1 (edited by CaptainCardigan 2014-08-01 12:58 PM)

Topic: 1984 Mercedes 300D Tune-Up

Alright, SpaceFrank bought a 1984 Mercedes 300D from an 'exotic dancer'. If you're surprised, don't be. It's the five cylinder turbo-diesel with 240k miles and a slew of broken bits.

Anywho, it runs like a....well...nevermind... It runs bad, just plain bad. So, we are thinking of doing a tune-up on the clattering heart - an OM617.912 (Thanks Wikipedia!).

For those of you willing to out yourselves as knowledgeable about old diesel 'Benzes, what would you do for a budget friendly tune-up?

Let's assume the maintenance was dependent on a 'good nights performance...', so not very good.

Captain of Virtuous Authority and Tool Underdevelopment: Escape Velocity Racing
- Ten+ Time Loser
- IOE, Heroic Fix, Class C and Class of 1964
- Heroic Beer Drinker

Re: 1984 Mercedes 300D Tune-Up

More than likely the valves are tight.  Put a rag under it and take off the linkage over the valve cover.   Buy the wrenches to adjust the valves.  You can do it without them but it is much easier with them.  Adjust the valves just a little loose, it makes better power.  Change all THREE fuel filters,  one is under the tank.  It looks like a drain plug but is a filter.  The other two are under the hood.  Put a double dose of Seafoam in the tank,

Google search "Italian Tune-up"  That means to warm up the engine drop it into second gear and red line the engine for a minute or so up a hill.  It works.

Check the lines on the turbo.  They may be split.

That will do it.

b

This space for rent.

The Italian Tune-Up

The Italian tune-up - at least in a diesel [although it applies to a gas car too - Ed] consists of taking a SOUND car out and maximally accelerating from stop or slow speed to some high speed OR driving at near full rpm with a heavy load (up long hill) for minutes at a time. The idea is to get maximal air and fuel flowing through the engine to develop near maximum heat. This will burn and eject residual carbon that has collected in the engine. Following such a regimen the idle is usually smoother and the amount of black smoke at full throttle should be reduced. This occasionally does not happen the 1st time and the idle might get rougher or a pronounced knock could occur. This is usually because some carbon has been "rearranged" but the prechamber environment isn't appropriate for smooth combustion. Further TREATMENT will clear this up as more carbon is burned up, but it is a little scary the 1st time it happens to YOU and your car!
A few full throttle accelerations a week will usually keep most CLEAN engines cleaned out pretty well. More prolonged "treatment" is usually required for a car that has had a LOT of city driving. Just a long highway trip (50+ miles) with several two-three minute full throttle periods (long 6-8% grades are GREAT) will clean out an awful lot of carbon and crud that's build up, but with a really "city bound car" it may may take more than just a few sessions to really get it all out. My weekly 250 mile trips from Pittsburgh to Washington DC and back over the last 7 years have given me a chance to really examine the "Italian tune-up" and the concept of "flailing the heck out of the MB diesel engine" or at least running it at near full throttle/top speed for a long period of time.

I referred to a "SOUND" car. To me that means a car that NO serious mechanical problems. The chain stretch should be below 5 degrees or so, the valves should be properly adjusted, the air and fuel filters should be verifiably clean, and there should be clean and it would probably be best if the injection pump timing is known to be pretty close to correct (within a couple of degrees). The cars/engines I presently own, have THRIVED on this regimen. Idle smooths out, smoking diminishes, and fuel and oil consumption goes down. I can't promise that on an engine that's worn out, but nobody else can either ;-)

Marshall Booth

This space for rent.

Couldn't have said it better me self, I drive two of these daily. set the valve clearances, change the filters, stand on the pedal, that's about it.

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Thanks for the info, Bob!

It's also either leaking or burning about a quart of oil every 500 miles. We really need to go through that engine compartment with a fine tooth comb and see what's leaking.

Adjust the valves first.  it will have massive blow by if they are too tight.

b

This space for rent.

7 (edited by FPRbuzz 2014-08-03 06:56 PM)

I swear we picked up 15hp doing a proper valve job. It's a bitch without the proper wrenches. We bought some cheap wrenches and modified them ourselves.

The other thing that is huge is injector nozzels. It was about a 2 hour job for one person. The car went from missing at idle, to idling beautifully. It also comes off idle much better.
https://mercedessource.com/store/5-cyli … at-shields

If it's an issue(and it will be one day) the primer pump will die. Don't buy the cheap one. This one primes in like 10 pumps max.
https://mercedessource.com/store/heavy- … rimer-pump

While the injectors are out we did glow plugs. The car loves it some glow plugs.

This is about it we've done to our OM617 powered car, and you've seen how fast it is... We've also got a straight pipe!

Planet Express
"IOE" "C Win" 4834.701 Race Miles and counting
Toyocedes
"Least Southern Pickup Truck" "IOE" "C win" "C win (again?)"

Last weekend we did the front brakes; the pads were okay, but the rotors were butt terrible. Also replaced all four tie rod ends. Both outer ones were bent; I'm guessing the lady checked a curb at speed more than once. It definitely handles better now. EVR Bob (Captain Cardigan) took one for the team and started sorting out electrical issues. Some things are fixed, other problems have been uncovered. Used turn signal switch and window switch are on order.

The only engine-related work we've done so far is disconnect the EGR. I'll probably hook it back up once everything else is tuned properly, but for now a little extra power is nice. Next on the agenda is to clean out the fuel tank strainer, replace the filters, and do the valve adjustment. It is currently limited to a top speed of about 80, which usually drops to 70-75 after driving for 25-30 minutes. It sounds like this is probably from fuel blockage.

It looks like the valve adjustment tool is just a crow's foot on a 3/8" drive extension bent in a lazy Z shape. Can anyone tell me how much the offset on the extension is? I'm planing to make my own. Just going by the pictures I've found, the offset looks like 3/4" or 1". I'm guessing it's not that critical, though.

On our ghetto homemade wrench(that works!) the bend is 1.5" from the end of the tool. It's a ~45* bend.

Planet Express
Toyocedes

So you're just using an open-end wrench with a bend? That will probably be easier. What size wrench?

14mm
Don't get me wrong, the real tools probably make it much easier, but our method worked for us.

Planet Express
Toyocedes

I posted a picture of the Hazet valve adjustment set on my Formula None FB page (link in sig) with a ruler for scale.  The third tool is a 12-point 32mm wrench that holds the cap on the valve spring and a stand that rests on the valve cover.  Not a must, but it helps hold things in place when you're tightening the locknut.  I'd be happy to send the set to you and pick it up next race. (CMP?)  I haven't worked on many Mercedes diesels since '84, and I sold my old 300SD in '99, so it's not a vital tool for me.

I would also suggest an injector pump timing check.  A good thing to do on high-mileage vehicles and can make a big difference in power and drivability.  Of course, it requires a special tool, but you might be able to make one.
https://mercedessource.com/store/615-61 … -drip-tube

And FYI, the vacuum system is about as complicated as the electrical, and the two are very much interconnected.  If you buy a manual, make sure it has a vacuum diagram.

Formula None
Because Saab Turbos have too much power
Inexplicably OC @ Humidi TT 2014