Re: Lemons Book

I am trying to come up with a story fitting to be printed. love this idea

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

Couldn't each team just write up a short bio, like a zine? Then you could collect all the short stories to make the collective whole. That way it's not one big book, rather a collection of short tales, etc. It'd be each teams story about racing, rather than a book specific to Lemons.

Teams can write what they want, any way they want. I wrote ours up as a "little engine that could" type story, about an Opel that wants t be a Corvette and thinks success in Lemons will help it achieve that. Another team presented themselves as Chicago gangsters. For one team the story was more personal and told how he found his racing home in Lemons.

This wasn't meant to be just a reference resource, like the Lemons wiki, which is an excellent project BTW, although short team bios are welcome as well.

As for the writing itself, don't think that just because you are not a real writer (I'm not.) that you can't tell your story. It's like in Lemons, if your heap can complete a lap, it is a race car. Likewise, if you can get your point across, you are a writer. Of course, getting paid to do either is another mater. Still, if this is something that is not in your current skill set, if you still need help, call me or just send me the raw bits you have and we can work together to get your story told.

The thing about this for me, figuring I'll be a reader, too, is that I have a fair idea of what some of the west coast teams are about, but not really. That drive home from The Ridge with Spank, for instance, reminded me how little I knew about familiar faces and teams. And of course I have no idea what the teams in other regions are about, except SpeedyCop wink, and I am sure there is a lot more to his story than we know..

As for the official Lemons book, with Phil's and Jay's experience in writing and of course in Lemons that could be a fantastic book. They know and were part of so many stories that on one hand the job of writing that book would seem easy, so much material to work with, and on the other hand daunting, because they have so much material to work with.

Mike

m610 wrote:

(Yes, I do give them Christmas presents. Lemony-Tinyvette ones.)

Like... books full of professional driving tips? smile

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

Racin_G73 wrote:
m610 wrote:

(Yes, I do give them Christmas presents. Lemony-Tinyvette ones.)

Like... books full of professional driving tips? smile

Calendars, so they can plan well in advance and make it to all of our races. wink

I am a Faster Farms Father. I might attempt a history of the flighty but plucky chickens. I have plenty of material.
http://joulebox.wordpress.com/2012/06/0 … iet-debut/

There are still 10 days left in National Novel Writing Month... 50K words is the goal.... get typin'!

Gormless Racing
1968 MGB GT, mostly kinda running

We're up to 31,300 words, over half way there, and it will be "novel".

I think I finally figured out what I want to write now I just have to sit down and do it, and find pictures, lots and lots of pictures because people really don't care about words, just looking at pictures.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

The articles I get often do not have photos, or maybe just 1-2. I dig up more. In the end the article is just under 5-% photos, space-wise. Photos are important. They add a lot of color. This won't be a picture book, nor will it be a scientific journal.

There's a certain "sameness" to some of the stories, but rather than being redundant the speak to common experiences in Lemons. It's great!

One thing to keep in mind, tell your story, whatever it is, and include how the team got together and how you bought the car if you want. But please also do a team profile/introduction, something that tells us you you are and what your schtick is. Some teams introduce the cast f characters and explain their theme,  others give a short history that illustrates their theme/concept, another described how  Lemons became their racing home, and of course how they found their car(s). Anyway, in the "Teams" section, tell us who you are, and in the Tales" section, optional, your stories of your quest for Lemons glory.

Word count is at 33,500 now, in case anyone is interested.

BTW, I've decided to add an index using key words and phrases such as IOE, blew up, punted, cheater, win, lose, engine swap, disaster, spun, and so on. Pretty funny.

Here's the index, so far - http://www.kstreetstudio.com/files/24HO … -Index.pdf

Interesting how certain words are used much more frequently than others.

And here's the table of contents, so far - http://www.kstreetstudio.com/files/24HO … ntents.pdf

Not all of those teams have sent something in, but some have promised/are working on it/really ought to.

I'll try to bring a printed version of whatever I have done before the Sonoma race.

I just finished typing up our story. I hope you're good with editing. Now I just need to dig up some pictures and I'll get it all to you.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

Thanks.

Rough text is OK. I'll fix what I see and we'll send it back and forth until it is all good.

Mike

This thing is hardly a guide to Lemons anymore, although is it definitely about Lemons, or rather, your experiences in Lemons. So I think the title must change. A few ideas:

• Pieces of Work

• The Teams and Tales of the Lemons Circuit

• What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

• Rusty Paper

• Ran When Parked, My Ass!

• Tetanus and Tequila, Why We Race.

• It's also my daily driver, so don't blow it up. (A Sparky Pete quote.)

• This car isn't going to build it's self sober. (JThw8. MTR Wartburg quote)

I'm kind of drawing a blank here. Any other ideas? It's your book.

Mike

I'd say "Not in it to win it."

Captain of the Speedholes Wrenching #365 1965 Rambler Marlin and owner of the "Cockroach 454 Chevy Bigblock". Collector Emeritus of awful crapcans.
Earned every finish with Blood, Sweat, Tears,  Smoked brakes,dead wheelbearings, two blower explosions, and a never-ending thirst for more fuel. Finished em all! Currently hiding in a secret base in the shadow of the "Race to the Clouds".

A collection of lies from the racers of Lemons

'13  Sonoma - Class B Crown Vic, 14 Sonoma IOE - Race Rambler!, Autobahn Class C+IOE #Racevan!, '15 Thill IOE Winner - Omega!, '16 Ridge - IOE - Avanti!, '17 THill Class C Winner - Omega, Butt IOE - Race 411, Sonoma IOE - Aztek '18 Butt - IOE - Allante, MSR - IOE - '41 Olds - '19 Butt-Class C - Allante, '20 Covid, '21 THill-Class B - Omega, Sonoma - IOE and HWG  - Satellite, '22 Sonoma - HWG-Tojan

The Index of Effluency

bshorey wrote:

The Index of Effluency

That one is taken.

http://static.lulu.com/browse/product_thumbnail.php?productId=13032904&resolution=320

Link: http://www.lulu.com/us/en/shop/philipp- … 32904.html

69 (edited by Spank 2013-11-24 02:10 PM)

"Writing isn't just for Rich Idiots, it's for ALL idiots"

Or use "Racing" in place of Writing. Although if I were Jay, I'd argue that I own that phrase. But I'd also argue that Index of Effluency were also his but apparently he either allowed it or didn't go after the guy. yet.

"Auto Racing for the [or by the] Unwashed Masses" or some variant.

"The Unwashed Masses and their Racing Machines"

Good suggestions. Thanks.

Several more articles came in today. I was supposed to work on the car today.

We're up to 42,300 words  (80% of a novel wink ) and 105 pages.

I updated the table of contents and index. (The links are above, somewhere.) The list of teams includes those I have articles from, plus one's I've been promised, and others I hope to get.

71 (edited by racinrob 2013-11-25 06:27 AM)

m610 wrote:

This thing is hardly a guide to Lemons anymore, although is it definitely about Lemons, or rather, your experiences in Lemons. So I think the title must change.

I'm kind of drawing a blank here. Any other ideas? It's your book.

Mike

"When life gives you Lemons, go racing!"

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

"The Killer ZomBee, and a bunch of crappy cars that keep chasing it around the track."

No?

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

m610 wrote:
bshorey wrote:

The Index of Effluency

That one is taken.

Fascinating.  Just goes to show what a fantastic suggestion it was.

How about "The Spirit of Lemons"?  Speedy probably wouldn't mind supplying the cover photo.

bs

"Zombee Killer Lemons Thriller"?

"What Could Possibly Go Wrong?" could be followed up by "What Else Could Possibly Go Wrong?"

"The Spirit of Lemons" definitely is the spirit of this project.

"Cheatonium Diary", or "The Cheatonium Monologues"

"Diary of Broke Crank" ?

"PUY, A Way of Life"

Hard drive problems since last night have kept me busy so I haven't been able to turn around article submissions as quick as I have been. I should be able to get caught up tomorrow.