Re: True tales of the Super Snipe

Just a thought, your "Problem #1 was that the selector shaft at the transmission was very stiff.   Turning it with a wrench many times eventually freed it up" may be connected internally to problem 3 where the link inside the tranny is broken because it was attached to a stuck shift valve or something, either way bring the stuck in forward unit if as a spare as going backward during a race is overrated.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

Team Infinniti wrote:

Just a thought, your "Problem #1 was that the selector shaft at the transmission was very stiff.   Turning it with a wrench many times eventually freed it up" may be connected internally to problem 3 where the link inside the tranny is broken because it was attached to a stuck shift valve or something, either way bring the stuck in forward unit if as a spare as going backward during a race is overrated.

Excellent point.   However, I also pulled the pan and we saw that the shaft, when rotated, moved a plunger back and forth correctly.   This plunger is supposed to open and close various passages in a valve body.   Our assumption is that various small spring-loaded parts are stuck and not moving under pressure from the springs.   Just a guess.   The transmission is still being saved for when I have time to open it up and actually work on it.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

78 (edited by CowDriver 2012-03-01 08:48 PM)

Episode 15: Testing, one two three -- gears, that is.

There were lots of fiddly little things to catch up on besides filling the transmission, connecting the linkage, and so forth.   Little things like the throttle, ignition switch, etc.   But finally, with the car back up on jack stands (I didn't trust the parking brake), I started it up.   To my great relief, this transmission seemed to work: in Low and Drive, the wheels turned forward.   In Reverse, they turned backwards.   Park actually locked the driveshaft.   Success!

I took it off the jack stands and gingerly tried again.   It moved a few feet forward.   It moved a few feet back.   Wow, I could finally drive it -- but not quite yet.

The lot where I was working was directly across the street from a school, and classes had just let out.   It didn't seem prudent to do my first test drive on a street teeming with kids!   smile   Besides, there were yet a few more items to attend to.   Things like making sure that the brake lights worked, installing a muffler, attaching the license plates, and other things to keep the police happy.   After all, being across the street from a school, the police cruise by regularly.

On Sunday, November 13th, I finally got my chance.   The car was street legal and ready to go.   Unfortunately, my friends had other obligations, so my only witness was my camera.   After all the preparation, the first drive was actually rather anticlimactic.   I drove it out the gate and up & down the street a few times.   It simply worked!   

http://www.nelsonusa.com/alan/snipe/FirstDrive-2.png

See the video on YouTube.

To celebrate my success, I drove to the two nearby auto parts stores where I had been buying parts and supplies for the last several months.   They had heard all my stories about the Super Snipe, and were anxious to see it.   From their comments, it was obvious that they questioned my sanity in wanting to race it -- clearly it was perfect for Lemons!   smile

Now it was time to take it home where I could install the cage and prepare it for racing.

Next: Celebration and Disaster

(Edited to include still photo)

CowDriver wrote:
Team Infinniti wrote:

Excellent point.   However, I also pulled the pan and we saw that the shaft, when rotated, moved a plunger back and forth correctly.   This plunger is supposed to open and close various passages in a valve body.   Our assumption is that various small spring-loaded parts are stuck and not moving under pressure from the springs.   Just a guess.   The transmission is still being saved for when I have time to open it up and actually work on it.

The cast iron Powerglide in my 60 Chevy acted like that at one point when I had just resurrected it.  Stuff was just gummed up inside.  Getting it nice and hot with clean fluid in it mostly fixed it in very little time.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

Episode 16: Celebration and Disaster

With the Super Snipe running and street legal, it was time to take it home for cage work.   While there was plenty of space at my friend's lot, I didn't have access to power for a welder, nor a place to mount a tubing bender.   On the other hand, it would have to share a driveway with a daily driver.   Furthermore, my driveway is slanted in two directions, and is just barely long enough for a car.

I was in high spirits as I loaded up my tools and set out to drive the 30 miles home.   When I stopped for gas, several people stopped and asked what it was.   This was cool!

My plan was to head for the freeway entrance, and make the decision there whether to take the freeway or surface streets.   It seemed to be running well, so onto the freeway!   Since it was late in the day, and there was lots of traffic, I really wanted to get home before dark since one headlight was a bit dim.

I quickly discovered that the steering is, as they say, "loose as a goose".   This would have to be addressed before racing it.   Also, the throttle linkage needed work, as well as the throttle linkage to the transmission.   But it ran!

About five miles from home, I noticed that the oil pressure was a bit lower than when I had started.   It was now down to about 40psi.   Considering the slow traffic, this didn't seem alarming, but it certainly wasn't comforting.   It was as I approached the off ramp for my house that things started going wrong.   The temperature started climbing and the oil pressure dropped some more.   Furthermore, I thought I could hear a knocking sound.

My home is only a few blocks from the off ramp, so I nursed it up the street and into my driveway.   It didn't sound at all healthy.   By the time I got a ride back out to the lot to pick up my daily driver, it was too late to do any work.

After work the next day, I checked the oil & water, and both seemed OK.   I then tried to start it.   It made less than one revolution and stopped solid.   Bad news.

On Spank's advice, I decided to shift my attention to building the cage and defer the engine work until that was done.

My spirits were now at the lowest they had been since I started this project.   I had an ugly dead car in my driveway and no prospect of it moving any time soon.

Next: Cage Fights!

81 (edited by CowDriver 2012-03-05 09:14 PM)

Episode 17: Cage Fights!   (This is a long one...)

I was looking forward to building the cage for the Super Snipe.   I would be learning new skills while getting lots of practice on an old and rusty one -- welding, not the car, silly!

In the beginning, I thought it would be a two weekend project -- one to cut and bend the pieces and one to weld it all together.   Boy was I all wrong!   I learned that I had absolutely no idea of how much work goes into building a cage.   The guys who do it for a living have my respect -- this is hard work and it takes a long time!

I was fortunate to have gotten excellent help and advice from Spank.   I simply cannot begin to thank him enough for everything he did for me.

First of all, he clued me in to a steel supplier (Summit Steel) that sells DOM tubing for far less than my usual supplier (Industrial Metal Supply).   It was $3.25/foot versus $4.46/foot when buying five "sticks" (approx. 20' lengths).   IMS charges $5.21/foot when buying only two, and Summit hardly raises the price at all (yes, I ran out and had to buy more).   Driving down the freeway with several 20' lengths of tubing strapped to to the top of a Volvo did get me a few odd looks:

http://www.nelsonusa.com/alan/snipe/IMG_0341a.JPG

Then Spank generously loaned me his JD Squared Model 3 tubing bender and TN-100 notcher.   these are excellent products and I recommend them whole-heartedly.   I have already bought my own TN-100 and will buy my own Model 3 for my next cage.   He also let me use his Bend-Tech EZ 3D software, which made all the calculations simply trivial.   I will certainly buy this software when I get my own bender.

First up was gutting the interior.   In places, it actually pretty decent:

http://www.nelsonusa.com/alan/snipe/IMG_0399a.JPG

In others, it looked, er, awful:

http://www.nelsonusa.com/alan/snipe/IMG_0419a.JPG

When gutting a car, you never know quite what you might find.   When we pulled the head liner, out poured a stash of acorns!   Clearly a family of rodents had been living up there.   Here is my friend Richard dealing with one of the larger specimens:

http://www.nelsonusa.com/alan/snipe/IMG_0459a.JPG

Having read "How Not To Fail Lemons Safety Tech"  several times, and listened to Spanks tips and tricks, I opted for the "Main Hoop and Halo" design.

The Bend-Tech software simply needs the dimensions at critical points, then it gives you the total length of the tube, the points at which to bend, and the number of degrees to bend.   Bending 1.75 x .120 DOM tubing on a JD2 Model 3 takes a bit of effort, but a 5' piece of 2" pipe on the lever made it almost easy.   Having a second person to monitor the degree pointer is almost essential.

Keeping the bends in the same plane is essential if you want the finished product to lay flat.   I found that a small machinist's vice and a level made this easy:

http://www.nelsonusa.com/alan/snipe/IMG_0487a.JPG

With this, the main hoop came out perfect (before trimming):

http://www.nelsonusa.com/alan/snipe/IMG_0486a.JPG

With the main hoop & halo design, I could do the impossible-to-get-to welds by dropping the main hoop through the bottom of the car floor.   How do you do this?   Just use a 2" hole saw in the floor (watch out for fuel/brake lines!):

http://www.nelsonusa.com/alan/snipe/IMG_0538a.JPG

Then, lower the main hoop through the holes and do those "impossible" welds:

http://www.nelsonusa.com/alan/snipe/IMG_0541a.JPG

Then cover the holes with big spreader plates when you are done:

http://www.nelsonusa.com/alan/snipe/IMG_0655a.JPG

I found myself doing this maneuver several times during construction, each time with the cage getting heavier.

Although I own a MIG welder, my preferred method is TIG.   It takes a lot longer, but I originally learned gas welding, so it feels more familiar.   Unfortunately, my hands shake more than they did 20 years ago, just not yet to the "jittery raccoon on dexedrine" level.   I'm satisfied with the results, but not exactly proud of them.

If you have never welded a cage before, I suggest that you thoroughly study the Kama Sutra first.   You will find yourself in positions that your friends with cameras will find totally amusing.   You, less so.   If you are over 40, you will probably need to get close-up glasses or a lens plate for your helmet in order to see your welds as you make them

Speaking of helmets, get the best auto-darkening helmet you can afford.   The $49.99 ones from Harbor Freight work -- sort of -- but once you have used a high-end one you will never go back.   My old helmet, one of the very first auto-darkening helmets, died at the start of this project.   I splurged and bought a Miller Digital Elite and am extremely happy with it.   It has a "X-Mode" which is perfect when working outdoors or with low-current TIG.   In X-Mode, instead of being triggered by the flash of light, it is triggered by the magnetic field in the cable.   It doesn't darken when moving your head from shade to sunlight, but triggers perfectly the instant you strike an arc.

Of course, some of the welds were in places where a helmet simply can't fit.   Here I had to resort to plain goggles with a #10 filter.   But, please, don't make the same mistake I did:  be sure to put on lots of sunblock (SPF 50) all over your face, neck, and arms.   My face looked like hell for a week after that welding session -- sort of like a reverse raccoon.   Even when using a full helmet, wear long-sleeved shirts.

Most of the time was spent not on welding, but in getting the fit-up good.   No matter how close you calculate and measure, the notch in the tube will not be a perfect fit against its mate.   You then must then resort to the disk grinder to improve the fit.   Your welds will not only look better, but be stronger and easier to do.

This then leads to the age-old problem, "I've trimmed it three times and it's still too short!"   smile   I was lucky and only screwed up two pieces, but you should plan on this.   If you have two similar pieces (e.g. door bars), cut and fit the longer one first.   They, when you screw it up, you may be able to use it as the shorter one.   smile

Oh yes, before you start, stock up on burn ointment, band-aids, and (just in case) rolled gauze bandages.   You *will* get cut and burned.   If you are extremely unlucky, you might even need a trip to Urgent Care.   I came close to amputating the end joint of my index finger (see thread http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt … p?id=14380) with the disk grinder.   This cost me two weeks of downtime, and the loss of feeling in that fingertip.

Although building the cage took closer to ten weekends than the two I had originally thought, I'm glad that I did it.   I am very pleased with the end result:

http://www.nelsonusa.com/alan/snipe/IMG_0644a.JPG

I now have a much greater appreciation for what goes into building one, and for the people who do it for a living.   If I had known then what I know now, I probably would have paid one of them to do it!    smile

With the cage finally finished (late February) I could turn my attention back to the engine.

Next: How do we spin this?

Glad I'm not the only one to get sunburnt by welding.  Luckily, I had a bender who could also weld those "tricky" places by ear, with his eyes closed.  It was crazy shit!  Hopefully we'll get to compare cages one day!

Putting the "dirty" in Dirty Little Freaks Racing
~stalk us on facebook

I completely agree. I'll weld up my next cage with my checkbook.

John

Nemesis Ridiculii 240SX

Episode 18: How do we spin this?

With this episode, we come entirely up to date -- at least within the last three days.

You will recall that in Episode 16, I had just gotten the Super Snipe home when the engine locked up solid.   Now, two months later, I have finished the cage and can work on the engine.

I live on a hill, so my driveway slopes in two directions, making it unsafe to use jack stands.   Call me paranoid, but I have an aversion to being crushed to death.

Fortunately, my friend Richard came over with some railroad ties and the car is now solidly supported, although the working clearance is a bit tight.   Note the large quantity of kitty litter, as the car (like all British cars) had been marking its territory in the traditional fashion.   Also note the use of carpet to make work somewhat cleaner and more comfortable.

http://www.nelsonusa.com/alan/snipe/IMG_0685a.JPG

Pulling the oil pan revealed a small amount of sludge and metal bits -- less than a teaspoon full,
but lots of oil.

When I removed the two center main bearing caps, the bearings looked almost brand new, and they were in it when I got the car!   But the front bearing showed a bit of scuffing, as seen here:

http://www.nelsonusa.com/alan/snipe/IMG_0689a.JPG

Since it had been in almost perfect condition when I had looked at it several months ago, this would seem to indicate running without sufficient oil.   But the oil level had been full and the pressure, while not great, was adequate.

The rear main bearing cannot be removed without a special puller, so I haven't examined it.   All of the connecting rod big ends could be wiggled a few thousandths side to side.   All, that is, except #1 (front).

Pulling off the #6 rod cap showed an almost new bearing, with just a bit of scuffing and a bit of tearing along one edge.   This bearing was one I had installed several months ago.

But at this stage, the crank would still not turn with a wrench on the front of the crank.

I then pulled off the #1 rod cap and discovered that the bearing had been "spun", then "stacked", as shown below.   I have never seen this before, but I guess I've led a sheltered life.   The crank would now turn.

http://www.nelsonusa.com/alan/snipe/IMG_0691a.JPG

Amazingly, CrazyMike had predicted exactly this, just from a verbal description of the symptoms.   The man is astounding.

Finally, here we see the #1 crank journal, with bits of bearing material welded to the crank.   Our thinking is that an oil channel is plugged near the front of the engine, starving the front bearings for oil.

http://www.nelsonusa.com/alan/snipe/IMG_0699a.JPG

At this point, I think this calls for a complete engine tear-down to clean out all the oil passages, regrind(?) the crank, and replace at least the bad bearings.   Needless to say, this is not going to happen before Infineon in two weeks.   I've paid all the fees, so I'm not going to give up.   Fortunately, Spank has come to the rescue once again with the loan of his Austin America.   This is the same car that sprayed the judges with oil at Infineon last fall, so we're looking forward to a warm welcome.   smile

Another option is a complete engine & transmission swap.   Ideas for a suitable combination will be welcomed, even though I would prefer to keep the car as original as possible.

Late word: My friend Richard, who is an ol' farm boy in the finest "git 'er fixed" tradition, has proposed that I use compressed air and solvent/oil to flush out the plugged oil passages, use abrasive strips to clean off the crank journal, replace the destroyed rod bearings with ones that had originally been in the car (with thin shims behind them), and let it go at that.   I should probably also polish the scuffed main bearing and swap the upper and lower halves.   I wish I could convince him to come to a Lemons race.   He would be right at home on Saturday night in the pits!   smile

I am now completely caught up with this narrative, and will try to keep it that way.

While dealing with the bearings, I will also be wiring the kill switch and other minor items, so there is plenty to keep me busy.

Suggestions on how to deal with this bearing problem are solicited.   Ideas?

I would try polishing the crank first and see how much of the damage disappears.  Then you can make an assessment of the damage and form a plan.  The "right way" is to pull the motor and rebuild.  That way you can clean all the passages out and KNOW the motor is clean and good to go.  Biggest issue I see is finding parts to rebuild it correctly.  I would not reuse any of the bearings I see in the pics; they all look like junk to me.  What is the condition of the motor in the parts car again?  Maybe you could combine the two into one good motor?

Don't give up!  I, for one, am looking forward to seeing pics/vid of this car on track...

Nick
Focke Ewe racing -> Muttonheads! Racing -> Torque Junkies
86ish VW GTI...now with TDI Powah!

I noticed red on side of bearings did you use a red assembly lube? If so it still being there it indicates no oil flow to that bearing  If all red from other bearing are washed with reg oil then obstruction may be in block to the main that is scuffed and the 1 bad rod. In my world that crank needs to be at least polished and the rod is probably not round anymore but this is Lemons a little emery cloth and some plastigage may get er done. Good Luck.

Duck Die nasty Button turibble 13  60 somthinish  Snowballs Chance in Hell 85 MR2
The Skankaway Anti-Toe-Fungal 500  16th  WOOHOO
Arsesweat apaoooza 2011  90th Arsesweat 2012 36th
Sears pointless 2011 47th 2012 118th

zebrabeefj40 wrote:

I would try polishing the crank first and see how much of the damage disappears.  Then you can make an assessment of the damage and form a plan.  The "right way" is to pull the motor and rebuild.  That way you can clean all the passages out and KNOW the motor is clean and good to go.  Biggest issue I see is finding parts to rebuild it correctly.  I would not reuse any of the bearings I see in the pics; they all look like junk to me.  What is the condition of the motor in the parts car again?  Maybe you could combine the two into one good motor?

Don't give up!  I, for one, am looking forward to seeing pics/vid of this car on track...

+1

I asked about it in another thread but I had successfully fixed a 2002 motor like this with undersized journals by using shim stock behind the new bearings to get proper clearances.  The bigger concern is why it happened.  This is the part that will drive you crazy.  It could be anything from a plugged passage to a weak oil pump to the wrong dipstick in the motor (too long).  My WAG is that there is a weak oil pump at the rear of the motor and #1 is a looong way away from it.  Or you can go old school like they did during the depression and replace the bearing with bacon.  It'll work for a couple hundred miles and it's self lubricating!

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

bossnova wrote:

I noticed red on side of bearings did you use a red assembly lube? If so it still being there it indicates no oil flow to that bearing  If all red from other bearing are washed with reg oil then obstruction may be in block to the main that is scuffed and the 1 bad rod. In my world that crank needs to be at least polished and the rod is probably not round anymore but this is Lemons a little emery cloth and some plastigage may get er done. Good Luck.

I think the red in the photos is from the camera's focusing LED.   It isn't there in real life.

zebrabeefj40 wrote:

You're right that the "right way" is a rebuild.   I'm really spooked about not getting all of the passages cleaned out.

Yes, parts are a big problem.   My hope is to find bearings that are "close enough" and grind the crank to fit.   I haven't pulled the engine in the parts car yet, but will be doing so right after the Infineon race.

I am NOT going to give up, even though I get discouraged from time to time.   This project has become bigger than just me, and I don't want to disappoint my friends.

I would suggest a vintage straight six from an old Mustang/Falcon, AMC, or Chevy.  People practically give these things away to get a V8 in their old cars.  Try to get one connected to the original transmission for ease of swap.  Your car has a leaf spring rear, right? So no torque tube wierdness.  All you will be left with is getting a driveshaft made, and you have an extra one in the parts car right?  Cannon Engineering in North Hollywood can make you something in about 24 hours.  Here are some Chevys:

Running 1970 250 $350 - http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/2861590162.html
Running 1951 with CI powerglide $500 - http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/2856466917.html
Running 1954 w/ 3speed stick - http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/pt … 31008.html

cheseroo wrote:

I asked about it in another thread but I had successfully fixed a 2002 motor like this with undersized journals by using shim stock behind the new bearings to get proper clearances.  The bigger concern is why it happened.  This is the part that will drive you crazy.  It could be anything from a plugged passage to a weak oil pump to the wrong dipstick in the motor (too long).  My WAG is that there is a weak oil pump at the rear of the motor and #1 is a looong way away from it.  Or you can go old school like they did during the depression and replace the bearing with bacon.  It'll work for a couple hundred miles and it's self lubricating!

An old toothless redneck at the local NAPA store also recommended the shim trick.   I like it.

I don't think the problem is the oil pump.   I disassembled it and all the clearances are perfect.   It looks good.

The pump output attaches to the block between cylinders #1 and #2 (or is it 2 and 3?   I'll have to look.), so it is a pretty short distance to #1.   I also doubt the dipstick, since I put in the specified quantity (something like 9 quarts!) and the dipstick read Full.   It had plenty of oil.

Bacon as a bearing?!?!?!   I love it!!!   smile

Maybe you could put together a canister of some sort, fill it with oil and pressurize it with shop air through a regulator.  Connect the output of the canister to the oil pressure switch port with a suitable hose, then allow the oil to flow and watch what happens at the main & rod bearings.  This might prove whether oil can flow properly to all bearing locations.  If you're feeling bold, fill the canister with ATF or another fluid with detergent or solvent properties to perform an in-situ cleanup.

Team Co-Craptain, Los Cerdos Voladores
Plymouth Neon
Yeah, we're horrible...but we're LEAST Horrible

93 (edited by Junkyard Dog 2012-03-07 07:08 PM)

Ouch. That bites.

From previous sad experience, that rod's opening is now too wallowed out to clamp the bearing tightly. Here's the deal: Bearings are made with a certain amount of 'crush', meaning they stick up maybe .005 or so past the parting line of the rod and cap. When the rod is torqued, the bearing is forced into very close contact with the rod or cap. If the bearing spins inside the rod, it wallows out the rod meaning that 'crush' is gone and the only way to get it back is to have the rod 'resized' or get another rod. Yup, that means the head has to come off. If this is not done, the new bearing will spin, probably in less than 50 miles. Been there, done that.

Oh, and my dad told me about using pieces of a leather belt as temporary rod bearings in a 1932 Chevy. big_smile

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

widgetsltd wrote:

Maybe you could put together a canister of some sort, fill it with oil and pressurize it with shop air through a regulator.  Connect the output of the canister to the oil pressure switch port with a suitable hose, then allow the oil to flow and watch what happens at the main & rod bearings.  This might prove whether oil can flow properly to all bearing locations.  If you're feeling bold, fill the canister with ATF or another fluid with detergent or solvent properties to perform an in-situ cleanup.

That is our starting plan.   Instead of a pressurized tank, I'm thinking of using an old power steering pump and an electric motor.   I'm just not sure of the pressure & volume coming out of a PS pump.   Anybody know?

Junkyard Dog wrote:

From previous sad experience, that rod's opening is now too wallowed out to clamp the bearing tightly. Here's the deal: Bearings are made with a certain amount of 'crush', meaning they stick up maybe .005 or so past the parting line of the rod and cap. When the rod is torqued, the bearing is forced into very close contact with the rod or cap. If the bearing spins inside the rod, it wallows out the rod meaning that 'crush' is gone and the only way to get it back is to have the rod 'resized' or get another rod. Yup, that means the head has to come off. If this is not done, the new bearing will spin, probably in less than 50 miles. Been there, done that.

Thanks, that is good stuff to know.   It will definitely influence our plan.   Fortunately, the parts car does have an engine, even though it is bad.   A previous owner removed the spark plugs and mice then peed and crapped down the spark plug holes.   Needless to say, that engine is frozen, probably with the rings rusted to the cylinder walls.   The odds are good that at least the rods can be salvaged.   We'll know more after I pull that engine (after Infineon, er, Sears Point) in a few weeks.

You are truly epic!  You going to slog that thing up to the PNW?  It's the only race we're making this year.

Putting the "dirty" in Dirty Little Freaks Racing
~stalk us on facebook

97 (edited by Spank 2012-04-28 01:43 PM)

You do realize, Cowdriver, It's Lemons, dude. It's not precision work we're talking about here.

It's.

Friggin'.

Lemons.

You've done sooooo much work. And now you are a damned motor away-- no, wait: a single rod journal, a single connecting rod, and some bearings and gaskets away-- from getting this outlandish, ridiculous automobile on track.

Or plan B could be buy cheap running Jeep with straight six and automatic. Swap into Humber. Race. Swap back into Jeep and sell once Humber motor fixed

That suggested plan B motor swap also works with a Mustang/Falcon/Maverick/Granada drivetrain.  Or a Nova/Chevelle/Camaro.  No need to put the motor back in these cars either. You could most likely sell is sans motor for the same price.

100 (edited by Spank 2012-03-08 10:42 AM)

Cowdriver and I have talked. The America is now Plan A v2.0 for Sears.

I'm not letting him off the hook for the Snipe for Buttowillow, though. Must. Have. Snipe.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming already in progress