Re: Wireless Timing & Scoring at Nelson Ledges: UPDATE

computergui wrote:

Hey Pat,

Got your email and we'll get it back to you soon with out thoughts.

Two DHCP servers on the same network could cause issues, but only if client devices received the same IP address.  Multiple DHCP servers on a subnet is a common fault tolerance process.

The real issue here is the 2.4 ghz wireless band.  The AMB system uses the 2.4ghz RFID band to transmit information.  This band is unlicensed and all kinds of devices (wireless, phones, blue tooth, scoring devices, RFID) use this band.   Interference ultimately becomes the biggest challenge.

The standard wireless protocols rely on the 2.4ghz band, including 802.11b, 802.11g, and most 802.11n (2 trunked 802.11g channels).  The primary options are:

A.) Hard code a specific 2.4ghz channel that doesn't create too much noise on the AMB RFID channel.

B.) Use 802.11a, or the 802.11n 5ghz band.

Not sure how excited everyone would be about having to pick up new wireless cards for their laptop devices, but it represents the least risk scenario for interference.

Pat, were putting together some options for you, including perhaps a travel kit with a device that could be set up at each event displaying results.

Let us kick it around a bit more and we'll get back to you.

Thanks, Don. Don't sweat it too much, the MSR-Houston folks aren't getting back to me on this at all and without their cooperation, this isn't going to happen this weekend. They weren't very friendly about race control radio freqs either, I don't know what their deal is down there. It's like their technology is all top secret or something.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.