Re: Chronicles of a Lemons Daytona

The car started big_smile

Sounded pretty too. Tomorrow when we get there I need to fix a leaking water pump (we didn't get the gasket in right), set the timing (need two people), and go over the car with a fine tooth comb to make sure i didn't do anything stupid.

Packing now. So much crap to pack....

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

127 (edited by TheEngineer 2013-07-01 06:30 AM)

I've been slacking hard recently. I have a NH recap written, but not posted. I"ll get to it soon.

for now, I've been cleaning the Mitubishi turbo that I murdered last year so I can turn it into a lamp, and I found some fun things on the compressor wheel.

Look close and you'll see a cracked fin, a crack in the base, and two damaged leading edges on the far fins. Really curious where those pieces went......
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w116/cegan09/turbo%20lamp/20130630_163304.jpg

I suspect we may have been getting some compressor surge.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

New Name!

We're growing tired of the waahmbulance thing. To be honest it was a rubbish theme to begin with. We'll hang onto Team Waahmbulance for the October race just for points purposes (as if that really matters to a team that will never win), and enter with the new name on 2014.

The new name is Futility Motorsport, and will encompass both the Daytona and Charger.

https://www.facebook.com/FutilityMotorsport

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

129 (edited by TheEngineer 2015-06-03 10:52 AM)

This is about 3 months late, but better late than never.

Part 15 - Redemption at Loudon Annoying 2013

This is the third time we've run the Loudon Annoying race, and we've been seeking success since our first failure three years ago. I think I can finally say we've found it. But lets not jump right to the end.

I've long since given up trying to predict how our weekends will go. I just can't tell anymore. This race was even more of an unknown. I fired he engine for the first time Thursday, and only ran it for a total of about a minute. After finding bearing pieces in the engine head while assembling everything I filled it with cheap oil (after cleaning it out as best i could), and said we'd run it for a while Friday to flush it all out and do an oil change Friday night.

I woke up at 4:50am on Friday, finished packing, and waited for dad to show up with the trailer. We got the car loaded, and headed north. Arriving at NHMS we found our garage, unpacked, and set to work finishing the last few things on the car, the largest of which was a poorly sealed water pump with a tiny leak. (my fault, used the crappy gasket that came with the new pump). We also installed the greatest shift light of all time. I’ll get a video up when the car is back together and running, but basically we installed a cheap shift light in the corner of the windshield, but wired in a couple LED strips from Autozone. When you hit 4700rpm the light comes on, but the LED strips start flashing and running up and down. These are attached to the edge of the dash, and there is absolutely no way it can be missed.

By 3 we were through tech with our typical C class zero laps assignment. Judge Phil asked why we're still running this car. I thought he loved terrible cars. The answer is i'm really not right in the head.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/t1.0-9/941454_692328710842_1018525084_n.jpg?oh=70db46895759bd9d026bd0f4e9dcc81c&oe=5600B86E

Flushing out the oil cooler revealed an amazing amount of bearing pieces and metal flake. Looking at the oil drain pan you would have thought we were panning for gold. Exactly why we were running cheap oil and flushing the system. New oil in and the oil cooler re-installed we were ready for a night of goofing off, drooling over the 3 Peddle Mafia Rolls, and GT5 racing.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/21100_692394843312_1000059461_n.jpg?oh=b18ea6693a73e4bd7380aed99c480181&oe=560B2D5D
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/v/t1.0-9/941249_692374588902_1272749064_n.jpg?oh=af2c32b24725cafac9fb92da93d5a091&oe=55F5A37D

Saturday morning came, we installed cameras and radios throughout the car, and waited for the drivers meeting. At 9:30 I climbed in, fired it up the car, pulled into the queue headed to the track, and rolled out to the opening caution laps.  The green flag dropped, I punched the gas, listened to the turbo scream, and off we went. The car was still amazingly terrible, but after this much time i've learned to make it dance. And dance it did. The Pirelli tires were a little more squirrely than the star specs, but suited the car really well. I was actually holding onto cars and not being passed by everything under the sun.

Then, about 3/4 of the way though my stint, disaster. I had just come down the hill, and was mid corner crossing the oval surface when the car just went into a 4 wheel skid. "what the hell was that?!" A glance at the oil pressure gauge told the story. Zero pressure. Something had failed and coated my tires. "EXPLETIVES!!". I killed the car instantly and parked it on the grass, just before the pit out. I got pushed in, jumped out of the car, and discovered one of our oil lines to the oil cooler had ripped out of it's fitting. Awesome. At least i killed it quickly....

A little over an hour later we had all the oil lines rebuilt, the car topped off, and the front bumper area cleaned out. We put the next driver in and sent them on their way. No complaints through their stint, but as they came in for a driver change the front driver's side tire was very clearly flat. "hit something on the last lap, no idea what". Great. Off came the fronts and on went some used star specs.

The rest of Saturday was generally uneventful. We has a minor incident with the boat, knocking our front bumper cover loose, but 5 minutes in the pits sorted it out. The real blow came when mid afternoon we lost a whole bunch of gears. No reverse, no first, no second. What the hell. Well, just run it and make due. To be honest not having those gears wasn't terrible. Burn the clutch a little in the pits, and suffer up the hill, but the rest of the track was fine.

The rain on Saturday just made the car more exciting. It was a giant game of Russian roulette guessing if the tires were going to lock if you tried to go deeper before braking, or if the front would hold trying to go that little bit faster through the corners. In a word, it was fantastic. I've never had so much fun in our car. Not having second just forced you to take the corner into the uphill faster (something a lot of people could learn to do). Amazingly the engine in our car just kept going, and going, and going. Saturday ended and we had turned 168 laps. Not great, but we had spent most of the day on track.

Inspection of the car that night showed that we had lost a c-clip on the transmission linkage and we just weren't able to move the selector shaft in or out. We needed a 7/8" clip, but only had a 3/4". Nothing a pair of pliers and a hammer can't fix. We then discovered something hilarious. When we grabbed the used star specs, we accidentally grabbed two from the same side of the car. So one was on backwards. Amazingly, that didn’t seem to have affected the car’s ability to deal with rain, since we set fastest lap of the day in the middle of the wettest period. With the transmission working and a vacuum leak fixed we enjoyed another night of goofing off.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/v/t1.0-9/945170_692575526222_517159547_n.jpg?oh=16115d81c5f3009df0b8c7447aaa6fea&oe=55FB3FE6

I couldn't have asked for Sunday to go any better. Other than second not liking to go into gear still the car was perfect. It just ran, all day. Water temps never went higher than 200, oil pressure was rock solid, and it just kept running. We upped the driver stint times and plugged ahead and slowly up the standings.

When I came off the track at the start of the race with the blown oil line we were in 35th place. When we went back out we were in ~85th. Over the weekend we fought out way up to 48th overall and finished with 336 laps, shattering out last record of 286 and 68th place.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/308614_692658599742_1640864278_n.jpg?oh=6f07e08b6220c16b280eefd610aa2e37&oe=55FA88BD

I honestly couldn't have asked for a better weekend. I had fast and reliable drivers, a car that somehow held together, and a ton of fun. I was even able to drive the car off the trailer and into the driveway.

So where do we go from here? Well first i'm checking the engine to make sure it's really still rock solid and not just delaying a huge failure. Then, we start getting creative. We're installing a fuel cell to get longer stint times. We're making a wing and splitter, to hopefully get a little more grip and stability. And there is talk of making a wide body just for the hilarity of it. Phil claims we still have a shot at IOE, so we're going for it. The larger goal is C-Class win, but that's going to take a perfect weekend and a car/plan that can do much longer stints than we've been running. Time to make it happen.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

Part 16 - Is the Daytona becoming reliable?

This was just an absolutely epic weekend. I feared it was going to go terribly wrong all of last week, and it turned out to be so absolutely close to being a perfect weekend.

The lead up to the race did not go well. Last sunday while fixing a few little things on the car I found a CV boot almost completely torn, a fuel leak, and a decently serious oil leak. On top of that there was a knock from the top of the engine. Assuming it was just a lifter I ignored that one. I bought an axle to replace the one in the car, stocked up on RTV, and bought some hard line to replace the fuel line with. Thursday I packed everything up and accepted that I'd be working hard on friday.

Friday my Dad and I managed to get to the track by 9:30, and immediately set to work on the car. Axle came out surprisingly easily, and the new one went in with equally little fuss. The rest of my team showed up over the course of the afternoon and we got the fuel line replaced, found the oil leak (dirt on the o-ring of the sandwich plate for the oil cooler), and buttoned up the last little things on the car.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w116/cegan09/Lemons%20halloween%202013/20131025_115544.jpg
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w116/cegan09/Lemons%20halloween%202013/20131025_181548.jpg

The ride to tech introduced a new issue, terrifying brakes. We got through tech (C-class zero laps as always) and set to work on the brakes. With the car on, pedal goes to the floor very very easily. With it off, or the vacuum off it's better, but still can be pushed 70% down without terrible effort. We bled the system, no change. Finally decided it was worth replacing the master cylinder since there was a re-manufactured one in Manchester for $20. After a fantastic meal put on by 3 Pedal Mafia we set to work swapping the master. Finished that and absolutely no change. Finally we said it was too late to still be poking at it, the car does stop so just brake early.

Saturday morning I strapped in and joined the circling cars waiting for the green. The brakes worked better with the car moving faster than 10/15mph in the pits. So I stayed out and put the hammer down with the drop of the green flag. By now I know the car fairly well, and when everything is working it's actually fun (in a sick twisted kind of way) to drive. I was actually out dragging cars up the hill, and I had a great time trying to hold off the boat during my stint (the boat won. Traffic let him catch up and get around me with ease).

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w116/cegan09/Lemons%20halloween%202013/20131027_124445_RichtoneHDR.jpg

The only issue really present was that second was proving hard to get into. You had to pull the shifter into second, hold and wait 2-3 seconds, and then it would engage. I thought nothing of it and assumed our cables had come loose, or knocked out of adjustment. So we just kept circulating drivers to keep the lap count going up. Finally, within the last 2 hours of the race we got black flagged for passing under yellow (coming into a yellow section, there was some confusion with another car that had passed someone, then backed off again). In HQ we noticed a rather alarming amount of oil coming out of the car. Turns out our oil pressure sender decided to no longer hold back the oil, and was leaking badly. We were only down a 1/2 quart, so thank you Lemons HQ, we owe you one for that black flag.

Saturday night we checked a few things on the car, then set up GT5 and set about enjoying ourselves. As the night moved on we broke out the box of 400 glow sticks and headed over to the "rave" that was going on. An absolutely awesome way to end the night. However the free alcohol did me no favors, and I think i may have consumed just a little too much....

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w116/cegan09/Lemons%20halloween%202013/20131026_194152.jpg
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w116/cegan09/Lemons%20halloween%202013/20131026_203047.jpg

Sunday we put the car out, and it seemed our shifting issues got worse overnight. 4th would now not want to go in on occasion. I ended my stint 10 minutes early to look at it. nothing obvious in the shifting linkage, so we changed the cable adjustment to try and help and sent drivers back out. Adjusting the cables didn't help, so we just resigned ourselves to not having second. The car kept going and going, and when two of my drivers turned down their stints (something in an eye, and the other was just mentally cooked from the weekend) I asked if the driver in the car and my dad were ok running double stints. They said yes so we went with that to try and minimize in pit time.

at 4:30 the checked dropped with 347 laps next to our name, which is a new record for the daytona. The car is still running strong, though I suspect some of our engine anti-rotation mounts may have loosened up over the weekend. And I think our clutch is due for replacement after this race. But I could not have asked for more from the car this weekend, and all my drivers did an amazing job. And I think I have an official "lucky" shirt for Lemons weekends now. I started wearing it a year ago at Loudon Annoying, the first time we saw a checked flag. And we just do better and better each race. I will put this shirt away and use it only for Lemons from now on.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w116/cegan09/Lemons%20halloween%202013/IMG_20131027_193847_162-1.jpg

So, now it's time to concentrate on actually competing instead of just turning laps. We need a larger gas tank, so I think we're putting a fuel cell in. We need to spend more time out of the pits for things like driver changes. So next race I'm moving to 2 hour stints instead of the 1 we do now. With the fuel cell and different caps on our fuel jugs we should be able to drop our fuel stop times a lot. If the tear down of this engine goes well I'll be comfortable turning the boost up to about 10psi from the 6/7 we run now. In short, we are hands down ready to DOMINATE!

Thank you to everyone at NH this weekend. Old friends and new alike. We always appreciate the help we get, and we love that our engine hoist has been used more times by other teams than us in the past year. See you all at the next one.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w116/cegan09/Lemons%20halloween%202013/IMG_20131027_210501_217.jpg

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

I was out in the boat from 2-4:30 on Sunday, and had some fun battling with the Daytona, especially early in the shift.  It's so great to see it out there running more often than not, after all of the sadness of the first few races!

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

You were probably battling with Ben at the beginning. He's got a pretty good handle on the car. Dad went out at around 2:40 to bring it to the checkered.

congrats to you guys on the IOE for the Rolls. And I still love seeing the boat out there. Every time i see it come up in my rear-view mirror I just have to laugh because it's so fantastic.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

It was great to meet you in person and to see the car on track mostly all weekend.  Good job, now on to WORLD DOMINATION.  smile

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

racinrob wrote:

It was great to meet you in person and to see the car on track mostly all weekend.  Good job, now on to WORLD DOMINATION.  smile

Great to meet you too. And I look forward to some competition in the future. I know we're similarly paced, so I just need to match your stints and fueling times. Next year is going to be fun big_smile

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

Part 17 - A dash of hubris
I had high hopes for this race. After October when we came so damn close to a perfect weekend I think i let a little bit of hubris set in. I didn't start prepping the car until a couple weeks before the race, and even then, the engine went in on wednesday. Once it was running we found leaking oil cooler lines, so we didn't run the car at all. That should have been a sign.

Thursday - travel day.
I threw the last things in the truck, and set off to meet my dad and sister for the drive down. We made a detour to stop at Driving Impressions in Dover NJ to pick up a new set of belts for the car. NJ doesn't allow SFI belts more than 2 years old when everyone else allows 5.... but so be it. I finally got to meet robert, and he gave us a tour of the shop, even letting my sit in his Lancia Delta.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-s3e4nMoIRKY/U21JqrP37wI/AAAAAAAAHW4/56muaaSQxUo/w702-h395-no/20140508_141700.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-fPEsVtv3zoQ/U21JteahkOI/AAAAAAAAHXE/w36u34yMZCk/w702-h395-no/20140508_141803.jpg

By 5 we arrived at the track, only to find us being held at the gate until 6:30. A non-issue really when the track has an on site pub. Once we were allowed to drive in we set up the Futility Motorsport Shanty Town, fixed a few things on the car, and called it a night.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-rCbiAC_-ZtM/U21PU0ZtyWI/AAAAAAAAHX8/dpumu2FAXCI/w440-h587-no/FB_IMG_13995964320589479.jpg

Friday - beginning of the bad luck.
After ripping out my old harness we discovered that the new one was a pull up design, not put down (which doesn't work with our seat and where the mounting points are.) and also had 2" shoulder belts instead of the required 3". We were told it was 3" pull down when we bought it and never thought to check. Hooray... Thankfully Lemons people are awesome and after talking to some friends I had my hands on a Scroth FIA certified belt that is good until 2016. Unfortunately by the time that was done and all the other things were fixed on the car it was almost 2pm and not worth it to sign up for the test day. So we filled our time and eventually called it a night.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-WDfvdNTZ0Qk/U21PZYw0jgI/AAAAAAAAHYI/zGuecaJzQHg/w440-h587-no/FB_IMG_13996560859013343.jpg

Saturday - race day.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-3Um8xn-VJwM/U3DuDot8PPI/AAAAAAAAHZI/ovJ29XNOEME/w702-h395-no/20140510_080921.jpg

I've said that the first time I suited up and strapped into this car I felt real fear. That fear doesn't go away. Sitting on the pre-staging grid, and then lapping under yellow my stomach is always in knots. Thankfully my fear has moved from "oh my god what am I doing I could get killed" to "oh my god what could go wrong this time." But as soon as the green drops, all that goes away and you're just enveloped in the insanity of racing. At least a 150 cars all seeing the green flag at once, it's mayhem. My first 5 laps were awesome. I was passing people. I lapped someone! The car was down on boost, but it was surprisingly quick around the more gentle corners of NJ. I was loving it. Right up until I looked at the water temperature gauge.

225 degrees. What the hell? In October the car sat rock solid at 190 all weekend. What was going on. I backed off immediately. 4th gear, half throttle, cool the damn thing down. After probably 3 laps I had it to 205. Another 2 and it was at 195. Nothing I could do about it now, any time in the pits is time lost. So I settled in for 2 hours of slower lapping trying to keep the car cool.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-B77X3uAh4UA/U3D3IlxWZHI/AAAAAAAAHao/qJDBvLVvZUk/w702-h468-no/IMG_9048.JPG

Next in the car was my sister, who has a grand total of about an hour's worth of driving time on a track, and absolutely zero seat time in the daytona. During the mayhem of refueling and swapping drivers I shouted some instructions about keeping it cool and sticking to the left side of the track as to not hold up faster cars. Oh, and third is being a little funny, make sure it clicks in before letting the clutch out. Off she went. 20 minutes in I checked to make sure the water temps were ok, they were. An hour in:
"how are you doing?"
"the car is fine"
"No, are you doing ok?"
"I'm fine"

She's never done this before and she was already running a stint longer than I had for the first two years racing the car. Two hours later we lined up with fuel jugs and the next driver and she came in. But the passenger door won't open. After Dad is in the car and we're back in the shanty town pulling gear off I mentioned the door.
"oh, yea, someone bumped me a little bit."
"Did you get black flagged?"
"No, I was looking, but I never saw my number."
"Lets go check just to be safe."
Turns out there was a flag called on her, but it was for 4 wheels off, which she claims didn't happen, but it's best not to argue with the judges. We settled our debts to Lemons HQ and continued on.

I started thinking about the cooling issue. Turns out the local parts store could get me a new larger radiator by 5pm so we said lets do it. We were so focused on cooling that I missed a warning sign on the car when we swapped Dad for Ben at 4pm. Just before he set off from the hot pits I noticed the selector cable had popped off the gear lever. I dove through the passenger window, snapped it back on and sent him on his way. I should have been more curious.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/--hSPQdkvCiI/U3DuGAJqK1I/AAAAAAAAHZU/AaozB4s2OQs/w702-h395-no/20140510_183759.jpg

That night we set about installing the new radiator, moving the intercooler, changing spark plugs, and fixing the door. My sister pounded the door into shape with a hammer after we pulled it off, thereby rectifying her slight contact incident. And later that night as a rave was running in the middle of the pits and my 500 glow sticks were starting to spread their way through the hundreds of people we buttoned up the car and called it a night.

Sunday - Frustration day.
Everything started off ok. The car was better, it still was getting warm, but by coasting the second half of the straight you could keep the temps at 210 or lower. Finally I was getting to thrash the car a little. Coming out of the chicane after putting more than 50 yards on a BMW 2002 who couldn't keep up I was giggling like a child. (Oh course he caught me very quickly on the straights where I had nothing.) Finally, 20 minutes before My stint was supposed to be over we came to a stop for a yellow, and the shifter linkage popped off again. I grabbed the cable, got it in first, pulled to the side and stalled it like a pro. I tried to restart it but the whole car just lost power. No electricity to anything. "What the actual hell just happened?!"

After an embarrassing tow in power magically came back, I found the shift cable end bent so I fixed it and put it back on, and we sent my sister back out. Everything seemed fine until my dad called in mid afternoon with "No gear shift, I'm getting towed." I expected the cable to have just popped off again. Instead it was attached, but the linkage on the transmission wouldn't move, at all. After almost an hour we found the selector cable had once again melted and killed itself. As soon as I pulled it off the transmission linkage I was able to click it into third, and we sent our last driver out to finish the day and keep us from plummeting in the standings.

We got black flagged on the second to last lap (we still don't know why, sheets were gone before we could get over there), but the car made it to the end. This was far from our best race, but amazingly it is the longest distance we've driven in a single race. We finished with ~275 laps (I need to confirm that), which puts us at over 600 miles of racing. Final position was 74th, which is right at the middle of the pack.

Moving forward
I still think we might have a shot at C-Class win. maybe. And I really want to go for that. I have no idea if we have any prayer at IOE anymore, I think 8 races with the car might have moved us out of the running. But C-Class win might be possible. The engine seems to finally be sorted. It isn't leaking oil, and it's running well (other than some weird stumbling during partial throttle that I think is electrical based). We need to solve the shift issue (heat shield the cable), get the car to boost above 5psi again, and install a fuel cell so that we can run at least 3 hour stints. I'm also going to upgrade the brakes. The RX7 in my driveway has 4-pot brakes, which I think i'm going to try and adapt to the daytona. Lets see where that gets us in october.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-NTjwDSEDDTI/U3D33SZ7eeI/AAAAAAAAHa8/LoMVbB56jL8/w702-h468-no/IMG_9215.JPG

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

136 (edited by TheEngineer 2015-06-03 10:57 AM)

Part 18 - Vindication

After NJ we had a team discussion about what we wanted to work towards with the daytona. Racing is fun, but we needed a goal. We figured that C-Class win wasn't that absurd a goal, so why not. From the past races we knew our pace could be quick enough, but we spend too much time in the pits. So how do you correct that? We settled on adding a fuel cell, and going for marathon stints. The Halloween races run 7 hours on saturday and 7.5 hours on Sunday. Adding a 22 gallon fuel cell should allow us to run roughly 4 hours. So we settled on one stop a day, with a 4 driver team. Now to execute.

We ordered an ATL 22 gallon cell, a walbro external pump, and a fuel pickup system from Liquid Iron Industries and got to work. The sunday before the race the engine went back in after it's usual rebuild and fired up. Wednesday before the race we set to work installing the fuel cell. 5 hours of cutting, grinding, and welding later and everything seemed to be together.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-OqSOI6b5sH4/VE17XupraqI/AAAAAAAALgA/If6pscSnMzg/w440-h587-no/IMG_20141024_142418.jpg

Friday we arrived at the track, and set to work on the last minute details to finish the car. Like finalizing the fuel connections, wiring in the new ignition setup after pulling everything off the steering column, changing out the break-in cheap oil, swapping brake pads, etc. But most importantly we added the latest decoration to the hood of the car. A brilliant mural donated by a friend.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-0ZkXTPP5flU/VE17TDkjz3I/AAAAAAAALfo/SijDejysG20/w702-h395-no/20141024_140452.jpg

C-class and zero laps as usual we occupied ourselves for the rest of the night and tried to catch some sleep. Saturday morning I strapped in for my traditional opening stint, and prepared for 3.5 hours of glorious daytona racing. I did my best to push while staying out of everyone's way. I had a few awesome laps chasing various cars, but eventually noticed the temps creeping up towards 210. So I spent the second half of my stint running hard for a few laps, and then taking a slower lap to bring the temps down, then repeat.

At 1:20 I brought the car in after 95 laps, dropped 17 gallons into the cell, and sent Ben out to finish the day. Walking back to the garage someone exclaimed "you were on the board!" referring to the leader board tower in the infield. "Really?" "Yea, you were up to 36th!". I couldn't believe it, but race monitor confirmed, we had been running that high. The joys of iron man stints. Fueling had dropped us to 56th thanks to the 10 minute stop, but our fastest driver was in the car and making up time.

Over the second 3.5 hours of the day Ben slowly climbed the standings. He got called in twice for mechanical issues. First was our exhaust jumping off a hanger, second was the result of some minor contact that knocked the front bumper off on one side. Each time we managed to fix the damage in a few minutes and send him on his way. The third time Ben came in was a self report for 4 off avoiding another car. At the end of the day Ben crossed the finish line in 45th overall, 3rd in class with only 5 laps separating us from the class leading Boat of Three Pedal Mafia.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10404422_488856841256218_2705916680159275479_n.jpg?oh=d0c579122989cccecfb56583912530dc&oe=55E86E40

With very little to do to the car we enjoyed saturday night and again attempted to get some sleep. Sunday morning We strapped Dad into the car, and sent him on his way. The Iron man strategy again paid off as Dad slowly climbed the standings, eventually landing in 37th. Following some self reporting stops from the Dirty Penny team we grabbed second place. After a driver change from Three Pedal Mafia we were 2 laps down on the class leading boat, a challenge that did not go unnoticed.  Our one fuel stop and their 2 looked like we were going to end up with 1 or less than 1 laps separating us by the end of the day.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-b8c6HM3s9jw/VE19c59lAEI/AAAAAAAALnQ/TktLcAWDbUE/w330-h587-no/20141026_100016.jpg

Finally, about an hour before the end of his stint Dad called in with "the car is developing some new shakes and bucking". I just figured the normal bucking that the car has was getting worse and told him to keep going. 20 seconds later "Lost oil pressure, shutting it down". Oh great. Then "actually all electrical is dead." Ok, well that's maybe better than oil loss. With the car in the garage we quickly located the completely melted negative cable end on the battery. Not 3 minutes into searching for the short a small group of people from Three Pedal Mafia and Sorry for Party Racing showed up offering to help. Truly class act people.

We finally found the starter wires melted and shorting to the engine block. (Thanks chrysler for putting the starter right under the turbo.) So we cut the starter wires, taped them off, rebuilt the negative cable, and push started the car.  We refueled, threw our last driver in, and sent him on his way to rescue us from the now 68th place we had dropped to.

After a few initial hickups (minor contact, and two wheels off), our last driver ran a clean fast last half of the day, eventually climbing to 57th, before being knocked to 59th by some B and A class cars passing and finishing on the same lap. We ended up 4th in class after the Cortina was forced to retire after literally driving the wheels off the car. At the checkered flag we registered 399 laps, one shy of the elusive 400 club. Though mylaps shows us with 400, so i'm not sure which is correct.

We wandered to the awards ceremony, slightly disappointed to not be close to the top of C-Class, but happy none the less with surviving the weekend. When IOE was being announced I couldn't believe I was hearing a description of my team being announced. 3 years, 9 races (on the daytona, I have 10 including my run with Spank), 3213 race miles, a very long road leading to our Lifetime Lack of Achievement award.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ghlbV1yhQSY/VE2BR-zR1iI/AAAAAAAALqo/r4P-68pRCh0/w702-h395-no/20141026_191824.jpg
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-svPQ36Xlnuc/VE2Ann2BNdI/AAAAAAAALqE/CFl57WW6rMQ/w330-h587-no/20141026_191532.jpg

I'm still blown away that we finally won. It makes all the hard work and struggling more worth it. But we're not done with the car. We still need that class win. Lets see what 2015 holds.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

Congrats, and thanks for streaming the video. It looked great.

m610 wrote:

Congrats, and thanks for streaming the video. It looked great.

I'm glad it was working. I try to put it up at every race I go to, and make a point to record the awards ceremony so that others can watch it.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

The Boat wins C and you win IOE.  I picked the wrong time to not go to Loudon, or maybe the right time for The Boat.  smile   Good job on the IOE and get that class C win next year!

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

The Daytona was in the IOE discussion every time it got to the top three-quarters of the standings, but always got beat out by some Rover or something. This time there was no doubt that it earned the prize.

Oh Yay, I'm so happy for you!

Super Congrats!

Heck yeah, congratulations!

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

Well done guys (and girl)!

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Judge Phil wrote:

The Daytona was in the IOE discussion every time it got to the top three-quarters of the standings, but always got beat out by some Rover or something. This time there was no doubt that it earned the prize.

I've never had an argument about the other cars that won, they all deserved it. It was kind of poetic to win it this weekend since it was my 10th race (9th in the daytona).

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

Congrats! There's no feeling quite like when Jay starts describing a car that sounds like yours.

Planet Express
"IOE" "C Win" 4834.701 Race Miles and counting
Toyocedes
"Least Southern Pickup Truck" "IOE" "C win" "C win (again?)"

FPRbuzz wrote:

Congrats! There's no feeling quite like when Jay starts describing a car that sounds like yours.

No, there are two feelings. Because when they were introducing the "I got screwed" it sounded like us a bit as well, and I really really didn't want a third one of those. Was a much better feeling to hear us being called for IOE.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

Nicely done Chris, well deserved to you and the FMS crew!

Blackmaven MotorSports -  Supporting the United Leukodystrophy Foundation - www.ulf.org
FOR SALE! '68 Ford Cortina - BUY ME HERE!
'04 Mitsu in the works
BlackmavenMotorsports on Facebook

racinrob wrote:

The Boat wins C and you win IOE.  I picked the wrong time to not go to Loudon, or maybe the right time for The Boat.  smile   Good job on the IOE and get that class C win next year!

What we need is a 3-way drag to the finish line for C - Daytona, Cortina and the Brickhouse.... I'm thinking Thompson in August!

Blackmaven MotorSports -  Supporting the United Leukodystrophy Foundation - www.ulf.org
'04 Mitsu in the works

WarpdSpazm wrote:
racinrob wrote:

What we need is a 3-way drag to the finish line for C - Daytona, Cortina and the Brickhouse.... I'm thinking Thompson in August!

Seems far away. How about NJ. It's about time we played with more boost. I know that at around 8-9psi I stay ahead of the brickhouse on the straights.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

Well She will definitely be at Thompson as ULF (the charity I run for) is the official charity of the race. The Cortina is questionable for the May race as of right now, but surely, the first time we are all at the track it's on.

'04 Mitsu in the works