Re: Thunderhill speeds

I was hoping they were going to run the T5 bypass, but that ain't to be

ifb_mole wrote:

I was hoping they were going to run the T5 bypass, but that ain't to be

OK, now THAT is crazy!!  smile smile

I've come to love the bypass, but it is definitely a very technical turn that has an awful combination of being:

a) High Speed
b) Off camber after the crest (I like to call it the Landing Zone)
c) Blind
d) out of the direct line of sight of a turn worker station (I mean - the flag station isn't easy for drivers to see)

While I support the bypass for the 25 Hour, I'm pretty happy we aren't using it for the 24 Hour.

Now, that being said, the Cyclone (T5 over the top) is going to be a huge cluster f*&k bottleneck!

If running the full track sans chicanes is as successful as I think it is going to be, who's with me in campaigning for a Thunderhill Clockwise event in 2010??  Now THAT is a high speed track configuration.

Cheers,

Dean

who's with me in campaigning for a Thunderhill Clockwise event in 2010??

I am!

Clockwise is awesome.

Show the major air in your #72 car over the bypass!!

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

We should run it counter clock-wise on Saturday and clockwise on Sunday

Ding ding ding!!!!!!  We have a winner!!!!

I love this idea.

:stands and cheers:

Wow! Very cool!

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th

guys the "speed" of the track really doesn't matter that much.....its the skill (or lack therof) of the drivers that is the limiting factor.....  as others have said with 156 cars on track....there will be very few chances to hold full throttle for very long......I'd be willing to bet not one car can hit 100mph for the 1st hour due to traffic.....

drive within the limits of your ability and your cars ability.......stay under control and stay safe

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

58 (edited by ifb_mole 2009-11-19 01:38 PM)

I agree, the speeds will not be "too fast" since most realize this is an eduro and not a sprint.  Some concern is warrented for the person saying "should I, shouldn't I" when deciding to pass JUST before T1 or T8 entry.  Problems arise not from the speed per se, but people attempting ill-timed and STUPID passes in a 13 hr + race.  Just chill and make a clean, safe and easily seen-by-the-car-you're-passing, pass.  Turns 1 and 8 are not condusive to Lemons crap buckets running side-by-side through.  If a car is filling your mirrors waive them by - HAVE FUN.  Object is to have fun and then finish and then be concerned where you finish, but finishing even 100th place is better than a DNF (though 100th place may indeed be a DNF)  anyway then 75th is better than a DNF, esepecially a DNF for something that was avoidable (a stupid pass or overly taxing your crap bucket by trying to lower lap times)

ifb_mole wrote:

I agree, the speeds will not be "too fast" since most realize this is an eduro and not a sprint.  Some concern is warrented for the person saying "should I, shouldn't I" when deciding to pass JUST before T1 or T8 entry.  Problems arise not from the speed per se, but people attempting ill-timed and STUPID passes in a 13 hr + race.  Just chill and make a clean, safe and easily seen-by-the-car-you're-passing, pass.  Turns 1 and 8 are not condusive to Lemons crap buckets running side-by-side through.  If a car is filling your mirrors waive them by - HAVE FUN.  Object is to have fun and then finish and then be concerned where you finish, but finishing even 100th place is better than a DNF (though 100th place may indeed be a DNF)  anyway then 75th is better than a DNF, esepecially a DNF for something that was avoidable (a stupid pass or overly taxing your crap bucket by trying to lower lap times)

We keep telling guys this, but many can't absorb the message. You guys who keep coming into the Penalty Box for contact and whine about "this is RACING!" when asked why it happened, you'll find later that you passed the eventual winner many times during the race. That's right, the car that wins isn't the car that makes the most daring passes!

Forget the penalty laps for the lawyers. Just put a wood block under their gas pedals so that they don't hurt themselves. 20% throttle oughtta keep em safe.

PileDriver wrote:

Forget the penalty laps for the lawyers. Just put a wood block under their gas pedals so that they don't hurt themselves. 20% throttle oughtta keep em safe.

What a brilliant idea.

I was going to suggest hitting them in the knee with a sledge hammer, but the wood black sounds less messy.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Judge Jonny wrote:
PileDriver wrote:

What a brilliant idea.

I was going to suggest hitting them in the knee with a sledge hammer, but the wood black sounds less messy.

I like your idea better. I think I'll try it.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

I can now confirm that our top speed at TH was a 104 down the front straight and 90 mph through 8. Turn 8 was easily flat was actually quite disappointing when compared to HPDE speeds in an R-compound car. This is for a car with a best lap of 2.21.6 with a theoretical of 2.19:5

We were far from the fastest car down the straight though - Pandamonium, Batmobile and the V8olvo definitely had the legs on us down the straight though I doubt if even they broke 115.

Team Formula BMW
Finishing order: 44th, 44th, 19th, 10th, 5th, 10th, 5th
We will win some day smile

105 for us.

We were stuck in 4th gear for the last 4 hours and still doing 2:32's.

Best lap in race was 2:25

KT

If you guys were doing 104-105, I'm sure we (V8olvo) were close to if not over 110.  At best, maybe 115.  However, as I mentioned in the California Drivers Suck thread, the problems weren't in the fast corners.  There was surprisingly little T1 or T8 mayhem that I witnessed.  The problems were in T10, T11 and T5.  T10 is a tricky downhill braking zone and T5 and T11 are both very low speed.  More evidence that it's the choke points that cause the issues??  Probably a decent argument against chicanes...

Cheers,

Dean

66 (edited by rnr 2009-11-23 11:53 AM)

Incidentally these are all actual data logged max speeds. I'm just posting the number because we spent a long time speculating on them before the race. Unfortunately Panamonium was not running a datalogger - I'd loved to have seen telemetry and lines from Adams fast lap of 2.19:1

Team Formula BMW
Finishing order: 44th, 44th, 19th, 10th, 5th, 10th, 5th
We will win some day smile

"Sparky" Pete wrote:

"DO A BARREL ROLL!!"

lol

Oh you never should have written that.  Glad to hear the driver was OK.

vwminispeedster wrote:
"Sparky" Pete wrote:

"DO A BARREL ROLL!!"

lol

Oh you never should have written that.  Glad to hear the driver was OK.

Now that's Car-ma. A bitch-slap from the universe.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

We clocked in at 108mph in the main straight according to our GPS telemetry. Fastest lap was 2:18.

The Sharks
Home of the E28 Turbo Tuner Fish and the Hammered Head 944 Turbo

SharkBait wrote:

We clocked in at 108mph in the main straight according to our GPS telemetry. Fastest lap was 2:18.

Bah! Real Lemons cars use GLONASS!

MurileeMartin wrote:

Bah! Real Lemons cars use GLONASS!

You are such a geek.

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

SharkBait wrote:

On day 1 our fastest lap was a 2:34, ouch...

but on day 2 I ripped off a 2:26...

Our speedo only goes to 85 though, so when we had all three speeds it was pinned by the end of the front straight...

Uberbird!

Our fastest lap was in the mid 2:50s, and some rough calculations indicate we might have hit 85 mph down the front straight.  I admit to being a little surprised we got going that fast; maybe we actually have the 3.55 gearing in which case we only got up to 72 mph.  We tried to stay out of everyone's way...

dtfastbear wrote:

If you guys were doing 104-105, I'm sure we (V8olvo) were close to if not over 110.  At best, maybe 115.  However, as I mentioned in the California Drivers Suck thread, the problems weren't in the fast corners.  There was surprisingly little T1 or T8 mayhem that I witnessed.  The problems were in T10, T11 and T5.  T10 is a tricky downhill braking zone and T5 and T11 are both very low speed.  More evidence that it's the choke points that cause the issues??  Probably a decent argument against chicanes...

Cheers,

Dean

Dean is right......the V8olvo and 928 were both similar down the straights... if and IF I could get a good run down the straight I could hit 110mph..maybe 115 on a perfect run with scary late braking.... 100mph was typical...Turn 1 was a conservative 80-85mph, since the car felt really pushy there with the tighter turn than usual....  turn 8 felt really good, with the increased banking and the few times I got a good run at it I was over 90mph...just lift and turn, no brakes for 8.....about 100mph by braking for 9.....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

The number 77 Limp gimp Cadi sts was doing 110 down front straight with heater and stereo on and also went thru 4 sets of front front brake pads

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!