26 (edited by jimeditorial 2009-10-26 11:03 AM)

Re: OK, so we bought this 928 for $250, and we're racing it

Judge Jonny wrote:
Evil Genius wrote:

Limp mode around here is when you swing the hammer to fix something and miss..  the teammate you hit goes into 'limp Mode'   

I don't think the 928 has a limp mode, it does, however, have a 'leak mode'......

how is that different from the 'smoke mode?'

Or the commode?

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

So, I'm back at the shop, the boys on the team have made progress, the car has been reduced to a shell, the exhaust has been repaired and it has a real sweet fanboy fartcan on it..    If you squint a bit it looks a little like an  "initial D, dude" 240sx.  The faded, chalky red paint helps.   They've looped the trans cooler lines so they don't leak and have run it on the dyno.   It has about 185hp and 230 ft/lbs torque at the wheels... not bad for a 25 year old car that was supposed to have around 240ish at the crank when new!      We now need to find a trans-cooler, make the lines for it and about a thousand other things..   It goes into and doesn't slip in all 4 gears!!  We just may have a car here.        The car sits about a mile in the air with all the weight removed,  the shocks aren't toast, buy they ain't that good either..  maybe they'll work better at a lower setting.     This thing takes so much oil in the trans and engine that changing the fluids will be a large part of our budget.       

I will try to post some pics

-John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Hooray!

I would also like to run a Porsche in Lemons someday. 914, of course!

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Happy Birthday Evil John

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Judge Jonny wrote:

Happy Birthday Evil John

Thanks!     46 freaking years old...  I think I have a couple of good years left....

I bet you guys will be serious contenders in that whip.  They say in Poker that the cards don't matter, it's the player.  In Lemons it's the same thing.  It's the teams that win the race, the cars are secondary.  I think that 928 just got lucky...

Oh, and happy birthday.

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

GnomeFabTech wrote:

I bet you guys will be serious contenders in that whip.

Damn right- they manage to keep it running >50% of the race, they'll be IOE front runners. Of course, they'll be up against the Dungeons & Dragsters Capri, so it will shape up as a race between the Crapi's transmission and the 928's dozen 1979-vintage computers. Which will fail first?

MurileeMartin wrote:
GnomeFabTech wrote:

I bet you guys will be serious contenders in that whip.

Damn right- they manage to keep it running >50% of the race, they'll be IOE front runners. Of course, they'll be up against the Dungeons & Dragsters Capri, so it will shape up as a race between the Crapi's transmission and the 928's dozen 1979-vintage computers. Which will fail first?

Ok,  the bet is on, I'll wager something of little value that we beat the D&D Capri on laps... how about a 40 of Old English 800....

I should introduce myself......I am John's customer who FOUND this 928....it sat in front of my neighbors house for over a year.....my constant pestering finally got the guy to cave and sell...& I even got $50 knocked off his price! 

I am quite proud of the Miata ignition (with key) and "improved" wiring harness to power the fuel brain (think a straight piece of wire from the battery)....simple and it works.....

The "ricer" fart can exhaust actually sounds pretty good....it didn't give us anymore power...but at least the factory cat is gone! 

Next step is new brake fluid and pads, cut the springs to lower the car..install new tires & get it out for testing!!! 

I am optimistic the car will be running well at the start of the race.....will it run long enough to finish the race is another story.....only time will tell

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL92flNHmNk

Clint took the factory power seats and made a sweet LOVE seat.....I think we should sell it for extra $$$$

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKuGv652gTw

Here is the car last week......runs well with the new exhaust......

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Come on, somebody start complaining that you can't find a 928 for 500 bucks. I dare you!

MurileeMartin wrote:

Come on, somebody start complaining that you can't find a 928 for 500 bucks. I dare you!

If I didn't actually hand the guy $250 for the car.....I'd complain :>)

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

With a lot of the interior stripped we had it down to 2744 lbs, since then we've removed the inner part of the right door, the rear windows and the sunroof assembly.    We are continuing to remove insulation, tar and sound deadening.  We are consulting with Porsche guys about which computers and control boxes we can safely remove.    The relay panel in the passenger footwell looks like the power supply substation for a third world country...     holy shit, more relays than the Olympics!

Evil Genius wrote:

The relay panel in the passenger footwell looks like the power supply substation for a third world country...     holy shit, more relays than the Olympics!

Pictures or it didn't happen

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/07/DOTJ-78_Porsche_928-03.jpg

You mean this relay panel? And that's just the biggest one- plenty of mysterious boxes, bundles of wires as thick as your arm, and strange sensors in a 928.

AYEEE!!!!!!!!!!! Kill it! Kill it!!

I got a 12v test light for my birthday...

GnomeFabTech wrote:

I bet the 928 runs on 158VAC, 11Hz. Except for the parts that use negative-earth 29VDC.

I thought every car has 50 fuses (old school bullet type) and 25 relays with 30 different multi wire plugs under that..... 

Whats even more fun is the fact that ALL of the wires behind the panel are GRAY....every single ONE.....

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

replace all the relays with LEDs tongue

If you look closely at the photograph, you can see scorch marks by one of the fuses. No problem!

MurileeMartin wrote:
GnomeFabTech wrote:

I bet the 928 runs on 158VAC, 11Hz. Except for the parts that use negative-earth 29VDC.

I've gotta buy your book.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

Okay there is 34 fuses accross the top...oddly enough the burned one #22 is supposed to be EMPTY...very odd.....out of the 34 slots we only really need 4......the others are all for junk that been removed

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

icemang17 wrote:

Okay there is 34 fuses accross the top...oddly enough the burned one #22 is supposed to be EMPTY...very odd.....out of the 34 slots we only really need 4......the others are all for junk that been removed

You removed the Super-Rad-A-Scope?

And the gram scale?

50 (edited by GnomeFabTech 2009-10-28 07:10 PM)

He removed the automatic gold chain applicator and electric cologne spritzer.  I am not sure but that car may have had the optional device that bleaches the passenger's hair when it detects a brunette.