Re: Eligable? Ferrari Content

DukeOfUndersteer wrote:

Funny you ask that. I might be moving to Dallas in the next month to start on a race team in Arlington. Might have to drag the Ferrari shell out there

Bring it with you.
There are several Lemons teams in the DFdub. I bet some of them might even clear a corner in their shop to accommodate that iron-oxide.

As a Texas Judge, I will give you zero laps if it has a Metro motor or a Turbo Metro motor (don't knock it till you try it). If it has a Fiero drivetrain or a fuel injected V6 of any variety which gives it more pep than all the other econoboxes of the mid 70s it will be subject to closer inspection, but I can not see giving this car any more than 15 laps.

Given it's level of decay, please focus on reinforcing the floor before adding a cage. It won't matter how cheaty the motor is if the car wont pass tech inspection (i'm speaking form personal experience here)

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Car is up in the air, engine subframe has seen better days. I might just remake it when I choose what motor I'm going to use:
http://i.imgur.com/JL6uH.jpg

Coolant pipes look a bit rough too
http://i.imgur.com/zf2mu.jpg

Sorry for crappy phone pics. Android + no lighting = crap.

She sounds like Elmer Fudd sitting on a juicer...

DukeOfUndersteer wrote:

Coolant pipes look a bit rough too

I had iffy coolant pipes in a Maserati Bora, turns out it was incredbly cheap to have some fabricated from stainless.  Get your new engine in place and then fabricate some new ones, it shouldn't be too bad of a job.

bs

bshorey wrote:

I had iffy coolant pipes in a Maserati Bora, turns out it was incredbly cheap to have some fabricated from stainless.  Get your new engine in place and then fabricate some new ones, it shouldn't be too bad of a job.

Or if you really want to live on the edge, just run some honkin' big hoses front to rear, and cover 'em with a pan.  It's what they did in a few later model Ferraris...

papal_smear wrote:
bshorey wrote:

Or if you really want to live on the edge, just run some honkin' big hoses front to rear, and cover 'em with a pan.  It's what they did in a few later model Ferraris...

Better then both ... Conduit Pipe .... Bends easy ... Cheap as hell and Zinc coated for rust proofing.    Thanks to Jim Thwaite for teaching me that on the Wartburg Project!

Jeff
Three Pedal Mafia
Ombudsman - Coalition of Alternate Breakfast Meats

I'm about to embark on running coolant pipes for a project and I was thinking fence posts.  Thoughts?

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:

I'm about to embark on running coolant pipes for a project and I was thinking fence posts.  Thoughts?

You're way overbuilding this.  Just duct tape a bunch of Pringles cans together and you're solid.

just make sure you run it by the evil one before you redo frame horns. those are OE crush structures and they are supposed to be unmodified to meet tech rules.

cheseroo wrote:

My Jaguar had a coolant pipe/fuel warmer that ran under the radiator. I ditched it and replaced it with a section of fence post. Worked just fine for the 116 laps we completed.

Coolant lines = PVC pipe?

Or go copper and shine them all up for tech inspection.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

i've wondered about PVC in that duty

it can handle the pressure, it can handle the temps....but i dunno if it could handle the pressure AND the temps.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

Possible donor?

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/3445362921.html

She sounds like Elmer Fudd sitting on a juicer...

psychoboy wrote:

it can handle the pressure, it can handle the temps....but i dunno if it could handle the pressure AND the temps.

I'd be more worried about handling any kind of vibratory stress, and of course it is very non-impact resistant. PVC is not intended for non-stationary uses, generally.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:
psychoboy wrote:

I'd be more worried about handling any kind of vibratory stress, and of course it is very non-impact resistant. PVC is not intended for non-stationary uses, generally.

And when it fails, it shatters.   This is why it should NEVER be used for compressed air applications.   Also, when it is exposed to sunlight, it grows weaker and more brittle over time.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

DukeOfUndersteer wrote:

Possible donor?

That could be a fun donor. The 2zz can run a supercharger and it shouldn't be too hard to find a manual transmission for it. You'd want one for the 3d gen MR2 so that you have the shift forks on the right side of the transmission.

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:
DukeOfUndersteer wrote:

Possible donor?

That could be a fun donor. The 2zz can run a supercharger and it shouldn't be too hard to find a manual transmission for it. You'd want one for the 3d gen MR2 so that you have the shift forks on the right side of the transmission.

Funny enough, you could also get the 2zz-get from the matrix xrs or Pontiac vibe gt, both get the 6-speed.  Having owned a vibe gt, the 5-speed from the 1zz would be a better fit for Lemons (the 6 has gears too close to each other) and the 5-speed from the 1zz should bolt up to the 2zz as well.

#59 Team Tinworm - 2012 Arse Sweat - Humber Super Snipe (IOE)
#140 OMG Racing - 5 time loser and counting
Winner of 2013 Sonoma Marin County Dot Com Bomb Regional Trophy

Yeah, plus 1ZZ cars are probably easier to find since you can dip into the Prizm/Vibe/Matrix(XR) and Corolla CE/LE/S models, of which there were a ton more than the Vibe GT and Matrix XRS. Getting the 2zz motor and the C59 transmission would be a pretty slick combo if you could find them at reasonable LeMony prices. That was the hitch when I was thinking of that engine combo for the SIMCA -- I couldn't find an affordable 2zz.

68 (edited by plane 2012-12-01 12:23 PM)

I recommend the Fiero/FWD GM idea.  Fiero is just a Chevette turned backwards.  Lots of cheap parts and easy to fit in anything with a blow torch.  Only issue would be the right axle lengths as I guess the Furrary has a wider wheel base.

Love Hoontastic's opinion that the V6 is "peppy."  In the 2.8l version it is heavy 115hp POS meant for fuel economy and small trucks.  I think they took it up to 3.4l or 3.8l plus real computer programing, cams etc. But the Fiero version puts out less power than my Miata which only weighs 2200lbs.

Actually an early  fiero is  a citation pushing a car, the later ones were more like a celebrity pushing a car.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

definitely needs VTEC
http://dempseybowling.com/posts/vtec.jpg

If it moves and shouldn't, use Duct Tape.
If it should move and doesn't, use WD-40.
If those don't work, its BROKE!

With the roof rusted that badly I have to wonder about the rest of the car. Is there anything left to bolt the motor to? Will the car fold up on you the first time you hit the brakes? You might want to make sure you have some cage under you.

m610 wrote:

With the roof rusted that badly I have to wonder about the rest of the car. Is there anything left to bolt the motor to? Will the car fold up on you the first time you hit the brakes? You might want to make sure you have some cage under you.

The 308 is body-on-spaceframe.  Pretty stout tubing.  The car would have to be sitting at the bottom of the ocean for a while for that frame to see serious damage... but given the looks of this example...

This car reminds me of a barn find late 70's Countach I saw pics of, the complete drivetrain was removed and the back of the car was up on blocks for like a million years.  You just wonder like man this car cost SOMEBODY so much damn money, how the hell did it end up like this?

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

There are so many good ideas here.  You have to Lemonize this Ferrari one way or another!

Also,

Rockford Brodie wrote:

I read

DukeOfUndersteer wrote:

Bob Stretch's Trans Am

As 'Bob's Stretch Trans Am'.  I guess I'm just seeing what I want to see.

http://www.firebirdgallery.com/2nd%20Gen%20Images/80ta12.jpg

Seeing is believing.

15x+ Loser, thinks he's a Real Racer(tm)
Rotaries are great, everyone should try them.

RogueLeader wrote:

This car reminds me of a barn find late 70's Countach I saw pics of, the complete drivetrain was removed and the back of the car was up on blocks for like a million years.  You just wonder like man this car cost SOMEBODY so much damn money, how the hell did it end up like this?

It cost a lot of money is probably why it ended up that way.  Someone bought it and though wow that was a lot of money and I bet someday it will be worth more as a collectible.  So they stuck it up on blocks in a barn and it say there and rotted away until it was worthless.  If they owner actually drove the car they would have enjoyed it and it might still be on the road.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page