Re: Thunderhill black flags

prime suspect wrote:
Judge Jonny wrote:
prime suspect wrote:

sounds like its time to start bringing a whaambulance to these events

I like you.

lol  thanks   I hung out with you guys in the penalty box most of the event @ NL     I cannot believe 521 penaltys      that just boggles the mind     I cant believe you and Phil arent in jail right now for mass homicide       that must have been a ROUGH event for you guys     any ideas on why so many ?

They were about to walk into the paddock with a vest wired with shorted Bosch relays and lay waste to the whole place when it was announced that the S600 was coming into the penalty box... it was a close thing.

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

I think the flaggers did a superb job. I especially liked the white board with the # on it. Could be more visable though. Kinda hard to see from some corners. A wider pen perhaps??

28 (edited by Bender/StickFigureRacing 2009-11-24 04:48 PM)

Total Black Flags for our Team

2 Newbies = 1 Black Flag. Slap on the wrist and Walmart Cologne.
3 seasoned Lemons = 4 Black Flags for penalties worth 2 hours

So I would have to say the newb's were listening more than we were.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

The black flagging seemed fair and even sometimes lenient. We had two black flags - One for passing under yellow; sun was in the eyes of our driver at turn 9... I didn't really believe him till day 2 I was driving at the same time (about 3:00) and missed the yellow climbing the hill due to glare in the windscreen, but caught it as I was passing and gave the position back. The other was for an off and on.

We had a couple drivers that got a wheel or two in the dirt, and were not called. I saw many potential black flags that were not thrown to cars.

I give a thumbs up to Thunderhill for fair flagging.

Gembesties Racing
FB.me/gembesties
Denver/Sacremento

30 (edited by Eyesoreracing 2009-11-24 06:45 PM)

Last year at THill there was so much yellow we had a driver in the car for 2 hours who only had NINE green flag laps. This year, we had to do driver changes under green because the track almost never went full yellow.

That's how you know the flagging was awesome.

Yea, some of the black flags were confusing, but I'm sure the whole system was taxed to the limit with 150+ cars on the track.

The turn 11 workers needed a new Sharpee (or preferably a flip-sign like Reno), but really none of that matters compared to the amount of green flag racing we managed to get.

-Dave

Eyesoreracing wrote:

Last year at THill there was so much yellow we had a driver in the car for 2 hours who only had NINE green flag laps. This year, we had to do driver changes under green because the track almost never went full yellow.

Yea, some of the black flags were confusing, but I'm sure the whole system was taxed to the limit with 150+ cars on the track.

The turn 11 workers needed a new Sharpee (or preferably a flip-sign like Reno), but really none of that matters compared to the amount of green flag racing we managed to get.

Agree 100%.

The Sharks
Home of the E28 Turbo Tuner Fish and the Hammered Head 944 Turbo

hehe.. driver changes under yellow? Why didn't we think of that? haha..

guys...yes there was 521 black flags...BUT there were 50 more that never got called in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  so 571 black flags.....my team got hit 3 times..& I am sure at least one was legit, since I reviewed the video....called in for passing under yellow...& we actually passed 3 cars under yellow.....

I was so afraid of the black flags that I went in when I saw one THAT WASN'T FOR ME....just to go back out....so I lost what...1 or 2 laps tops...no biggie really.....  I did hear of some teams endlessly staying out under black....

After that we adopted the see it twice and wait to see your # strategy, which we never needed since the car blew up

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

34 (edited by monkei 2009-11-25 05:20 PM)

"I invite all of you to come and work black flag for one hour next race. It will pop your eyes wide open."

Maybe this should be a requirement before anyone is allowed to race a Lemons event. At least here in CA.

Then new folks will get prior exposure in order to get the spirit of Lemons and what to/not to do on track before they bring their cheater cars and whine about how they got penalized laps, ignored 20 laps of black flag pointed in their direction,  or how they got black flagged off track for attempted 'stig'-like driving at a crapcan endurance race event.

8 time Lemons loser!
Go team Faster Farms! [ http://fasterfarms.blogspot.com ]

I know all our blag flags were legit cuzz be had body damage  to prove it - for 3 of them, the other two were for passing under the yellow and speeding in the pits.  We were bad boys.

I was wondering how did other drivers guage their pit speed.  I had a working speedometer and drove at 8 mph and I know that 10 mph is a 6 min mile - a pretty healthy jog - and when I was driving in the pits people were jogging by me so I used 2 visual references and still got nabbed for speeding.  I felt that was slow, but I guess not, what did other do to guage speed?

ifb_mole wrote:

I felt that was slow, but I guess not, what did other do to guage speed?

Uh, we used the speedometer.

The one question I had was does the pit speed limit apply in the hot pits / staging area, over the wall?

37 (edited by m@ 2009-11-25 06:08 PM)

priapism wrote:

The one question I had was does the pit speed limit apply in the hot pits / staging area, over the wall?

25 mph in the hot pit. Speedometer? We didn't even have a gas gauge.

We got three black flags the first day, two for passing on yellow. Definitely got off easy using our invisibility cloak on a few spins ! hmm

Second day was a different story, everyone was settled in and we made a few changes to the car that made it handle 10x better. We still got one more black flag from a rear-ended collision but an excellent day overall.

Bender/StickFigureRacing wrote:

Total Black Flags for our Team

2 Newbies = 1 Black Flag. Slap on the wrist and Walmart Cologne.
3 seasoned Lemons = 4 Black Flags for penalties worth 2 hours

So I would have to say the newb's were listening more than we were.

Same ratio here...  Our newbie only got a couple of black flags for issues with the car; our seasoned lemonheads got 'em for contact or spins...

Eyesoreracing wrote:

-Dave

x2

100% OTM

we were brought in by mistake once, no biggie. No harm no foul. 150 cars with various levels of experience and the # of yellow flags was fantastic.
I'm not sure which E-30 it was that went sideways infront of me on turn #5 but I had to get 4 wheels in the dirt to avoid the crash. All infront of the corner station & thankfully & correctly, there was no black flag. I thought the corner workers were great at T-hill.

Lastly, driver courtesey & communication was pretty damn good too. Slower cars were quick to let clearly faster cars go past without too much ego & also, drivers were good about waving other cars to pass & generally being cool about communication.

Just like any level of motorsports, a few drivers clearly mistake obnoxious aggressive ego with actual driving skill, but the cool thing about Lemons is, that behavior is what the judges in Penalty love & enjoy punishing! The whole concept is great.

Great season all & congrats to team Eyesore for again setting the bar.

"steering clear of bad drivers and internet badasses since 2008!"