Re: Lemons Radio Tech

Racin_G73 wrote:

All the cars with radios I've driven (2?) have had the radio powered by the car BUT the radio still seemed like it had its individual rechargeable battery installed.

I'm just guessing, but wouldn't the radio just switch to battery power when the kill switch is cut?

That's what I was asking. My initial searches for battery eliminators for powering off the car literally removed the battery from the radio. So if power was lost from the car the radio would be dead.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Hit me up over on FB and I'll put you in touch with Troy.

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

With our midlands we just secured the charging cradle with the 12v power adapter in the car. Dropped the radio in and secured that down.  So when the car has power the radio is charging and when the car power is off the radio runs off of the battery.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner

Update on mt352r's at NJMP.

Very mixed results, sometimes good and sometimes nothing.  It did work well when the shifter handle came loose and I was towed in.  Other times, eh....

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

I've used a set of secondhand Motorola Radius SP50's at various racetracks for over a decade.  They're set up for 2 different selectable 45x mhz frequencies.

Radiuses of various models and ages are super popular for circle-track racing, and you can often find complete used sets on eBay with several handsets, multiple chargers, PTT gear, a couple spotters headsets, etc., for a pretty reasonable price.  The factory claims a 12 hour battery life with a 90% standby duty cycle, but I don't think I ever saw better than half of that out of the ones I used.  At Lemons events it would mean 1 or 2 radio swaps per day or wiring up a charging station in the car. 

I usually rigged up the PTT button on the shaft of the shift lever, so to avoid wires getting wrapped and pinched around the steering wheel.  I used to use a "stubby" roof-mounted antenna, which seemed to work pretty well.  At larger tracks there are still dead spots, though, where pit & car can't communicate. 

Getting a helmet-mounted mic for 2-way comm seems to be a pretty big hurdle for most Lemons drivers, though, so the last several teams I've been running with are radio-less.

I had an instructor at the Ridge last week who had a rather nifty thing, just for in-car comms. It was a single earpiece and mic combo that could just be stuffed into your helmet once you've got it on... this would be a giant advantage as it'd save us wiring six helmets for audio (which, frankly, makes us look a bit more serious than we really are).

However, now I can't find the darned thing anywhere and have no idea whether it'll work for car->pit comms. Anyone know of anything similar that would plug into a radio?

Chris

Newer to Lemons and only raced at NJMP, but in May we just used cell phones with $10 headphones/mic.  It worked great, with minimal issues.  We typically made a conference call in case we lost a phone.  On occasion the driver inadvertently hung up while getting in the car, so our backup plan was to wave a team shirt when they went through pit road.  Last year we used hand held radios that were secured in the car.  Communication was choppy and very frustrating.     For us, the $10 spent on cell headsets worked out fine especially compared to spending hundreds on radio systems.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

pugwonk wrote:

I had an instructor at the Ridge last week who had a rather nifty thing, just for in-car comms. It was a single earpiece and mic combo that could just be stuffed into your helmet once you've got it on... this would be a giant advantage as it'd save us wiring six helmets for audio (which, frankly, makes us look a bit more serious than we really are).

However, now I can't find the darned thing anywhere and have no idea whether it'll work for car->pit comms. Anyone know of anything similar that would plug into a radio?

Chris

This is what you're referring to:
http://www.soloperformance.com/Chatterb … _1384.html

I think there are probably a few different companies making these types of things, but these come with standard 3.5mm plugs, so in theory they should be adaptable to just about any comms system with a little effort.

Sorry For Party Racing! - 1985 Pontiac Firebird - Car #35

A race car exists only in two states: broken or in the process of becoming that way.

TheEngineer wrote:
Racin_G73 wrote:

All the cars with radios I've driven (2?) have had the radio powered by the car BUT the radio still seemed like it had its individual rechargeable battery installed.

I'm just guessing, but wouldn't the radio just switch to battery power when the kill switch is cut?

That's what I was asking. My initial searches for battery eliminators for powering off the car literally removed the battery from the radio. So if power was lost from the car the radio would be dead.

Yes, a battery eliminator replaces the battery and runs directly off the car. You lose car power and you will also lose radio power.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

piper.gras wrote:
pugwonk wrote:

Chris

This is what you're referring to:
http://www.soloperformance.com/Chatterb … _1384.html

I think there are probably a few different companies making these types of things, but these come with standard 3.5mm plugs, so in theory they should be adaptable to just about any comms system with a little effort.

Chatterbox and Nady are both common intercom systems with little headsets like that. We bought the kit to use the Nady with or radios years ago and could not get it to work. Maybe I will give it a try again.

It's been along time since I used one of those with an instructor but on issue was they picked up outside noise a lot. A Miata passed us in a DE and it sounded like a chainsaw drove through the middle of the car.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

For at least the third time, the wires ripped out of my push-to-talk button.
I am using the ones from Sampson (SRC), which are supposed to be
pretty good, but they are absolutely non-repairable.   Does anyone have
any suggestions for really rugged PTT switches?   The problem is
that someone always seems to get hung up on the cord and yanks it
out of the button assembly.

If not totally rugged, I would settle for ones that can be taken apart and
repaired.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

CowDriver wrote:

repaired.

"Relocate it somewhere other then the steering wheel" the radio guys suggested to us.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

CowDriver wrote:

repaired.

I have repaired a lot of PTTs.

I made a wireless one for our car.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Pardon me in advance if this is covered somewhere, I searched but couldn't really find answers... We purchased the Rugged Radios setup through the Lemons Store but can't figure out how to program specific frequencies into them. Do we need to get the cable and hook up to a PC? Or is it doable through the menu button on the radios? Also, are there freqs we should be using and or ones we should stay away from? There is very little information available on the Rugged website and the "instructions" that came with the radios only made me feel more dumb. Thanks in advance for any advice/help/instruction.

Jim

Butt Sweat & Beers.

I can't speak to this directly because I don't have those particular radios, but it looks like they're just rebadged Baofeng UV-5R's.

This website has some good information about programming Baofeng's:  http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/

I have a couple of the Baofeng UV-82's, which I imagine are fairly similar from a programming standpoint.  The instructions on that website were able to guide me through programming mine.

I would suggest doing memory reset before beginning, just to clear out any of the channels that come pre-programmed from the factory.

A race car exists only in two states: broken or in the process of becoming that way.

piper.gras wrote:

I can't speak to this directly because I don't have those particular radios, but it looks like they're just rebadged Baofeng UV-5R's.

This website has some good information about programming Baofeng's:  http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/

I have a couple of the Baofeng UV-82's, which I imagine are fairly similar from a programming standpoint.  The instructions on that website were able to guide me through programming mine.

I would suggest doing memory reset before beginning, just to clear out any of the channels that come pre-programmed from the factory.

Piper.gras is correct, these are rebadged Baofeng units.  I have several UV-5r+ and they have worked well.  The programming is relatively straight forward using the USB cable and free software online.  There's no need to reset the memory before programming.  Once you have the drivers and software loaded, you can access the current programming on the radio, make changes, then upload to the radio.  It is very easy to clone multiple radios using this process.

Here's a link to a good Youtube video on the programming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arpGoThEtCE

Three Year Multiple Lemons Loser,
2013 Arse Freeze Apalooza - Class B Winner,
2015 Vodden the Hell are we Doing - IOE Winner

jimmy.shearer wrote:

Pardon me in advance if this is covered somewhere, I searched but couldn't really find answers... We purchased the Rugged Radios setup through the Lemons Store but can't figure out how to program specific frequencies into them. Do we need to get the cable and hook up to a PC? Or is it doable through the menu button on the radios? Also, are there freqs we should be using and or ones we should stay away from? There is very little information available on the Rugged website and the "instructions" that came with the radios only made me feel more dumb. Thanks in advance for any advice/help/instruction.

Jim

I use GMRS frequencies.  You can get an FCC license for GMRS easily.  Programming frequencies outside FRS/GMRS is risky unless you have a commercial license or Ham radio license.

technically the UV-5R radios are not allowed on GRMS, they put out too much power. And they absolutely put out too much power for FRS. Chances of getting caught and in trouble are low, but just be aware of it.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

69 (edited by piper.gras 2014-08-05 01:56 PM)

TheEngineer wrote:

technically the UV-5R radios are not allowed on GRMS, they put out too much power. And they absolutely put out too much power for FRS. Chances of getting caught and in trouble are low, but just be aware of it.

With the proper license you can transmit over GMRS frequencies with up to 50W (large fixed stations).  Typical handhelds like this are limited to 5W, which is above the output of the UV-5R (4W), so it's fine to use on GMRS.  You're still supposed to be licensed...the FCC put forward a proposal in 2010 to remove the licensing requirement on all GMRS frequencies, but there wasn't enough push behind it to make it a priority in government, so it stalled.  The FCC seems completely uninterested in going after people using GRMS without a license, but YMMV.

Per the regulations, channels 1-7 are shared between FRS and GMRS and require a license if transmitting at over 1/2W, 1/2W and under they're license free.  Channels 8-14 are FRS only, license free, 1/2W max.  Channels 15-22 are GMRS only, and technically require a license, but in practice that regulation does not seem to be enforced.

Great info guys! As always, really appreciate the community!!

Butt Sweat & Beers.

piper.gras wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

With the proper license you can transmit over GMRS frequencies with up to 50W (large fixed stations).  Typical handhelds like this are limited to 5W, which is above the output of the UV-5R (4W), so it's fine to use on GMRS.  You're still supposed to be licensed...the FCC put forward a proposal in 2010 to remove the licensing requirement on all GMRS frequencies, but there wasn't enough push behind it to make it a priority in government, so it stalled.  The FCC seems completely uninterested in going after people using GRMS without a license, but YMMV.

Per the regulations, channels 1-7 are shared between FRS and GMRS and require a license if transmitting at over 1/2W, 1/2W and under they're license free.  Channels 8-14 are FRS only, license free, 1/2W max.  Channels 15-22 are GMRS only, and technically require a license, but in practice that regulation does not seem to be enforced.

Interesting. Everything I had seen was that the UV-5Rs weren't allowed on GRMS at all,  but maybe they meant without a license. Thanks for the correction. We just bought a couple of the UV-5R radios and I've been trying to figure out which license I need to be getting just to be safe. Guess it's that one.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

TheEngineer wrote:
piper.gras wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

Interesting. Everything I had seen was that the UV-5Rs weren't allowed on GRMS at all,  but maybe they meant without a license. Thanks for the correction. We just bought a couple of the UV-5R radios and I've been trying to figure out which license I need to be getting just to be safe. Guess it's that one.

It is because they are not part 95a (and possibly not even FCC) approved.  The specs match up with part 95a though.

This chart of FRS/GMRS frequencies and power limitations may be helpful:

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.ph … nnel_chart

10x loser (Arse-Freeze '11 - Vodden '15) 1x WINNER! Arse-Freeze '14 in the Watermelon Volvo Wagon
Swedish Knievel Skycycle('90 Volvo 740 Wagon)

Any suggestions on earbuds that won't break the bank?

rlchv70 wrote:

Any suggestions on earbuds that won't break the bank?

Any stereo earbuds will work, but since they are stereo, you'll only hear out of one ear. Like these: http://compare.ebay.com/like/1907117430 … p;var=sbar

The cheapest mono ear buds i've seen are $30: http://www.sampsonracing.com/Sportman_E … rtsman.htm