1 (edited by zanzabar88 2014-10-24 10:02 AM)

Topic: catalytic converters anyone?

Does anyone leave them on? Or add a high flow one or whatever? We haven't run one, but a recent experience showed me how well they actually work (I was surprised at just how big of a difference it made) to remove HCs, ozone, etc., and in the interest of being nice to the planet I'm wondering if it's worth slapping one on our car.

Also, what are the downsides of this?

Captain of AFART Racing - 1987 and 1988 Toyota Supras
Captain of McDads/AFART Racing -1977 Lancia Scorpion (IOE Winner Sears Pointless 2021... wait, really?? YES, REALLY!!).
Captain of 42 Hours of MeLons (2013-14) - Vattenmelon Vagn 1984 Volvo 240, B-Class Winner: Arse-Freeze 2014

2 (edited by Spinnetti 2014-10-24 10:31 AM)

Re: catalytic converters anyone?

On a modern car, no real downside assuming its in good shape. The lex makes about the same power either way.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

I got $40 or $50 for mine at the recycler.  So... keep that in mind.

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

On the way home from purchasing the car it decided to disconnect the exhaust system from the cat back.  We never bothered to put it back on.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

BoB wrote:

On the way home from purchasing the car it decided to disconnect the exhaust system from the cat back.  We never bothered to put it back on.

You don't have any excessive exhaust smells wafting into the cabin of the car when the car is idling?

For me, the decision to delete the cats came when I decided to redo my exhaust to tuck it better under the car.
At that point, it was easier to replace the cats with larger diameter downpipes than cutting them off and welding them back on.
The fact that I got $140 for my set of 3 cats from sellyourcatsdirect.com was a nice bonus as well.
-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

zanzabar88 wrote:

Heat and a potential failure point.   Cats get warm and have been known to start fires if you stop in tall, dry grass.  It's also something that can clog and ruin your day.  That said, we've been running with our cat mostly because we've been too lazy to cut it out.  After ripping out most of our exhaust while pulling on the trailer, we'll be eliminating it with the replacement.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

If you do decide to eliminate your cats, don't be a me and use flex pipe and muffler clamps as the replacement system. After 2 races w/ repeated failures of that hokey setup we finally hauled the car to a muffler shop for welded in hard pipes.  At least we eliminated one trouble spot.

now... about that wheel that fell off..........

M45 Racing,
#45 '08 Subaru WRX,Winner class A The Ridge, 2022
#4  '63 Studebaker Avanti, IOE, The Ridge 2016
#19 '90 Thunderbird Super Coupe(retired) Organizers Choice Award, Sears 2015

Are you going to register it? If you're caught driving it on the street without a cat it's like a $50k fine supposedly. If it's empty is easy to claim ignorance, if it's gone, good luck.

You will lose a bit of power and if turbocharged can add a bit of lag as well. Some cars overboost when emptying out the cat (less system backpressure.)

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

Fewer parts is generally better and more reliable, unless it's important parts, like rods bolts or valve spring keepers.  S/F....Ken M

If you don't have O2 sensors downstream of the cat, then there is no need for it for racing.

If you are concerned about the environment, just think how much you are offsetting the lack of the cat by re-purposing your Lemon.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

gunn wrote:
BoB wrote:

You don't have any excessive exhaust smells wafting into the cabin of the car when the car is idling?

Well it disconnected when the person driving decided to check the acceleration of the newly purchased race car which caused some more of the rusty bits to give up.  It was less than 2 miles to my house from where he did that and like 2 lights were left so it didn't get to bad for the rest of the trip.

The exhaust was going to have to be redone since from the cat back it was about 50 % metal 50% rust holes, so we cut to where the exhaust was still good, and put all new exhaust pipes from there.  No fumes coming into the cabin.  Didn't see the use in paying lots of extra money for a new cat, especially since even if it was registered the state wouldn't inspect the car because it is too old.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Our minivan still has it, but that's only because exhaust is still all factory. Caught grass on fire once, so it certainly gets hot. It'll come off as soon as I'll feel like messing with the exhaust.

Think of all the nature you'll save around Norilsk by not buying a new converter wink

K Car Stalker

zanzabar88 wrote:

Does anyone leave them on? Or add a high flow one or whatever? We haven't run one, but a recent experience showed me how well they actually work (I was surprised at just how big of a difference it made) to remove HCs, ozone, etc., and in the interest of being nice to the planet I'm wondering if it's worth slapping one on our car.

Seriously?

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

firegremlin wrote:

Think of all the nature you'll save around Norilsk by not buying a new converter wink

Yeah right, I'm not buying a new cat. Scrounge up a used one maybe ... I know a guy.

Captain of AFART Racing - 1987 and 1988 Toyota Supras
Captain of McDads/AFART Racing -1977 Lancia Scorpion (IOE Winner Sears Pointless 2021... wait, really?? YES, REALLY!!).
Captain of 42 Hours of MeLons (2013-14) - Vattenmelon Vagn 1984 Volvo 240, B-Class Winner: Arse-Freeze 2014

someone should do a "worlds greenest lemon" theme, and add solar panels and as many catalytic converters as they can string together on the exhaust.   Maybe a hydrogen electrolysis set up too.

The Roto-Racer '89 Merkur:  If it ain't rusting, It ain't racing.

'14 Real Hoopties of NJ: Judges Choice

16 (edited by Cadillac Bob 2014-10-29 09:59 AM)

racinrob wrote:

If you don't have O2 sensors downstream of the cat, then there is no need for it for racing.

This.  But if you DO have upstream and downstream sensors, some cars will be unhappy to see unexpected sensor readings if you delete the cat. 

The old pellet type cats from the 80's were terrible.  The "newer" (last 20 years or so) ones hardly have any restriction if they're in good shape.  So running one of those has no performance disadvantage.  Unless, of course, your engine is heavily modified and can actually take advantage of that extra bit of potential airflow capability.  Cheater.

If it ain't broken, fix it 'til it is.

I'd pull em off and sell em if you're not keeping the car registered.  Theyre a potential failure point in a race....not to mention they get to about 1500 degrees.  The added back pressure can create more engine heat.  Pull em out, and if ya have downstream O2 sensors....go to the HELP section of your local parts store and get spark plug antifoulers.....you'll need 2 per sensor.  Drill out the one that the sensor is gonna screw into so that the tip of the sensor bairly fits and allows you to screw it in.  Put that one into the second antifouler, and screw the assembly into the pipe.  It gets the sensor out of direct exhaust flow, somewhat simulating a cat.  Prevents you from setting any cat codes, and helps keep fuel trims in check.

I removed the cat, along with the exhaust, the header, the head, the block, the crank...

/troll

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John