Topic: tow vehicle vs towED vehicle... round 1, FIGHT !

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn40/noxneon/rx7%20tow%20truck/tn_SDC10300.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn40/noxneon/rx7%20tow%20truck/tn_SDC10303.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn40/noxneon/rx7%20tow%20truck/tn_SDC10298.jpg

She was mighty squirrelly getting onto the freeway in the rain, but once I got her going, only problem was the battery in the red car kept dying, killing the hazard lights, and making cops think I was being followed.

But I got it from Everett washington, to portland oregon, almost 5,000 pounds with all my equipment inside the tow vehicle.  On a 1.1 litre, naturally aspirated AND unmodifiied.  225 miles.

I am a torque master...

A quote from TheEngineer "you have a lot of confidence for someone looking to play with chrysler parts."
A professionals quote "so what if that comma in the price tag of your rig is in the same spot the period is on mine, I STILL beat you smile"

Re: tow vehicle vs towED vehicle... round 1, FIGHT !

paging mharrell

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

paging mharrell

Yeah, yeah, I was on my lunch break.

Here you go:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2861/13450695943_3ccef07c0d.jpg

Shoreline, Washington, to Thunderhill Raceway and back.  Total distance 1400 miles.  Fun!

The race car only covered ten laps on Saturday before the engine seized, then two more the next day before blowing up, but at least the towing went well.

The Siskiyous really are quite scenic at low speeds.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Bicycle frames? Really? Having broken axles and bent bicycle frames when I applied over 200lbs of force to 1 pedal I must say you are either stupid or crazy.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

Parkwod60 wrote:

Bicycle frames? Really? Having broken axles and bent bicycle frames when I applied over 200lbs of force to 1 pedal I must say you are either stupid or crazy.

Yeah, I hate to be the squidward of the party but at some point a line does have to be drawn between "doing funny and interesting shit in a controlled environment" and "endangering the public." I think that tow bar may have crossed into the latter category.

Idle Clatter Racing: 1979 Mercedes 300SD Delivery Spaceship,  "Not all ideas are good."
Fall 2013 CMP I.O.E.
Shine Country Classic 2014 and Southern Discomfort: Showed Up; Didn't Blowed Up
Humidi TT: DOMINATION. Barber 2015: "Least Southern Pickup Truck"

ICAustinMiniMan wrote:

...at some point a line does have to be drawn....

I didn't notice those bicycle parts.  My own setup may look odd, but I believe it's all within manufacturer specs and meets legal requirements.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

I needed the car home...
Had an option and took it...
No one remembers except when I bring it up...
No one was hurt...

A quote from TheEngineer "you have a lot of confidence for someone looking to play with chrysler parts."
A professionals quote "so what if that comma in the price tag of your rig is in the same spot the period is on mine, I STILL beat you smile"

8 (edited by fiasco 2014-07-27 02:20 PM)

I'll just leave this here:

http://www.specialstage.com/wp-content/uploads/awpcp/1328632717_0.jpg

His current tow rig is an Impreza wagon…although rumor has it he's reshelling it into a Saab 9-2x.

fiasco wrote:

I'll just leave this here:

http://www.specialstage.com/wp-content/uploads/awpcp/1328632717_0.jpg

His current tow rig is an Impreza wagon…although rumor has it he's reshelling it into a Saab 9-2x.

Nothing wrong with that you couldn't cure with some Air Lift helper bags (though how you'd adapt them to an independent strut based rear is up to you). Or maybe just a weight distributing hitch.

Or this
http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LTW11/LTW11-UG-0502.jpg

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

I don't have any pictures of it but when I was young and stupid I flat towed a 72 Nova from Chicago to 60 miles north of Green Bay for a demolition derby with my 74 Datsun mini pickup that was loaded with all my tools. She was hard to get rolling but once she was it was a nice straight drive until you tried to stop all that weight. Probably some of the scariest moments of my life.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

So should I just ignore tow ratings when I decide on my next vehicle to buy? I was thinking about a Dodge Durango because of the towing capacity and seating capacity, but if I can just do it with a Honda Pilot or something, I would rather buy a better car.

Ratings in general are for those that lack imagination.

One exception is for something is being suspended over your head. I prefer less imagination there.

When gravity overcomes imagination.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQSTMYNqBW8

Formula None
Because Saab Turbos have too much power
Inexplicably OC @ Humidi TT 2014

Strand83 wrote:

So should I just ignore tow ratings when I decide on my next vehicle to buy? I was thinking about a Dodge Durango because of the towing capacity and seating capacity, but if I can just do it with a Honda Pilot or something, I would rather buy a better car.

Sort of.  The question is, how comfortable are you towing at 55 MPH, replacing transmissions using creative engineering to solve problems.  I am not even being sarcastic.

1976 Volvo 244, M45 tranny, B21F (max 91 hp) and 3:73 rear end.  Towed a 1000# trailer with THREE UJM's on it s a total of over 3000# (within the rated towing) but with at least a 600# tongue (double the rating).  Wind resistance off the chart, tongue length of about 6".  No trailer brakes.  Towed just fine.  0-60 MPh about 45 seconds.  60-braking distance about 4 miles.  Averaged almost 18 mpg in spite of all that.

The Pilot, if it existed in England, would probably have a tow rating of like 10,000#'s...at 50 mph.  I know the first gen Trooper with the 72 hp, NA diesel had a rating of 8,000#'s and it i only weighed like 3600#'s.

Yeah, in England their speeds are lower and trip distances are way, way lower.  Some of the tows we do here for Lemons races would land you in Tehran if you started in England. I'm not even joking.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

17 (edited by OnkelUdo 2014-08-15 07:28 PM)

dculberson wrote:

Yeah, in England their speeds are lower and trip distances are way, way lower.  Some of the tows we do here for Lemons races would land you in Tehran if you started in England. I'm not even joking.

Yep...completely agree.  That being said, I also believe that if you were willing to stick to those requirements, said vehicles would tow those loads...even to Tehran...if maintained properly.  The truth is that we are unwilling to live our lives that way hence our tow vehicles that can tow things at 70 MPH for 4 hours (max bathroom interval before resorting to a gatorade bottle) at a time until we reach Dakar...or Orlando.

18 (edited by ICAustinMiniMan 2014-08-16 07:06 AM)

I think the proper solution here is to simply not use a trailer...

http://imgur.com/1XR9njd.jpg

If you insist on using a trailer, just make sure it's with something suitably light and British. As an aside... "Tundra" green looks suspiciously similar to "Eastner" green.

http://i.imgur.com/epFhSV0.jpg

Idle Clatter Racing: 1979 Mercedes 300SD Delivery Spaceship,  "Not all ideas are good."
Fall 2013 CMP I.O.E.
Shine Country Classic 2014 and Southern Discomfort: Showed Up; Didn't Blowed Up
Humidi TT: DOMINATION. Barber 2015: "Least Southern Pickup Truck"

dculberson wrote:

No kidding.  In 2010 I used my MG Metro to tow my KV Mini 1 from Seattle to Chicago and back for The Micro/Mini Car World Meet, with my father along for the ride:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7167/6511396191_0eb89ca0ba_o.jpg

A guy who had flown from England to attend the show asked me to give his countrymen a hard time for using my British car to do this, inasmuch as for their own meets they had difficulty convincing people to travel even 100 miles.  I obliged by pointing out that Seattle-Chicago-Seattle was roughly equivalent to Birmingham-Istanbul-Birmingham, but with real mountains in the way and no assistance from a Chunnel.

Reactions were... mixed.

Strand83 wrote:

You should ignore the factory tow ratings if you are buying something made within the last 20 years or so. I'm sure  Honda Pilot would tow a racecar trailer just fine, if it had a manual transmission. Not certain if those are the same transmission as in the Odyssey, but the mini van is notorious for tranny failures. Not sure when they started doing it, but the manufacturers realized sometime in the 90s or so that if they under speced everything for towing they could sell a ton more high profit pick up trucks and SUVs

But, if you aren't going to buy your own trailer, you ignore Uhaul's ratings at the peril of not being able to rent a trailer. Also avoid Ford Explorers, because Uhaul does.

Why not tow your Swedish race car with a "Swedish" SUV? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_9-7X I think its tow rating is 6500lbs and its basically a Trailblazer SS with load leveling air suspension in the back

Actually one vehicle I passed up because I figured it would be at the limit was the Nissan Xterra 4x4. Having the ability to tow a race car or go offroading would be nice. The problem is that it is rated at 5k towing which I figured would be pushing it.

(ahem)

Y'all r a bunch of ninnies, what with your pairs/even numbers of wheels.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/t31.0-8/271547_2169190873870_3193346_n.jpg

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.