Topic: Am I stupid? Im probably stupid... (Fuel cell rating and mounting)

Slight background I come from a world of autocross and showroom stock/IT racing where the stock fuel tank is almost universally used. Our previous Lemons have followed this philosophy

We will be racing a turbo pinto this upcoming season and have decided on a cell (go ahead make the joke) the main reason was when we got the car enough of the rear floor had been cut out that a stock tank would not fit without extensive fab work.

I read the rules several times and I just need some clarification on what Im drawing from them.

Plastic "dragster" cells with no foam, bladder, or, can are out (not that we'd use one)

FIA cell is recommended

It seems to me that a steel can circle track cell with a plastic bladder and foam is more or less the same (I know about the pick up being on one side). The rules appear to say that an SFI cell is sufficient as long as it is separated from the drivers compartment with a firewall. My question here is, would the steel can be considered a firewall? Or would an additional surround be required?

Is there any specific notes on location? To me it seems like a good idea to have the cell in front of the rear axle center line that puts is just behind the main hoop and virtually where the back seat used to be. Any other mounting puts the cell roughly 8" higher on the chassis and seriously worries me in terms of raising the center of gravity. I dont think anybody wants to see the cell in the stock tank location sandwiched between the rear end and bumper.

Re: Am I stupid? Im probably stupid... (Fuel cell rating and mounting)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-290111/overview/

This is the cell we put in our car. We fully enclosed it in an aluminum box with a flip up lid for fueling. This is what we ran for two races last season with no issues with Tech.

Pretty sure our FB Page shows the enclosure.

https://www.facebook.com/hazzardousracing?ref=hl

Hazzardous Racing - 1981 RX7 "General Wee"
NJMP - Spring 2014 (Took The Checkered Flag Finished 76th) / NJMP - Fall 2014 (Took The Checkered Flag Finished 91st) / CMP - South Fall 2014 (Took The Checkered Flag Finished 66th) / NJMP 15' (Took The Checkered Flag Finished 32nd)

BoneYardRacing wrote:

FIA cell is recommended

It seems to me that a steel can circle track cell with a plastic bladder and foam is more or less the same (I know about the pick up being on one side). The rules appear to say that an SFI cell is sufficient as long as it is separated from the drivers compartment with a firewall. My question here is, would the steel can be considered a firewall? Or would an additional surround be required?

The steel can is not considered a firewall, but if you use an FIA rated cell, the firewall is not required.  If the cell is not FIA rated, a separate firewall is required.

I don't know that there is anything againt putting the cell in the rear seat area as you described, but keep in mind what your are going to need to do to refuel, and where any gas that might go that gets spilled during re-fueling.

What part of York are you located in?  There are not many of us Lemoneers in South Central PA.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

We've got a 22 gal cell in the back of our squire.  paid about twice the car price  for the cell. 

it does sit between the bumper and axle, but we've got some more room back there.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

racinrob wrote:
BoneYardRacing wrote:

FIA cell is recommended

The steel can is not considered a firewall, but if you use an FIA rated cell, the firewall is not required.  If the cell is not FIA rated, a separate firewall is required.

I don't know that there is anything againt putting the cell in the rear seat area as you described, but keep in mind what your are going to need to do to refuel, and where any gas that might go that gets spilled during re-fueling.

What part of York are you located in?  There are not many of us Lemoneers in South Central PA.

I asked TEO this exact question about putting the cell where the back seat was with all the fill and plumbing from the FIA cell being SS AN lines. I was told it was recommended the cell be covered but since it was FIA rated it did not have to be.

Wes Conklin
Team California Mille
2007 Eyetalian Class Champions
20+ races and still going strong, Finally won one. Pacific Northworst Winner 2012.

We have our fuel cell in the trunk area in our pinto.

It has a frame around it and comes down behind the rear axle.

Let me know if you want any pics!!!

Welcome to the wonderful world of pinto!!!!

2014 Spring Southern Discomfort- I.O.E. Winner 1956 Crown Vic , Fall CMP 5th place class C Pinto,
2015 Barber 2nd class C Pinto, 2015 Class C WINNER Spring CMP, 2015 Fall CMP Mid pack class B

Fuzzy Blumpkins/GoPher Broke - 1979 Pinto Limited Edition Squire "Titleless", 1988 Merkur XR4TI......why oh why?

Look at it this way.  You are allowed to race with the stock tank in a Pinto.  Even just putting a fuel cell in the stock location has to be a step up in safety.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

The exploding gas tank story was blown out of proportion by the government and media, but with that said we don't run the stock tank.

2014 Spring Southern Discomfort- I.O.E. Winner 1956 Crown Vic , Fall CMP 5th place class C Pinto,
2015 Barber 2nd class C Pinto, 2015 Class C WINNER Spring CMP, 2015 Fall CMP Mid pack class B

Fuzzy Blumpkins/GoPher Broke - 1979 Pinto Limited Edition Squire "Titleless", 1988 Merkur XR4TI......why oh why?