Re: True tales of the Super Snipe

I was beginning to think these Humber Super Snipes were another elaborate joke, as I've never actually seen one in the wild.

However last weekend I ran across THIS beauty. Spent some quality time pouring over it and questioning its owner.

I want one. That makes exactly TWO Rootes Group vehicles I now covet.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/382452_4210598907795_1580684656_n.jpg

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Humbers are REAL!

153 (edited by Junkyard Dog 2012-06-11 05:42 PM)

Man, if I wasn't on completely the wrong coast you'd have another driver...

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

Sparky Pete wrote:

I was beginning to think these Humber Super Snipes were another elaborate joke, as I've never actually seen one in the wild.

However last weekend I ran across THIS beauty. Spent some quality time pouring over it and questioning its owner.

See what lengths people will go to to play an elaborate joke on you?   smile

Sparky Pete wrote:

I want one. That makes exactly TWO Rootes Group vehicles I now covet. ]

I would offer to sell you my '64, minus engine & transmission, but I don't want your Super Wife to take out a contract on my life.   smile

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

Not an elaborate joke? What, you didn't notice the *white Audi Coupe GT* in the background of the pic of the shiny Snipe??

The conspiracy is wide ranging, my friend!!

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

congrats on your IOE- well deserved!

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

Congrats on getting the Super Snipe complete and on the track for the whole event!  I smiled every time I saw it.   I also heard lots of lustful comments in the paddock on what a cool car that was.

Pete

Glad to be a part of it. A truly scary car to drive.
Once all the suspension and steering bits got in harmony in a corner it was ok, but it was like sailing:
"All a starboard,  set rigging for a tack!" "Aye aye cap'n, she's coming about!" "Rig for turn, everyone to the high side!"

Those tires looked quite abused by the end.

Thanks for the nickname!

Cheers,
-Anton
'The Carb Whisperer'

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 143 races and counting.
2/25/24

http://mclellansautomotive.com/photos/B25189.jpg

We've only scratched the surface of Rootes Group goodness! Please, someone, race a Plymouth Cricket!

I liked the orange 'slow moving vehicle' warning reflector on the back.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

It's not a Rootes Group car but how about a '74 Austin Marina?  No engine and trans but in decent shape.

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc367/HVR_67/1974%20Austin%20Marina/Liberty-20120630-00135.jpg

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc367/HVR_67/1974%20Austin%20Marina/Liberty-20120630-00139.jpg

Greg
Team Skid Steer
Mercury Bobcat

British Leyland products are always encouraged in Lemons.

In fact, I am shocked that we haven't had a good British Leyland On Strike theme yet. Picket signs, workers wielding hammers (the primary BL assembly tool) anti-Tory tirades, etc.

I have to work today, but I will start on the catch-up postings tonight.   I want to cover everything I did since the last "episode", but was to busy wrenching to type.

I was astoundingly lucky with the three arrive-and-drives I got for my team!   The "Three Bobs" were the greatest greatest team members anyone could hope for.   Not only did they all have skills that contributed greatly to the effort, but they worked well together and were always cheerful and pleasant.   So I give thanks to Bob Kuykendall, Bobby Olsen, and Rob O'Brien -- the "Three Bobs".   Anyone who gets them on their team can count themselves lucky.   I would run with them again without a moment's hesitation.

But we would have been totally screwed without the efforts of Anton "Carb Whisperer" Lovett.   He wandered by on Friday evening and said, "That doesn't sound good."   He then spent until 11:30pm Friday and all Saturday morning diagnosing and fixing or carb problems.   Without his help, we would not have been able to do nearly as well as we did.

While winning the IOE was the greatest thrill, it was matched by having all the judges bow to the Super Snipe as I came off the track at the end of the race.   I think the car exceeded their expectations.   smile

164 (edited by Parkwod60 2012-07-02 01:23 PM)

Now what you need are a set of 16" wheels, some 225/50-16 Star Specs (nearly as tall as what you have on there now), dual exhaust out of the stock split manifold and some sort of multi-carb set up. It's leaf sprung in the back so a tape measure and the junk yard should provide you with a rear sway bar. Next stop Class C Winner!

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

Judge Phil wrote:

http://mclellansautomotive.com/photos/B25189.jpg

We've only scratched the surface of Rootes Group goodness! Please, someone, race a Plymouth Cricket!

That's not a Rootes-based Cricket. That's a Mitsubishi Galant, sold in the US as a Colt, and it replaced the Cricket here. I think the photo there is a Canadian Cricket.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

http://www.allpar.com/images/plymouth/cricket/1971-cricket.jpg

OK, here's the Hillman-based Cricket. Actually, an early Colt would also be a fine Lemons car.

Twas quite fantastic to see that car out there. I think you guys turned more laps than we did or at least out there for longer.

'00 Volvo XC - DD
'11 Volvo XC90 V8 - Wife's, V8 go Vroom
'12 Mazda5 - Work Thingy
'05 E450 Ambulance - Work Thingy

Alan, thank you very much for the opportunity to drive and wrench with such a wonderful 24 Hours of Lemons team! I really enjoyed working with you and Rob and Bobby. The teamwork made it all both possible and worthwhile.

Rob brought incredible energy and determination to the team, and Bobby had a wonderfully cheerful methodicality that kept us on track and focused on the big prize. I don't think I could have asked for a better team. It really was an honor and a privilege.

The racing itself was some of the most challenging and rewarding driving I have ever had the privilege of doing. Within its somewhat limited performance envelope, the Super Snipe proved predictable and tractable, with few bad habits. Despite its loose suspension and steering, it really was fun to drive in those rare opportunities where sparse traffic allowed smooth classic lines from entry to exit. And during all the other times, it was fairly easy to drive predictably so everyone else could scream on by.

Alan, I really appreciate the obviously methodical work you put into preparing for the race. All of the basics had been thought through and addressed. We had bulletproof radios so we could always communicate clearly. We always had food and water, and a clean well-lighted place to work. We had all the tools we needed and more, and all of the fabrication capacity we could possibly have needed. The engine itself ran like the proverbial British Watch. The cage was well-designed and well-fabricated, and I felt perfectly comfortable with the protection it afforded.

I think that the future of the Super Snipe is already writ large within the existing body of Lemons canon: Nothing bad could possibly get worse without the help of forced induction. So how about a supercharger and CIS or MegaSquirt injection system? What could possibly go wrong?

Thanks again,

Bob K.

One of the Bobs had an epic mustache.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Sparky Pete wrote:

One of the Bobs had an epic mustache.

He also had a traditional cloth cap and a set of British mechanic's coveralls.   He has an accent that borders on something vaguely British.   I wanted to call him Nigel.   :-)

As for Bob's comment's about the engine, I think it is basically very strong and just needs the carburation issues resolved.   It burned less than a quart of oil all weekend, and it was still so clean that it was actually hard to read on the diipstick.   I'm going to stop worrying about the quality of my rebuild.   It is hard to believe that only a month ago it was a bare block sitting on my patio, with no two component parts connected to each other.   That is, however, until I look at the concrete and think of all the work I have to do to remove the oil stains.   smile

You just need to bolt up a proper gearbox and then it's forced induction ahoy.

And get rid of that #$% carburetor smile

The Humber can OWN Class C.

Cheers,
-Anton
(sometime 'Carb Whisperer')

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 143 races and counting.
2/25/24

what kind of bolt pattern and bellhousing shape does that hemi6 have? are there any 3or4 speed manuals that could bolt up?

dana_h_acdc wrote:

what kind of bolt pattern and bellhousing shape does that hemi6 have? are there any 3or4 speed manuals that could bolt up?

I'll post photos and dimensions when I do the catch-up postings tomorrow.

I think the first priority is to fix the suspension and steering.

Just for fun, I'm driving the Super Snipe to work this morning.   If I'm lucky, I'll get the parking spot next to the CEO.   smile   Second choice is the CFO.   He is a Corvette guy and I've been teasing him about putting the Super Snipe engine in a Corvette chassis.   Sort of like Spank's project but with more British lemony goodness.  smile

We'll need pictures of that!

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Forced Induction? That's the easy way out. At least your motor has a proper removable aluminum intake manifold, and a pair of 3 into 1 cast iron exhausts bolted to a 2 into 1 cast iron Y.  Are the intake ports evenly spaced? Did your parts motor come with an intake manifold? Spend $150 on a nice valve job and milling the head, add dual exhaust and get rid of the Y pipe, cut up the intake you have and make it fit 3 1bbl side drafts, or even down drafts and I bet you can nearly double the power you are making now.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura