Re: New Texas Team officially started build on Friday Nov 13 2009

So.... what happened? Saw that you guys were paid up and everything, but then didn't show up for the race? Everything ok?

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

77 (edited by mikespeed95 2010-02-22 02:10 AM)

Our fabrication/wiring guy got.....not done.

i did drive it for the 1st time today, straight onto the trailer around 7pm, with the rollcage still not 100% done.

kinda stinks, but we'll try to make it back out, straight eating $1000 sucks though a lot. :-/

I'll send you a video/pics tomorrow, and either way our weekend woulda sucked, because summit sent the wrong brake pads, so we had some like bare metal mystery pads for the front, which wouldn't have turned out well.  I came out for about an hour on saturday to ask Dan (i think?) some questions reguarding rollcage stuff that our Derrick wanted to check on.....after the race had started and the cage still wasn't done...

We'll be at the next one nearby, we would go to no problem but since i have to payback my freind Wade since I offered him a running/driving car we didn't have that kinda kills New Orleans, but we'll figure it out.  Woulda hung out at the track more but we still ha to finish the car, which mostly it is, and I'll be able to finish it at my shop, the last couple bars are straight, so I don't need the bender i can knock out, as well as a couple other things that had to wait on the cage.

Mike Peters
Former rotary brat pioneer.
3.17.08 Jalopnik Hoon of the day.  #hasbeen
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

Sorry to hear that, I think you were up in control near the end of the day on Saturday when I was in there retrieving the timing/scoring lists to tape up. Sorry that your car didn't get done. That sucks. I guess that's one guy you will be kicking to the curb. Hope to see you at Eagles Canyon then.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I was looking forward to seeing the Brat out there.

These builds are not for the faint of heart.  Especially one as over the top as yours.

For all the guys that think an E30 build is some walk in the park, I challenge them to actually do one.

Getting a cage through tech is no small feet either.  Plenty of teams have to make changes to their cages to pass tech.

An Autopower cage is not even an automatic pass.

Good luck, hope to see the Brat soon.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Derrick's still on, his work is awesome, and although a majority of the stuff was his fabwork, we did get kinda screwed on some other things.  the brake pads, rockauto forgot to ship some stuff, the man on the tollway was a lady, stuff like that.

We all failed getting our stuff together, which sucks, especially when you're driving it onto the trailer about the time the event is wrapping up, after sleeping in a shop for 4 days straight, but theres always the next event.

Mike Peters
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

You know... if the judges had a heart they would allow a credit for the next event you attend. Considering you paid for a product not utilized. There is grounds for a potential civil suit.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

82 (edited by mikespeed95 2010-02-22 11:55 PM)

Oh man, I've been taking a lot of law classes lately at school and we always try to come up with how to win dumb cases just to know the law, that would be a dumb case.

Credit would be like uber cool, but bottom line is we failed to get our stuff together, and paid for a spot that we didn't use, that unfortunately kept someone who probably had their ducks in a row from having a fun weekend.  I'm uploading some pics/video of the brat now that its actually mostly done, and runs/drives.  and before anyone is like "is that your theme/where are the jumpseats" again, its still nowhere near done with alllll the fun stuff, I just got sick of it after midday saturday and realized we had a snowballs chance in hell of getting it done with all the fabrication work left, which is done now, and Derrick did an amazing job on all the stuff, although his time management could definitely use a little work, but nobody is perfect, so fair enough.

Heres a vid of it driving onto trailer, still has a lot of vacuum leaks and won't start without a little help.  all the smoke is premix and other crap, and the engine runs like crap.
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php … 0059974924

I don't think myself or Derrick had ever been so unenthusiastic about the first drive on a car, we both basically lived at his little shop with one couch, a sink, my diesel heater occasionally and a bunch of cardboard boxes to sleep on for about 4 days straight, with one shower, really sucked towards the end of tryign to get it together, and we didn't feel like doing much except driving it onto the trailer.

and heres the latest batch of photos
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?page= … 8649057608

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs109.snc3/15707_311556957608_178649057608_2937325_1463932_n.jpg

Mike Peters

You could go on judge judy... jonny and mur can wear their robes and wigs.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

84 (edited by drz 2010-02-23 08:23 AM)

Mike, can't we keep personal dramas off the internet??.?.?

What Mike means to say is we've had a lot of fun building something way over the top, but we're both full-time students with other priorities that crushed our schedule to the last minute - and beyond.  We didn't make the race which is disappointing, but we'll be at future Lemons races, and track days, autocrosses, and drift evens too for as long as we can still keep the alignment square.  The Lemons concept has provided us the inspiration to build a race car we (as college students) can afford, and exercise the creativity/fun flare we've had pent up since putting aside racing for school.

At least we'll now have the time to work the bugs out before the next race instead of during it.  Budget is strained with repaying our 3rd and 4th drivers their entry fees, so the next Lemons is up in the air right now without a credit, but we'll manage to get this heap out there eventually!

Derrick

Derrick

drz wrote:

Mike, can't we keep personal dramas off the internet??.?.?

What Mike means to say is we've had a lot of fun building something way over the top, but we're both full-time students with other priorities that crushed our schedule to the last minute - and beyond.  We didn't make the race which is disappointing, but we'll be at future Lemons races, and track days, autocrosses, and drift evens too for as long as we can still keep the alignment square.  The Lemons concept has provided us the inspiration to build a race car we (as college students) can afford, and exercise the creativity/fun flare we've had pent up since putting aside racing for school.

At least we'll now have the time to work the bugs out before the next race instead of during it.  Budget is strained with repaying our 3rd and 4th drivers their entry fees, so the next Lemons is up in the air right now without a credit, but we'll manage to get this heap out there eventually!

Derrick

He complimented you in the same breath... focus on the positive... you'll need it for Lemons.

Sons of STIG

I feel dramatic posting this, but I think saying we failed and last weekend sucked is pretty drama-free and true.

I will say after sleeping and getting back to feeling semi-normal, i can't wait to drive the thing somewhere, last weekend totally killed my enthusiasm for anything associated with this car for obvious reasons, I'll unload it from the trailer thursday, its too friggin cold right now, and some more pics/stuff will be up.

Mike Peters

ok, so i just drove this thing around the warehouse parking lot my shop is at, and i cant WAIT to drive our ghetto-engineered comglomoration of junk cars at the next Lemons race, and we're totally taking it to some local drift events too.

ill take some pics/vids tomorrow, this thing is wayyyy too much fun, especialy for sub $500 car.

Mike Peters

So I've got to say, this whole Lemons thing is way fun.  Sometimes when you're working on stuff, it can get frustrating/boring/monotonous. 

Then theres Lemons. 

So I needed to finish/start the exhaust, and I thought to myself gee how should I route this..no..what is the most possible ghetto way to do this.

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs422.snc3/24380_317479392608_178649057608_2955178_8208270_n.jpg

Hey, I remember these, they were getting thrown away at the dodge store...man those are some nice step up bars.

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs422.snc3/24380_317479372608_178649057608_2955177_8275547_n.jpg

Wow those are the $500 ones we sell to customers with new trucks, fannnncy.

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs422.snc3/24380_317479362608_178649057608_2955176_3519356_n.jpg
http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs402.snc3/24380_317479412608_178649057608_2955179_6098325_n.jpg

YAY free exhaust tubing!!!

more soon, building this car makes me happy.  My camera was dead but we'll have some pics/vids up of Texas's craziest LeMon's car and 1st RWD Drift Subaru/Cheapest Drift car ever this weekend.

Mike Peters

Riktor wrote:

You know... if the judges had a heart they would allow a credit for the next event you attend.

The judges have no say on such matters. The Chief Perp, with his cold granite heart, handles money issues.

mikespeed95 wrote:

So I've got to say, this whole Lemons thing is way fun.  Sometimes when you're working on stuff, it can get frustrating/boring/monotonous. 

Then theres Lemons. 

more soon, building this car makes me happy.  My camera was dead but we'll have some pics/vids up of Texas's craziest LeMon's car and 1st RWD Drift Subaru/Cheapest Drift car ever this weekend.

Doesn't it though?! From out teams personal view... we would have never entered our hybrid creation into any sanctioned racing event but Lemons just feels right.

MurileeMartin wrote:
Riktor wrote:

You know... if the judges had a heart they would allow a credit for the next event you attend.

The judges have no say on such matters. The Chief Perp, with his cold granite heart, handles money issues.

Influencial powers my friend... influential powers. He trusts you... I think.

Sons of STIG

I think all three of us who are the RITW team would have never taken on such an odd.........awesome project if it wasn't for Lemons.

I'm not going to ask for anything money wise, it'd really help us out as in-debt college kids but in all honesty we absolutely failed, took a spot someone else coulda used and had fun with, and thats my fault.

Anyways i got my camera charged so I'll try to snap some pics today of how it currently sits.

Mike Peters

mikespeed95 wrote:

I think all three of us who are the RITW team would have never taken on such an odd.........awesome project if it wasn't for Lemons.

I'm not going to ask for anything money wise, it'd really help us out as in-debt college kids but in all honesty we absolutely failed, took a spot someone else coulda used and had fun with, and thats my fault.

Anyways i got my camera charged so I'll try to snap some pics today of how it currently sits.

I can say that I don't usually get enthused about others projects but I love this one. Look forward to it...

Also with such an oddball mix you should be able to score GM and Subaru sponsors. Even small ones but make sure to market yourself. That extra $20 entry fee into a car show can net you $500+ in sponsorship money.

Sons of STIG

people sponsor Lemons cars?  hahaha.

Mike Peters

mikespeed95 wrote:

people sponsor Lemons cars?  hahaha.

The "WTF" response is almost as lucrative as the "WOW" response you get from real race cars.

Sons of STIG

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs519.snc3/27227_325544487608_178649057608_2979051_60015_n.jpg

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs519.snc3/27227_325544502608_178649057608_2979052_7221239_n.jpg

Interior/cage is allllllllllllllmost done.  Derrick came down last Sunday while I was studying for tests and got a good chunk done, and did an absolutely fabulous job on the top-notch cage we have, and its quite amazing that we still have plenty of headroom with the helmet in that tiiiiny little car.  I have to give him some serious props on the cage, the zip tie that holds the padding on didn't have enough room to come around because the boxed end of the ziptie was too big to fit between the top of the cab in the rear.  Props to him for that, and the cage looks pretty dang good too.  Got the helmet blower/radio mount up as well, switch panel, kill switches, now we're just harness mounts and a petty bar away from being done with the interior.

Derrick also messed with the wiring and got it to where it starts on its own, but we still have a vacuum leak we've overlooked somewhere.  I'm going to mess with it a little tomorrow, but I've got some other things lined up to work on at the shop, and i'd like to work on Ls1 car a little bit too, and clean the shop, it looks terrible.

We're hoping to take it to Mineral wells to drift or Texas A&M Sports Car Club Autocross in College Station this weekend, and next weekend theres an amateur ghymkhana/drift event in Angleton, so hopefully we can get two events on it within two weeks.

Still have a LOT of little stuff to go, luckily I took 2 Mid-Terms today, and turned in two big projects, so life calms down a little, and I think Derrick is caught back up to, and Wade is chugging a long with his real estate in San Antonio.

We'll have more updates later this week, and hopefully my camera will work again.

Mike Peters

I agree with Riktor.  I think this is my favorite build so far.  There have been many cool ones including the MetroGnome and Honda 600, but the BRAT is sweet.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

97 (edited by mikespeed95 2010-03-08 02:50 AM)

So Derrick and I've been working on it, and I'm happy to say for the most part, it's done.

So I called my landlord, because he's pretty dang cool, and just straight asked "Can we test out the car in the parking lot?"  He knows exactly what that means, and he said "yep, just don't do burnouts and tear up the pavement."  It's pretty awesome when your landlord has seen your drifting stuff in the shop, and thinks its hella-cool.

Sweeeeet!!

Still needs some work, and all my camera's need new batteries (thus the lack of media lately) so we've been using my phone.

Heres a recap of what is going on:

1980 Subaru Brat
with:
-1987 Rx7 Engine/Tranny/Brakes
-1981 Rx7 solid rear axle
-90 Miata front suspension/springs/shocks.
-Lots of crappy welds, sheetmetal from Nissans/guardrails/scrap piles/scissor jacks/trunk hinges/Step-up bars off of a truck, and things of the like used for combining all of these vehicles
-Tractor Supply Company 2 stroke mix

Youtube Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ-Tfs9pykU

Our build-up album can be found on our Facebook Fanpage here:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 … 8649057608

I'll be updating everything throughout the week as well as working on it some more and ordering batteries from my camera.

We're thinking we'll be going to a ghymkhana next weekend in Angleton, we just want to get it somewhere we can really beat on it without having to worry about getting in too much trouble.

Mike Peters

http://therustinthewind.com/wordpress/

We're headed to the track!! come hang out!!

http://fabricatedmotorsports.com/images/GSS.3.28.2010.jpg

Pretty stoked, car seems to be pretty dialed in since Derrick's been messing with it.

Mike Peters

Pictures are worth a thousand words, but sometimes they just make you speechless.

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs456.snc3/26093_366334092608_178649057608_3109645_4518480_n.jpg

Lemons cars..."What could go wrong"

More @ Http://www.TheRustintheWind.com  & our Facebook Fanpage

Mike Peters

i broke my hand but brat works and drifts awesome derricks gonna update the site

heres some craapy vids that popped up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QfFJtYydck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWpEDcMTxm8

5 sessions without a hickup and then something broke but it wont be fun without video to tell because youll want video because it was cool/funny.  what could go wrong?

Mike Peters