26 (edited by racerxr 2012-11-26 04:58 PM)

Re: Eligable? Ferrari Content

You want this (and the badges from the same car).  It comes with no BS laps and built-in theme that doesn't involve wearing a loud Hawaiian shirt, short shorts, mustache, and Tigers baseball cap.

http://cimages.carsforsale.com/284795/1g2pe11r9hp241310_15.jpg

2012 North Dallas Hooptie Judge's Choice Winners
If life gives you Lemons, install racing brakes!
https://www.facebook.com/JoBoRacing

cheseroo wrote:
Sparky Pete wrote:
DukeOfUndersteer wrote:

In Georgia, Atlanta to be specific.

Boss said let him take out what he needs, then will give me the shell. i want to find a donor for the motor/trans, harness, ecu, ect.

If you try to pass it off as a Fiero, you will forever be my hero.

Also, that thing needs a REAL sportscar motor... like an MGB for example!

http://shoyer.com/mgb/pictures/mgd2k-66b-1.jpg

Wrong!

http://users.belgacom.net/TR_gallery2/TR6_BRG_PI_Engine.jpg

WRONG!!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1378/1433019074_e7281fbec3.jpg

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

racerxr wrote:

You want this (and the badges from the same car).  It comes with no BS laps and built-in theme that doesn't involve wearing a loud Hawaiian shirt, short shorts, mustache, and Tigers baseball cap.

http://cimages.carsforsale.com/284795/1g2pe11r9hp241310_15.jpg

Funny you ask that. I might be moving to Dallas in the next month to start on a race team in Arlington. Might have to drag the Ferrari shell out there

She sounds like Elmer Fudd sitting on a juicer...

I would also like to find a real crappy Chevy Blazer Testarossa body kit or any other crappy car that has a kit that I can mold onto the Ferrari. Think it would be juuuust perfect

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/89-92-Probe-Testarossa-Body-Kit-Side-Panels-LX-GT-GL-1st-Gen-Ford-Ferrari-/00/s/MTAyNFg3Mjc=/$(KGrHqJHJBUE63VVHdSPBO1-7Ulk+w~~60_35.JPG

30 (edited by Scud.Ig 2012-11-26 08:26 PM)

Fiat X1/9 motor/tranny.

Dino 154 GT4

We all lost to a Alfa powered Fiat at Road America.

A while back Nick made a post about the dream garage poster and the only car that had not made Lemons was a Ferrari and he dared someone to do it.

I'm up for a Ferrari challenge if someone were to provide a Lemons priced Ferrari.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

L44! It's the factory Fiero GT engine!

Sparky Pete wrote:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1378/1433019074_e7281fbec3.jpg

Aaaand we have a winner.  Ferrari's should be v12.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

34 (edited by mechimike 2012-11-27 07:00 AM)

I have two recommendations:

- Corvair drivetrain.  You can buy a whole running Corvair for $500.  Yank the rear end, engine, trans, etc and slap it under the Ferrari.  Bonus points for a Powerglide transmission.  If it needs to be a V12, figure out how to mate two Corvair engines together.

- Cadillac 500 from a FWD Eldorado.  Heck, any eldorado FWD setup- a 368 V8-6-4 would be the ultimate.  Bonus points for a diesel FWD setup, too.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

Welcome to my other home.. I'll haunt you here too.

Please do not do the Iron Duke.  It's all fun and games for people throwing out ideas in a forum but pouring that much blood sweat and tears into that thing and to have it be a dog on track would be sad.  They aren't the ones doing the work.  Do something with some power!  A GM v6 would be fine as long as it wasn't a 2.8.  An SHO would be good, but an Alfa 164 v6 with the 5-speed would be *amazing*.  The Maxima/Altima v6 with a stick would be really good, too.

I think the judges will be lenient on you, especially given the provenance of the car.  Even if not, at least you're not shoving a 50-75hp piece of crap in there.  Everybody wants to see a Lemons Ferrari!

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

dculberson wrote:

Welcome to my other home.. I'll haunt you here too.

Please do not do the Iron Duke.  It's all fun and games for people throwing out ideas in a forum but pouring that much blood sweat and tears into that thing and to have it be a dog on track would be sad.  They aren't the ones doing the work.  Do something with some power!  A GM v6 would be fine as long as it wasn't a 2.8.  An SHO would be good, but an Alfa 164 v6 with the 5-speed would be *amazing*.  The Maxima/Altima v6 with a stick would be really good, too.

I think the judges will be lenient on you, especially given the provenance of the car.  Even if not, at least you're not shoving a 50-75hp piece of crap in there.  Everybody wants to see a Lemons Ferrari!

Ah yes, dculberson. Greetings.

I will have to try and source a 164 V6 with a trans and associated wiring harnesses and brains. Would love to try and enter it into the GRM Challenge too. Hopefully it will be within budget.

Might be taking this project with me to Texas since I'm going to start as Team Manager for Bob Stretch's Trans Am team in the next 3 weeks

I believe the GRM Challenge has a category for Lemons/chump cars.  It allows you to enter them with some budget leeway for the safety requirements of Lemons, so you probably should be ok as long as you keep the build in Lemons Budget.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Chrysler 2.2/2.5 setup......

It's transverse and turbo'd. It's perfect.

Do it.
now.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Set the body on a Japanese chassis and bolt in a German motor.  Buy WW2 uniforms and approach BS inspection with a Hogan's Heros/Keystone Cops attitude and you'll not only get 0 laps, you'll get instant LeMon's cred.

Zee axe ass ov Evel!

Bonus points if you can work that Evel into some sort of Knievel addition to the theme.

"He attacked everything in life with a mixture of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."   -Adams, Douglas.   The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

14x loser @ Gingerman, Autobahn, Summit Point, New Jersey, Road 'Merica, and Barber

yukadas wrote:

Set the body on a Japanese chassis and bolt in a German motor.  Buy WW2 uniforms and approach BS inspection with a Hogan's Heros/Keystone Cops attitude and you'll not only get 0 laps, you'll get instant LeMon's cred.

Zee axe ass ov Evel!

Bonus points if you can work that Evel into some sort of Knievel addition to the theme.

THIS.

This is pretty much the Lemons Singularity. Every in-joke, every theme, every combination of body/powertrain pales in comparison to an MR2 chassis VW VR6 engined Ferarri.

Damn.

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 142 races and counting.
2/25/24

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh503/PunisherBass/IMAG0328.jpg

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

pendejo was wanting to do the fiero swap into a ferrari, and put a fiero body kit on it, too. But real life has bogged him down I believe.

But ok, so I may be partial, but I say Olds 350 diesel with a Toronado front subframe and fwd transmission stuffed into the back.

Or, if you really want to go "out there", contact Tsog and make it a fwd using the complete SIMCA 1204 drivetrain.

http://savepottstown.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/double-dog-dare.jpg

43 (edited by psychoboy 2012-11-27 11:25 AM)

olds 350 diesel, or the WWII Axis setup, or the Fiero Kit Car.

the punishment of the iron duke needs to be reserved for the E30s and the Miatas.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

I suspect fully half of us here have done that at one point... somewhat fewer have done it twice...

Spank wrote:

http://savepottstown.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/double-dog-dare.jpg

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

I don't know how well the measurements would line up, but you could just get a Fiero for its chassis, drivetrain(I agree with the 60 degree V6 sentiments), and trim and put your 308 shell on top of it.

Also, I read this:

DukeOfUndersteer wrote:

Bob Stretch's Trans Am

As 'Bob's Stretch Trans Am'.  I guess I'm just seeing what I want to see.

1978 AMC Pacer - The Blue Flag Special
BFE GP '12 - IOE
BFE GP '13 - Co-Organizer's Choice w/ Speed Holes Wrenching

Unfortunately, I have a goal involving simca mid engine sports cars, and don't have the parts collected for my own, let alone enough to share. I am however, fully supportive of any reasonably obtained drivetrain donor.

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

As someone who's had to build a chassis underneath 2 rusted out Datsun huiks, I would take a good, long look at the rust on the Ferrari.  If it's well and truly shot, skin it and drop it over an MR2 or Fiero like Speedycop did with the Lancia.

The first Datsun I built was in terrible shape.  The only things attaching the front and rear of the car together were the transmission tunnel and the roof.  Floors, rockers and trunk were all completely toast. 

Make sure you have buy in from The Evil One and Jay on the crash structure.

Black Gold/Sex Panther Racing: '79 Datsun 280ZX
Dirty Penny Racing: Rustyass Datsun 210.

racerxr wrote:

This one screams Fiero donor for the motor, trans/axle, suspension, brakes, wheels, and badges.  You get all the parts you need with theme included.

Best idea.

Most Ferrari's are rebadged Fiero's anyway...

smile

smile

'96 Dodge Neon, a.k.a. "Neon Pope" - 20 Lemons races - 1 Class B win

TheEngineer wrote:

Chrysler 2.2/2.5 setup......

It's transverse and turbo'd. It's perfect.

Do it.
now.

Since Fiat owns Ferrari and Dodge is seems fitting that a new Lemons Ferrari be propelled by Mopar.

If it doesn't have 2 doors, 3 pedals, and 5 lug nuts per wheel - It isn't a real race car

Jealous, jealous, jealous.  I've theorized / fantasized about an idea Iike this since I saw a burned out 308gt4 chassis on a salvage site a couple of years ago with a still decidedly un-lemony price tag on it.

It must be done.  The twin cam fiat / lancia motor with a scorpion transaxle is an appropriate choice and would guarantee class c.  We've proven that it may or may not throw rods with abandon once a few races are under a given motor's belt... who wants certainty in the equation?

Scuderia Regurgito  '75 Fiat 131, '93 e36
2010 Stafford: Winner, class ugly  2011 NJMP: Organizer's Choice and violently exploded gearbox
2011 Stafford: Most From the Least, 2012 NJMP: Shockingly issue free, 2012 Loudon: Rod thru block
2012 Hooptiefest: Multiple spun bearings, 2013 Monticello: Head gaskets, 2013 Loudon: More head gaskets, 2013 NJMP, 2013 Hooptiefest, 2014 NJMPx2 and Heroic Fix