Re: Thunderhill speeds

MurileeMartin wrote:
dtfastbear wrote:

Buttonwillow has higher speed sections (into the bus stop and through riverside up to lost hills) than Thunderhill.  I thought the drivers at Buttonwillow did a GREAT job of cooperation with just a very few exceptions.  I think the 928 and the V8olvo are two of the "faster" cars out there, and with completely open track (meaning full exit speeds from T6, T11 and T15) we weren't seeing more than 110.  We were 7-8 seconds slower than a fast spec miata.

Now, that being said, it is VERY VERY VERY easy to enter T8 and T1 with way too much speed, so please work your way up to reasonable speeds there for the intersection of you and your car's capabilities.

Listen to this guy, racers. He definitely knows his way around Thunderhill.

Sure Lemons cars aren't the most powerful race cars out there...but most have more than enough HP to get you in trouble quick....watch this video from about 1:35 to 1:40.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qptfVecjKwc   

I would estimate the turn in speed at about 100mph..this driver saved the slide and managed to continue on to an excellent lap time.....BUT thats running an ideal line with maybe 10 cars on the whole track....add another 140 to the track and its doubtful you will EVER get a clean lap...

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Me thinks all previous LeMon winning cars should be hit with some automatic BS laps, since they are alrady proven winners, Jay and co. should make it easier for a new first time winning car.

Lets see... V-12, 4 speed auto,265 diff gearing and 4800 lbs. I am thinking medium to scary speeds with a high chance of exiting T-1 into the grass and up the hill and over the top Dukes of Hazard style with brakes on fire. OK! i am in for sure!

The Flying Pendejo

29 (edited by New Here 2009-11-18 09:10 AM)

Just received Nick's email indicating No Chicanes at Thunderhill. 
Not sure that's a good idea . . . .  W/out chicanes on the straight-aways, speeds will easily pass 100 mph.

- Our Cars are not up to the task:
By the nature of our race, our cars are Lemons - junkers at the end of their lives, with lots of missing & worn out parts.  Asking these cars to regularly exceed 100mph is asking for trouble. 
And to exacerbate the problem, odd ball decorations and getto engineered additions are encouraged.  That homebuilt wing or bizarre train car atop a clunker may be able to withstand a 60mph wind, but the stresses go up exponentially with speed.  And failure will occur at the worst possible time, when our junk cars are at their top speed and least able to avoid that surf board flying thru the air or littering the track.

- Our Drivers are not up to the task:
Our drivers are, for the most part, complete amateurs - most will have never driven over 100mph in their lives.  The higher speeds possible w/out chicanes will demand driving skills and experience our racers don't have. 

- Many drivers prefer slower speeds:
Our team has been with Lemons since the beginning at Altamont.  One of the features that initially attracted us were the slow speeds and minimal skills reqd.  W/ the closure of Altamont, some of our drivers have expressed some discomfort w/ the higher speeds possible at the ‘real’ tracks we now run. 
For this race, our team came up two drivers short.  Hence, I contacted many potential replacements, and a frequent question was ‘How fast do these junk cars go?’  The safety of driving junk cars at hi speeds was a concern for many.

- Higher speeds are not good for the organizer:
I am, by day, a probate attorney.  Hence, higher speeds might actually be good for my business.  But they may not be for Jay.  I can easily imagine one of those personal injury vulture attorneys grilling Jay over the lack of chicanes. True, we all sign Waivers and assume the risk of driving junk heaps.  But who needs the grief of dealing with those jerks?

We will, of course, be racing, chicanes or no chicanes.  But I would think our sport and the Lemons series will best be served by keeping our speeds slow.

John Gottes

#9  Group of Fools

[sarcasm]

I'm on edge awaiting his response!

[/sarcasm]

FYI, Nelson Ledges had no chicane on the back straight and speeds hit around 110mph.  No cars burst into flames, nobody cartwheeled into oblivion, and nobody whined that it was too dangerous.  Chicanes CAUSE dangerous situations, they don't eliminate them.  Nobody is forcing you to keep your foot to the floor.  Don't feel safe?  Back off to a comfortable speed.  As long as you make sure your car is reasonably sound and the brakes are good, you should be fine.  Drive at a speed you feel comfortable and don't break down.  The fastest car rarely wins anyway.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

John Gottes,

I gotta agree with Jeff that Chicanes cause more trouble than they save.  Granted, I have never been at Thunderhill but the races I have been in without chicanes seemed to go better than the races with them.

At the October race at MSR we had the largest field to date for a Lemons race and had less contact without the chicane than we did with one.  The most significant contact before happened going into the chicane.

If most of your drivers have been in Lemons since the first Altamont races, they should have experience.  If they've never driven over 100 MPH, they must be a bunch of choir boys.

Additionally, Chumpcar's first event seemed to go better once the cars blew away the chicane.

Like Jeff said, no one is forcing your foot on the gas pedal and no one is forcing you to race.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised how well the race goes without chicanes.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Dear Concerned:

We are part of a growing trend of "Moving Chicanes" that arrive at these races for one purpose. That is: to get our heaps up to the 80 mph that we hope the cars can sustain without actually shaking apart . So as "Moving Chicanes" we understand having non moving chicanes are actually a disadvantage for us as we would need to slow down, loose momentum, and actually cause us to shift into one of the other three gears that we normally don't use at the track. So we thank Jay for giving us a chance to see what our cars can do in 3rd gear, god forbid if we hit 4th gear, there would no stopping us and we might even have a chance to win. (once all the faster cars get black flagged for going 4 wheels off on turn 5 and 8)
Yours Truly Moving Chicane #04 big_smile

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

34 (edited by C.Plavan 2009-11-18 10:08 AM)

New Here wrote:

Just received Nick's email indicating No Chicanes at Thunderhill. 
Not sure that's a good idea . . . .  W/out chicanes on the straight-aways, speeds will easily pass 100 mph.

- Our Cars are not up to the task:
By the nature of our race, our cars are Lemons - junkers at the end of their lives, with lots of missing & worn out parts.  Asking these cars to regularly exceed 100mph is asking for trouble. 
And to exacerbate the problem, odd ball decorations and getto engineered additions are encouraged.  That homebuilt wing or bizarre train car atop a clunker may be able to withstand a 60mph wind, but the stresses go up exponentially with speed.  And failure will occur at the worst possible time, when our junk cars are at their top speed and least able to avoid that surf board flying thru the air or littering the track.

- Our Drivers are not up to the task:
Our drivers are, for the most part, complete amateurs - most will have never driven over 100mph in their lives.  The higher speeds possible w/out chicanes will demand driving skills and experience our racers don't have. 

- Many drivers prefer slower speeds:
Our team has been with Lemons since the beginning at Altamont.  One of the features that initially attracted us were the slow speeds and minimal skills reqd.  W/ the closure of Altamont, some of our drivers have expressed some discomfort w/ the higher speeds possible at the ‘real’ tracks we now run. 
For this race, our team came up two drivers short.  Hence, I contacted many potential replacements, and a frequent question was ‘How fast do these junk cars go?’  The safety of driving junk cars at hi speeds was a concern for many.

- Higher speeds are not good for the organizer:
I am, by day, a probate attorney.  Hence, higher speeds might actually be good for my business.  But they may not be for Jay.  I can easily imagine one of those personal injury vulture attorneys grilling Jay over the lack of chicanes. True, we all sign Waivers and assume the risk of driving junk heaps.  But who needs the grief of dealing with those jerks?

We will, of course, be racing, chicanes or no chicanes.  But I would think our sport and the Lemons series will best be served by keeping our speeds slow.

John Gottes

I Object!! I move for dismissal. 

Here are a few unsolicited points.
1. You threw the lawyer card- admitting your a lawyer and trying to scare organizers is an automatic 200 penalty laps off the bat.
2. I could not think of a better event for a lawyer to be driving over 100mph in a crap car.... (What car will you be in??? I think everyone wants to know now smile )
3. You are a Veteran Lemon Driver- You know the rules -No Whining.
4. Buttonwillow was fast, and no one was whining
5. If your two driver short team is scared that your "Unrestricted Safety Equipment Budget" to make your car safe is not up to task- you should stick to Miniature Golf Go Karts...... This is a Lemons race- It's not supposed to make sense. The safety equipment should trump the crappy cars- to make them "Safe" crappy cars in the event of an accident.

Remember this is all in fun.  No one is MAKING you race.

#E30 & #325i Mazda Mx-6 and turbo....14psi boost is a good thing right?
#114 1990 Mazda 323- Zoom-Zoom..Boom (Blah- too slow, but my first love)

I did  open track day with my car and was doing the same speed with or w/o chicane do to a small car factor .
But was 95 -100   

T8 is where a lot of passing will be happening ! 

I think its T10 or T11 is a turn that will mess a lot of people its an uphill blind crest !!!

BIGGEST TIP I CAN TELL IS WRITE INSIDE YOUR CAR AND STRESS THIS  ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS

"LOOK AT ALL THE CORNER WORKERS " 

THAT WILL HELP YOU NOT TO CRASH OR GET BLACKFLAGGED!

Also if you got some got stuck on your ass and you know he stressing you at let them pass Wave them on .Nothing worst than getting pushed aroun and then you off track or worse.

This track is like 40feet wide so people are going to pass everywhere .

JUST MY .02

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

Awwwwww Sh*t he said the L word...

37 (edited by C.Plavan 2009-11-18 10:09 AM)

Pendejo wrote:

Awwwwww Sh*t he said the L word...

I know- I'm picturing him handing out cards to everyone after every fender bender on course...... "Does your neck hurt????"
smile

#E30 & #325i Mazda Mx-6 and turbo....14psi boost is a good thing right?
#114 1990 Mazda 323- Zoom-Zoom..Boom (Blah- too slow, but my first love)

38 (edited by Evil Genius 2009-11-18 10:36 AM)

Most people have conscious control of their right foot, exercise that control and you'll be OK.   Watch your mirrors and drive at your own pace.

As Dean and I have already pointed out, the speeds at BW were higher.
  Now, if your right foot is possessed by an evil spirit, and it is therefore beyond your control..  Please, for the sake of all racing, have an exorcism performed. You only have two days left, not much time to find the correct Shaman to rid you of that demon!

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Lots of good information on the topic.  These items will be covered in the instruction class on Friday night.  See you there.

Evil Genius wrote:

Most people have conscious control of their right foot, exercise that control and you'll be OK.   Watch your mirrors and drive at your own pace.

As Dean and I have already pointed out, the speeds at BW were faster...   

Now, if your right foot is possessed by an evil spirit, and it is therefore beyond your control..  Please, for the sake of all racing, have an exorcism performed. You only have two days left, not much time to find the correct Shaman to rid you of that demon!

Those people usually end up in the dirt off T1 anyways at Thill..  pucker factor is pretty high smile

Slower speeds is a suggestion - Jay is free to take it or leave it.  I, & apparently a number of people here, don't mind the higher speeds.  But I think overall, keeping speeds under 100 would be a good idea. We are car #9 - Group of Foolz, & we are 2 drivers down for economic reasons - recession has hit a few people pretty hard.

#9  Group of Fools

New Here wrote:

Slower speeds is a suggestion - Jay is free to take it or leave it.  I, & apparently a number of people here, don't mind the higher speeds.  But I think overall, keeping speeds under 100 would be a good idea. We are car #9 - Group of Foolz, & we are 2 drivers down for economic reasons - recession has hit a few people pretty hard.

100 mph keeps being mentioned.    Most of the cars in the race will not reach that speed,  It takes a decent HP, good tires (for corner exit speeds), a clean track (not bloody likely with 160 cars) and good driver to reach those kind of speeds.  Yes, there are probably 20ish cars racing that can hit that speed with ease, and most of those are piloted by experienced drivers..    Just like at Buttonwillow.  The car tossed off at BW was such a car, driven by an experienced driver.  The outcome was a smashed car and no injuries...  at high speed.

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

C.Plavan wrote:

I Object!! I move for dismissal. 

Here are a few unsolicited points.
1. You threw the lawyer card- admitting your a lawyer and trying to scare organizers is an automatic 200 penalty laps off the bat.

Should be 2,000 penalty laps. Lawyers love raising the spectre of a nice juicy lawsuit. They can't help themselves. One of the nice things about Lemons is you can pit maneuver a lawyer and only get 30 mins with the Lemons Supreme Court if you're caught. I am not necessarily advocating it; I just like that it's possible.

The Sharks
Home of the E28 Turbo Tuner Fish and the Hammered Head 944 Turbo

Easy on the lawyers. I'm a product of two of them, including a CA deputy attorney general. So for starters, don't mess with me or I'll turn you over to Jerry Brown. He's hella crazy.

John's concerns are valid--as an amateur driver myself, Thunderhill is an intimidating place. But, as far as the chicane- or not-to-chicane debate, there are more variables at work than speed alone. If high speed automatically equaled unnecessary danger, we'd use chicanes every time--maximizing safety is out #1 priority. But, as mentioned, there are more variables, including:

1. Bottlenecks. Do you want to crash cars into each other at 80 mph or have them run more safely at 100?

2. Flow. At most tracks (including Thunderhill), the main straight runs alongside a hard pit wall. Depending on the width of the track, installing a chicane can force drivers to make a turn VERY close to the wall. Given the option between running cars in a straight line next to a wall and forcing them to make a turn, we decided it made more sense to keep things straight.

3. Cross traffic. At Thunderhill, the pit exit blends in at the most logical place for a chicane. Again, we decided to keep things moving in a straight line to prevent complication in the pit merge.

4. Speed. We ran a private test in our Lemons car with no chicanes, and the entry speed into Turn 1 was no different than it was at the last Thunderhill race with the chicane.

5. Visibility. You can see better without chicanes.

6. The damn lawyers. If there is an incident related to a chicane, then we're in hot water because we artificially created a situation that didn't exist in the basic layout of the track. If there's a compelling safety reason to run a chicane, that concern would be trumped--we felt that wasn't the case at Thunderhill.

Ultimately, the best we can do is consider all of those variables and make an honest assessment as to what's the most safe, based on my input (as an amateur driver), event manager Jeff's input (as a pro driver), and Jay's input (as the guy who's gonna get sued).

As you've noticed, this process resulted in: Full track, no chicanes. If you're not comfortable with the speeds, that's totally fine and understandable--go as fast as you feel safe doing.

45 (edited by trekkor 2009-11-18 12:36 PM)

Check your mirrors! Check your mirrors!

Expect to be passed out of Turns  1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 13 and 15...Every lap!

You do not have to wring out top speed at every opportunity.
Short shift. Stay 3rd and 4th gear.

No need to tach out 2nd gear out of turns 5, 11 and 14...Just go easy in 3rd.
Be smooth, consistent and save your car ( and brakes ). It's a long race.
Don't get black flagged in the first lap after green!

Slow in -fast out.
Fast in- out backwards!

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

I was regularly bonking the Cav off the 106-ish mph speed limiter going into 1 back in '07 after the chicane had been neutralized.

Now we don't have a speed limiter anymore, but I think that not having a chicane on the front straight is a definite plus. The crowding and last minute chicane dives were imo more hairball then the potential for screwing up 1.

No one has to 'see what this baby'll do' right from the off, and there are enough cars at the beginning that speeds will be moderate for a while. I guess I'd be most worried about a newbie team member going out in the afternoon when things have thinned out and thinking 'yeah, I can DO this!' and then cartwheeling off of 1/8. Hopefully those people will be at the Friday night meeting and get some useful hints.

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 143 races and counting.
2/25/24

X-args wrote:

I guess I'd be most worried about a newbie team member going out in the afternoon when things have thinned out and thinking 'yeah, I can DO this!' and then cartwheeling off of 1/8.

Not just for newbies, but EVERYONE goes through 1 thinking "dang! I could have gone through there faster!"

More than you can afford, pal. Daihatsu.
AFAP TH '09 - 95th
ASAP TH '10 - 34th - 1st Class C "Ugly"

trekkor wrote:

Check your mirrors! Check your mirrors!

Expect to be passed out of Turns  1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 13 and 15...Every lap!

You do not have to wring out top speed at every opportunity.
Short shift. Stay 3rd and 4th gear.

No need to tach out 2nd gear out of turns 5, 11 and 14...Just go easy in 3rd.
Be smooth, consistent and save your car ( and brakes ). It's a long race.
Don't get black flagged in the first lap after green!

Slow in -fast out.
Fast in- out backwards!

KT

With our V6 torque and new found manual gearbox I expect mostly 4th gear, since the torque is pretty much the same from 2200-6600. It should be good. That will let us not beat the car up as well... smooth is good!

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 143 races and counting.
2/25/24

MurileeMartin wrote:
FreeRange wrote:

Maybe we should have paid attention to the aerodynamics of our car for this race.  The windmill is going to LOVE it tho..

The Über Bird is going to OWN this track!

heh... you should see it with the wing on right now...

this car is epic (and I hate to use the word epic...)

Uberbird!

I've been at CMP and Ledges, and with no chicanes, I've seen much less accidents and contact and general asshattery. CMP 08 i swear that tire wall ATE at least 2 if not 3 E30s. in 09, none of that. i saw more people overcooking it into T1 and going off into the snake pit, no contact at all.

At Ledges, which i think most are saying has had the highest speeds thanks to the long backstraight, was the only race I've been to in Lemons where a car has NOT gone on it's roof. we did have one car come CLOSE though, but not far enough that they were told to hit the trailers.

My assessment; No chicanes FTW!