Re: Engine swappers: I need engine advice for a '41 Plymouth road racer

It turns out the flathead six in the '41 turns freely and has clean oil. We're going to try to start it tomorrow. I won't be using it in this car, but it might live on in some other silly project.

Why only one engine?

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/0 … a-mr2olla/

A Northstar engine and drivetrain in each end would be very entertaining to watch fast on track.

http://www.ducttapemotorsports.com/
http://www.teamdfl.com
"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."
Prepping the Red wReck for the 24 Hours of Lemons

straight 6 manual trans with hella torque and huge aftermarket

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_L_engine

Judge Phil wrote:

It turns out the flathead six in the '41 turns freely and has clean oil. We're going to try to start it tomorrow. I won't be using it in this car, but it might live on in some other silly project.

we're still looking for a motor for the pinata....we're tired of blowing up miata motors.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

I say give the Flat 6 to an E30 team for there car ultimate Blackflag penalty

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

Reading your TTAC post, the engine that kept going over and over in my head was 2JZ.  Inline 6, super reliable, overbuilt, decent power non-boosted and insane power boosted.  I don't know how it fits into your budget with a manual, but I've bought whole slushbox cars with 2JZ's in them for $1500 and they part out - minus engine - for more than $1500 no problem.  Lexus GS300 and SC300's are worth next to nothing with damage but their parts still sell for eBay gold.  If you end up with a free engine and wiring harness and ECU it can't be that hard to scare up a compatible 5- or 6-speed for less than $1000.  Can it?

Just a little bit different suggestion.. based on my current obsession.. [I think working on that 3uz has me anti-4ohc-v8 forever]

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

33 (edited by psychoboy 2012-11-30 08:02 AM)

after realizing the inline 6 was stock, i'm putting my link back up.

http://www.6066gmcguy.org/TwinSix.htm

sure, it's low RPM motor, but with the right gearing you should be able to torque your way out of any corner.

275 hp, 630 ft/lb

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

I am seriously considering 2JZs, because I love the idea of enraging the Mopar Jihad and the boost potential would work well for a Pikes Peak run. Also thinking about the Nissan RB25DET-- you can get complete low-mile Skyline R33 engine/trans/ECU/harness setups shipped for $2500. Only 245 horses to start with, but so many people have done so many stupid things with that engine that it's well understood how to get lots more power out of it.

Judge Phil wrote:

I am seriously considering 2JZs, because I love the idea of enraging the Mopar Jihad and the boost potential would work well for a Pikes Peak run. Also thinking about the Nissan RB25DET-- you can get complete low-mile Skyline R33 engine/trans/ECU/harness setups shipped for $2500. Only 245 horses to start with, but so many people have done so many stupid things with that engine that it's well understood how to get lots more power out of it.

Hell, there's a 2JZ in one of the 'yards near me ... but then it's a long way from Colorado.  Plus who knows why the surprisingly clean GS300 ended up in the yard in the first place.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

According to my Toyota-nut co-worker, he said if you're going 2JZ, he's get a non-turbo and then turbocharge it. Apparently the heads are better on the non-turbo.

He also has a friend with a GM 5.3L truck powered Fox Body with a T56 and it's stupid fast and was put together cheap.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

FJ40Jim wrote:

The cummins is sexy in it's frame distorting mass & power sort of way.
But the Atlas inline 6 from a trailblazer.bravada/9-7x is the way to go.  It's physicaly a little large to fit in most cars, but will fit in this hood just fine.
All aluminum, 300HP stock.  More power with a chip.  Much mores with a turbo.

Though the 6 was not available w/ a manual, the manual trans (NV3500) from the modular 5 & 4cyl atlas engines will bolt up.

GM EFI architecture is easily reflashed to ignore the loss of auto trans, catalysts, rear O2 sensors, VSS, etc.

I have a Colorado with a 5 speed, its an Aisin Warner unit, not the New Venture, same unit used in the Solstice and Sky roadsters with a different tail/shifter. Whne GM was developing the Colorado they basically just reverse engineered a last generation Toyota Tacoma.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aisin_AR5_transmission

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

38 (edited by DC Doug 2012-11-30 08:03 PM)

Want some double-takes, Phil?  The turbocharged I4 Ecotec 2.0L puts out 260hp and can get to 290hp/340ft-lbs with the factory chip option OR a decently reliable 400+ rwhp with an aftermarket chip.  So sayeth Schumacher Rob who tracks a Solstice GXP.

See Ecotec Gen II... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Family_II_engine

DOO EET!

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

Go to www.copart.com  it's where  the cars go from body shop

I have a couple dealer buddies that will bid on them $200 charge

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

I smell win.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Speedycop wrote:

I smell bribe opportunities

Fixed that for you Speedy...A100 Dodge, LS400, and EG Civic parts have been mostly acquired at this point, the Chief Justice needs a new project to accept "appreciation" from like minded teams.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

1993 2500 Cheyenne 5.7L, 2x4, manual, 130k miles - $900 (Evergreen)

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/3439329211.html

Lexus sc300 Rare 5spd manual - $3000 (Colorado)

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/3403176341.html

DC Doug wrote:

Want some double-takes, Phil?  The turbocharged I4 Ecotec 2.0L puts out 260hp and can get to 290hp/340ft-lbs with the factory chip option OR a decently reliable 400+ rwhp with an aftermarket chip.  So sayeth Schumacher Rob who tracks a Solstice GXP.

See Ecotec Gen II... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Family_II_engine

DOO EET!

I can't find it listed in the catalog now, but when I worked at the Chevy dealership the GM Performance catalog listed all sorts of go fast goodies for Ecotec engines, including a crankshaft that was supposed to be good up to 1000HP!

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

Judge Phil wrote:
Drdanteiii wrote:

It comes down to this:  Are you building it to be driven more like a dodge dakota pickup or a camaro?

In other words, do I plan to haul barrels of red phosphorus to my meth lab or run over pedestrians while doing Jack Daniels-enhanced donuts in the Circle K parking lot? Tough call!

Which one of those is the Dakota, and which is the Camaro?

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

mwe_14 wrote:

Lexus sc300 Rare 5spd manual - $3000 (Colorado)

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/3403176341.html

We just bought one of these that looks almost exactly the same down to the color and the dents. Ours has only 225K miles on it and the interior is trashed. Now that we've won with an Alfa we want the challenge of trying to do well with a blow upitty motor made by Toyota.

Wes Conklin
Team California Mille
2007 Eyetalian Class Champions
20+ races and still going strong, Finally won one. Pacific Northworst Winner 2012.

Judge Phil wrote:

Also thinking about the Nissan RB25DET-- you can get complete low-mile Skyline R33 engine/trans/ECU/harness setups shipped for $2500. Only 245 horses to start with, but so many people have done so many stupid things with that engine that it's well understood how to get lots more power out of it.

I was going to recommend that over the L20, but we don't see that crazy kind of stuff in Oklahoma.

I think it's going to be the Chrysler 5.9 Magnum with a T-56 or TR-3550 using an adapter bellhousing. I'll add turbocharging when it's time to climb up Pikes Peak.

Supercharge the inline 6.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

I have a turbo from a Mercedes diesel 3.0.

This space for rent.