Re: "Racing" the Duff Beer Electric Car

Exactly so add 6 more laps to the daily total.

I'm going to look through my tubs of failed charger projects and see if I can come up with enough stuff to make two sets of chargers.

I have enough good parts for one really good set of chargers; maybe I can come up with a second set of sketchier chargers and try running two charging stations.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

I am an electric powered enthusiast (see my electric-boat-forum.com where water and electricity mix for what is also stretching electric power,  btw I built the first electric jetski in the world ..)

If I might make a suggestion....you need to run two cars at the race.  Car1 is the electric car.  Car2 is a hybrid, which has an extra battery pack that is charged up while the car is running the track under gas power.
They both come into the pits, and Car2 dumps its charged pack power into Car1.   Some version of lithium can be charged and discharged at very high rates, and lead acid batteries can certainly handle it.

Problem solved.   Just be ready to make a lot of pitstops.

Of course that's bringing us back around to mounting a 20kwh generator on the car and turning it in to a train.

I figure we'll require 15 pit stops to get us through a day, basically every 30 minutes.

rmcdaniels wrote:

Of course that's bringing us back around to mounting a 20kwh generator on the car and turning it in to a train.

I figure we'll require 15 pit stops to get us through a day, basically every 30 minutes.

Having the generator in the electric car makes it a hybrid, not an electric car. 
Must have an electric car to win the e- class and qualify for cost exemption, right? 

While you could just run a huge generator at full throttle in the pits to generate the large amount of energy needed
rather than a second car as hybrid,  the hybrid car is doing something "useful" while burning fuel and generating pollution and greenhouse gases and make lots of noise, as racecars do that on the track.  It would not be appreciated doing it in the pits.

Yeah, frequent pit stops is your only real option, making them quick is what you are after.
A battery swap still needs the old one recharged before the next pit.  So perhaps what you can do is the battery swap for the ev,
then the hybrid car pits to recharge the old pack with its dump pack, so basically the hybrid car will be slow to make the ev faster.

Or convince tracks to install under track inductive charging coils...yeah that is going to happen.  smile

nimblemotorsports wrote:
rmcdaniels wrote:

Having the generator in the electric car makes it a hybrid, not an electric car. 
Must have an electric car to win the e- class and qualify for cost exemption, right? 

While you could just run a huge generator at full throttle in the pits to generate the large amount of energy needed
rather than a second car as hybrid,  the hybrid car is doing something "useful" while burning fuel and generating pollution and greenhouse gases and make lots of noise, as racecars do that on the track.  It would not be appreciated doing it in the pits.

Yeah, frequent pit stops is your only real option, making them quick is what you are after.
A battery swap still needs the old one recharged before the next pit.  So perhaps what you can do is the battery swap for the ev,
then the hybrid car pits to recharge the old pack with its dump pack, so basically the hybrid car will be slow to make the ev faster.

Or convince tracks to install under track inductive charging coils...yeah that is going to happen.  smile

From what  I remember reading on this forum, when running a Prius, it basically keeps it batteries dead. Because when you accelerate you use battery power as well. By disabling that, a hybrid like Prius becomes a very slow car. And only recharging when braking.
A diesel generator should be higher efficiency then a hybrid power plant as well.
The sad part is the pollution, but its racing, and most cars have emissions removed anyways.

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu - 3 races, IOE, Incredible Feats in Badge Engineering
http://i.imgur.com/m3KbADo.gif

If Car2 had a huge surplus of extra power, this idea might work.  Otherwise I don't really see any advantage over just using a generator.  Also, spending an additional $1500 worth of entry fees to run a very slow hybrid for the express purpose of charging batteries seems like a....poor use of capital.

2008- 2010:  1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
2010-present:  1975 Ford LTD Landau...doesn't have a name?

kakarot1232001 wrote:

The sad part is the pollution, but its racing, and most cars have emissions removed anyways.

I don't know how feasible something like this would be to rent and carry to CMP, but a biodiesel generator setup with a Stirling cogenerator would have lower emissions and higher efficiency.

Team FPO (For Parts Only)

A lot of the decisions being made here are budget-related.

Stuff like generators comes down to W/$. Some of it is also logistics related. We don't have the room on our trailer for more than the car; anything else will have to fit in the RV, where it will be loaded/unloaded by a team with an average age of over 50.

So while some solutions are really great; we don't have the resources to implement them.

160 (edited by kakarot1232001 2017-04-21 01:12 PM)

spoted this with my little eye:
https://online.ogs.ny.gov/surpluspublic … ?ID=239327
https://online.ogs.ny.gov/surpluspublic … ?ID=239326

May it help you in your endeavours

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu - 3 races, IOE, Incredible Feats in Badge Engineering
http://i.imgur.com/m3KbADo.gif

rmcdaniels wrote:

Of course that's bringing us back around to mounting a 20kwh generator on the car and turning it in to a train. .

Exactly. If I were to go this route -- which is technically "gas electric" or "diesel electric", not hybrid -- I'd use supercapacitors and a diesel generator. Of course, 100-120KW of supercaps will cost more than renting the track. (VIR rates, not CMP rates.)

We're old and out of shape, so lugging hundred pound things around isn't fun. You're going to love the Tesla Inspired(tm) solution to swapping a 500lb power module.

CarolinaHondas.com / Duff Beer Civic #128
2014 Sebring - Class B (#1 of 7)
2016 Barber - Class B Win!

mechimike wrote:

14" from ground to bottom of license plate area on bumper. 15.5" for the rest of the bumper bottom to the ground. The area under the license plat it a little *ehem* swiss-cheesy, so we might need to mount the receiver dealie off- center slightly.

I apologize, but looking at where we are today after testing our charging station setup and breaking our generator, there is no chance that I'll have the magnetic coupler rigged up in time for CMP.