Re: 5 Gal Gas Can Mods for Fueling

do you have a T or something at the passthru? i'm not seeing where the "out" would be at the bottom of the tube when the jug is upside down.

using troy's pics as a reference, i'm thinking you guys are running a tube down the inside of the handle sections of troy's jugs. if that tube only has two openings (one at the bottom of the jug, and one at the vent) then when you flip the jug, the fuel in the tube runs out the vent and onto your feet.

what ridiculously obvious thing am i missing?

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

52 (edited by Troy 2012-09-20 06:01 PM)

You guys are really trying to make a round tire rounder! This is not that difficult.

The tube down the outside works fine without a tube going down into the bottom of the jug. You just need air getting into the jug and when the vent is on top and you tip the jug to pour, fuel starts pouring out the the vent as well as the dump hose so it won't vent.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

tikibug wrote:
doctordel wrote:

"...complicated, leaky, and not required. "

Lemony.

FWIW, installing the vents at the bottom was super easy. No leaks at all.
Also, the vent on the bottom made a significant difference over leaving the top vented vis a vis time to empty. YMMV.

Prob best not to risk Jay's ire, though...

To accomplish the same effect without drilling holes in the bottom of the jug, you could just have a hose run from the existing vent at the top to the bottom of the jug, inside the jug.  Then run another hose from the external opening of the vent to the bottom of the jug outside the jug.  Air doesn't have to bubble through the gasoline, and you keep the jug interfaces (relatively) stock.

True. I tried this first. But the vent hole in the pit posse is pretty small. The hose that fits into the vent doesn't allow the jug interior to vent very quickly. So then you're left with having to drill out the vent on top for a larger diameter hose. Then having to turn the hose 180 degrees in a small radius kinks it, unless you insert a spring like Troy (well done, Troy!) which I didn't have the ambition to try since I had already gone to lowes, like, 78 times that day. Plus, putting the vent at the bottom keeps the vent hose very low profile at the handles, where it is zip tied. As for the caps, 5 minutes with a Dremel and a few tiny washers and the caps are barbed, keeping the gigante 1" ID of the filler hose as the narrowest flow obstruction (except for the half-millimeter barb indent) as opposed to a threaded adapter.

Head of Estate
/) come monday motorsports /)

Kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

54 (edited by mhrir 2012-09-21 06:11 AM)

After looking at the Pit Posse (aka EZ Hold Utility Jug) here is what I came up with.

The vent has a lot of extra material. So I purchased some 1/2" OD polyethylene tubing an then drilled out the vent with a 1/2" bit. I cut the tubing off just above the vent and then hose clamped a piece of 5/8" ID reinforced hose on the outside as shown earlier.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-ceanYYfdS_A/UFvY5sME6wI/AAAAAAAAAv8/0qkRnCJdBtk/s912/IMG_1670.jpg

I then inserted the tubing through the enlarged vent and skipped trying to put the tubing through the upper handle. Instead I put it through the lower handle and left about 3/4" from the bottom.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-x9W6aslgZfU/UFvY8HCMDnI/AAAAAAAAAwA/8x0Ke7xYk3A/s912/IMG_1669.jpg

Also as mentioned earlier in post #39 I purchased a 3/4" pipe thread to 1" hose barb that screws perfectly into the cap.

Bacon, oh bacon
Bacon, bacon, oh bacon
Love in five letters

55 (edited by Mulry 2012-09-21 05:04 AM)

psychoboy wrote:

when sitting upright, the vent tube inside the jug will be somewhat full of fuel. when you turn the jug over, how do you get that fuel out of the tube? i would think it would collect (due to gravity) at the vent passthru (the top/bottom of the U) and end up causing the vent to glug.

One way that you could solve this would be to put a thin copper vent tube inside your fuel delivery tube. The copper line would run all the way to the bottom of the fuel can, thus providing an air return to the very bottom. Any fuel in that tube at the start of fueling would be deposited into the fuel tank at the initiation of the fueling stop, then air would begin to counterflow, and given the large differential in density between fuel and air, that internal vent hose wouldn't have to be very large, so you wouldn't limit your outflow significantly.

I think this internally-vented option would eliminate a lot of the fuel-spill problems that you encounter with longer outside vent hoses and would be especially useful if you're already using a larger ID fuel hose.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

You all do realize that you do not have to turn your jug completely upside down to pour the fuel out, don't you?

The jug in the last post with photos had a large enough vent for him to drill out 1/2" and still had the threads for the vent cap.  Why bother putting a hose down thru it?  As long as you are not tipping the jug up to the point where the fuel is higher than the vent hole there is no reason to do that.  The air is still getting into the jug.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

racinrob wrote:

You all do realize that you do not have to turn your jug completely upside down to pour the fuel out, don't you?

The jug in the last post with photos had a large enough vent for him to drill out 1/2" and still had the threads for the vent cap.  Why bother putting a hose down thru it?  As long as you are not tipping the jug up to the point where the fuel is higher than the vent hole there is no reason to do that.  The air is still getting into the jug.

You know with an un-moded jug you can turn it upside down and open the vent with no leaks, right?

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Baron wrote:

You know with an un-moded jug you can turn it upside down and open the vent with no leaks, right?

+1, they actually leak less when they are turned all the way upside down.

White Trash Racing - Fail Neon

anr211 wrote:
Baron wrote:

+1, they actually leak less when they are turned all the way upside down.

x3 vacuum created by gravity is a powerful thing

Triple Nickel Racing/TGTW Offroad   
#20 Border Patrol Cherokee "BPC" 
#22 Pink in the Middle Comanche "Double D"
#24 Green Door Handle Scrapping Corolla

60 (edited by mhrir 2012-09-22 08:56 PM)

racinrob wrote:

I accepted your challenge and timed different configurations. The results show your hypothesis is incorrect.

- The slowest at nearly one minute was your suggestion of just using the vent.

- The fastest at 28 seconds was my idea of inserting the tube through the vent to the bottom of the jug.

When just using only the vent, the angle of the jug had to be very shallow to keep the air pocket by the vent. If it was tipped it further the air had to bubble through the fuel which was even slower. With the tube inserted it was possible to fully invert the jug which allowed gravity to pull the fuel out instead of merely pouring it out. This was faster in spite of the tube being 3/8" ID compared to the 1/2" ID hole drilled through the vent.

Them's the facts.

Bacon, oh bacon
Bacon, bacon, oh bacon
Love in five letters

Id bet you'd see quite a bit of vacuum in a fuel jug upside down with just the vent popped on the bottom (when it's upside down dumping.)

Its like shotguning a beer. It just  glugs till you crack the top vent. Ya gotta use things we can relate to in future explanations.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

Re this issue: ignore everything I said here. After this weekend it is abundantly clear that my team and me have much bigger issues to address before anyone should even consider taking any advice from us.

Jugs worked fantastic, BTW.

Head of Estate
/) come monday motorsports /)

Kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

doctordel wrote:

Re this issue: ignore everything I said here. After this weekend it is abundantly clear that my team and me have much bigger issues to address before anyone should even consider taking any advice from us.

Jugs worked fantastic, BTW.

I've raced with several other teams using my car and jugs. I can fill the car in under a minute. Getting the driver strapped in takes much longer. So if you really want to improve your pit times work on getting your drivers in and out faster.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Just an update, with our modified jugs at CMP, we got consistent 28 sec refuels per jug. Unmodified jugs with standard hoses was well over a minute per jug...

Owner #132 Lancia/Toyota Beta/MR2 Scorpion

Damn, that second picture is kinda disturbing.  It makes me think I'm a gyno looking at a fuellopian tube.

Brian

(NHMS 10/2014)  Dirty Penny 46  Class C 2nd Place
(NHMS 10/2013)  Team Mater 10
(NHMS 05/2013)  Team Mater 8  Organizer's Choice
(NHMS 10/2012)  Dirty Penny 46  I.O.E. Winner

Jay needs to stop all this foolishness with a 5 minute mandatory pit stop rule.

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

Yeah, the other series' rule isn't such a bad thing, but the top half of the field over there still use modded jugs.  For cars with 15+ gallon tanks/cells you're still going to eat up 4-5 minutes just on fueling with un-modded jugs.

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

I still find it interesting they banned Hunsakers. I think Hunsakers are overrated but if the 5 minute rule works, who cares what jugs you use?

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

DC Doug wrote:

Yeah, the other series' rule isn't such a bad thing, but the top half of the field over there still use modded jugs.  For cars with 15+ gallon tanks/cells you're still going to eat up 4-5 minutes just on fueling with un-modded jugs.

OK.  10 Minutes then.

Lemons races are pretty much being won in the pits these days and it's a shame, because there are some really great teams that just don't have the sheer number of people required to make fast stops.  Also, as time off track becomes more crucial, I see more cars speeding in the pits and doing risky maneuvers to get around traffic in the paddock.

Also, as is evidenced by the fire at the T-Hill race, it's becoming apparent that not everyone is qualified to install a fuel cell.  This would not be an issue if there was a two hour max. stint rule as well.  Most of the top teams are keeping drivers out for 3 hours or more.

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

Never going to happen because those damn cheaty teams with their Geo Metros and their tiny fuel tanks and good gas mileage.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

GnomeFabTech wrote:
DC Doug wrote:

OK.  10 Minutes then.

What about 6 minute abs?

Just another crappy BMW and moto-powered MR2: http://www.facebook.com/BlackIronRacing
Gnome money, Gnome problems. (RIP) http://www.facebook.com/MetroGnomeRacing

gielamonster wrote:
GnomeFabTech wrote:
DC Doug wrote:

OK.  10 Minutes then.

What about 6 minute abs?

Noooo!!! Seven! You can't even break a sweat in six. Its like the old nursery rhyme "Seven little chipmunks twirlin on a branch... eatin lots of sunflowers at my uncles ranch"

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

73 (edited by rodknox2 2012-10-03 11:01 AM)

It's a joke...the gnomer is messin' with you guys.  He knows Lemons will never use the Chump refueling procedure.  There are just too many cars.  Chump uses the hot pits for refueling, and a kitchen timer on each car.  A car entering the pits must stop at pit in to get their timer.  Then when leaving the pits, the car must stop at pit out so a worker can check and  remove the timer.  We had over 180 entries for T'hill...how many kitchen timers would Jay need...how would we all fit in the hot pits?

The gnomer knows that Cerveza won by 8 laps and it wasn't because of their overwhelming number of crew members and their lightning fast pit stops.  We were pitted next to them.  They use their drivers as pit crew.  They use  unmodded jugs and a funnel.  Their stops are in the 5 minute range.  They have long stints.  Their first stop was 2.5 hours in.  They won because they're fast and they don't make many stops or mistakes.

A team doesn't need a large crew to make fast stops.  We have 4 drivers, a crew chief, and a wife.  The drivers do the refueling and the strapping in of the next driver.  The crew chief's sole job is to torque the lug nuts.  He can do one wheel while the driver is getting out.  The wife will do the windshield if needed and she holds the replacement ice.  According to Roland's time card, our fastest stop was 5:54.  That's including a lap (2:23ish), driving to the pit stall at 10mph, the pit stop and driving to the s/f line(timing loop).

We use to use the driver getting out of the car as the refueler.  But after thinking about it we changed it.  The driver getting out of the car is probably the last person on the crew we would want to handle the jug.  He is most likely tired, sweaty, his judgement might be taxed.  He's got ear plugs...he can't hear the fuel gurgling up the filler pipe.  We now use the second or third driver in line.  The next driver in line holds the fire bottle by the driver's side door.

Last year a team showed up with 8 crew members not counting the drivers.  Jay asked them how many crew members they had.  He then gave them 8 bs laps.  He later reduced the number of bs laps after some 'conversation'.

On top of which, the level of micromanagement that this would require from Jay is, I'd estimate, somewhere around 800% beyond his desired level of micromanagement. My perception of his attitude is more like we are all adults here willing to pay to do something extraordinarily stupid, but let's try not to kill ourselves or especially each other, now go forth and do your stupid stuff. I could be mis-perceiving though.

It's when teams break that cardinal rule of doing something extraordinarily stupid that could especially result in the maiming of others that I've seen him get really hot under the collar. There were a few teams at Joliet earlier this year that ignored the rules on a red-flag situation and decided to instead send their cars into the paddock for servicing/driver change. I've never, ever seen Jay as completely P.O'd as he was at those guys. Apoplectic, practically.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

75 (edited by BoB 2012-10-03 03:28 PM)

Another reason to not do this is that while it will work for some teams other teams will still be unsafe and other will be punished for no reason.

Lets just say the rule is based around a 2 hour stint and a car that burns 5 gallons per hour which is an average car.  So the fueling time is based around what it would take to dump 10 gallons in the car and switch drivers.  If you have a car that burns 5 gallons per hour it will work.  If you have a car that burns 7.5 gallons per hour you will then make still do all the unsafe things the rules were meant to stop to get your extra 5 gallons in the car and get out in the a loted time.  Now if you have a littls efficient car that burns 2 gallons an hour you are now stuck sitting around doing watching the timer, and your little efficient car will not have the power to make up the time on the track which means you have no reason to even race it.

As for Jay I always thought he is fine with us being idiots as long as what we do isn't going to hurt/maim/kill you or anyone else.  The guys coming in on the red flag , part of what to remember is the ambulance was parked right by pit out, so if it was needed on the track they could have run right into it.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page