Re: The newest Speedycop & the Gang Lemons car: Hint, it did 220 MPH new!

I edited the original post of this thread, because what sounded good in my migraine-suffering head in the middle of the night last week sounded boastful and judgemental when rereading it now. I am quite proud of my team's accomplishments, but it came out all wrong. My apologies to my many E30 and Miata-driving Lemons friends. If I offended you with my comments, I am sorry. You guys shouldn't be knocked for racing sporty cars in a race. After all, that's the smartest way to actually be competitive.

Chad, it should be coming home on Thursday afternoon, once the wings get removed.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Speedycop wrote:

once the wings get removed.

Thats not something you read on here everyday

Carbon footprint diesel chevette: IOE Gingerman '11, ClassC winner Autobahn, 13
Isuzu iMark diesel: IOE Gingerman'13
Chrysler Cordoba: Organizers Choice Barber '14

surely the wings can be used to offset the cost of the build.

someone has to need a gigantic rear wing smile

54 (edited by Speedycop 2012-08-06 11:56 AM)

We may have to cut them up to use for the build, to hide the wheels of the donor chassis, like on a C130:
http://www.houstonspotters.net/images/HomePage/C-130J_99-5309_Lightning_thumb.jpg

We also need to make a tail section of sorts...

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)

oh, i like the C130 idea for hiding the drivetrain.

can i ask what happened to the original tailsection?

Dunno. Same with the engines.

As a professional pilot and a fond admirer of the Cessna 300 series light twins, I quietly shed a tear into my beer at the sight of the instrument panel, in all of its originality, in such neglect.

Why could the have not left an old Piper Apache in the bushes to rot? They spent most of their lifespan on the ground anyway, or getting repaired in a hangar wink

Seriously though, I can't wait to see what you do to that old workhorse. Good luck!

Yeah; I like Fieros! Sue me!
Salty Thunder Racing
#90 1985 Pontiac Fiero Sport
#63 1988 Pontiac Fiero Coupe

It looks like some Cessna 310 parts are worth selling. For example, this landing gear motor went for $384.99. This tach sold for $155. This transponder fetched 400 bucks.

Sweet! I'ma be Oprah rich!!!

Judge Phil wrote:

It looks like some Cessna 310 parts are worth selling. For example, this landing gear motor went for $384.99. This tach sold for $155. This transponder fetched 400 bucks.

i might be wrong on the avionics stuff. but i found that there's a giant gap in aircraft related pricing on stuff if it does or does not have a 100% traceable history. as soon as someone that isn't certified touches any of it the price drops by 90%

Marc wrote:
Judge Phil wrote:

i might be wrong on the avionics stuff. but i found that there's a giant gap in aircraft related pricing on stuff if it does or does not have a 100% traceable history. as soon as someone that isn't certified touches any of it the price drops by 90%

Yea most of the price is in verifiable paperwork. Without the paperwork you can't really install the stuff in a working plane without lots of hassle or not at all.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Damn. I'ma stay broke. sad

What kind of nanny-state, safety-obsessed mindset is at work in American aviation? Lemons needs to put on a race for $2500 aircraft, in South Sudan. They don't care about paperwork for airplane parts there!

as long as you're flying in the experimental class you don't need tracable parts.

there's more to it than that, but the FAA has a class of planes allowed that i could put together with shit i have in my garage and legaly fly in a Lemons air race.

Judge Phil wrote:

What kind of nanny-state, safety-obsessed mindset is at work in American aviation? Lemons needs to put on a race for $2500 aircraft, in South Sudan. They don't care about paperwork for airplane parts there!

details? rules? website?

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

66 (edited by stimpyvan 2012-08-07 09:26 AM)

Did the airplane come with a Log Book or any paperwork at all?  If you received paperwork with the aircraft that details any instrument replacement (Part # & Serial #), that's all the traceability you need.  There is also the slim possibility that some or all of the instruments have labels with the name of the last repair station to work on them (& maybe a work order number).  If you contact them, they may be able to provide traceability (this is pretty unlikely though.  Repair stations are only required to keep paperwork for 2 years).

I noticed in the picture that your 3-in-1 gauges (top right of the panel) appear to be different vintages.  The one on the right looks like a newer generation and may be worth some $.

Something else I just thought of and this isn't likely to make you happy.  Do any of the gauges glow in the dark?  If you can get your hands on a geiger counter, wave it around in front of the panel.  We used to get instruments with radium dials all the time.  If any of those do have radium dials, whatever you do, don't open them.

13X losers (or is 14 now?) refusing to learn from our failures.
Organizer's Choice!  Trophy should have a bottle opener on it.

Marc wrote:

as long as you're flying in the experimental class you don't need tracable parts.

there's more to it than that, but the FAA has a class of planes allowed that i could put together with shit i have in my garage and legaly fly in a Lemons air race.

Ohhh yea, Experimental. 10 years of flying and I've never more than just seen parked across the tarmac an experimental plane. I always forget about them. But the parts are still of less value by a good amount. That's why experimentals are cheaper to run and build.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Every other plane I looked at was missing doors, front cowl (single engined), and had plenty of body damage, all in the same price range. For two grand, this one is a real beauty. If I can't get top dollar for unnecessary parts due to the lack of records, so be it. Won't stop me from trying to recoup something, though. Anybody calling dibs on anything not on the main panel?

Speedycop wrote:

Every other plane I looked at was missing doors, front cowl (single engined), and had plenty of body damage, all in the same price range. For two grand, this one is a real beauty. If I can't get top dollar for unnecessary parts due to the lack of records, so be it. Won't stop me from trying to recoup something, though. Anybody calling dibs on anything not on the main panel?

i could certainly use the dual sticky throttles for the turbine car.

looked back at the picture, looks like 6 sticky throttles, not sure why but i can rework the unit a bit to make it what i need

i'd also like to claim any instrument you don't end up using in your final build. seems appropriate for the car i'm building smile

You might have to fight a couple of my teammates for instruments, but right now I don't plan on yanking any anyway.

Speedycop wrote:

You might have to fight a couple of my teammates for instruments, but right now I don't plan on yanking any anyway.

i totally understand. but can i claim the throttles?

IF they get yanked, and none of the core team *really* wants them, you have dibs.

Speedycop wrote:

IF they get yanked, and none of the core team *really* wants them, you have dibs.

awesome.

I'll even pay in some custom machined widget that you'll likely need for this build if you want smile just tell me what you need

It's not that they need a completely traceable logbook history. That's only for the airframe and the powerplants. But you can't use parts in an aircraft that aren't TSO certified or have that super special government approval number on them. The exceptions being an experimental catagory airplane or one in Sudan.

That being said, it looks from the photograph that anything that could've been salvaged, has been salvaged like 20 years ago, and they left the panel intact because those types of instruments and radios became obsolete in the 60s.

But not all is lost. You don't need to worry getting an airworthiness certificate for it and the rest is open to your imagination.

My imagination is telling me this Cessna needs to partner up with a Plymouth/Chrysler Prowler Chassis and go for some open wheel racing.

Yeah; I like Fieros! Sue me!
Salty Thunder Racing
#90 1985 Pontiac Fiero Sport
#63 1988 Pontiac Fiero Coupe