Topic: Window Tint?

Our very mid-80's vehicle has what I believe to be authentic, period window tint. This stuff has a a gorgeous, crackle purple patina. Do I need to remove the beautiful connection to a bygone era in the name of safety?

Driving like a girl for 33 years.

Re: Window Tint?

Fergus' Fault wrote:

Our very mid-80's vehicle has what I believe to be authentic, period window tint. This stuff has a a gorgeous, crackle purple patina. Do I need to remove the beautiful connection to a bygone era in the name of safety?

Which windows?  Front side windows have to be rolled down, so it doesn't matter on those. Is it hard to see out of the other windows because of it?  If not, then they won't have an issue.

Well, of course, it was a quality job so all 4 sides and the rear provide purple privacy, but a clear view out as well. Good to know we don't need to scrape away all the "character." smile

My '64 Dart parts car has purple tint as well. The car is white. I have no idea when it was done or what the owner was thinking.

Typically the tint doesn't start purple. Cheap window tint turns that color after a bunch of UV exposure.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Wait, are you implying that some expense WAS spared in the customization of our sweet ride and purple crackle wasn't  an aftermarket tint craze?

It's hard enough to see dive bombers in the mirror though clear glass, especially when the sun is getting low.  I think time spent removing tint is time well spent.

It's an awful job...  Next car we'll use it for team punishment.

riding the space unicorn