Re: Banned for life?

My guess is they had multiple penalties for stupid driving (based on what I saw on the track) and then topped off the weekend with this stunt.   Lemons does not need them….  Jay made the right call.

Chump Ganasee Targee Racing Eagle Talon
formerly #98 We Each Hit Racing Toyota Paseo
2 Time Vodden "B" Class Winner - 2012, 2013
Best finish ever for a DSM - 3rd 2013 Vodden

Ouch.... Well, spose that no stuntin, 'splodin and such applies everywhere. Including a hot track.

Captain of the Speedholes Wrenching #365 1965 Rambler Marlin and owner of the "Cockroach 454 Chevy Bigblock". Collector Emeritus of awful crapcans.
Earned every finish with Blood, Sweat, Tears,  Smoked brakes,dead wheelbearings, two blower explosions, and a never-ending thirst for more fuel. Finished em all! Currently hiding in a secret base in the shadow of the "Race to the Clouds".

Someone further up in the thread said they were an experienced team with a new car. How does someone who has run in this series and is considered experienced think this is OK?

'13  Sonoma - Class B Crown Vic, 14 Sonoma IOE - Race Rambler!, Autobahn Class C+IOE #Racevan!, '15 Thill IOE Winner - Omega!, '16 Ridge - IOE - Avanti!, '17 THill Class C Winner - Omega, Butt IOE - Race 411, Sonoma IOE - Aztek '18 Butt - IOE - Allante, MSR - IOE - '41 Olds - '19 Butt-Class C - Allante, '20 Covid, '21 THill-Class B - Omega, Sonoma - IOE and HWG  - Satellite, '22 Sonoma - HWG-Tojan

I debated doing a little burnout when we won Summit Point last year.

Glad I didn't!

Ghetto motorsports - Car #555 1980 Mazda RX7 (3x winner of BFE GP / 1x 2nd place of BFE GP...BOO!)
Car #350 78 Chevy Malibu (Least horrible Yank Tank, Heroic Fix) (Gone)
Car # 556 1987 Mazda RX7 (6th place MMC 2013) (1st place Capitol Offense 2013)

A V8-powered Volvo did a brief burnout at Buttonwillow, and Scrubby managed to squeak the tires, too, as the cars came through pit lane at the end of the race.

31 (edited by dgmontoya 2013-12-10 08:49 AM)

http://youtu.be/DbIj0qnn4iw

Here is my POV. i would be more pissed about the tire use.  although we have done donuts before in the paddock and i know of a few others that have as well. Never seen it on a hot track.  i believe we call it hooning.

Guessing the track wasn't happy, could also be due to their answers when talking to Jay after the event that prompted the Banned for Life.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

They were dipshits on the track well before this incident.
They totally had it coming and I'm quite pleased to hear of the ban.

Look to Cerveza or Eyesore for how to drive a fast car through traffic. If done right, you don't even know they're there until it's done.
The M3 was quick but if you have to repeatedly force the issue you're the problem.

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 143 races and counting.
2/25/24

So, was this a team/all member ban for life, or just the asshat that did the donuts?

Pucker Factor Racing - Gator-O-Rama, Feb '11, Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas!, Oct '11
Scuderia Ignorante - Yee-Haw, It's Lemons Texas, Feb '12 (As seen in Car & Driver), Gator-O-Rama, Sept '13

I did not witness the crappy driving, so missed that piece of it as well.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

I'm quite glad those guys got a lifetime ban. 

I'm not a model driver by any stretch of the imagination, but I was seriously nervous around those guys.

Who cares about their driving?
The donuts were awesome, and I'm glad someone had the balls to do it, banned or not. There is all the talk about not taking this too seriously, and here is someone just having fun. This is a much safer place than the paddock, and no more dangerous than any other activity that happens all weekend.
Lighten up and just enjoy the hooning.

Smokey Yunick, Jim Hall, Chad Knaus, and Me...

38 (edited by kornfeld 2013-12-10 10:16 AM)

I won't comment on whether or not this deserved a lifetime ban...but I did get the feeling during the driver's meeting on Saturday that Lemons leadership wasn't in the most sunshiney-est of moods.  The ban may have just been a case of it not being the right weekend to go and act a fool.

It does sound like there is a LOT of butthurt in this thread because someone brought a faster car.

If it was someone in an Edsel cutting donuts in the infield, I think the tone would be different.

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

Team Sensory Assault wrote:

It does sound like there is a LOT of butthurt in this thread because someone brought a faster car.

If it was someone in an Edsel cutting donuts in the infield, I think the tone would be different.

THIS!  Times 1000000000000000.

It's not that they had a faster car it's that they drove with no regard for others safety. They drove like @$$holes

42 (edited by stimpyvan 2013-12-10 10:37 AM)

Team Sensory Assault wrote:

On the other hand, some of us that saw the car that had gone head-on into the inside wall at Turn 1 and the safety crew putting the driver into an ambulance may have thought that some cars were being driven pretty recklessly.  (To be clear, the car that hit the wall, was not the car being driven recklessly.  It was the car that put her there that I'm referring to).

I don't mind people having faster cars.  There are plenty of those.  I just prefer not to be hit by them every time they pass me.

~Van

13X losers (or is 14 now?) refusing to learn from our failures.
Organizer's Choice!  Trophy should have a bottle opener on it.

I'll admit I was laughing, but I also thought they were very agressive on track. Fast car or not.

I don't mind people having faster cars.  There are plenty of those.  I just prefer not to be hit by them every time they pass me.
~Van

And that, friends, is the quote of the thread.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

stimpyvan wrote:

What he said.  There were plenty of faster cars pulling off questionable passes this weekend (I love the ones that almost force me off the track by trying to move back into my lane prior to completing the pass, after I gave them a point by).  There were also the usual faster cars pulling off completely safe passes.

For what it's worth, this particular BMW didn't pull any questionable passes on me in my 4+ hours on the track Saturday and Sunday.

bs

Donuts were funny. Bitch about their driving somewhere else.

stimpyvan wrote:

~Van

+100 on that.  I may be wrong but my understanding is that the white/purple V* volvo with the big box flares is part of that bunch.  If so, I'm wouldn't be upset to see those guys go too.  Both the Volvo and M3 people drove like asshats.  As others have pointed out, fast cars aren't the problem/jealousy.  Cerveza, Eyesore and MTGT are much faster than the majority of the cars but it's very rare for them to do needlessly stupid stuff.  I have huge respect for them.  They work around you on track without any drama whereas the M3 and Volvo just blew through you.  After they hit, they'd just wave.

I don't have an issue with the hooning.  The 12-13 hours those cars were on track is a different story.  Let's put it this way, if the Curse was still around my ballot would have had those two cars on it and I would happy the see the grader.  The hooning might have been the last straw.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

I drive slow cars so the risk of pulling off any (asshat) passes is severely reduced

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

My guess would be it was a "line in the sand" move.  If they let one go this time, how many are trying to do it at the next race?

We also don't have all the info.  Maybe Jay smelled alcohol on the driver's breath.  Just sayin'.

We may never know all the details, and I am fine with that.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

Having been directly involved in managing on track events I can tell you this; Behavior like that cannot be tolerated at all. More than likley the guys that run the Lemons race got an ear full from the track manager. Also if they let Jackassery like this happen it will get out of hand and some one will get hurt.

This is not nam dude there are rules!