Re: Kershaw People's Curse

Disney wrote:

My Take:

Look, If the car was an obvious Cheat, the judges would have caught it and assigned laps. They didn't. I checked the car out. Other than internal engine mods, the car wasn't a cheat. It really did have stock suspension under it unlike the Cheater Cops who had $1000+ worth of suspension mods in the car. The Probe? Obvious Cheats. Lightning McQueen? RCR sponsored, Lingenfetler built engine still couldn't overcome race strategy.

Dude, did you ever look under our car? Anyone is welcome to, anytime. The judges did. Our Lincoln has ALL STOCK CONTROL ARMS, STOCK SWAY BARS, CHEAPO ($25 each) MONROE FRONT SHOCKS, AND STOCK BUSHINGS. We even have all stock brakes. Our mods? Drilled a hole outside the stock camber adjustment to get more negative camber (free), used '03 Cobra takeoff rear shocks with like 35k ($100 shipped for the pair, thanks Ricardo!), $15 Autozone/Energy Suspension universal rear sway bar endlinks, and Vogtland 1.6" drop springs ($205 shipped for the set). I made the perches myself, with scrap metal.

$50+$100+$15+$205=$370
$370 is not over $1000.
Counting the stock, NON-POLYURETHANE bushings we replaced in the front end (fronts are $18 from RockAuto), since Stafford, we were WAAAAAAAAY under budget this last race. Yeah, we finished 10th overall in Stafford. Did you notice we were ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY LAPS DOWN on the leader? I don't even know where we finished at CMP last weekend, but we did less than 200 laps, due to blowing the head gaskets and cooking the motor. We had to push it on the trailer.

We had a $200 residual after a poor performance at our first race, and an even lower one after our second. When Nick Pon found out I had bought an MR2 for just under $500 to replace the Lincoln, he seemed really disappointed. Anybody can go fast in a sports car. We decided to stick with our unique, underdog approach, and keep the only Lincoln Mark VIII ever to run Lemons going. The Schumaker Taxi guys were more than willing to pick up the MR2 from us as a parts car. Jay knew we needed to improve on this:
http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/8183722/aview/lemonsmarkviii.jpg

So, we turned it into this:
http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/8183722/aview/mark8swat2.jpg

At Stafford, he saw the 1-2" of fore-and-aft movement in each of our front wheels, due to the missing bushings. He was gracious enough to give us a low residual, to help us bring the car back. We were able to do that well under budget. We had bought a 5 speed for $150 to put in, but even with a $30 used GT clutch, and LOW prices on everything to put it in ($50 pedals, etc.), we would have been over the $500 limit. Instead, we opted to keep the slower automatic, and wait to install the 5 speed until we could do it under budget. We made the car faster by gutting nearly 400 pounds out of it after Stafford. WE REFUSE TO CHEAT. I don't care what you believe, that's a fact.

How about getting the facts straight before making up random valuations of suspension mods and accusing others of cheating? I looked at the Probe and talked to the guys. I don't think they cheated at all, but they should have told the judges what they did to the car, and shouldn't have thrown dirt on suspension parts. They learned the hard way. You guys need to strip that SVX down any way you can if you want it to go faster.

Why did you say we cheated in this thread, and say this in another:

Disney wrote:

Ronman,

Excellent work on those shots!!!  You are to Photography what your car is to LeMon's, totally awesome on the cheap! hahaha

Nice work, and great shots!

???

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

BlackSheep1 wrote:
Bonedriver wrote:

...But then if there is nothing about the car that's "in the spirit of Lemons" - with nothing but a number and some duct tape on it... then yeah... it would be easier to vote for it to be crushed.

Good point.  This is the only thing that bugged me about the RX7.  They put zero effort into a theme.  At least with the races at CMP, I can't think of a team that has put less effort into being in the spirit of Lemons that the White Lightning team.

Doesn't mean they should be crushed, but it made it to where I didn't care if they were.

as a crew guy on the white lighting rx-7 , we worked hard (in putting the car together) not to mess up the grass stains on the sides , from sitting in the waist high grass , the spider webs and even the dirt dobbers nests under/on the car.....most of which were still there after 3 races !! the fun factor is way up there in these races . can't wait to do it again ! maybe with another topest rx-7 ! we might try to  pick a theme ???    racingralph

racingralph wrote:
BlackSheep1 wrote:
Bonedriver wrote:

...But then if there is nothing about the car that's "in the spirit of Lemons" - with nothing but a number and some duct tape on it... then yeah... it would be easier to vote for it to be crushed.

Good point.  This is the only thing that bugged me about the RX7.  They put zero effort into a theme.  At least with the races at CMP, I can't think of a team that has put less effort into being in the spirit of Lemons that the White Lightning team.

Doesn't mean they should be crushed, but it made it to where I didn't care if they were.

as a crew guy on the white lighting rx-7 , we worked hard (in putting the car together) not to mess up the grass stains on the sides , from sitting in the waist high grass , the spider webs and even the dirt dobbers nests under/on the car.....most of which were still there after 3 races !! the fun factor is way up there in these races . can't wait to do it again ! maybe with another topest rx-7 ! we might try to  pick a theme ???    racingralph

Here is a pic of the White Lightning dirt dobber nest after two Lemons races. Don't have current post third race pictures yet. Please disregard the light weight trick CV joints and super trick suspension parts in the picture. Everyone will be pleased to hear that the Dirt Dobber has now survived the third Lemons race still intact, but it was lucky. I don't think it would have survived the People's Curse.

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad61/E-Speed/100_4822.jpg

Everything was fine after they got the fire put out.

you know... burying your high dollar cheater suspension parts in the backyard for a week or two, they wind up looking just like that! Ours did! [j/k]

Owner #132 Lancia/Toyota Beta/MR2 Scorpion

and what kind of bribe did you offer those wasps anyway....................very effective

spectator "Lamest Day 09",DNF "American Irony" 2010,DNS "Capitol Offense"2010,DNF "Gingervitis"2011,DNF"ShowroomShlock"2011 maybe someday....                                                                                     
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"luckily I didnt go into the mountain,.......I went over the cliff. I was doin 300 MPH sideways and 100 ft. down at the same time............"

56 (edited by E-Speed 2009-09-22 07:13 AM)

prime suspect wrote:

and what kind of bribe did you offer those wasps anyway....................very effective

Actually, dirt dobbers do look a lot like wasps. The dirt dobbers had already abandoned their house before we originally built the car. So, just to let everyone know, there were no dirt dobbers harmed in the building of White Lightning.

E-Speed wrote:

So, just to let everyone know, there were no dirt dobbers harmed in the building of White Lightning.

Ok, I don't like you guys now.  Dirt Dobbers are a PITA.  Kill 'em all!

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

VKZ24 wrote:

I agree.  Why even have the people vote if you don't like the results?  Fair or unfair, the people had spoken and the curse should have been carried out.  In the end I guess we all need to learn and accept this Jay's race and he can do what ever the hell he wants...and he did.

I think it is a good thing that Jay (and the crowd) spared the White Lightning team.  Their crime was running a fairly clean race in a well driven legit car.  Since there wasn't anyone who really stood out for being on-track-asshats, people chose to vote for their competition as a way of beating them by eliminating them.  I'm pretty sure that was not Jay's intent for the Curse. 

By sparing them Jay is showing that if you vote for a team just because they are beating you, your vote may not count.  Hopefully this will encourage teams to either vote for the real asshats or chose no one. 

The races are getting cleaner and cleaner.  Making it harder to determine a real deserving Curse candidate.  This is a good thing!  It makes the actual race more enjoyable.  Lets hope there comes a time when Jay can do away with the Curse all together (OK I'm dreaming now, but you get the idea). 

-Scott

Scott Barton

Maybe the Judges should have cast a vote too, exonerating the RX-7 and putting the Race Engine'd VW in the crush?? Maybe the USS EnterSuck for being a cheat and a huge PITA on the track??

Sorry Disney world, I'll slow down for you next time. By the way, which PITA cheater car where you driving?

If foaming occurs, pull relief.

Speedycop wrote:
Disney wrote:

My Take:

Look, If the car was an obvious Cheat, the judges would have caught it and assigned laps. They didn't. I checked the car out. Other than internal engine mods, the car wasn't a cheat. It really did have stock suspension under it unlike the Cheater Cops who had $1000+ worth of suspension mods in the car. The Probe? Obvious Cheats. Lightning McQueen? RCR sponsored, Lingenfetler built engine still couldn't overcome race strategy.

Dude, did you ever look under our car? Anyone is welcome to, anytime. The judges did. Our Lincoln has ALL STOCK CONTROL ARMS, STOCK SWAY BARS, CHEAPO ($25 each) MONROE FRONT SHOCKS, AND STOCK BUSHINGS. We even have all stock brakes. Our mods? Drilled a hole outside the stock camber adjustment to get more negative camber (free), used '03 Cobra takeoff rear shocks with like 35k ($100 shipped for the pair, thanks Ricardo!), $15 Autozone/Energy Suspension universal rear sway bar endlinks, and Vogtland 1.6" drop springs ($205 shipped for the set). I made the perches myself, with scrap metal.

$50+$100+$15+$205=$370
$370 is not over $1000.
Counting the stock, NON-POLYURETHANE bushings we replaced in the front end (fronts are $18 from RockAuto), since Stafford, we were WAAAAAAAAY under budget this last race. Yeah, we finished 10th overall in Stafford. Did you notice we were ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY LAPS DOWN on the leader? I don't even know where we finished at CMP last weekend, but we did less than 200 laps, due to blowing the head gaskets and cooking the motor. We had to push it on the trailer.

We had a $200 residual after a poor performance at our first race, and an even lower one after our second. When Nick Pon found out I had bought an MR2 for just under $500 to replace the Lincoln, he seemed really disappointed. Anybody can go fast in a sports car. We decided to stick with our unique, underdog approach, and keep the only Lincoln Mark VIII ever to run Lemons going. The Schumaker Taxi guys were more than willing to pick up the MR2 from us as a parts car. Jay knew we needed to improve on this:
http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/8183722/a … rkviii.jpg

So, we turned it into this:
http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/8183722/a … 8swat2.jpg

At Stafford, he saw the 1-2" of fore-and-aft movement in each of our front wheels, due to the missing bushings. He was gracious enough to give us a low residual, to help us bring the car back. We were able to do that well under budget. We had bought a 5 speed for $150 to put in, but even with a $30 used GT clutch, and LOW prices on everything to put it in ($50 pedals, etc.), we would have been over the $500 limit. Instead, we opted to keep the slower automatic, and wait to install the 5 speed until we could do it under budget. We made the car faster by gutting nearly 400 pounds out of it after Stafford. WE REFUSE TO CHEAT. I don't care what you believe, that's a fact.

How about getting the facts straight before making up random valuations of suspension mods and accusing others of cheating? I looked at the Probe and talked to the guys. I don't think they cheated at all, but they should have told the judges what they did to the car, and shouldn't have thrown dirt on suspension parts. They learned the hard way. You guys need to strip that SVX down any way you can if you want it to go faster.

Why did you say we cheated in this thread, and say this in another:

Disney wrote:

Ronman,

Excellent work on those shots!!!  You are to Photography what your car is to LeMon's, totally awesome on the cheap! hahaha

Nice work, and great shots!

???

I think Disney world needs to read lemon's rule 2.2.4

If foaming occurs, pull relief.

I agree. Why cheat? There are so many old-time low-buck or no-buck tricks that you'd be in the sport for years before you ran out of ideas. Ask a guy with white hair...besides, if you wanna go fast, there's noting in the rules about spending on a day at a driving school....quickest way to get quick, in my experience anyway.

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

you're right jim , along with the older drivers , it helps to have a couple of teenage drivers , that will listen to us older guys (very rare) and still drive with no fear ! i'm very proud of all of our drivers , both old & young.   gasguy/fender lizard...racingralph

racingralph wrote:

it helps to have a couple of teenage drivers   
gasguy/fender lizard...racingralph

We had teenage drivers?

racingralph wrote:

you're right jim , along with the older drivers , it helps to have a couple of teenage drivers , that will listen to us older guys (very rare) and still drive with no fear ! i'm very proud of all of our drivers , both old & young.   gasguy/fender lizard...racingralph

Getting a teenager to listen to you is a better trick than anything I've picked up in 36 years of spinning wrenches....and I know some stuff that would make Smokey Yunick blush.

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

I think we've been spamed again!

Disney wrote:

My Take:

Fact is, the car was honest (as it gets) and it raced CLEAN. It pointed me by when I was whippin it's tail on the straights, and cleaned my clock on the tight turns. We passed each other 50 times and never touched. 

ALSO!!!  Jay CLEARLY states in the rule to NOT vote the current winner just because he's cleaning your clock. Why the hell did everyone vote this car? He was racing CLEAN! Go check out the car!!!  NO fast fill fuel cell, no trick brakes, not LS1 under hood...  IT'S CLEAN!!  So why vote this car? I'll never understand that.

B U T... Jay and company invented the crush rule. Why not live by it? You gave us all a ballot and we voted. Maybe the Judges should have cast a vote too, exonerating the RX-7 and putting the Race Engine'd VW in the crush?? Maybe the USS EnterSuck for being a cheat and a huge PITA on the track?? Maybe just beat the piss out of teh RX-7 but leave it running so it could enter the race but still run like the Rubber Biscuit bull shitters?

At the end of his mercy speech, I REALLY wanted to see it crushed!!!  I wanted BLOOD!!!!!  I hate that #1 was voted, but stand by your guns. Crush the winner of the vote!

The guy is racing a giant Lincoln,  is that what you'd start with to build a cheater???

Kudos to the judges for not trashing a car because of sour grapes (or Lemons)