Topic: Our Lady Barber Race Report!

Hey gang, here's our race report from Barber.

We had a great time and a great hangout with lots of awesome folks.

Hope you dig the report: http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/2016/ … assic.html

Can't wait to get to the next race!

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce Faithful Devotee
Writer of novels and not-novels.

Re: Our Lady Barber Race Report!

Nice report! I enjoyed the read

Mike @ Charnal House Inc.
Like us on Facebook!
Or send us a message at CharnalHouse@gmail.com

Always good to see Our Lady out and about.  Nice recap.  see you at CMP.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

FYI, one of those phantom bumps was on your driver.  It was right rear (I think, been a few days) quarter tap to the Knox Vegas minivan.  Likely a momentary lapse of concentration because the van wasn't moving left to right at the time.

The only reason I even remember is the minivan went in (I assume) to self report on the same lap and yours did not.  I have no idea how I was even CLOSE to keeping up with your car as I am the slowest driver in the dustbuster but you were only about 4 car lengths ahead of the black minivan (so about 10 in front of me) when they to the pit road.

Not knocking you guys, just try to explain what might have happened.

Like the write up.

OnkelUdo wrote:

FYI, one of those phantom bumps was on your driver.  It was right rear (I think, been a few days) quarter tap to the Knox Vegas minivan.  Likely a momentary lapse of concentration because the van wasn't moving left to right at the time.

The only reason I even remember is the minivan went in (I assume) to self report on the same lap and yours did not.  I have no idea how I was even CLOSE to keeping up with your car as I am the slowest driver in the dustbuster but you were only about 4 car lengths ahead of the black minivan (so about 10 in front of me) when they to the pit road.

Like the write up.

That was Mark making a poor decision on our part.  Didn't sound too egregious over the radio, so we told him to wait it out to see if someone noticed.  Our cavalcade of mechanical failures started shortly afterwards.  Sorry we didn't get over there to deliver our mea culpa in person.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

st_rage wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:

Like the write up.

That was Mark making a poor decision on our part.  Didn't sound too egregious over the radio, so we told him to wait it out to see if someone noticed.  Our cavalcade of mechanical failures started shortly afterwards.  Sorry we didn't get over there to deliver our mea culpa in person.

Wasn't me or my minivan (ours was the dustbuster), I just happened to be right behind the incident.

Your driver was right, no real harm done.  It is more in that the Knox Vegas guys did come in so the penalty box was probably was like "I don't know".

I felt terrible watching you guys race. I mean, you were fast and clean, and good guys, and you used to build that cool dome thing; but we were racing against you and you were obviously faster than us. So every time you came off track for a flag or mechanical, while I should have felt bad for you, because you were good guys, and you have a cool car, and were racing well and stuff, I could only cackle with glee because we were going to get a chance to pass you. As the race wore on and it became apparent that one of us could win it, it got much worse. Cackling turned into jumping up and down, fist pumps, and loud exclamations of joy at your misfortune. At one point I was putting the finishing touches on a banner that said "WE SUCK LESS THAN OLPD!" and my teammates intervened, probably for the best. It would have been a far better thing for me if you had won it and saved me from having to face the unpleasant realization that I am a fundamentally bad person. Damn you!

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

Funny you should say that Roger...

(thank you for winning so I didn't have to make a similar self-realization)

Apparently my name is really "Craigers".  Who knew?
We might be yellow, but at least we are slow
I'm a WINNER!

Yeah Craig, our team needs better communications. In the last hour or so, I didn't know that you had pitted for gas and that we had a comfortable lead, so I was really sweating it when you came out of apparent fuel conservation mode and started passing me. All Robert could do was send me beeping noises on the radio that either meant "QUIT LETTING CRAIG PASS YOU, DUMBASS!" or "QUIT TRYING TO KEEP UP WITH CRAIG, DUMBASS! WE'RE AHEAD BY 5 LAPS AND WE CAN WIN THIS THING IF YOU DON'T SCREW IT UP BY GETTING ALL RACECAR OUT THERE!".  He did send an excessive amount of beeping noises though, so I figured it was the latter.

We had a similar situation at Sebring when the transmission on the Focus that was leading our class died and Robert suddenly found himself in P1 with a 54-minute lead over the P2 car in the last session on Sunday. Of course we could have just had him black flagged at the 50 minute mark, but we do like our seat time.

I think some combination of radio beeping and a pit board with a +/- and lap numbers would be simple enough. Ricky actually made the board at Barber just to try to let me know, but I wasn't looking for it because I was too busy looking for a blue Del Sol in my mirrors.

Curiosity question for you Craig; when I was coming out of the last turn behind you in the last part of the race and flew past you coming down the front straight, were you just coasting to mess with me? I remember thinking "Why isn't he on throttle?" and wondering if your car was broken. Shortly after that you passed me and left me behind, answering the car broken question.

That was great fun!

That pass might have been right before I pitted for gas in the last 30 minutes Sunday.  I was still trying to save fuel while my team was telling me it was a done deal and I should just come in and get a few gallons.  When I got back on track a few laps later, I ended up behind you pretty quickly.  My plan once I saw you was to see if I could get you to race me.  I was hoping for a black flag worthy screw up.  Sounds like it almost worked.  It was a little unfair since I'm intimately familiar with your comms setup and knew they couldn't talk to you.

Apparently my name is really "Craigers".  Who knew?
We might be yellow, but at least we are slow
I'm a WINNER!

It was working for a bit until the team started beeping me frantically. We had pre-arranged that a beep would mean that I was in the lead and that I could take it easy and go in to "stay out of trouble" mode.  After our last pit stop, I thought that I'd have to catch you to retake the lead, but we got a driver change and fueling done in 2 minutes, so we came out still 2 laps ahead, and the team gave me the beep immediately. I didn't understand it at the time (we'd never done a pit stop that quickly before), but I continued at a medium-fast pace. We knew from spying on your teammates that you were in a tight fuel situation and would have to take it easy to finish without a stop, so I saw you ahead of me and took advantage of your situation to put another lap on you. Then I figured I just had to keep you from passing me twice before the checker and we were good. When you passed me later and we started swapping positions, I was a little confused because you were no longer driving like someone who is concerned about fuel, so I started to get a little nervous and sped up, at which point the rest of the team, who could see that we were 5 laps out in front, began beeping me continuously until I slowed down. I didn't see you again, but I was worried about it the whole time. I can't describe my happiness at the long double-yellow at the end. I was praying that it would last until the checker so I didn't have to try to stay ahead of you. I still wasn't sure that we had won when I finished, and it was my first question when I came off track.

I think your team needs to start using flag semaphore.  I mean, how hard can it be?

If a Signalman can figure it out, then it can't be too hard.