Topic: 280zx and slighty over $500 value - anyone cares???

Hi,

We have a 280zx that has headers and el cheapo cut springs. Technically we are above the $500 because of the header.

Header gives us maybe 0.1 hp (the stock manifold broke and I REFUSE to buy a another rusty stock manifold that will break after 10 mins, they suck to replace).

Would anyone care? Car is slow as crap and we suck at driving. But it would suck to get penalty laps!
We have done one chumpcar race and the judge barley cared about the car when it came to points, felt like we could have had a 1000 HP engine and he would still let us pass.

It's not like we show up in a $500 miata or E30.

Team RicerZX
1980 Datsun 280ZX NA

Re: 280zx and slighty over $500 value - anyone cares???

If you're slow and you suck at driving then who cares about penalty laps?  Just come out and race.  You won't get the "benefit of the doubt" as you're a new team, but it won't matter.  You're not gonna win anything the first race anyways.  smile

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

Yep...who cares.  Maybe to an AWESOME theme and they won't notice but you are new so you won't win anyway.  Takes the laps if you get um' and enjoy the race.

Oh I know I we are not going to win, I am very very sure about that (and it has been proven at a chumpcar race).
It's just the mental felling of getting penalty laps!

But this must happen all the time. Either you buy a shitty rusty stock component and don't take penalty laps or you buy an aftermarket thing, maybe it is even cheaper!!

Team RicerZX
1980 Datsun 280ZX NA

5 (edited by swedishmeatballracing 2016-08-26 08:30 PM)

Well actually I think I am safe!! Z cars gets Zero BS Points!! Jay! Time to get a 350hp $16k Rebello Racing engie!

This is from the Judge him self

Judge Jonny wrote:

Well, well, well Datsun/Nissan fanboys, our Z = zero theory is still holding true.

The 24 Hours of Lemons Supreme Court says: You cannot win a Lemons race in a Datsun/Nissan Z car.

Why? Because they are too crappy.

And once again at Thunderhill we gave every single Z a rolling zero (a "rolling zero" is when we don't even let you hit your brakes when exiting tech inspection -- we just right Zero on your sheet and send you on your hopeless way). And once again, almost every Z blew the hell up. Very few actually finished the race.

For 2010 this policy remains in full effect. Bring a Z, cheat all you want (ping Troy for details) and we'll still give you zero BS laps.

Team RicerZX
1980 Datsun 280ZX NA

Nobody will sweat a non engine swapped Z.
Should be a solid class B car.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Selective reading much?

swedishmeatballracing wrote:
Judge Jonny wrote:

For 2010 this policy remains in full effect. Bring a Z, cheat all you want(ping Troy for details) and we'll still give you zero BS laps.

-Nathan - Team Captain, Priority Fail Racing
1997 Golf GTI VR6 Mid Engine

Put bottle of bribe Bourbon on roof for BS. Nobody will care about header on a Datsun.

9 (edited by therood 2016-09-05 04:29 PM)

LOL at quoting Jonny Lieberman six years ago before anybody had figure out how to keep a Z car from blowing up in a Lemons race.

If everything is reasonably stock, you might get a lap or two. When I'm judging a new build--unless it's a BMW or a Miata--if the team brings me lots of documentation and says something like "We spent $523" and they're honest about it, I'm pretty willing to cut some slack. If it's a Z-car, I'd probably just put you in Class A, where you're going to get your brains beat in anyway, without any penalty laps. Bring lots of documents, a good theme, and/or a good story and you have a better chance at zero laps.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Good bribe goes a long way especially when you polish up a rotted and crashed turd of a Z car to look cool.

BTW Eric, do you guys want custom beer mugs or pint glasses at NHMS?

Nuthin' but a Z Thang -  1976 Datsun 280Z