Re: OTHER crap can races?

RobL wrote:
Serj wrote:

In the history of Lemons, has there been anyone so good as to hide epic-level cheating to such a degree that they took the overall win instead of spending 4 hours in the penalty box, or the curse?

All of them?

psh, i said EPIC-LEVEL cheating. remember we're using Smokey Yunick and the "krider scale" for a gauge at these events.

I mean, Look at you guys, you snuck a 4A-GZE engine past the judges and it did you no good tongue

RobL wrote:
Serj wrote:

In the history of Lemons, has there been anyone so good as to hide epic-level cheating to such a degree that they took the overall win instead of spending 4 hours in the penalty box, or the curse?

All of them?

Well, there was Krider... but Murilee and I didn't judge that one.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

soldmystang wrote:

anyone here planning on racing at Rockingham?  personally i have a greater sense of self preservation.  but i might ride down to watch the carnage.

Same here, I have 2 friends who have balled up cars there in HPDE's and I have close to 30 hours on track there.  You wont see me in the grid.

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

104 (edited by RobL 2009-11-04 06:05 AM)

Serj wrote:

psh, i said EPIC-LEVEL cheating. remember we're using Smokey Yunick and the "krider scale" for a gauge at these events.

I mean, Look at you guys, you snuck a 4A-GZE engine past the judges and it did you no good tongue

We didn't "sneak" the engine past the judges - we weren't up front about it and weren't asked.  And when they did see it and we had to explain its presence not only to the judges but also directly to the man.  It's not like we got away with anything.  Generally, we aren't out to win the thing - we're having fun with cheap track time in a car we don't care if we wad up.  And during the event while the car holds together, we are having a lot of fun in it. 

I'm just saying that the more I see, the more I am convinced that the winners are EPIC-LEVEL cheating ( >$500 over budget).  Not in the power department, but in the reliability one.  In order to win the damn race, you need to be there at the end and I'm sure that every team that has won has looked at the Achilles heel of their car, fixed it, and found a way to hide the fix.  I'm willing to bet that every team that has won has had the engine out of thier car.  And once it's out, what do you think they are doing with it?

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

RobL wrote:

I'm willing to bet that every team that has won has had the engine out of thier car.  And once it's out, what do you think they are doing with it?

We haven't won, nor do we intend to but we do have the engine out of our car so I wanted to answer your question.

I think we're gonna make a coffee table out of it wink

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

JThw8 wrote:

I want to do that so bad with a blown engine...  With matching wheel end tables.  But the wife is on this "I don't want the house to look like a garage too" kick.

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

ecugrad wrote:
soldmystang wrote:

anyone here planning on racing at Rockingham?  personally i have a greater sense of self preservation.  but i might ride down to watch the carnage.

Same here, I have 2 friends who have balled up cars there in HPDE's and I have close to 30 hours on track there.  You wont see me in the grid.

How about specifics? What's wrong with Rockingham?

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Judge Jonny wrote:

I just LOVE this, from ChumpCar:

"Understand first, this is our FIRST time doing all this. Absolute
first. I have never done a vehicle value appraisal before, and neither
had any of the other judges working that night. Also, we have ZERO
past models to go off of. Although many of you would point to it, The
24 Hours of Lemons does not have a system for vehicle value appraisal.
They have openly corrupt judges that hand out penalty laps based on
how much they like the racers, the car, and how much they've been
bribed. Their lap penalty valuations are radically innacurate, unfair,
and biased. AND THAT'S FINE. They admit and promote as much, and it it
part of that series. But, for our purposes, it serves as absolutely no
model at all; we had to figure this out all on our own, with no
guides."

How about this one:

If we see a $500 crap-can come anywhere CLOSE to a lap record set with a fully built race car... well, let's just say that 5-10 black flags later for various unconfirmed oil leaks (accumulating in a loss of 50 laps), I'd submit that this questionable team will be so far out of contention that a fully-built race motor becomes a moot point. Get the picture?

So if they think you are too fast, they are going to throw bogus black flags...

You won't get anywhere close to a lap record on street tires.
Lap records come on slicks, which can be as much as 10 seconds ( or more ) a lap faster than streets on the same car.

The fat Goodyear slicks I ran  were [b]10 seconds[/b} a lap faster than Toyo RA-1's, which are much faster than 190tw+ street tires.

And...We're not running a 'cheater car'.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Well, I've always said that the fast cars in Lemons are akin to some of the slower IT cars, like an ITB/ITC car. 

So at Lemons at NL, the fastest car was an MR2 with a 1:21.6.  ITB record is 1:19.0 and ITC is 1:21.0.  We were only slower than the ITC lap record by 0.6 seconds.  Aren't ITB and ITC fully built race cars with lap records?

111 (edited by Troy 2009-11-04 09:50 AM)

WARNING!!!! This may be a personal record for long posts.

Serj wrote:

Deep within to bowels of our dubious L28 just beyond the flux capacitor lies ... a Quad rotor.  That's why it's fast ... but still blows up.

I would not consider our motor a cheater, let alone an epic-cheater but it has been out twice and is likely to come out a third time.  We did re-ring the 200k+ motor and replaced the bearings.  Putting a bearing in wrong resulted in the second engine removal, oops.

Now we have low compression on a couple of cylinders most likely due to a blown head gasket.  Depending on what we find, the whole motor may come out or just the head.  Since the head gasket is probably screwed due to running hot, the rings may have gotten screwed too. 

The head was never flat to begin with either.  I don't have a machine shop and the one I use does not work for free but they will probably be shaving my head this time for $40.  So I may need to spend up to $150 fixing the motor. 

If I had a car with a small block Ford or Chevy, I'd call PAW for a cheap rebuild kit.  That buys a lot of reliability.  Without that, I still recommend opening up a motor, cleaning things up, Loctiting and re-gasketing the thing.  Re-gasketing alone can help with the leaks which are becoming more frowned upon. 

I think the stacked RX7 went through several tubes of RTV trying to stop the oil pan from leaking.  I am not sure how successful they were but they kept getting black flagged for leaking.  So there are becoming some limits on craptitude. 

So where does a built motor get you?

MurileeMartin wrote:

Smart cheaters (assuming they've already done the most important thing: stacked their team with top-notch drivers who don't get penalties) would build their engines for reliability, not additional power. Have we had contenders who sneaked high-zoot oil pumps, forged pistons, new rings/bearings, and other reliability-enhancing, invisible-to-judges stuff under the budget radar? Probably.

Serj wrote:

As far as i can tell, that answer is a resounding "no". Mostly because the really bad cheaters wind up driving like asshats to get around people in the corners, so get lots of penalty time or the crusher. if they manage to dodge those it's usually because their hot-rodded motor blew up on them.

While our motor may seem impressive, many of our drivers have been less than impressive.  We have had many penalties, a couple of clutches and transmissions too.  As mentioned in the above quotes, good driving is a HUGE factor in winning!!!!

Reliability is your friend:

I have talked to John Condren, Chief Chump, personally about some parts on cars like clutches.  His basic comment is they don't make you any faster so who cares.   Everyone should care, I certainly do.

My car went through 2 clutches in the first 2 races, mostly due to the drivers.  However, cheap hot clutches work about as well as cheat hot brakes, meaning they die. 

A good clutch like Performance Friction or ACT would probably be a huge improvement in my car.  They start around $300.  Fortunately, the clutch in the car now has made it through the last two races and is a generic lifetime warranty clutch so I only had to buy it once during the first race.

A good clutch may not make you faster but it will probably buy you more laps and go undetected.  I know we would have finished better in the first two races.  Since it doesn't make you faster, who cares?  Reliability is worth far more than speed, especially in Enduros.  So everyone should care.  A shiny water pump is worth more than a shiny turbo.

MurileeMartin wrote:

Smart cheaters .....

To counter this, we're breaking out our next BS Inspection innovation: Lie-detector testing!

I don't know how affective a lie detector will be surrounded by racers.  It will just go haywire and blow up faster then an SHO.

The comment about Jonny and Phil being corrupt judges and not providing a good model for Judging is kind of an insult.

Judge Jonny wrote:

I just LOVE this, from ChumpCar:

"Understand first, this is our FIRST time doing all this. Absolute
first. I have never done a vehicle value appraisal before, and neither
had any of the other judges working that night. Also, we have ZERO
past models to go off of. Although many of you would point to it, The
24 Hours of Lemons does not have a system for vehicle value appraisal.
They have openly corrupt judges that hand out penalty laps based on
how much they like the racers, the car, and how much they've been
bribed. Their lap penalty valuations are radically innacurate, unfair,
and biased. AND THAT'S FINE. They admit and promote as much, and it it
part of that series. But, for our purposes, it serves as absolutely no
model at all; we had to figure this out all on our own, with no
guides."  TroubleOnWheels

The Chump forum referenced the 2005 Mini at MSR as a blatant cheater.  The reality is the car has to be destroyed and those guys are in some kind of salvage business.  They probably already made money on the car and were within the $500 rule.

I watched their tech and BS inspection.  While I think they missed the point on their choice of car and did not quite understand the tech stuff (Zip tie mounted kill switch and window net).  They fully understood and probably took notes on Theme and Bribing.  It did them no good and they got 1066 laps, if I recall correctly, which was more or less arbitrary.  I don't think you can overcome a 10 lap penalty at this point.

If you followed the letter of the rules on salvage sales bringing down the car value, you could probably race a very new but wrecked car like the Mini, in Lemons and especially in Chump.  You will get burned in Lemons BS but should pass Chumps tech.

This would be much easier if you could buy wrecked cars directly from the insurance companies.  This is similarly advantageous to having a machine shop. That's where you get into less fact based assessments of BS and why Miatas or Minis get burned a lot in Lemons.

Realistically, there are lots of cheap Miatas and many have upgraded suspension stuff.  Throw in the huge Spec Miata field in SCCA and NASA and there are lots of cheap upgrades.  Miatas are a great platform and receive a lot of scrutiny due to the availability of upgraded parts.  In Chump, I think Miatas will see more lenience.

I know of a Black Widow Miata owner looking forward to Chump and TMS.

So does the Lemons BS inspection provide a more level playing field than Chump's more fact based tech, it's hard to tell.  Once Chump makes assessments due to "intent" or "spirit" of rules or any other subjective matter, you are now in BS Inspection land. 

Penalizing cars like the Volvo based on the assumption of cheating because they have a machine shop is exactly what BS is all about.  Since Jonny and Phil have a weakness for Volvos, they probably would have gotten away with it though.  Chief Chump John felt all cars were 100% legit and all the Volvos machine work was free anyway.  Whiners felt differently.

I gotta get back with my guys at the machine shop about sponsoring us.  Free machine labor for advertising on our future Crap Can rocket could be huge.  My head really only needs about $200-300 in machining to make it bad ass.

While I am involved with Doug @ Awesome Z, everything we did to my car could have been done in my garage and a lot of it was.  Other than putting the flywheel on a brake lathe.  I may be a bit more equipped than the next guy but there are plenty more equipped guys than I am.  A compressor, MIG welder, parts washer and basting equipment can really go a long way when building a car.  Cleaning, inspecting and re-lubing as many parts as you can seriously improves reliability.

Once you get into machining a motor, even if you have the equipment, I think you're over the line and should count it toward your budget. 

If you can buy cars from insurance companies, I think that's cheating too.  Cars should be bought in a public format.

I have lost track of my rambling so much, I hope this makes sense.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

RobL wrote:
JThw8 wrote:

I want to do that so bad with a blown engine...  With matching wheel end tables.  But the wife is on this "I don't want the house to look like a garage too" kick.

My friend has an LT5 coffee table.  I am sure the movers loved him. 

It ain't in the living room at the new house but I think a Fiske wheel is.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

113 (edited by Troy 2009-11-04 09:37 AM)

RobL wrote:

Well, I've always said that the fast cars in Lemons are akin to some of the slower IT cars, like an ITB/ITC car. 

So at Lemons at NL, the fastest car was an MR2 with a 1:21.6.  ITB record is 1:19.0 and ITC is 1:21.0.  We were only slower than the ITC lap record by 0.6 seconds.  Aren't ITB and ITC fully built race cars with lap records?

I ran the 240Z at a Test & Tune for SCCA at TWS a while back.  I was faster than the first gen RX7 guys.

Tires do make a huge difference.  We tried an old set of Azenis and lots 5 seconds a lap.  Slicks are AWESOME!!!!

Spec Miatas run low to mid 1:50s racing at MSR.  Lemons fast laps were around 2:05 but the Integra managed a 1:57.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

jimeditorial wrote:
ecugrad wrote:
soldmystang wrote:

1.  Lots and lots of concrete walls
2.  25° of banking in the turns
3.  Lots and lots of concrete walls
4.  The transition onto and out of the infield sucks/dangerous to noobs racing
5.  Lots and lots of concrete walls
6.  This one hurts personally but the curbs are in the wrong spot and the edges of them are dangerous.  I was involved in the installation of the curbing, there used to be a sign there with my name on it.
7.  Lots and lots of concrete walls

RobL wrote:

The 1:21.6 laptime was not an official lap.  It was timed while driving through paddock.  That lap is listed as a Pit lap(on Mylaps) as was the lap before it.  So technically, the car came down pit road, past the timing loop, and turned into the paddock, and then re-entered at the beginning of pit road, thus driving back over the timing loop on pit road getting credit for a lap, but never driving the 2 mile course.   That was the case for all penalties and anyone who went to paddock.  Basically, anyone who went into paddock, got credit for a lap that never happened.  Could have messed up final results here and there, but if you were in the paddock you had problems anyways.  The lap timer loop should have been before or after where cars enter the paddock, not in between.
As a side note, charlie foxtrot racing had a 1:22.8(I think) laptime that was legit.

Fine 1:22.8 is still only 1.8 second off a record time. 

My general reservation is that black flags will be thown at the organizers whim if they deem a car is "too fast" on track once it has been through tech.

ecugrad wrote:
jimeditorial wrote:
ecugrad wrote:

1.  Lots and lots of concrete walls
2.  25° of banking in the turns
3.  Lots and lots of concrete walls
4.  The transition onto and out of the infield sucks/dangerous to noobs racing
5.  Lots and lots of concrete walls
6.  This one hurts personally but the curbs are in the wrong spot and the edges of them are dangerous.  I was involved in the installation of the curbing, there used to be a sign there with my name on it.
7.  Lots and lots of concrete walls

You mean they run on the oval?...I'd have thought they'd make a tight infield course....no tire walls? With concrete I'd want a HANS which is a little spendy for my level of involvement, i.e. getting racing stuff past my wife....

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

still only 1.8 second off a record time.

Are you saying there are  SCCA/NASA race cars that can only out run their under prepped Lemons brothers by 1.8 seconds?  Bah!

MR2 racer vs. MR2 Lemon?
Spec Miata vs. Miata Lemon?

etc...

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

trekkor wrote:

Are you saying there are  SCCA/NASA race cars that can only out run their under prepped Lemons brothers by 1.8 seconds?  Bah!

No, they're saying that the slowest IT class cars can almost be caught by the fastest Frankensteined Lemons cars.  Not that much of a stretch, really.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

RobL wrote:

I'm willing to bet that every team that has won has had the engine out of thier car.  And once it's out, what do you think they are doing with it?

Not true.  We won the spring race at CMP this year (E30 325e) and the engine was never removed or even opened up.  Besides, the crowd we had wouldn't even begin to know how to remove the engine, and even if they did, they surely couldn't put it back and still have it run!

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

RobL wrote:

My general reservation is that black flags will be thown at the organizers whim if they deem a car is "too fast" on track once it has been through tech.

Yeah, that kind of thing would NEVER happen at a Lemons race.  Hint:  look at the black flag log for the reason "organizer's discretion"... I've seen it, even asked about it, and was told that Jay wanted to make the finish closer!  Not saying it's a bad thing, it makes for good racing and an exciting finish.  Nobody ever said Lemons was fair.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Loren wrote:
trekkor wrote:

No, they're saying that the slowest IT class cars can almost be caught by the fastest Frankensteined Lemons cars.  Not that much of a stretch, really.

Technically what I'm saying is that the record lap times for those classes can almost be caught by the top Lemons cars.

As for Lemons organizers throwning the black flag to make the finish closer - I didn't know and am slightly disheartened by that.

I've seen guys get a "Jay" penalty which was just because they were driving a bit aggressively.

Regarding lap times and Lemons v SCCA or NASA, we are close to them and with comparable tires would be very interesting.  A turbo on a Miata makes way more power than a Spec Miata.  A grippier tire could give a Lemons Miata enough of an advantage of a Spec Miata.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

jimeditorial wrote:

You mean they run on the oval?...I'd have thought they'd make a tight infield course....no tire walls? With concrete I'd want a HANS which is a little spendy for my level of involvement, i.e. getting racing stuff past my wife....

This is how I have always ran it.

http://www.na-motorsports.com/Tracks/NC/images/rockingham/rockingham.gif

Loren wrote:

Yeah, that kind of thing would NEVER happen at a Lemons race.  Hint:  look at the black flag log for the reason "organizer's discretion"... I've seen it, even asked about it, and was told that Jay wanted to make the finish closer!  Not saying it's a bad thing, it makes for good racing and an exciting finish.  Nobody ever said Lemons was fair.

There is no way in hell Jay would order a car black-flagged in order to make the finish closer. Why not? Because that would make even more whiners pester him in the weeks after the race, and he's already got enough of that. I've been there when "organizer's discretion" flags are ordered, and they're for things like delayed reports of pit speeding, track reports that the team skipped out on paying for fuel, evidence that the car is running slicks (yes, you'll get ratted out for that and, yes, we bust cars with slicks every so often), etc.