Re: 5 Gal Gas Can Mods for Fueling

Actually I was not kidding.  I think the egg timer is a great idea and could easily be implemented for Lemons.  Chump does not always use the hot pits for fueling and driver changes but the egg timer system works anyway.   I think it's a help to keep teams with fewer resources in the hunt.  We always ran the Gnome with only four people in total and it slowed us down in the pits a bit.

As for limiting stint length, that would do more to level the playing field than anything else.  Unfortunately it would be very hard to implement or enforce and considering the retarded cheaters I see as a judge I know the honor system would never work.

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

Okay, getting this thread back on topic--I've upgraded my VP jugs like Troy's.  1" ID filler hose, enlarged vent to 1/2" with 5/8" hose clamped on.

I measured the diameter of the actual hole in my car's filler neck and it's less than 1"--closer to 7/8".  So, I'll need to put something in the end of the 1" ID hose to reduce it down to fit in the filler neck.  What are you guys using?  I'd like something that I could screw a cap onto, like the filler hoses the jugs came with, but wouldn't restrict flow too much.  The piece of pipe that came in the end of the VP filler hose is around 7/8" OD and barely over 1/2" ID.  Gotta do better than that...

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

obsolete wrote:

Okay, getting this thread back on topic--I've upgraded my VP jugs like Troy's.  1" ID filler hose, enlarged vent to 1/2" with 5/8" hose clamped on.

I measured the diameter of the actual hole in my car's filler neck and it's less than 1"--closer to 7/8".  So, I'll need to put something in the end of the 1" ID hose to reduce it down to fit in the filler neck.  What are you guys using?  I'd like something that I could screw a cap onto, like the filler hoses the jugs came with, but wouldn't restrict flow too much.  The piece of pipe that came in the end of the VP filler hose is around 7/8" OD and barely over 1/2" ID.  Gotta do better than that...

Did you punch out the "Unleaded Only" restrictor from the cars filler neck? That would be the best solution to this problem.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

Punch it out?  Not sure that's possible.  Looks like it's all one piece.

I am hesitant to modify the filler neck.  I don't want to be one of those teams sloshing fuel on the track.  That would make this whole operation counterproductive.

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

obsolete wrote:

The standard hoses for these utility jugs use smaller hose so it fits through the OE fillers. So unless you remove the OE restrictor, you can not really use a larger hose.

Aside from a larger diameter hose, I prefer a longer hose around 2 1/2 feet. It depends on the car but I like a hose long enough to put it in the filler while the jug is still on the ground. There is an added benefit to a longer hose, ot gets you farther away from the car where you are less likely to get spilled on.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

obsolete wrote:

Punch it out?  Not sure that's possible.  Looks like it's all one piece.

I am hesitant to modify the filler neck.  I don't want to be one of those teams sloshing fuel on the track.  That would make this whole operation counterproductive.

It's possible. You can use a cold chisel to punch out the restriction without disturbing the flange on the filler neck and the mating surface for the stock fuel filler cap. We did this on the MR2 years ago. It's best to remove the filler neck from the car before doing it just so you don't accidentally drop some of the cut off bits into the fuel tank, but even that wouldn't be a dealbreaker, as they should never get past the sock filter on the fuel pickup. But I'd remove the neck first, personally.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Remove the filler neck, get yourself an appropriately-sized hole saw, chuck it up, and go to town.  Oh, and then reinstall the filler neck.

The chisel thing works, too, but has a greater chance of tearing a hole in the side of the neck or deforming the cap threads.

The restrictors are just there to prevent us from putting leaded fuel in our catalytic convertor-equipped cars.  You know, from all those leaded fuel pumps you see at gas stations these days.

I'm actually really irritated at how poorly vapor recovery nozzles play with the leaded-sized filler in my 510.  They basically guarantee spillage.  I suppose I could replace the filler neck with one from a later year, but I'm trying to keep the car all original.  Heh.

Scott

Those restrictors also keep dumb asses from putting diesel in their gas cars.

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

GnomeFabTech wrote:

Those restrictors also keep dumb asses from putting diesel in their gas cars.

MMaybe at the big truck pumps, but the auto diesel pumps round here arent bigger or smaller, just green and oily.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Oh well.  The race is this weekend.  No time to modify the filler neck.  Guess I'll have to hack something up or just forgo the 1" hoses for now.  Thanks guys.

It took me 15 minutes with a cold chisel.  The flapper fell into the tank..no big deal..retrieved it sometime later.  I saw a guy do it in the pits on a Friday.  My filler neck is pretty stout...didn't come close to tearing it.  Did it in place.

hoverducky wrote:

Remove the filler neck, get yourself an appropriately-sized hole saw, chuck it up, and go to town.  Oh, and then reinstall the filler neck.

Scott

WINNING!!!!

Triple Nickel Racing/TGTW Offroad   
#20 Border Patrol Cherokee "BPC" 
#22 Pink in the Middle Comanche "Double D"
#24 Green Door Handle Scrapping Corolla