Re: Kershaw People's Curse

Is it posted anywhere which teams got votes against them?

It happened and we knew if one did not get crushed the other would have won.  Jay stood up and said his speach and the people spoke once again.  Let it go guys, I'm sure they will look at 13b real good come next race.

Saturn 5 Race team

We voted to crush the judges rental Kia....

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

I/we voted for Jay's rental in February.  No one/Jay in June.

We could have reenacted Days of Thunder and tested the limits of rental car insurance.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

My Take:

Look, If the car was an obvious Cheat, the judges would have caught it and assigned laps. They didn't. I checked the car out. Other than internal engine mods, the car wasn't a cheat. It really did have stock suspension under it unlike the Cheater Cops who had $1000+ worth of suspension mods in the car. The Probe? Obvious Cheats. Lightning McQueen? RCR sponsored, Lingenfetler built engine still couldn't overcome race strategy.

Fact is, the car was honest (as it gets) and it raced CLEAN. It pointed me by when I was whippin it's tail on the straights, and cleaned my clock on the tight turns. We passed each other 50 times and never touched. 

ALSO!!!  Jay CLEARLY states in the rule to NOT vote the current winner just because he's cleaning your clock. Why the hell did everyone vote this car? He was racing CLEAN! Go check out the car!!!  NO fast fill fuel cell, no trick brakes, not LS1 under hood...  IT'S CLEAN!!  So why vote this car? I'll never understand that.

B U T... Jay and company invented the crush rule. Why not live by it? You gave us all a ballot and we voted. Maybe the Judges should have cast a vote too, exonerating the RX-7 and putting the Race Engine'd VW in the crush?? Maybe the USS EnterSuck for being a cheat and a huge PITA on the track?? Maybe just beat the piss out of teh RX-7 but leave it running so it could enter the race but still run like the Rubber Biscuit bull shitters?

At the end of his mercy speech, I REALLY wanted to see it crushed!!!  I wanted BLOOD!!!!!  I hate that #1 was voted, but stand by your guns. Crush the winner of the vote!

We had the White Lightning and Lightning McQueen cars up on jackstands and the teams in full Guantanamo Interrogation Mode for a good 45 minutes, with Jay taking personal charge of those inspections, and those cars were clean (by Lemons South standards). Actually, Lightning McQueen got 2 penalty laps... and they lost by 3/4 lap. What really kept them from the win, however, was the half-dozen cars that died on the track in rapid succession with a few minutes to go (which also happened in the previous two CMP Lemons races); they were cutting it too close on fuel, and there was no way the checkered was going to drop with a track full of tow trucks.

32 (edited by trekkor 2009-09-15 09:43 PM)

According to the crewmember posting on TrackGeeks Live™, the McQueen car was pushing oil temps above 260 in the last 45 minutes.

I, along with many others, were on the  edge of our virtual seats.
The short red flag and many yellows saved their motor, I believe.

I haven't seen a more exciting finish to *anything* that I can remember!!

The battle back to the lead by White Lightening was epic.

I think we were all rooting for McQueen to get back in front.
Those extra laps added to the end were fantastic!!

I hope to see more of this.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

No doubt!!  The ending was exciting as hell for racers AND the spectators!!!

I was secretly cheering for McQueen to make it happen with all that new found Sunday horsepower.

I was expecting a disgruntled voter to 'take out' the White Lightening car near in the final minutes.
I'm glad they didn't.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

trekkor wrote:

According to the crewmember posting on TrackGeeks Live™, the McQueen car was pushing oil temps above 260 in the last 45 minutes

Why have an oil temp gauge in the car? Just one more thing to stress about! Anyway, is 260 degrees really that hot for engine oil?

If a team is fast on the track and winning by being good, courteous drivers then I wouldn't vote for them...

But then if there is nothing about the car that's "in the spirit of Lemons" - with nothing but a number and some duct tape on it... then yeah... it would be easier to vote for it to be crushed.

Owner #132 Lancia/Toyota Beta/MR2 Scorpion

Bonedriver wrote:

...But then if there is nothing about the car that's "in the spirit of Lemons" - with nothing but a number and some duct tape on it... then yeah... it would be easier to vote for it to be crushed.

Good point.  This is the only thing that bugged me about the RX7.  They put zero effort into a theme.  At least with the races at CMP, I can't think of a team that has put less effort into being in the spirit of Lemons that the White Lightning team.

Doesn't mean they should be crushed, but it made it to where I didn't care if they were.

trekkor wrote:

According to the crewmember posting on TrackGeeks Live™, the McQueen car was pushing oil temps above 260 in the last 45 minutes.

I, along with many others, were on the  edge of our virtual seats.
The short red flag and many yellows saved their motor, I believe.

I haven't seen a more exciting finish to *anything* that I can remember!!

The battle back to the lead by White Lightening was epic.

I think we were all rooting for McQueen to get back in front.
Those extra laps added to the end were fantastic!!

I hope to see more of this.

KT

I have to agree. This was an exciting race to watch. The chat room interaction with everyone just made it so much better. Thanks to the timing folks for letting us have access to the data to post in the chat room towards the end. I was on the edge of my seat on every lap waiting for the cars to come around to see the gap between p1 and p2.

MurileeMartin wrote:

Anyway, is 260 degrees really that hot for engine oil?

As long as you are running something slightly better than urine for oil, 260° isn't really of much concern.

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

ecugrad wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

As long as you are running something slightly better than urine for oil, 260° isn't really of much concern.

look at Mr. Fancy-Pants and his non-urine oil.  sheesh.  i guess some big-buck people can afford to BUY oil.

smile

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Buzz Killington wrote:
ecugrad wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

look at Mr. Fancy-Pants and his non-urine oil.  sheesh.  i guess some big-buck people can afford to BUY oil.

smile

Well, we tried making our own oil, but the bits we had weren't long enough to drill for it in my back yard. smile

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

MurileeMartin wrote:

Not for a turbo car with good oil.  If it was an NA w/said urine, I'd be worried.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

VKZ24 wrote:

Well, we tried making our own oil, but the bits we had weren't long enough to drill for it in my back yard. smile

You're doing it wrong.  You have to make chicken soup and skim the oil from the top of the broth.  It may take a few dinners but you will never get a cold or swine flu.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Petroleum oils seem to have a hard time anywhere close to 300*, but many synthetics will survive 300+...

So that's what you need to do to make your own oil- surely you have some suitable base stocks around for your VKZ24Syn(th) oil...
The kids leave their oil paints around?
Some old expired castor oil from the drugstore?
Various hair products?
You'll have some long-chain polymers in no time- ready for the next race!

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 143 races and counting.
2/25/24

X-args wrote:

Petroleum oils seem to have a hard time anywhere close to 300*, but many synthetics will survive 300+...

Sssshhhh!!!  Next Murliee and Co. will be having all of us draining our oil to see how much we spent or didn't spend!

Seriously if you want the car to last and place well there are few things you don't skimp on IMO.

1. Brakes
2. Tires
3. Oil

I know Lemons is supposed to be low budget affair, but I still can't believe the number of people who show up with AutoZone pads and all season snow tires.  Brake and tires are 100% safety related and we bought the best we could get. 

On the flip side...the extra $10 alternator belt we didn't buy is what bit us in the @ss. sad  After an hour delay and many laps we certainly learned our lesson and will be prepared next time.

Captain

46 (edited by VKZ24 2009-09-16 08:25 AM)

BTW, X-args I'm sort of a fellow expert on J-body wheel bearings.  I have a '98 Z-24 that I've tracked for many years and I literally keep (8) as spares in my tool box.  I've probably changed 25 or more on my car over the years.

Captain

Everyone knows urine can't be used for engine lubrication....it's for the radiator

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

VKZ24 wrote:
X-args wrote:

Sssshhhh!!!  Next Murliee and Co. will be having all of us draining our oil to see how much we spent or didn't spend!

Seriously if you want the car to last and place well there are few things you don't skimp on IMO.

1. Brakes
2. Tires
3. Oil

I know Lemons is supposed to be low budget affair, but I still can't believe the number of people who show up with AutoZone pads and all season snow tires.  Brake and tires are 100% safety related and we bought the best we could get. 

On the flip side...the extra $10 alternator belt we didn't buy is what bit us in the @ss. sad  After an hour delay and many laps we certainly learned our lesson and will be prepared next time.

The number of brake failures concerns me.  Then Tunachuckers catching fire due to a blown brake line.  Wake up people, this ain't a Sunday drive for ice cream, we are actually racing here people.

Regarding spare parts, you can buy all kinds of spare parts like belts, rotors hoses, clutches and things at Autozone or O'Reillys and return them at the end of the race if you don't use them.  The list gets longer with every race.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

The car in the lead DID get the most votes, but remember a popular doesnt mean right.  Britney Spears first album went plantnum 14 times...

ANYWAYS

The peoples curse is for bad driving, says so right on the ballot.  If the PEOPLE don't abide by that then to hell with the vote.  And as a few other people pointed out the vast majority of people didn't vote for them to be crushed, after Jay's appeal the people voted for them to be spared.  Personally if a team doesnt get atleast half the vote then I don't think the curse should happen.  I don't think the curse needs to go away, but its time to rethink it.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Tiptoe the rat wrote:

Britney Spears first album went plantnum 14 times...

http://cdn0.knowyourmeme.com/i/6512/original/DoubleFacePalm.jpg

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!