Topic: Will this master switch placement pass tech?

I have a question about my master switch placement.  I can reach it from outside the vehicles through the window just fine.... but then again I'm a freak of nature at 6'5.
http://i68.tinypic.com/2zpnymt.jpg

2 (edited by Sonic 2015-11-30 04:23 PM)

Re: Will this master switch placement pass tech?

I don't think a driver who is well belted in would be able to reach that, so probably not.  You want it somewhere that any driver and corner workers can easily reach, even those without your go go gadget length arms

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

hmm, where should i put it?  I see them put off to the side of the tranny tunnel, but then they are hard to reach by the driver.    I can reach it fully belted in,  and it isn't as far back as it appears in the photo, it's basically in line with the front of the center console,  so the same distance as the air conditioning controls are.

theinvictus1 wrote:

hmm, where should i put it?  I see them put off to the side of the tranny tunnel, but then they are hard to reach by the driver.    I can reach it fully belted in,  and it isn't as far back as it appears in the photo, it's basically in line with the front of the center console,  so the same distance as the air conditioning controls are.

Cage bar, left of steering wheel on both our cars.

what exactly is the standard?  I was trying to make it accessible through both door windows, and to the driver.

theinvictus1 wrote:

what exactly is the standard?  I was trying to make it accessible through both door windows, and to the driver.

maybe two kill switches would work better? because this does not look like comfortably reachable from outside the car.

A typical situation is you are called in to serve a black flag and the judge is talking to your driver and he wants to kill the car. Do you think the judge would enjoy getting to it in it's proposed location?

from the passenger side it's easy, from the drivers side you would be near the drivers crotchal area.

theinvictus1 wrote:

Right from the rule book...

"3.G.1 Master Electrical Kill Switch. All cars must have a racing-type master electrical kill switch easily turned both off and on by the belted-in driver. The control for this switch should be red; the OFF position should be clearly indicated; the switch should be easily accessible from outside the car; and the switch should be clearly marked by a three-inch or larger lightning-bolt symbol. All electricity must be interrupted by the kill switch (if you don't do that, the engine may still run off the alternator even after the battery circuit is disconnected). Don't put the switch where it's likely to be hit by another car in traffic or crushed in an accident."

No indication it needs to be accessed from both sides...and ours certainly is not and COULD not be placed in such a way on the racevan.

http://i65.tinypic.com/29mvofq.jpg

hmm, i shall find an average sized human being for testing purposes.

So the Lemons rules are posted above, and it is pretty clear that the kill switch doesn't need to be center mounted.  For Lemons the best place to put one is as close to the driver's window as possible.  This way anyone can reach it, the driver, or a person outside the driver's window.  as it is now, at the base of the center dash in front of the shifter, access from outside the driver's window would be blocked by ~200lbs of sweaty driver, steering wheel and whatever ghetto radio rig and cool-suit your teammates bring with them.driver.

As others already have mentioned, I recommend welding a small metal tab to the roll cage a-pillar down bar and mounting your kill switch to it, nearly every car has it there, and any other location will likely come with questions about whether every driver can reach it.  Sure you can prove this to them by having every driver belt in and kill the car, but that means that every driver has to be at tech, and then the first time it shows up at the penalty box, the judge will ask the same question requiring the same story/demo, all the while your team is not on track.

There are other series, they have other rules, some do require a center mounted kill switch, but they also require a pull handle, dual compartment, fire suppression system as well, and even then they comment that there should still be a kill switch at the driver's a-pillar.

There are ways to do both...

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b636/Hamsa9pics/IMG_1457_zpss5lw6nec.jpg

He's a new man now, part of the machine,
His nerves of metal and his blood oil.
The clutch curses, but the gears obey,
His least bidding, and lo, he's away.

We mounted our switch on the floor next to the driver and ran a pull cable to the rear window behind the driver with a large hole in the lexan. Works great.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

13 (edited by Guildenstern 2015-11-30 06:27 PM)

Think of it like this, Do you want to reach all the way inside a burning car to turn that off?

One thing you can do if the drivers can all reach it is run a pull cable on the switch to the driver side window.

http://www.rennline.com/images/EL21-1.jpg

But again, ONLY if your belted in drivers can all reach it fine.

edit: beaten by one minute!

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Looks to me like you could mount it on the side of the tunnel next to the fire extinguisher and keep your existing cabling.  You can set up a cable remote from there if you w as nt.  Just sit in the seat and see where your hand falls next to yhr extinguisher and thats your mounting spot.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:

Looks to me like you could mount it on the side of the tunnel next to the fire extinguisher and keep your existing cabling.  You can set up a cable remote from there if you w as nt.  Just sit in the seat and see where your hand falls next to yhr extinguisher and thats your mounting spot.

That's where I've seen it on a few cars without a cable system that passes tech. Think that's where I'll relocate it.

theinvictus1 wrote:

That's where I've seen it on a few cars without a cable system that passes tech. Think that's where I'll relocate it.

Failing tech sucks...bring a cable just in case and return it if necessary.

OnkelUdo wrote:
theinvictus1 wrote:

Failing tech sucks...bring a cable just in case and return it if necessary.

There's no need for that.  I've had that exact setup (mounted on center tunnel off the driver's hip/leg) on 3 of my cars and none has ever been a problem in tech.  I mount the lightning bolt symbol sticker on the passenger door.  I prefer to mount it on the A pillar but in some applications it either gets in the way of the steering wheel or is a very potential snag on egress.  I only mentioned adding the cable as a way to have an external switch mount.  Hood release mechanisms from the JY are a cheap source of material for a remote switch setup.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

I remember something about being able to turn the power back on after turning it off while strapped in.  I think it was TEO who brought it up.  It was about getting out of the way after an incident.  I don't think an off cable will do that.

The reasoning for a center mounted switch is access from either side of the car.  If the car is against a wall on the driver's side, access to a down bar mounted switch would be limited.  That said, I prefer the down bar mounted switch mostly for being able to start the car while standing outside...I can reach the starter button and the throttle at the same time.

To comply with Chump and Lemons, we mounted a second switch on the tunnel next to the seat where a driver can reach.

rodknox2 wrote:

I remember something about being able to turn the power back on after turning it off while strapped in.  I think it was TEO who brought it up.  It was about getting out of the way after an incident.  I don't think an off cable will do that.

It is actually in the rules this year so turning on after in incident is an operational requirement.

TEO teched our car with a center mounted killswitch and he made no comments about it. If it passes in his eyes, I think it's okay.

Planet Express
"IOE" "C Win" 4834.701 Race Miles and counting
Toyocedes
"Least Southern Pickup Truck" "IOE" "C win" "C win (again?)"

Our kill switch is center mounted and on the dash bar, never had a problem in tech.  Can be clearly seen through the window.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

One other consideration for some sort of external access, safety crews are trained to NOT reach into a car that has/had any signs of fire. I don't know if they'll reach inside under other circumstances, though.
One of my cars burned for a little while, and the switch was on the cage next to the a-pillar, no more than 4 inches from the window opening.  No one touched it but me, after the car was delivered to my pit space. Fire Bad!

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

Just move it over to the driver's window.   Attach it to the cage.

This space for rent.

I think I'm going to move it back from the dash on the passengers side of the tunnel.  I'm using the existing wiring, and it runs along the right side of the car,  and the battery, and the main distribution block in the car are on the right side as well, so I don't want to reinvent the wheel and run it all on the left side.

25 (edited by theinvictus1 2015-12-05 04:04 PM)

ok  second attempt, this was accessible from outside the card by a 5'6  individual

note one cable isn't ran yet. 

http://i67.tinypic.com/2gxr4tc.jpg