Topic: Rev Limiter for Honda Distributer

Anyone have experience with a reliable, inexpensive rev limiter setup for dizzies?

Since we have experienced more blown engines than laps (almost), I would like to install a rev limiter. We have an 80's honda with carbs and dizzy so no ECU/plug n play stuff will work here. I've read about MSD and DUI units but find either reviews saying they die and take the ignition with them in a fart of electronic smoke or they're fragile, etc ,etc.

Anyone have experience with a reliable, inexpensive rev limiter setup for dizzies?

organizer's choice 2011 Can't Git Bayou
judge's choice 2014 'Shine Country Classic
actually started AND finished a race 2014 Gator-O-Rama

Re: Rev Limiter for Honda Distributer

I've seen and used rev-limiting rotors in Bosch distributors.  Pretty bulletproof.  YMMV for Hondas.

Formula None
Because Saab Turbos have too much power
Inexplicably OC @ Humidi TT 2014

Try  one  of those tacos with rev limiter I used one for years. Upgrade car to D series  stock has 7200 rpm rev limiter

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

tacos? d swap is more than a little difficult in 80's preludes because of change in engine shift

fabtoys wrote:

Try  one  of those tacos with rev limiter I used one for years. Upgrade car to D series  stock has 7200 rpm rev limiter

I think fabtoy meant "Tachometer with built in rev limiter".

Dunno if anybody makes one still.  Mallory used to.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

I like tacos.   

Yummy

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

Team Sensory Assault wrote:

I like tacos.   

Yummy

Really?  That's it?  Aren't you supposed to recommend a Wankel swap?  So disappointed.

Van

13X losers (or is 14 now?) refusing to learn from our failures.
Organizer's Choice!  Trophy should have a bottle opener on it.

OOOOH. Taaaccooos. not tachyons or tachometers. big_smile

stimpyvan wrote:
Team Sensory Assault wrote:

I like tacos.   

Yummy

Really?  That's it?  Aren't you supposed to recommend a Wankel swap?  So disappointed.

Van

Wankels?   No, they are more like spinning Doritos, not tacos.   hmm

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--O61O7qAe--/18liqeyp754l3gif.gif

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

How about a block of wood under the go pedal?
That'd limit the engine load, as well as, rpm.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

fabtoys wrote:

Done. Found one on ebay. Thanks for the idea

12 (edited by Parkwod60 2014-10-08 08:45 PM)

We run a rev limiter on our late 70s Ford that is fully adjustable and cost $40 or less. For some reason in order to cut cost they eliminated the knob to adjust it. I mane, they just didn't push one on the shaft. Se ever sent it back and got a second one, which also was missing it. It should work on almost any car with a common coil and distributor. Considering how cheap it is I was surprised to learn that it interrupts every other spark when it hits the limit, just like a fancy factory unit.

I should add, it hasn't helped our blowing up the motor problem.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

Parkwod60 wrote:

I should add, it hasn't helped our blowing up the motor problem.

/sigh. Oh well. Every little bit and all that