Re: NEVER GIVE UP! NEVER SURRENDER! Speedy's guide to success in adversity

Gerry, had I not known otherwise, I would have sworn you boys were long time Lemons veterans and wondered how I hadn't heard heard about you before.  You guys just 'fit'.

Hope to see you again!

d

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

Speedycop wrote:

I can send you pics. The GT is not part of the deal. That sucker is going on Ebay soon, most likely. I just need to rebuild the Strombergs and put them back on, so that it's driveable.

I'm interested in parts for the Jensen Healeys, but I'm REALLY interested in the GT.  I wouldn't be LeMoning it.  It would be a project car for me. My wife gave me a green light and the Jensen GT is on the short list.  How much are you looking to get for the GT?

El Capitan de Substandard Racing -  Houston, Tx
2009 Yee Haw! It's Lemons Texas: 1973 Gremlin - Gremwow!
2010 Gator-O-Rama: 1973 Gremlin - Gremlin Express, Lassiez le Crapheaps Roulette - Gremlin - Most Heroic Fix
http://substandardracing.blogspot.com/

I'll shoot you an email. wink

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

We had to give up in the first race.  Car was not good. lost head gasket.  they just dont keep anything for that car at parts stores.  In retrospect, i wish i had popped the head and tried some crazy fix.  but we had a spare car, and we tried to get the engine out of it.  but it wasny coming.  Turns out you cant get a diesel chevette engine out without loosening  or removing the oil pan (wiggle room).  Any ways, second race we grenaded the trans.  spent 2 hours swapping in a spare (this time i brought spare parts, not a spare car)   won IOE.  best weekend i had in a long time

Carbon footprint diesel chevette: IOE Gingerman '11, ClassC winner Autobahn, 13
Isuzu iMark diesel: IOE Gingerman'13
Chrysler Cordoba: Organizers Choice Barber '14

Holy Thread Resurrection Batman!
When you guys were swapping the trans, Phil was egging us on with talk of how we could still win IOE if you stayed out and we kept the Impala on track. When you hit the track again, we knew it was all over. That was a well-deserved IOE.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)

56 (edited by chevette 2012-02-23 08:08 AM)

Thankz.  And you posting that I Mark diesel in the for sale section is about to cost me more money.  I figure it and the chevette side by side at gingerman would be like watching an epic race film......in slow motion

Carbon footprint diesel chevette: IOE Gingerman '11, ClassC winner Autobahn, 13
Isuzu iMark diesel: IOE Gingerman'13
Chrysler Cordoba: Organizers Choice Barber '14

That's why I do it. I'm glad I'm not the only one drawn to these automotive oddities.

how did i miss this thread the 1st time around....................

Clearly I respect speedy's "intenstinal fortitude" in his legendary repairs..........  Many new teams, or teams that take themselves far to seriously throw in the towel with fairly simple repairs...... 

My quick story....I race a well known HORRIBLY unreliable car....lots of issues with ingested rod bearings & an electrical system that could confuse Einstein are a couple "small" issues...

Our 1st race ended about 3 hours short with an ingested rod bearing....we didn't even try to fix it with 3 hours left......didn't have a spare rod bearing and didn't have enough time anyway....no regrets

Our 2nd race the car ran mostly well....except for epic overheating due to a thermostat installed backwards by an nameless idiot (me).....nothing like pouring COLD water into an aluminium engine to pucker yourself (yes the engine still runs)

Our 3rd race started really well......until a 27 year old fuel pump died.....geeze you'd think Hans and Franz can make a better fuel pump than that!!!! 

Lemons is more than a race.....its a weekend of utter chaos....a bunch of like minded idiots hopelessly driving or wrenching on some horrible bucket in hopes of something.....glory....fame...bloody knuckles....nickels....I dunno....whatever floats your teams "boat"......  my goal....the ILLUSIVE "clean" race......all I want is a reliable car with NO PENALITIES...... sounds easy.....in reality EXTREMELY difficult

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

I think our first race taught me to never up.
We barely finished the car at 3am Saturday, drove to Houston
for tech. Blew up the pressure plate taking the car off the
trailer. Pushed the car to tech 4 times, borrowed a stop sign
for a fire wall and fixed the car. We did eventually blow up the
Motor after everyone got a chance to drive on Sunday. At that point we were so
beat we were happy just watching for a while.
My biggest challenge is finding team mates who will stick it out
until Sunday is over. It is a special breed of people!

Good topic Speedy Cop!

Organizer's Choice Houston Yee-Haw Its Lemons 08', DNF Houston Yee-Haw Its Lemons 09'
Ugly Class 3 Winner Houston Gator-o-Rama  10', Ugly Class 3 Winner BFE Colorado 10', Ugly Class 3 Winner Texas World Speedway 12, We got Screwed Winner ECR 14', Barely Finished MSR 14' took a few years off but trying like hell for IOE in 2017!