Re: Let the games begin - Who wants the NSF K Car?

DC Doug wrote:
cpchampion wrote:

Thanks, Brandon. Let me know if you have any excess drivers I can move onto the Kcar roster.

Brandon never has 'excess' drivers, only deficit of prepared race cars.

i wish that was the case, seems hard these days to find drivers.

the Syndicate - 30 losses and counting ...
89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

The Super K refused to come off the track

This space for rent.

Quick debriefing and advice for the next team: keep oil, tranny fluid, and gas in the K-car, use good synthetic 5w-40 or 0w-40, change drivers every half-hour, don't rev the crap out of it, and other than an occasional blown-up fuel pump or something equally stupid, it'll run all friggin day. Cut even more weight if you can, there's way too much metal in it. Keep the motor as close to stock as possible. Hope and check - every time we had a problem was because we didn't check SOMETHING before sending the next driver out.

Also, please replace the battery bracket with something the same size, but steel. It's borderline unsafe.

Bob or Ron, any idea where the O2 sensor wire went? I couldn't find the harness end of it.

K Car Stalker

firegremlin wrote:

Quick debriefing and advice for the next team: keep oil, tranny fluid, and gas in the K-car, use good synthetic 5w-40 or 0w-40, change drivers every half-hour, don't rev the crap out of it, and other than an occasional blown-up fuel pump or something equally stupid, it'll run all friggin day. Cut even more weight if you can, there's way too much metal in it. Keep the motor as close to stock as possible. Hope and check - every time we had a problem was because we didn't check SOMETHING before sending the next driver out.

Also, please replace the battery bracket with something the same size, but steel. It's borderline unsafe.

Bob or Ron, any idea where the O2 sensor wire went? I couldn't find the harness end of it.

Thanks for all the advise. Now that we're on the clock I'm really starting to wonder what I'm getting into.

yukadas wrote:

I haven't been watching the forums for a couple days...

Albert, what in the hell have you gotten yourself into?

You know that WTR will help you if we can.  You've got my email address and sympathy.

Apparently some people already knew......

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

305 (edited by Omnilith 2013-04-08 09:05 AM)

We now have nine races on our 2.5L in our Caravan, and eleven successful races on both cars with common-block (89+) 2.5L motors.

1) Run 20w50.. we use Brad Penn.
2) Shift at 5000 or less
3) Top off oil at every driver change. We consume 1/2 qt in two hours.
4) Do not overfill or oil will aerate and lifters will collapse.
5) If you collapse the lifters, start driving gently and shift at 4000 or less.
6) If you rebuild the engine, don't remove the oil restrictor from the oil feed to the head, or else it'll pool in the head instead of the pan where it belongs.
7) If you use a 2.5L, remove the balance shafts, but don't forget to plug the feed hole.

Junkyard lego items to help:
1) Turbo valve springs are stronger, more resistant to your stupidity.
2) 2.2L common block oil pan is much more resistant to oil starvation.
3) Turbo valve covers have a baffle that doesn't blast as much oil out the PCV hole into your catch can (or airbox)
4) Use a roller cam and rockers... one less thing to worry about needing quality lubrication.

Lorin Mueller
Scuderia Asino formerly Team Haulin' Ass - 83 Plymouth Scamp
Team Soccer Moms - 93 Dodge Caravan

Aaaaaa I wouldn't run 50-weight oil. Way too thick. Porsche even changed the spec on the 924 Turbo, which used to require 15w50 - 0w-40 is better for it, despite the relatively large clearances. You want oil that flows well, yet retains a good strong film - the quality is more important than weight. Heck, you can probably get away with racing a really good 5w-30 oil.

K-car certainly needs a PCV baffle. Lots of oil lost there.

It needs more front weight loss. Remove the dash and take out all the extra crap under it - fan, heater core, condenser, etc. As it sits now, it's too low, so camber gain isn't optimal. a hundred pounds or so off the nose would do it well. Maybe remove the crash bars in the doors? Spend a day looking at it, and cut everything you don't need to actually race or drive it.

Oh, and let me know if the front license plate made it into the car. Don't forget, it's registered and insured - test-drive it on the street as much as you can. Registration is in the glove compartment. Don't kill anyone with it, please smile

K Car Stalker

firegremlin wrote:

Aaaaaa I wouldn't run 50-weight oil. Way too thick. Porsche even changed the spec on the 924 Turbo, which used to require 15w50 - 0w-40 is better for it, despite the relatively large clearances. You want oil that flows well, yet retains a good strong film - the quality is more important than weight. Heck, you can probably get away with racing a really good 5w-30 oil.

K-car certainly needs a PCV baffle. Lots of oil lost there.

It needs more front weight loss. Remove the dash and take out all the extra crap under it - fan, heater core, condenser, etc. As it sits now, it's too low, so camber gain isn't optimal. a hundred pounds or so off the nose would do it well. Maybe remove the crash bars in the doors? Spend a day looking at it, and cut everything you don't need to actually race or drive it.

Oh, and let me know if the front license plate made it into the car. Don't forget, it's registered and insured - test-drive it on the street as much as you can. Registration is in the glove compartment. Don't kill anyone with it, please smile

Just went to clean some stuff out, and realized there was a fuel jug left in the car. I'm not sure how it didn't get noticed when the dozen of us were loading things into the car, but I'm pretty sure it's one of your jugs... definitely not intentional on our part. it's a bit large to ship, but I'll try getting it back to you ASAP, but if you're looking for adventure, I'm taking the Simca to Carlisle, PA for the import/kit nationals next month. we can park in the "racecar" section together.

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

firegremlin wrote:

Aaaaaa I wouldn't run 50-weight oil. Way too thick.

Eleven races. Chrysler K-motor. No engine failures. Just saying. smile

Lorin Mueller
Scuderia Asino formerly Team Haulin' Ass - 83 Plymouth Scamp
Team Soccer Moms - 93 Dodge Caravan

That is great. 

11 races on 1 engine.  ** Wow!**

You guys must drive like pussies. smile

This space for rent.

Make sure someone gets photos of the key handoff, once it gets to its next owners.

1 race. Assembled-overnight high-mile 2.2 frankenmotor that runs like a beat-up old donkey. A couple hotshot drivers who tried to rev the life out of it. First K-car race that didn't lose an engine. big_smile

BTW, our oil pan was dented in so to be safe I ran it way over full, and it was ok. Maybe heavy oil foams easier?...

Anyway, I'm sure weight doesn't matter too much. It has to be synth, or you need an oil cooler. That motor gets oil HOT HOT HOT if you drive it hard - I still have burns from wiping the oil off the dipstick with my fingers.

Just went to clean some stuff out, and realized there was a fuel jug left in the car.

We have plenty of spares - write "SPUTNIK" and draw a hammer and sickle on it with a permanent marker, and make sure it gets passed along with the car after you're done with it. It'll get to us eventually.

K Car Stalker

Judge Phil wrote:

Make sure someone gets photos of the key handoff, once it gets to its next owners.

Speaking of which, can you post the handoff video (or a single frame out of it) in the team pics thread?

K Car Stalker

Omnilith wrote:
firegremlin wrote:

Aaaaaa I wouldn't run 50-weight oil. Way too thick.

Eleven races. Chrysler K-motor. No engine failures. Just saying. smile

GO AMERICA!!!

OK, here is all the usable K-Car video I got at Monticello. Key handoff included.

The Super K did great and overall I think it spent more on track time than we did, mainly since we showed up not ready and finished ours in the pits.  We got on track 3 hours late.  In those three hours many laps are turned, we did finish up 97th though.

Being consistent does have it's blessings.

What about a 2.2 Turbo from a first gen van.  We had one when I worked at the local FBO for hauling out students to Piper 150's.

Turbo 2.2's are all MPFI and require a different ECU, harness, and fuel pump.

That said, the car DOES need a fuel pump, most likely.

Still, I'd just leave it stock or run a 5-speed and an aftermarket rev-limiter set to ~4500 rpm. With decent tires and enough weight loss this car can really shine. Even on 225-wide all-seasons I felt like I could take turns at least as fast as half the field. Giving it more power will require real racing pads, and that kinda takes away from the experience.

K Car Stalker

With regards to D-shaped "P to tow" tires, there is one 225-wide tire already on a rim, and another tire that isn't - mount the other tire and you have four good 225-wide tires. WORLD of difference.

One of the 195-wide tires was made in 94. Do them a big favor and take them to your friendly neighborhood recycling center. Get a couple more 225-wide performance all-seasons and feel like a winner.

K Car Stalker

they're actually 215s, but good to know there were more "new" tires that got loaded.

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

yukadas wrote:

DC Doug,

Are you coming along to Gingerman with Speedy?

Unfortunately no.  Now that I'm in Florida those midwest races are less and less likely for me.

cpchampion wrote:
DC Doug wrote:
cpchampion wrote:

Thanks, Brandon. Let me know if you have any excess drivers I can move onto the Kcar roster.

Brandon never has 'excess' drivers, only deficit of prepared race cars.

Well since the Passat wiring freaked out in December I've been in the same situation once myself.
Anyway, feel like coming over to ECR, Doug?

While I love me some Tetanus and ECR, I probably will not be able to for this round.

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

DC Doug wrote:

Unfortunately no.  Now that I'm in Florida those midwest races are less and less likely for me.

So DC Doug is now Florida Doug? We're gonna miss you up here.

tSoG is bringing the car Saturday and we have 5 days to work on it. From what I hear this is what we need to work on:

New oil pan
Add an oil cooler
Fix oil leaks
New fuel pump
New battery tray
New tow hooks
Remove weight
Change from Ignition Key to push to start button

Should be a busy few days. Am I missing anything?

cabinboy wrote:

Yes, a huge-diameter tube header and a great big overkill carburetor.

Oh yeah, and video of the handoff of the K-Car keys.

Since tSoG is actually driving for us doesn't that make your video of the handoff at Monticello the official handoff video? I'll make sure we take pictures. I don't have a video camera.

cabinboy wrote:

Since tSoG is actually driving for us doesn't that make your video of the handoff at Monticello the official handoff video? I'll make sure we take pictures. I don't have a video camera.

Be sure to get a homeless person or a priest or some random cop mounted on a horse...  Make it interesting, and borderline criminal.

This space for rent.

If tSoG is driving, then the handoff video I shot will work. I thought he was just delivering that fine piece of American automotive pride.

Judge Phil wrote:
cabinboy wrote:

Yes, a huge-diameter tube header and a great big overkill carburetor.

Oh yeah, and video of the handoff of the K-Car keys.

If someone has a spare Holley I am sure we can fab something up smile

http://i45.tinypic.com/ogc5kk.jpg

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019