Re: Lemons Book

If you have a decent write-up but lack photos, I may have some, since I've shot many of the WC races in the last 5 years or so... I'll need to know name/year of race, your car and no. (and theme, that's handy to search too)

Team photographer and "sure I'll drive" hanger-on: more races than I ever imagined... MRolla/FX32/Mormon Meteor IV
http://www.facebook.com/StickFigureRacing
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jkiel/coll … 604631509/
http://www.jkiel.com/

m610 wrote:

Thanks. Looking forward to it.

Include photos if you have them, or else I'll just mine the Über Gallery, again.

Not that anybody cares, but I'm tossing together something for our Milano.  Our Milano is in the rarified company of the K car as having run many races on both coasts.

Whatever you do, any proper Lemons book must include the Schumaker Taxi MR2/cheater motor acquisition story, you can find it in this thread:

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt … p?id=21392

One of the funniest damn stories I've read!

bs

bshorey wrote:
m610 wrote:

Thanks. Looking forward to it.

Include photos if you have them, or else I'll just mine the Über Gallery, again.

Not that anybody cares, but I'm tossing together something for our Milano.  Our Milano is in the rarified company of the K car as having run many races on both coasts.

Whatever you do, any proper Lemons book must include the Schumaker Taxi MR2/cheater motor acquisition story, you can find it in this thread:

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt … p?id=21392

One of the funniest damn stories I've read!

bs

Funny story. I feel kinda bad for the kid, though.

How do I contact this team. Their web site doesn't have any "contact me" links.

m610 wrote:

No idea.  They do post on this forum.  On their web site, you could try following the link to their forum, or to their Facebook page.

bs

I'm in if you will have me. Josh is a creative writer and we should have some cool pictures of the early years.

It Ain't My Fault

31 (edited by m610 2013-11-14 08:29 PM)

Dave wrote:

I'm in if you will have me. Josh is a creative writer and we should have some cool pictures of the early years.

Everybody is in. This is Lemons after all. Unlike Lemons, however, if the writing is terrible, we'll work together to fix it. (It won't be terrible, but some will be better than others, like Lemons.)

Team profiles should be easy enough to write since you know all the facts and creativity is optional. Just stick some pretty pictures in to cover for any mistakes.

I'm getting the feeling that lots of Lemons teams write about their adventures.

bshorey wrote:
m610 wrote:

No idea.  They do post on this forum.  On their web site, you could try following the link to their forum, or to their Facebook page.

bs

I know Rob I will post a shout out to him on facebook to check out this thread

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

Someone woke me up?

Feel free to contact me via email from the forum.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

RobL wrote:

Someone woke me up?

Feel free to contact me via email from the forum.

Done.

I'll be sure to get something written up for our page Mike, love the idea and would love to contribute.

-M

30 Time Loser with Class C, Index of Effluency, I got Screwed and Heroic Fix Trophies who usually races, according to Car and Driver, The Greatest Road Racing Cherokee in History.

Check out our FB Page and follow our various exploits.

I was hoping you would. I've already got a page in it for you.

Well... we may have a problem.

Last night I emailed Jay and Phil about this, to make sure the both knew what was going on with this and to get any input or suggestions or whatever regarding infringing on the Lemons brand, pitfalls they may see per their years in publishing, and maybe they'd even want to join the fun at some point.

Phil's reply was to check with him on the use of any Über Gallery photos because he didn't take all of them. Good to know.

Jay's reply was -- flattered, impressed, but no go. He doesn't see how this could be seen as an independent effort (Not an official (inside) Lemons thing) and that they were planning to do a compendium in the future.

Obviously I disagree with the first point, the second point sounds very interesting, and I can't help but wonder how much this has to do with the second point. I always felt they had to have a book project or three in mind and whatever these would turn out to be they would certainly be more colorful, coherent, and comprehensive that this project, and I would grab a couple copies of each as soon as they became available. But that's another story.  I won't go into this more here but will try to work this out with Jay.

There is a hell of a lot of story in Lemons. There's the big story of the culture Jay has created, something that probably merits a sociology text book dedicated to such things. And of course there are the stories of the individual races, and of individual teams. Lives have been changed! Story stuff! Hübner was so taken by his experience that he self-published his team's story. I've been considering doing something along those lines myself. I am sure a number of you have as well.

The more I worked on this project the more I was convinced it should be done. It was pure Lemons in spirit. Show up, write something, and you are in. Butt turrible writing or rollered Rustoleum writing, doesn't matter.  Just bring a decent theme and throw in a couple of pictures and you are good to go.

For the mean time, please keep sending stuff in. I'll paste it in and will make it look nice. If we never do get the book out, well, at least you'll get an attractive book-like reprint of your article to share with family and friends.

Mike

I was just reading through this before starting to write up something.  I'll still do it but sucks that it may be put on hold for a while.  I know Phil was supposed to be working on something, but I think this would have been different since it is actually written by the teams, making it more of a compilation of autobiographies as opposed to Phil's which will be more of a history of Lemons.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

All right, I'll get to work on the Official Lemons Book.

40 (edited by m610 2013-11-16 09:47 AM)

Looking forward to the official Lemons book.

BoB's point is well taken, and that's how I see this. While Phil and Jay would do a great job alternately lampooning and praising teams and performances, I was really interested in hearing about each team from each team. There will be as many voices and styles in this as there are themes on the track at a Lemons race, and the few articles I have now are interesting in both the different styles and approaches teams take, and the striking similarity in how they handled the race and how they felt when it was done.

Jay has a good point in that the way I was handling this did make it look like an unofficial fan guide of sorts and could confuse someone. What I will do is strip out the parts where it looks like we may be speaking for Lemons, possibly to the point where Lemons may seem incidental. Hopefully I can keep the little Lemons graphic I want to make for each team that submits a profile/history.excuse for being part of this weird social movement. In effect, the book will be more of a guide to crapcan racing, so I may even invite Chump teams to join in, although that feels pretty awkward to me, and I do have a certain affection for Lemons, obviously.

Meanwhile, write your story and send it in and help get the word out to other teams. I don't think many are checking in here. But let's keep this thing moving. I hope to have enough to justify calling it a book in time from Christmas but if it takes a little longer that's OK with me. And for teams that miss out this time, there's always the second edition which we can do any time. Print-on-Demand publishing is awesome that way.

We're at 25,6000 words at this point. Not bad.

I'll upload the revised version soon. Maybe late Sunday because I'm out this weekend.

BTW, feel free to chime in on the intro, glossary, parts of the book other than just your article.

Mike

This is still happening, but might be going a bit slow to make a Christmas deadline with enough material to feel this had enough in it to seem complete.

It wasn't that hard to strip out all LeMons-specific stuff, such as the race calendar going back to the beginning, the proposed article on penalties, and the Supreme court, stuff like that. What that leaves is what I think is most interesting, teams telling us who they are and why they do this, along with their own stories, in their own words, from the track, or garage, or divorce court.

Anyway, three submissions arrived today and I turned them around right away so the authors could review and revise as they see fit. Word count is now at 28,600, page count at 72, but many of those pages are place holders for teams I hope will send something in.

I haven't contacted Chump yet. I don't actually know anything about them except what I've read hear and from one Chump car guy I met at Bonneville who told me that if he ever sees a car like the Tinyvette at one of their races he is going to go out of his way to hit it. He probably didn't mean it, but he'd probably do it anyway. So even with that I'm still thinking of contacting Chump. I assume folks over there can read and will occasionally write. wink

Mike

I completely missed that there was push back from Jay. That seems wrong to me. Jay and crew do a great job giving overviews, and knowing general stories, but I don't think they know enough of the details to put together the same type of book that was proposed here. I just can't see how they'd be against a crowd sourced volume of team stories.

The Official Lemons book i'd expect to have an overview of each race, the winners of all awards, and that's about it. And that's great, i'd buy one. But the more i've worked on my team's piece for this book the more I want to read the in depth stories from every other team.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

m610 wrote:

I haven't contacted Chump yet. I don't actually know anything about them except what I've read hear and from one Chump car guy I met at Bonneville who told me that if he ever sees a car like the Tinyvette at one of their races he is going to go out of his way to hit it. He probably didn't mean it, but he'd probably do it anyway. So even with that I'm still thinking of contacting Chump. I assume folks over there can read and will occasionally write. wink

Mike

Not sure why you'd want to get that other series involved, unless you're truly trying to ensure Jay and company will never bless the effort..

Mine is written, just need an hour at home to dig up a few pictures.

bs

The official book isn't going to be some insiders-only chronicling of every race. It's going to be a slick coffee-table book that shows the glory of Lemons. I'll have chapters about great fixes, pit-party culture, the works.

TheEngineer wrote:

I completely missed that there was push back from Jay. That seems wrong to me. Jay and crew do a great job giving overviews, and knowing general stories, but I don't think they know enough of the details to put together the same type of book that was proposed here. I just can't see how they'd be against a crowd sourced volume of team stories.

The Official Lemons book i'd expect to have an overview of each race, the winners of all awards, and that's about it. And that's great, i'd buy one. But the more i've worked on my team's piece for this book the more I want to read the in depth stories from every other team.

Yeah but Jay and company know who the players are and know the crazy stories.  He has just as much ability to reach out to those teams that have a good story to tell and get that information.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

This is sounding more and more like something that should be online rather than printed.

While it may make more sense to be online, there is something special about having it as a physical book.

my teams Photographer made a book out of the pictures of the first to races.  While all of the pictures are available online plus a bunch more pictures the book just seems nicer, and people seem more impressed by the whole thing when you can give them a book to flip through then show them pictures on a website.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Judge Phil wrote:

This is sounding more and more like something that should be online rather than printed.

TheRustyHub.com has been a bit neglected lately and could be a good place to host this stuff, since that was my original purpose anyway before I ran out of free time. It could certainly use a redesign from someone who knows what they're actually doing, but I'll hand over controls and even pay the hosting fees for someone who wants to put it to good use, so long as you don't defame me too badly.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Judge Phil wrote:

That being said, I'd still plunk down a few coins for a coffee table style book.

Team OK-Speed : Civic Tape-R and Spec Piñata (RIP)
2011 Heaps in the Heart of Texas - I Got Screwed || 2012 Yee-Haw, It's Lemons Texas - Judges Choice
2012 North Dallas Hooptie - Personal Scolding from Jay "Award" || 2012 Heaps in the Heart of Texas - Judges Choice
2014 Shine Country Classic - Heroic Fix || 2015 Doing Time in Joliet - Class B Win!

Books and online are indeed different, in many ways, obviously, and while I do plenty of e-work myself, for some things I definitely prefer a book, a real book.

A few years ago someone self-published a book containing photos he took at a race. I got a copy before he withdrew it due to concerns about having to get peoples' permission to be in a book. Anyway, I could just as easily go online to see his photos, but so what? I liked his book (which I can't find at the moment, probably because it is buried under other books) and I especially liked the idea that he cared enough to make one.

I will gladly make this book available as a PDF file and will even see if I can figure out how to get it into some e-book format. Still, fir this project, I'd much rather have a book. Giving my teammates a url for Christmas, for instance, just doesn't seem to be the thing to do. (Yes, I do give them Christmas presents. Lemony-Tinyvette ones.)

That said, spread the word. The more teams and stories we collect the better this will be and the more people will value it. This forum probably isn't getting the word out very well so to remedy this, if you know if a team you want to read about, start bugging them to get their story in.

Thanks for the support.
Mike