76 (edited by m610 2013-11-27 01:18 PM)

Re: Lemons Book

"Writin' and Racin'"

"Don't try this at home. We are Professionals"

"Pepto-Bismol for the Soul" (I don't know what made that one pop into my head.)

I met with the curator for the CAL museum and she's in on this book thing, will contribute a page or two, and may carry it in their gift shop.

I'll contact the other two charities today and/or Monday.

My computer is back up and running, since late last night, and work has resumed.

Mike

Mike,
May I suggest you steal Spank's recent post title in Human Resources?

Uncompetitive Drivers Wanted

Also, about how many words are you looking for?  I have a record of our first year written up that runs about 48,000 words.  I have notes for our second year that runs probably about 10,000 words.

~Van

13X losers (or is 14 now?) refusing to learn from our failures.
Organizer's Choice!  Trophy should have a bottle opener on it.

stimpyvan wrote:

Mike,
May I suggest you steal Spank's recent post title in Human Resources?

Uncompetitive Drivers Wanted

Also, about how many words are you looking for?  I have a record of our first year written up that runs about 48,000 words.  I have notes for our second year that runs probably about 10,000 words.

~Van

Great suggestion on the title!

1-4 pages typical, including photos. A few are longer. Words counts are typically 600-3000, estimated.

The whole thing now is just pushing over 40,000 words.

I'm guessing my Tinyvette Times and other reports to our team maybe be in the 40,000 word territory. It seems we share a similar compulsion.

Several articles came in over the weekend and on Monday are in. Word count is up to 45,600, 139 photos and illustrations, 127 11"x8.5" pages including the cover. We're doing pretty good, and I have been promised more and are hoping to get at least a couple more people involved.

I sent what I have at  this time to the printer and will have two copies in time for people to see it at Arse-Freeze. It is far from complete, but I think letting people see a mock-up would be good.

Mike

The "mechanical samples" came in today. It looks great. There's a lot of work left on this, and I expect more articles soon.

I'll bring this to Sonoma this weekend, and to EGR on Friday if I make it to that party.

https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/q71/s720x720/1476629_772310542783105_1249447523_n.jpg

m610 wrote:

The "mechanical samples" came in today. It looks great. There's a lot of work left on this, and I expect more articles soon.

I'll bring this to Sonoma this weekend, and to EGR on Friday if I make it to that party.

https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/q71/s720x720/1476629_772310542783105_1249447523_n.jpg

My Rambler and my Crown Vic! I love you man. How much are the copies of this beast?

'13  Sonoma - Class B Crown Vic, 14 Sonoma IOE - Race Rambler!, Autobahn Class C+IOE #Racevan!, '15 Thill IOE Winner - Omega!, '16 Ridge - IOE - Avanti!, '17 THill Class C Winner - Omega, Butt IOE - Race 411, Sonoma IOE - Aztek '18 Butt - IOE - Allante, MSR - IOE - '41 Olds - '19 Butt-Class C - Allante, '20 Covid, '21 THill-Class B - Omega, Sonoma - IOE and HWG  - Satellite, '22 Sonoma - HWG-Tojan

Im sorry I havent gotten our article to you yet.  Work and life has gotten in the way!

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

There's plenty of time. I'm aiming for Feb 1 as the date when the book is done and available.

I'm absolutely interested in one.

Proud supporter of the "Bring A Sterling To Lemons" Foundation

I'll make it to an actual race one of these days.  Until then...

I had a couple of printed examples at Sonoma last weekend, showing it around to generate interest and to let people see the size, quality, and overall look of the book. Everyone was impressed and wants to see this happen.

I also showed this to Jay who was satisfied that the book did not appear to represent Lemons itself, so we are good to go with that. Phil will help me get the proper photo credits for Über Gallery photos we use, and The Speedway Children's fund was happy to see it and wants to be on board. They will be providing me with something for the pages I've set aside for them. The Cal Auto Museum is already on board and now I just need to find the right person in Alex's Lemonade Stand to get them on board.

My goal is to have this on the shelves at the auto museum on Feb 1. It takes about a week to get them printed and in my mail box, and I need to do at least one round of proofs to make sure it is up to Lemons standards. So that puts me at mid-January for a deadline to have my stuff done. If I give myself a week to get late submissions in that puts your deadline at around January 7. That's just under a month. Plenty of time, right?

As for price and availability, you'll order them yourselves from the printer, online. It's easy. The price will be printing costs plus $10, the $10 being split evenly between the two charities and the museum. Printing costs for what I have now, 127 pages including cover, etc, is $26.

Simply message me if you have an article to submit. Once I get it I'll paste it in and send you a proof to review.  We'll go back and forth until we are both happy with it.

The central idea of the book is crapcan racing, particularly in Lemons, from the point of view of the people racing in Lemons. Within that well have two sections, teams (about your team), and tales, (about your races). So what I am looking for are two things. The first is a short article on who your team is. The idea here is to let people on opposite coasts, or even same regions, know who you are , why you race, etc. Also, think of it as something the grand kids will want to see long after you are retired from Lemons, or you want to impress some guy or girl, or your parents. Maybe you are new to racing, people would want to know this. Or maybe you have 30+ years racing experience and for some reason decided to try Lemons. Or maybe your team story is about a bunch of guys who all think each others wives are hot and making everyone spend all their free time in the garage with you is a marriage preservation strategy. Or just maybe you are a so-called "girl" team that is bucking societal norms and wrenching and racing your own car. (Rae, LadyBugs, Midol, Mary, tell us about it.) Length can be from 1 to 4 pages, including photos, but the page limit is not a hard limit.

The second item, optional, is a racing-related story, if you have one. So far we have some very nice stories and I have been promised more. Some will be "typical", if that can be said about any of this, and in this case typical means universal, the classic Lemons experience. First race, last race, soldiering on and overcoming failure, marriage proposals. Tell us about it.

I have been loving the stories that have come in so far. I think you will, too. Make sure to get something in. If you miss the deadline there may be next year's edition to shoot for, but don't wait. Get your stories in this year.

Mike

I'd love to have an entry in there about the Festiva.  Someone should totally write one.

Anyway, in case you hadn't settled on a title, I thought of "Terrible Racecars".  I don't know if that's good or not.  My personal opinion (which is completely irrelevant to this project) is that titles should be short and catchy, but subtitles can have more content.  Like "Terrible Racecars: Tales from the World of Crapcan Racing" or some variant thereof.  Stories/Tales, Crapcan/Low-buck/Budget, etc.

15x+ Loser, thinks he's a Real Racer(tm)
Rotaries are great, everyone should try them.

87 (edited by m610 2013-12-11 12:26 PM)

Send in teh Festiva story, and the team story.

By "someone", you mean someone else? If you need help just send me the essential info and we can work this up together. Just message me and we can exchange contact info and get this going.

Love the title. We may have a winner. As fond as I am of the WCPGW meme, this one might work better.

I could always list alternate titles in the "Other Stuff section of the book.

Edit - after-thought, great title, but the book is more about the people and their experiences. I need to cogitate a bit more here.

Just now getting around to reading this. How much time do I have to do a writeup?

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Jan 7, approx.

Glad you found it. I was planning on contacting you.

Mike

Title idea, from one of the Lemons quotes -- "How on fire are we?"

m610 wrote:

How about something that plays off the $500:

"No way that car cost $500"
"The art of racing $500 cars"

or maybe just

"500"  (or "$500?")

Or maybe a play off the old Indy 500 theme, "The greatest spectacle in motor racing".  "The greatest spectacle in crapcan racing"

bs

bshorey wrote:
m610 wrote:

How about something that plays off the $500:

"No way that car cost $500"
"The art of racing $500 cars"

or maybe just

"500"  (or "$500?")

Or maybe a play off the old Indy 500 theme, "The greatest spectacle in motor racing".  "The greatest spectacle in crapcan racing"

bs

How about a combination of the two?
"How on fire are we?
The Art of racing $500 cars?"

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

Great suggestions. There certainly is a lot of territory to cover for this project. I'm seeing if I can come up with a way to get all these title in the book, possibly a graffiti-style inside title page, aka halt-title, or bastard title. This is normally a simple text page, normally.

We're up to 140 pages, including overhead, and 140 photos and illustrations, and I have promises for more from 6 teams. It's looking good. I'm still hoping to hear from other teams, all teams actually but that pretty idealistic.

I've updated the table of contents and index. The links are below.

Contents: http://www.kstreetstudio.com/files/24HO … ntents.pdf
Index: http://www.kstreetstudio.com/files/24HO … -Index.pdf

Here are two sample articles.

Team: http://www.kstreetstudio.com/files/24HO … Racing.pdf
Tale: http://www.kstreetstudio.com/files/24HO … Racing.pdf

I'm seeing a few typos and grammar issues, but otherwise it's looking great!

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

I keep finding them, too. I've almost talked a friend into copy editing this for me.

I uploaded a few more pages.

Quotes - http://www.kstreetstudio.com/files/24HO … Quotes.pdf
Bastard title page - http://www.kstreetstudio.com/files/24HO … lePage.pdf
Other Stuff section page - http://www.kstreetstudio.com/files/24HO … lBleed.pdf

We is famous! Or is that infamous?

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

98 (edited by m610 2013-12-16 12:51 PM)

Reformatting the document to make it a proper book has been a lot more work than I expected, but that is now pretty much done. Between margins and gutter and chapter opening pages, etc, the page count went up a bit. To reduce white-space I had to delete a photo and resize others, but if still looks great. I go with the largest photos I can, given space available and the pixel count of the photo.

The quotes list is slowly growing and so is the index.

I'm moving on to the artsy phase now, trying to come up with an attractive cover, chapter opening pages, etc. This is not as easy as actual artsy people make it look. I mean it's not exactly Rustoleum and 4" rollers. Still, my photo collection has a few in it that have "atmosphere". Here are some examples.

Introduction - www.kstreetstudio.com/files/24HOL/Introduction.pdf
For Good Causes - www.kstreetstudio.com/files/24HOL/ForGoodCauses.pdf
Teams - http://www.kstreetstudio.com/files/24HOL/Teams.pdf
Tales - http://www.kstreetstudio.com/files/24HOL/Tales.pdf
Other Stuff - http://www.kstreetstudio.com/files/24HOL/OtherStuff.pdf

I want to reshoot the spark plug photo, and might substitute a burnt piston if that looks better. Or broken rings. The symbolism is obvious. Anyway, this part of the project is still in flux.

I've been editing a pretty robust (40-60 page) newsletter for just over a year now so I know how to get things on the page, printed, and mailed, but this is my first indie book attempt. Yes, you are all my Guinea pigs. wink I'm reading all I can in this to make sure the rookie mistakes are kept to a minimum.

I was just reading the quotes and noticed you have this one in twice:

"If everything seems to be in control, you're not
going fast enough." - Mario Andrett

They are on two different pages.

Every driver needs to memorize Ken Schrader's quote, "It was half my fault.  I chose to be out there.".

I need him on my team.  Ross, you have made me very jealous!

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

Thanks. I've got the book document open and will fix it now.

I like that quote, too.