Topic: Would you use old anti-freeze?

While cleaning out the garage we work in (which is my mother-in-laws) I found a couple of gallon jugs of anti-freeze that are still sealed. My father-in-law passed away 20 years ago so these have been sitting around for a while. Do you think they're still good? Would you use them?

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

Re: Would you use old anti-freeze?

On any car that has not issue with the coolant with phosphates in it...I would us it in a heartbeat.  Probably a great coolant for winter storage of your LeMon's car.

Some quick googling revealed that the older antifreeze formulas may not be good for aluminum block engines, and that different colors of antifreeze (green, orange, yellow) shouldn't be mixed, which for you isn't going to be an issue presumably.

Also, apparently antifreeze becomes more acidic over time, so maybe it might be best just to recycle those jugs and buy fresh.

Pucker Factor Racing - Gator-O-Rama, Feb '11, Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas!, Oct '11
Scuderia Ignorante - Yee-Haw, It's Lemons Texas, Feb '12 (As seen in Car & Driver), Gator-O-Rama, Sept '13

jimbo_se-r wrote:

Also, apparently antifreeze becomes more acidic over time, so maybe it might be best just to recycle those jugs and buy fresh.

I am pretty sure that is not for new, in the bottle.

Use it in the bucket traps for mice.

Sorry, I have mouse on the brain, our new house is infested.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

write curse words as you pour it out in the yard of your enemies.

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

Antifreeze is cheap enough why risk it?

I would toss

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners