Re: 5 Gal Gas Can Mods for Fueling

Troy wrote:

You guys make this way more difficult that it need to be.

I like Pit Posse Jugs.

http://pitposse.com/po5gautju.html

Slip a hose over the male threaded vent, clamp it and run the tube down the size. Poof... vented and spill resistant. I don't want gas on my gloves.

Add a big of a hose as you can and your in good shape.

No need to drill holes or do other crazy stuff to the jug.

Sorry I don't have pics.

VP jugs are okay too but I really like the dual handles on the Pit Posse jugs.

Okay. I must have been auto-lobotomized in my sleep because I cannot see exactly how you are doing this.

The vent question: how are you getting one hose both over the male vent AND down into the interior of the jug, to the bottom of the jug, in order to vent the area of the interior that will be  expanding as fuel is emptied from the inverted jug during refueling? The vent system (however it is set up) must allow air to quickly get to the top of the inverted jug, lest the negative pressure from the emptying fuel slow it's expansion, right?

Also: the pit posse jugs come with caps that are threaded for 3/4" hose adapter. My car has a filler neck that is 1.25" ID so I would like to use a filler hose on the jug that is as close to 1.25" OD as possible, seeing that pouiselle tells us that radius is very important for fluid flow rates in cylinders. The pit posse filler hoses also use a threaded spout and cap that is 1/2", I believe. This is a huge restriction, is it not? How did you modify your pit posse jugs to accommodate a larger diameter filler hose?

Head of Estate
/) come monday motorsports /)

Kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

Our vent hoses, do not go inside the jug. They are run down the outside and they work fine. We have a couple of Hunsakers too. With the same size pour hose, our regular utility jugs pour about the same rate as the Hunsakers. Air is about 1/700th the density of gasoline so you don't need a huge vent. By running a vent line down the outside of the jug, it not only allows the jug to vent while tipped up, it also prevents most spilling out of the vent.

Pit Posse (EZ Pour), VP, Scribner and about every other "utility jug' manufacturer use very similar lids. I have only seen lids with a 3/4" fitting. It is easy to find a 1" ID hose fitting with 3/4" threads. The 1" id hose has about a 1 1/8" OD which fills most of the filler.

I have talked to Scribner, VP and EZ Pour (the maker of the jugs Pit Posse sells) about offering a lid for a larger hose. They would have to make a new mold for the cap which is very expensive so it ain't gonna happen.

Here's some math to consider. Look at the area of the hoses:

3/4" hose     = .452 sq in
1" hose        = .785
1 1/8" hose = .994
1 1/4" hose =  1.227
1 1/2" hose = 1.767
2" hose       = 3.146

So simply going from a 3/4" to a 1" hose is a 77% increase hose volume which results in a lot more flow. When you get into the larger hoses, my local Lowes has 1 1/2" and 2" hose. Hunsakers first large tier on the center neck is 2 1/4" which is not a common hose size I could find. I was able to expand some 2" hose to fit over it.

I personally have 2 VP jugs, 2 Hunsakers and 6 Pit Posse jugs. The Hunsakers are pricey and in my opinion over rated. They are pretty easy to pour but they suck to carry around. The VP are easy to carry with their top handle but not so great for pouring. I like the dual handles on the Pit Posse (EZ Pour). The Pit Posse jugs are a little taller than others with a smaller foot print. So they have the potential to be easier to tip over but I have never had a problem. When Tetanus and I teamed up and ran 2 cars at Road America, I bought 3 more Pit Posse (EZ Pour) jugs getting me to 6 and a utility wagon for a pit cart. All 6 fit in the wagon with room to spare. We could not have done that with other jugs.

I will try and post some pictures later.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy wrote:

Our vent hoses, do not go inside the jug. They are run down the outside and they work fine. We have a couple of Hunsakers too. With the same size pour hose, our regular utility jugs pour about the same rate as the Hunsakers. Air is about 1/700th the density of gasoline so you don't need a huge vent. By running a vent line down the outside of the jug, it not only allows the jug to vent while tipped up, it also prevents most spilling out of the vent.

What diameter hose did you use for the vent on the Pit Posse jug?

Bacon, oh bacon
Bacon, bacon, oh bacon
Love in five letters

mhrir wrote:
Troy wrote:

I took the threaded cap plug that come with the Pit Posse jugs and inserted it into the cap. Then I drilled out the hole to 1 1/8" using a keyhole bit. Then I dremeled a pair of circumferential grooves that replicate a hose bib fitting in the inner diameter of the new 1 1/8" hole. I shoved 1 1/4" OD hose into this hole, using pipe sealant goop. Took a zip tie and wrapped it tight around about 1/4" of hose that goes into the inside of the cap. It is in very tight and will not pull out or leak so it seems to work well. The filler neck in the Landshark is the perfect fit.

As for the vent I made a Lowes pseudo-bulkhead fitting from a 3/4" threaded elbow that is made from gray (electrical) PVC. This got inserted into the bottom of the jug, and a 3/4" ID hose that came up to just even with the cap was attached and zip tied to the top handle.

Empties in 24 seconds.

Head of Estate

doctordel wrote:
mhrir wrote:
Troy wrote:

I took the threaded cap plug that come with the Pit Posse jugs and inserted it into the cap. Then I drilled out the hole to 1 1/8" using a keyhole bit. Then I dremeled a pair of circumferential grooves that replicate a hose bib fitting in the inner diameter of the new 1 1/8" hole. I shoved 1 1/4" OD hose into this hole, using pipe sealant goop. Took a zip tie and wrapped it tight around about 1/4" of hose that goes into the inside of the cap. It is in very tight and will not pull out or leak so it seems to work well. The filler neck in the Landshark is the perfect fit.

As for the vent I made a Lowes pseudo-bulkhead fitting from a 3/4" threaded elbow that is made from gray (electrical) PVC. This got inserted into the bottom of the jug, and a 3/4" ID hose that came up to just even with the cap was attached and zip tied to the top handle.

Empties in 24 seconds.

I am having difficulty picturing this... You drilled a 1.125" hole in the cap. Through the hole you inserted the 1.25" hose and secured it with a zip tie. Is that correct?

Bacon, oh bacon
Bacon, bacon, oh bacon
Love in five letters

31 (edited by rodknox2 2012-09-17 02:47 PM)

This our no goop/no leak/no valve just teflon tape set up...17 or so sec...the cap has been retapped 1" pipe thread and metal 1" fittings have a larger id than the plastic ones.  We drilled out the original vent to 1/2" and plugged it. The bottom vent is a 1/2" bulkhead fitting. This one fits our stock filler pipe.  Dis ain't rocket surgery.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8175/7997113395_65b3051130.jpg
P9170153 by rodknox2, on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8320/7997119206_909206b4c7.jpg
P9170150 by rodknox2, on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8439/7997119008_88617d83ec.jpg
P9170152 by rodknox2, on Flickr

rodknox2 wrote:

This our no goop/no leak/no valve just teflon tape set up...17 or so sec...the cap has been retapped 1" pipe thread and metal 1" fittings have a larger id than the plastic ones.  We drilled out the original vent to 1/2" and plugged it. The bottom vent is a 1/2" bulkhead fitting. This one fits our stock filler pipe.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8320/7997119206_909206b4c7.jpg
P9170150 by rodknox2, on Flickr

I like retapping the cap. Did you drill it larger first?

Bacon, oh bacon
Bacon, bacon, oh bacon
Love in five letters

yeah, I just took 2 caps to a machine shop...$20

34 (edited by Mr. Wednesday 2012-09-18 06:13 PM)

Troy wrote:

Here's some math to consider. Look at the area of the hoses:

3/4" hose     = .452 sq in
1" hose        = .785
1 1/8" hose = .994
1 1/4" hose =  1.227
1 1/2" hose = 1.767
2" hose       = 3.146

So simply going from a 3/4" to a 1" hose is a 77% increase hose volume which results in a lot more flow.

Maximum flowrate through a tube or pipe goes roughly as diameter ^ 2.5*.  (Actually, a bit above this as there's also a friction factor that goes down with increasing diameter, but that's involves logarithms.)  So going from 3/4" to 1" gives more than twofold increase in flow.  Going to 1 1/8 gives another 34%.  (I'm not taking fittings into account here.  They would complicate things, offhand I think they would tend to decrease the diameter dependency toward or below flow varying with d².)

* Q = 1891 D^2 sqrt(rho delta-P / K) where K = 4 f L / D for straight tube or pipe, f being a function of diameter and roughness for fully turbulent flow; additional K could be added for fittings.

#(1)75 (was #74) Dirt Cheap Racing (driver/wrench/cool suit cooler fabricator/accountant/substitute captain) - '88 Mustang turbo-4, in garish stickers over spray chrome!
2011 - Garrapatas (11th / 3rd in B), Heaps in the Heart of Texas (19th / 3rd in B)
2012 and 2013 - Lemons didn't fit into our schedule
2014 - Heaps in the Heart of Texas

Hold on a minute. Are you confusing us with facts? 'Tis a witch?

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Worse, I'm bringing professional expertise to bear. yikes

#(1)75 (was #74) Dirt Cheap Racing (driver/wrench/cool suit cooler fabricator/accountant/substitute captain) - '88 Mustang turbo-4, in garish stickers over spray chrome!
2011 - Garrapatas (11th / 3rd in B), Heaps in the Heart of Texas (19th / 3rd in B)
2012 and 2013 - Lemons didn't fit into our schedule
2014 - Heaps in the Heart of Texas

I am having difficulty picturing this... You drilled a 1.125" hole in the cap. Through the hole you inserted the 1.25" hose and secured it with a zip tie. Is that correct?

Yes. That's it.

Basically, I did the same thing that Rodknox2 did but more ghetto-tastic. No machine shop taps. Just a keyhole drill.

I just wedged the 1.25" OD hose into the new 1.125" hole I drilled out of the cap. Then I drilled out and inserted a  0.75" Lowes  PVC "bulkhead fitting" (which is really just an electrical PVC elbow conduit with a threaded washer inside) into the bottom of the jug. It looks almost exactly the same as Rodknox, although I'm sure it took me at least 10 times as long to come up with this design as it took him.

Same results as Rodknox, also. I timed it at 25 or so seconds before but hadn't realized the vent was pinched with zip tie. Vent fully open: 17 seconds to empty 5 gallons. Theoretically (which is to say: never in a a thousand lifetimes) I could get 15 gallons into the shark in under a minute.

Btw-thanks, Mr. Wednesday for that shudder-inducing trip down Laminar Flow Lane, as I was hoping to never see that equation again. Ever since the MCAT I like to just think: Big tube, flow faster. Then I eat bacon.

Head of Estate

38 (edited by 555race 2012-09-19 07:48 AM)

doctordel wrote:

Yes. That's it.

Before I went to a marine thru-hull bulkhead fittings on my caps I did the thread onto the cap deal, and over a few events the hose/fitting leverage cracked out all of my caps.  I replaced all of them and thru-bolted them with the bulkhead fittings.

Heres a pic off the web of the fittin's I used.  What would normally be on the outside of a boat I have on the inside of the cap, then thread on the nut and tighten.  Attach hose, rock out.  Got all the fittings on amazon. query "thru-hull bulkhead fitting".  Used straights on the caps, and 90's on the vent.   

http://www.surfsideelectronics.com/images/39178.gif

Oh and here is the caps I had to replace $10 from Speedway.  So $50 +shipping for something I could have 100% avoided. 
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Utility-J … 21278.html

Triple Nickel Racing/TGTW Offroad   
#20 Border Patrol Cherokee "BPC" 
#22 Pink in the Middle Comanche "Double D"
#24 Green Door Handle Scrapping Corolla

39 (edited by Troy 2012-09-19 09:12 AM)

Okay guys, I set up a new online pic hosting account for this.

http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh524/troyhogan/240Z%20045_zps56310cac.jpg
http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh524/troyhogan/240Z%20044_zps0e67b793.jpg

This is a simple set-up that works well.

The Vent hose is 3/4" ID. It runs down the outside and provides plenty of venting while pretty much eliminating spilling.

The Dump hose is 1 3/8" OD x 1" ID. This is about as large of a hose as you can fit in an OE filler that has had the flapper removed. So unless you a fuel cell, this is about as larger as you can go. Most hardware stores have a 1" barbed x 3/4" or 5/8" threaded fitting. In other words it threads right into your cap with no modification to run a 1" ID hose.

If you have a fuel cell you can get into larger hoses but it becomes more effort.

Jay has said he doesn't want modified fuel jugs so I do not recommend drilling holes in your jugs, especially at the bottom and installing bulkheads. Vents from the bottom aren't necessary and you will have to be careful to make sure the fuel in the vent hose goes back in the jug instead of one the ground when you start pouring.

The jugs Pit Posse sells are made by Hayes Oil Company and sold as EZ Hold utility jugs. Pit Posse just seems to be the easiest place to get them and they have dealers around the country. I bought mine from Cote Motorsports here in Houston but I have never been to the place or met them. I called him up and ordered them over the phone, paid for them via PayPal and had them shipped to me. I ordered 3 with extra lids, he made me a good deal and I am happy with them. I think these are the best jugs for the price. They are more expensive than a typical VP or Scribner but not by much and they are a small fraction of a Hunsaker.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

The pictures are perfect. Thanks. I just ordered some Pit Posse jugs as well. Your mods look like they keep within the spirit of the rules. Improved flow without having to drill holes.

Bacon, oh bacon
Bacon, bacon, oh bacon
Love in five letters

Troy wrote:

Jay has said he doesn't want modified fuel jugs so I do not recommend drilling holes in your jugs, especially at the bottom and installing bulkheads. Vents from the bottom aren't necessary and you will have to be careful to make sure the fuel in the vent hose goes back in the jug instead of one the ground when you start pouring.

Thank you for posting that tidbit.  I have preached it, but keep seeing people adding vents to the bottom.  At the top you have infinitely less chances for a leak.

tikibug wrote:

With this setup, any thoughts on using a one-way check valve in place of a manual ball valve to avoid having to operate the valve while holding up the jug?  Or has that worked to keep the spillage minimal before the fuel hose is properly in the car's fuel fill pipe?

sorry I missed responding.   
The manual valve works as a throttle assembly, you leave it closed as you kick the can up.  So you limit chance to spill.  Once the nozzle is in place and you have a good hold on the jug you crack that valve and let the air flow as by now its a huge vacuum in there.  Also, if you know you are getting close to full (we have a sightguage on our tank vent) you can dial it nearly closed so you dont get that backfire of fuel out of the full filler and on your firesuits.  Much easier to dial a valve, vs. continuous up and down with the jug trying to speed it up or slow it down.

Parkwod60 wrote:

And there was a rumor that a team in Louisiana at the last NPR race showed up with a fuel gadget that pressurized the fuel with an air compressor, essentially creating what is technically known as a "bomb".

Yup, at the NOLA race in Nov 2011. All teams had to fuel in the Fueling area which was track-side at the pit entrance. Everybody would roll their fuel jugs and drip pans down on wagons or carry them. One team had basically two air tanks stack on top of each other. It was pointed out to the judges on Sunday morning (after ~12 hours of racing and a few fuel stops) that this was a pressurized rig and was not really a good idea. Not sure what they did after that for fueling, probably borrowed some jugs from friends.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

Troy wrote:

Okay guys, I set up a new online pic hosting account for this.

This is a simple set-up that works well.

The Vent hose is 3/4" ID. It runs down the outside and provides plenty of venting while pretty much eliminating spilling.

The Dump hose is 1 3/8" OD x 1" ID. This is about as large of a hose as you can fit in an OE filler that has had the flapper removed. So unless you a fuel cell, this is about as larger as you can go. Most hardware stores have a 1" barbed x 3/4" or 5/8" threaded fitting. In other words it threads right into your cap with no modification to run a 1" ID hose.

If you have a fuel cell you can get into larger hoses but it becomes more effort.

The jugs Pit Posse sells are made by Hayes Oil Company and sold as EZ Hold utility jugs. Pit Posse just seems to be the easiest place to get them and they have dealers around the country. I bought mine from Cote Motorsports here in Houston but I have never been to the place or met them. I called him up and ordered them over the phone, paid for them via PayPal and had them shipped to me. I ordered 3 with extra lids, he made me a good deal and I am happy with them. I think these are the best jugs for the price. They are more expensive than a typical VP or Scribner but not by much and they are a small fraction of a Hunsaker.

This is exactly what I was looking for.  I love the simplicity and the functionality.  Drilling holes in the bottom of fuel cans and installing bulkhead fittings seems complicated, leaky, and not required.

FYI for others considering this, I ordered a set of fuel cans from Jeg's that appeared to be exactly like the pit posse jugs.  Unfortunately, they don't have the threaded nipple for the cap for the vent.  It's just a hole in the top of the can with a "button" pressed in with a little cap.  It's not as clean to attach a vent hose.

2012 North Dallas Hooptie Judge's Choice Winners
If life gives you Lemons, install racing brakes!
https://www.facebook.com/JoBoRacing

"...complicated, leaky, and not required. "

Lemony.

FWIW, installing the vents at the bottom was super easy. No leaks at all.
Also, the vent on the bottom made a significant difference over leaving the top vented vis a vis time to empty. YMMV.

Prob best not to risk Jay's ire, though...

Head of Estate

racerxr wrote:

This is exactly what I was looking for.  I love the simplicity and the functionality.  Drilling holes in the bottom of fuel cans and installing bulkhead fittings seems complicated, leaky, and not required.

FYI for others considering this, I ordered a set of fuel cans from Jeg's that appeared to be exactly like the pit posse jugs.  Unfortunately, they don't have the threaded nipple for the cap for the vent.  It's just a hole in the top of the can with a "button" pressed in with a little cap.  It's not as clean to attach a vent hose.

You got it right,  you take out that "button" toss it in the trash.  Then you drill the cap and put a bulkhead fitting though it with the hose nipple pointed up.  Attach hose.  Rock out! 

BTW those thru-hull bulkhead fittings are under $3 for 1" hose.  The 90's for the vents are $3.55 for 3/4" hose

Where I got mine for the cap $2.47.  This is for 1" hose(lowes of HD), which is roughly 1.25" OD.  Fits a gas filler perfect if you hole saw out the flap assembly area.
Have to drill to 1 5/16.  I didnt have that size drill but I did have a Northern Tool step bit that went that big.   
http://www.imarineusa.com/perko1thru-hu … heusa.aspx

Seach words:
Perko 1" Thru-Hull Fitting f/ Hose Plastic MADE IN THE USA
TH Marine 90 Degree Thru Hull Fitting, Black with Double Nut - TH7592DP

Hope this helps some folks.  I know I wish I'd done it this way first would have save alot of gas, a lot of fuel on firesuits, as well as having to replace all of my caps since the cracked out trying to do the threading BS.

doctordel wrote:

Lemony.

Also, the vent on the bottom made a significant difference over leaving the top vented vis a vis time to empty. YMMV.

To accomplish the same effect without drilling holes in the bottom of the jug, you could just have a hose run from the existing vent at the top to the bottom of the jug, inside the jug.  Then run another hose from the external opening of the vent to the bottom of the jug outside the jug.  Air doesn't have to bubble through the gasoline, and you keep the jug interfaces (relatively) stock.

2011 LA-#53 300zx, 10 OA/3 B; 2012 RHoNJ-Guest Outlaw! #115 Parnelli Jones Galaxie; LA-#53 300zx, 15 OA/5 B; HH-#53 300zx KERBLOOIE!!!; 2013 TGTN-#53 300zx, 30 OA/4 B; LA-#86 golf, 32 OA/7 B; HH-#53 300zx; 2014 HH-#53 300zx
2017 HH-Squidrope #847 BATMOBILE, 9 laps of DOMINATION then Screwed; 2019 HH-#847 batmobile, 42 OA; 2021 Thompson-#847 batmobile, 12 OA;  HH-got Corked (#491 Miata), 72 OA

555race wrote:
tikibug wrote:

With this setup, any thoughts on using a one-way check valve in place of a manual ball valve to avoid having to operate the valve while holding up the jug?  Or has that worked to keep the spillage minimal before the fuel hose is properly in the car's fuel fill pipe?

sorry I missed responding.   
The manual valve works as a throttle assembly, you leave it closed as you kick the can up.  So you limit chance to spill.  Once the nozzle is in place and you have a good hold on the jug you crack that valve and let the air flow as by now its a huge vacuum in there.  Also, if you know you are getting close to full (we have a sightguage on our tank vent) you can dial it nearly closed so you dont get that backfire of fuel out of the full filler and on your firesuits.  Much easier to dial a valve, vs. continuous up and down with the jug trying to speed it up or slow it down.

Thought the might be the case,  especially good point on being able to stop the fuel flow without dropping jugs and flailing hoses.

2011 LA-#53 300zx, 10 OA/3 B; 2012 RHoNJ-Guest Outlaw! #115 Parnelli Jones Galaxie; LA-#53 300zx, 15 OA/5 B; HH-#53 300zx KERBLOOIE!!!; 2013 TGTN-#53 300zx, 30 OA/4 B; LA-#86 golf, 32 OA/7 B; HH-#53 300zx; 2014 HH-#53 300zx
2017 HH-Squidrope #847 BATMOBILE, 9 laps of DOMINATION then Screwed; 2019 HH-#847 batmobile, 42 OA; 2021 Thompson-#847 batmobile, 12 OA;  HH-got Corked (#491 Miata), 72 OA

49 (edited by psychoboy 2012-09-20 11:08 AM)

tikibug wrote:
doctordel wrote:

Lemony.

To accomplish the same effect without drilling holes in the bottom of the jug, you could just have a hose run from the existing vent at the top to the bottom of the jug, inside the jug.  Then run another hose from the external opening of the vent to the bottom of the jug outside the jug.  Air doesn't have to bubble through the gasoline, and you keep the jug interfaces (relatively) stock.

i've been noodling that out.

when sitting upright, the vent tube inside the jug will be somewhat full of fuel. when you turn the jug over, how do you get that fuel out of the tube? i would think it would collect (due to gravity) at the vent passthru (the top/bottom of the U) and end up causing the vent to glug.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

We've got a hard line running down inside the jug from the fuel vent opening.  We don't have the outside hose like Troy has but I think we'll be adding that.  To answer how you get the fuel out of the inside tube, it just runs out the bottom of the tube into the jug when it's tilted up.  If you tilt it up too fast a little bit will come out .  Troy's mod would do away with that.  We don't get any glug.  I think the only time you get that is when you are introducing air through the fuel.  The inner hose dealio introduces the air at the bottom of the jug where there is no fuel when it's tilted up.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)