1 (edited by Brett85p 2014-10-25 12:16 PM)

Topic: Need a bigger truck to tow with

The arms race has begun, brought a bigger trailer and now the Tahoe just is not cutting it to tow.

Looking at 1/2 ton diesels and really like the Silverados but don't like the price.
Is there anything really wrong with a F-250 with 6.0 Powerstroke? They seem to be considerably cheaper than the Chevy or Dodge alternatives.
Looking for something under 20k and less than 10 years old and will also be my daily driver.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Re: Need a bigger truck to tow with

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjtrrSgABnc

Go to the above sites and you will find the info you ask as well as anywhere else.

The early 6.0's had issues.
Head gaskets and EGR coolers could fail and could lead to total loss of the engine.
I think Ford sued Navistar on this.

Now the later6.0's were better but you still had to keep on top of maintainence and watch your EGT's!
Installing APR head studs, a EGR cooler delete and a couple of other mods made for a much better and reliable engine.

Find a 7.3 Ford.  The 6.X Ford is are awful engine(s).  Read the forums.  I've owned one and can tell you that it was the perfect truck until it just died at 200K miles, Oil pumps are a big deal.  If/when the low pressure pump fails the engine will starve and die.  The roller rockers will come apart and the shards circulate thru the engine and kill it forever.   2-3K annually to keep it going.   There is a myth about bullet proofing them and it addresses several of the issues - I did all of that - but the oil pumps are just crap.  Stay away from all Fords after the 7.3.

I got rid of it and bought a 7.3 a year or so ago.  Zero issues and very happy.
b

This space for rent.

4 (edited by Brett85p 2014-10-25 01:13 PM)

Duramax Silverados not looking so bad now, thanks for the info!

How about the Cummings diesel Ram 2500?

5 (edited by OnkelUdo 2014-10-25 02:16 PM)

Brett85p wrote:

For the most part the Cummins is about as reliable as it gets.  The problem tends to be the fact that the rest of truck comes from Dodge.  If you can find the rare 5/6-speed manual transmission issues do not seem to exist but depending on the year, the auto transmissions can be problematic.

As other said, if it is a tow rig only, go older and get the Ford 7.3L...even a non-turbo.  Or go gas in a big block.  If it has to be a daily driver as well things get more complicated.

6 (edited by solman244 2014-10-25 02:15 PM)

Brett85p wrote:

I love my Cummings.  I hate my Dodge.

The engine is pretty close to bullet proof, but the rest of the truck falls apart alarming fast.  I bought my 2500 three years ago with about 120k on the clock.  It is a 2000 model (24V, a year or two before the common rail stuff).  The auto transmission is notoriously weak - mine died after 10k of towing near the rated limit.  I replaced with a Revmax rebuild and have been happy it.  The front suspension ball joints were shot and I finally replaced them.  The famed "death wobble" in the steering went away.  Pretty sure the "death wobble" complainers have never raced a NSF car...
The diesel injection pump (VP44) is known to go bad on them.  It is an expensive part (2k new, 1k rebuilt), but they are almost always damaged by a bad lift pump.  It is a problem you can monitor and prevent with a pressure gauge.
The interior is total crap.  All the plastic is cracking and falling apart.  A mobile car wash guy came to the office one day, so I let him wash it for $20.  Better him than me.  I felt really bad for him - he put his hand through the dash when cleaning it and was afraid I would make him pay for it.  It was that brittle.  It is pretty amusing now with most of the dash completely missing.  I'll grab a piece to throw at people when they annoy me.

For all that, it tows great, but is a bit under powered under a large load.  I would find a 6 speed manual with a 410 rearend, put a fuel pressure gauge in it, and tow forever.

Edit - If you daily drive it (I do mine), you will never use a drive-thru again.  At idle the engine to is too loud to hear anything less than a full yell.

Apparently my name is really "Craigers".  Who knew?
We might be yellow, but at least we are slow
I'm a WINNER!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Excursion- … ars_Trucks

I purchased my 2001 Excursion 18 months or so ago and paid $17,500.  It had 117K on it.  They look to be holding value for a reason.

b

This space for rent.

The hierarchy of diesels is Cummins, Ford 7.3(Navistar 444)...small gap, Chevy Duramax....unknown gap...Ford 6.4...huge cliff...Ford 6.0 and GMC 6.5.

The Cummins w/6spd is a bog standard commercial truck driveline to 26k lbs.  They do tend to lose 2nd gear because drivers want to start in 2nd because 1st is a granny. 

The Dodge or Ford V10 trucks are a good alternative if you don't pull through the mountains a lot.  S/F.....Ken M

I know a guy who uses a Ford Dully with the 6.0.
He had so many problems that he swapped in a Dodge Cummings.
It was a lot of work and not cheap but he uses the truck for work and getting a new one just wasn't doable.
He claims to have gotten as much as 24 MPG on the highway keeping in the 55-60 mph range.

I like this for the money
http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detai … /overview/

We got a fleet bus with a 7.3 powerstroke. 2 injectors, idler pulley and AC compressor have gone out. We've had it since May. It pulls the trailer with our pile of stutgart on it like it's not there. The 22 passenger bus gets 8.5mpg without the trailer and 8.5mpg with the trailer.

I'd like a chevy body with a ford base level interior, a P-Pumped Cummins 5.9 and a ZF 6 speed. That's not happening though.

Planet Express
"IOE" "C Win" 4834.701 Race Miles and counting
Toyocedes
"Least Southern Pickup Truck" "IOE" "C win" "C win (again?)"

Someone else mentioned it but don't discount gassers. My V-10 F350 was thousands cheaper than the comparable diesel. MPG isn't great but 87 is a lot less than diesel. I just averaged 11.4mpg pulling a trailer 2400 miles @ ~70mph. Maintenance is as easy as any other 4.6/5.4. The modulars like to rev, but it pulls like the big block it is. My only complaint with the Super Duties is the solid front axle. Its unnecessary for what I use the truck for and the bumpsteer sucks.

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

gtopat wrote:

MPG isn't great but 87 is a lot less than diesel.

Be careful on that generalization.  Right now, in my are it is a $0.17 but more often than not the difference is $0.05...once or twice a year you catch diesel cheaper by a penny.

When I lived in OK, diesel was always really close (after they changed the taxes)

I still agree not discount the gas burners.

Diesel is $.65 more here in Florida

This space for rent.

gtopat wrote:

Someone else mentioned it but don't discount gassers. My V-10 F350 was thousands cheaper than the comparable diesel. MPG isn't great but 87 is a lot less than diesel. I just averaged 11.4mpg pulling a trailer 2400 miles @ ~70mph. Maintenance is as easy as any other 4.6/5.4. The modulars like to rev, but it pulls like the big block it is. My only complaint with the Super Duties is the solid front axle. Its unnecessary for what I use the truck for and the bumpsteer sucks.

+1.  When I went LeMon hauler shopping I saw a lot of clapped out dizzle trucks my preferred price range.  I went with a V10 E350 15 passenger pedo-van.  Lots cheaper. Its not used as a DD.  The 15 passengers all seem to be XLTs and my 01 has gigantic disk brakes all around.  All the racing junk can be locked inside and at the track an inflatible mattress fits.  87 is always cheaper here.  Floor is loong too.  Seems like i got 14 ft beams in there with the doors closed.

Downside is it wants to turn every time it sees a bouncy house.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

I just bought a 2000 F250 with a 6 speed manual and 7.3 Powerstroke.   Truck had 165,000 miles and I got it for $6500.

WHY didn't I get one sooner?   I absolutely love this truck.  Haven't gotten to hook it up to anything substantial and I can't wait!   I need a big trailer!

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

17 (edited by rodknox2 2014-10-26 10:59 AM)

'99 Furd crew dually 7.3/6sp Lariat

http://humboldt.craigslist.org/cto/4731265979.html

cheseroo wrote:
gtopat wrote:

+1.  When I went LeMon hauler shopping I saw a lot of clapped out dizzle trucks my preferred price range.  I went with a V10 E350 15 passenger pedo-van.  Lots cheaper. Its not used as a DD.  The 15 passengers all seem to be XLTs and my 01 has gigantic disk brakes all around.  All the racing junk can be locked inside and at the track an inflatible mattress fits.  87 is always cheaper here.  Floor is loong too.  Seems like i got 14 ft beams in there with the doors closed.

Downside is it wants to turn every time it sees a bouncy house.

I would think those police beatings every time you get caught near a school or park qualify as a downside, right? 

It hasn't been mentioned yet, so here it is. 

Do NOT buy any diesel made after 07.  The emissions bullshit is awful; living proof that government hates business and the American public.  If you do, immediately make arrangements to rip all that garbage out.  Approx 30% of disabled commercial trucks I deal with have something to do with the completely unnecessary emissions crap causing a de-rate or shutdown.  Even when it does work, it's extra costs and maintenance.

Ugh, now I'm angry('er) after thinking about work.  Pardon me, I have to go take a chainsaw to the rainforest or burn a stack of tires or something.  S/F....Ken M

19 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2014-10-27 01:02 AM)

Brett85p wrote:
They seem to be considerably cheaper than the Chevy or Dodge alternatives.

You get what you pay for.

07 Silverado Classic 2500HD Duramax 4x4, front wheel bearings @ 75000 (warranty), that's it. Tows like none other.

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

I bought a 2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins automatic, new.  It's now got about 115,000 miles on it, probably 80,000 of them involve pulling my trailer.

The truck has not been bad, replaced front ball joints once.  Curiously, I must have gotten the one bad Cummins that came off the line.  Nothing major, but I have had to replace the front seal, the water pump, and the injection pump.

The big HP and torque race seems to have come a couple of years later.  Mine has 240 hp and 450 ft-lbs of torque, and actually gets pretty fair mileage.  I've seen as high as 16-17 towing if I keep the speeds reasonable, but I like to drive everywhere at 75 mph.  Oh, I got the 4.10 rear end, didn't feel I needed to go hog wild as the enclosed Featherlite, Alfa, and spares probably rarely tops 8,000 Lbs.  I've probably towed 10,000 - 12,000 once or twice.

No transmission issues.  I change the fluid every 15,000 miles, I was told that is the trick with the Dodge autos.

HTH,

bs

Only one data point; but at work we have an '02 GMC 2500HD crew cab 8' bed.  6.6 turbodiesel automatic.

I LOVE to drive this truck.  Smooth, comfortable, pulls like a train, steering is just right for what it is, automatic shifts great and has plenty of gears to keep in a good band - not that the motor has a bad band, mind you.  The engine is bit noisy but hey, it's a work truck not a Rolls.

We don't tow a lot but it's hard to tell because it handles trailers like they're not there.

On the other hand...

It has 170,000 mostly highway miles,and in the last 60,000 I think we've replaced every part on the suspension - twice.  It goes through brakes and rotors and calipers and tires (see multiple suspension parts) like they're made of styrofoam..  All the switches and knobs inside are broken or cracked.  The driver's outside door handle just cracked off in a guys hand one day.  The tailgate has nary a scratch nor dent yet won't open without Fonzi's special tap.  The driver's rocker went from "hey that looks like some rust" to "what rocker?" in a year.  Last month the driver's front brake hardline sprung a geyser-like leak.  The forums say they all do that - and have fun replacing the rears!

Some of that is just old work truck stuff, but the suspension bits and brake stuff is getting old, and it's getting to where all this crap is keeping it off the road too often.

So it's a love to drive hate to maintain kind of thing.  But man, that powertrain is sweet when the rest of the truck holds up it's end.

If you do not have an overactive HOA and you are not daily driving it, I still think this is the way to go...

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/cto/4730316312.html

It may only have 100K miles but ambulances, like police cars, have hundreds of hours more on them than their mileage implies.  But they run the E450 chassis which means upgraded everything from suspension to brakes, etc. The ambulance bodies are usually AL so the weight over an extended cargo is not that much more.  You usually get dual alternators or single holy crap 150 amp monster.  Finally...fleet maintained.

room for two to sleep comfortably and still have something of a kitchen.

23 (edited by v1ru5 2014-11-13 11:16 AM)

I bought a 2002 7.3 extended ford van for Sputnik Racing for $2200 from some guy in Kentucky.  It's been to Georgia, New Hampshire, and Canada twice without problems.  All i've had to do to it is regular maintenance type of stuff.

http://i.imgur.com/Ek8DRSQ.jpg
*cough* 21,500lbs, two race cars, 8mpg. Buy a reese sway control 15k hitch and 5k airbags if you are going to do the same.

Current owner of a 7.3, a year 2000 model F350.  I had the unfortunate luck of every known weak point on the 7.3 happening to me in the space of about a year.  Injector harness, CPS, glow plugs, front suspension, you name it.  Turbo needed resealing, various oil leaks, etc.  Ended up dumping about 5000 into a truck I paid 9000 for.  Still, for 14,000, I have what runs and drives like a brand new truck- it has about 160,000 miles on it now.  I installed a 6 position chip, and the performance increase was astounding.  Fuel econoy is anywhere from 11 to 18, depending on what I'm towing and how fast I'm going, but keep in mind I have the quad cab, automatic, 4x4 model.  The truck tips the scales at a hair over 8000 pounds with just me in it. 

Previously I had a 12V Cummins in a 92 Dodge, with a 5 speed and extended cab, 4x4.  Best truck ever, but it was very much an "old school" type of ride.  Air conditioning was as far as the luxury went in that truck.  Rode like it had no suspension at all.  But I loved it.  Were I to get another diesel truck, I just might go looking for a 91-93 Dodge again.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

I was dead set on a diesel for my next truck but I found in my price range I could get a far nicer and newer gasser, so I ended up with a 2008 Silverado 2500 HD with the 6.0 Vortec.  It will tow anything you throw at it no problem, yeah the mileage isn't as good, but I have a new-looking truck with a lot of modern conveniences, and less age/wear on the suspension/trans/etc, for the same price as a far older Diesel vehicle that usually had more miles and wear.

Just something to think about.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners