its problems when it comes to being too uptight and asshole-ish for its own good. There have been some culture changes which have made things more easygoing (I think I can generalize to that extent), and, while these things take some time to happen, I think they will continue to improve. In the past an idea like this would have received a condescending chuckle with shaken heads - a firm OF COURSE NOT! It's a sign for the better that this sort of thing has even been considered, let alone implemented.

If you're considering bringing your car to one of our events, don't be afraid to engage in communication with our road racing chairpersons (you can meet a lot of them in Marlboroguh, MA on February 8 at The Racers Expo) to help in forming the class rules. A dozen or so of our region's drivers have been a part of a Lemons team at some point, but not so much the current program leadership - so they're willing to listen.

With regards to licensing, Rob is right in that talking with one of the club/region's decisionmakers will be your best avenue. In the past the requirements for a license were straightforward, but rigid and arduous. Now they're quite flexible (we can count certain previous experience and send a steward and instructor out to watch your test session or HPDE for a fast-track approval), but there's a less definitive path to qualification. So, I can recommend contacting your local region's Chief Driving Instructor or Divisional Licensing Administrator. For NER that's Alan Dunklee (find him on the contact page here) and Pete Smith. They'd be able to let you know what you've already done which could count toward your license, what you will still need to do, and what is on offer in terms of upcoming racing schools or alternatives.

I AM  glad that the SCCA is considering these kinds of classes for Lemons/Chump/Whatever as a means of getting people involved in what really has been the ladder you have traditionally climbed to race the pro roadcourse type racing. Many SCCA participants have gone on to some great things and turned into great pro drivers. But really, they are just playing catch up now. Jay and Crew have put hundreds of new people in racecars every year over the last few years. All without all the provisional permits and driver schools and cost-additive crap that, while very well intentioned, makes expensive racing even more expensive. To top it off, now having driven in 4 seasons of Lemons racing, my fellow competitors, some/many of which have never raced door -to-door aside of our maniacal Interstate highway system. In a series that requires merely that you have driving priviledge in the state you reside in and the ability to squander the princely sum of $50 and attend a 15 minute session on flags and driving properly, I have seen WAY fewer wrecks and altercations both off and on track.....The Marlin having been driven by over 15 people of varying experience ranging from none to very experienced over 4 years has never been in any incident involving contact with any other participant. Anyhow, just for yucks I'll give the Rocky mountain division a jingle and see if they laugh me off the phone....I really don't have high hopes.....

I really like this idea--I'd love to jump into club racing, but don't have the car for it yet.

The only issue is that it seems like a bit of a hard sell to folks used to hours of racing for not too much money. What are the entry fees for events like? FWIW, the licensing school itself doesn't seem too expensive, at least in TX.

ninjacoco wrote:

I really like this idea--I'd love to jump into club racing, but don't have the car for it yet.

The only issue is that it seems like a bit of a hard sell to folks used to hours of racing for not too much money. What are the entry fees for events like? FWIW, the licensing school itself doesn't seem too expensive, at least in TX.

I just got this from my local region:

Second, we have a heck of a Drivers' School planned for March 29-30, at rollback pricing - only $199 !  We haven't seen these kinds of prices since the last century!

And finally, any novice permit holder who completes the DC Region's 2014 school will be charged an entry fee of only $199 for each of the region's first three MARRS events at Summit Point (April 12-13, June 21-22, and July 12-13, 2014) - same pricing as Drivers' School!  You can go from novice to fully licensed racing driver in only a few short months.

Prices vary depending on what kind of deal the region can work out with that particular track... basicaly, the bigger & more "prestigious" the facility, the higher the pricetag... generally speaking.

Up here, a typical weekend at NHMS is usually in the $350-$400-ish range... if memory serves without consulting my checkbook... which typically gives you 40+ laps of racing (3 qual/race sessions) and one 20-30 minute qualifying session.

The track also usually holds a Friday "test & tune" day open to that weekend's competitors which makes for some pretty cheap track time relatively speaking... generally 3 "groups" that get rotating 20 minute sessions all day... you can get in a lot of laps for the $150 pricetag. (NHMS price, others may vary)

Even if its not your first lap around a racetrack, an SCCA "school day" gets you a lot of track time for the price... bring some help & have them fuel the car, check tires, etc between sessions because you won't have a lot of extra time for it... you run your session, go to the classroom debrief, & then go back out & jump in for your next session... & that's pretty much the routine all day.