Re: Banned for life?

firegremlin wrote:

I donno about the whole $500 car sold to a friend who turned it into a racecar thing.

You forgot sold to friend who turned it into a race car that he is driving for meaning it is also his racecar.   Did you recieve the $500, or was that your payment to race it, or did you get $500 plus got to race for free.

Probably best you weren't there for BS or the laps would have gone up.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Festus wrote:

Just to be very clear, I did not sell the car to myself - I sold it to someone else who turned it into a race car.

It appears there was a little more to it than that, since you already pointed out that:

Festus wrote:

When a friend offered $500 to turn it into a race car that I could drive, I jumped at the chance.

This sure sounds like a situation covered by Rules 4.1.1 and 4.1.2, which state, in part:

...parts given to you by your buddies ...that crap doesn't impress us. It's worth whatever the last real guy paid in the last real purchase.

As 4.1.2 points out, it's the "same deal" for cars as it is for parts.

Would you just as eagerly have sold the car to a total stranger for $500, knowing in advance that you'd never see it again?  That's the spirit of the rules.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

firegremlin wrote:

I donno about the whole $500 car sold to a friend who turned it into a racecar thing.

I don't buy it either.  The car was sold to a team that the seller ended up driving with.  Certainly seems to go against the spirit of the rules, if not an actual rule violation.  I'd ask the same question mharrell did - would you have sold that car to a total stranger for $500?  If so, please keep me in mind next time you have a ringer for sale..

bs

They got laps, so it's not like it's not like Phil or Jonny or Matt bought their story. They brought a car, knew they'd get laps, got laps, and raced. I figured an M3 would show up eventually and get penalized to all hell, just like the GTO and the RX-8. And it happened that way. Big deal.

Driving quality seems to be an entirely different issue, but they'll learn the ropes. Endurance racing and Lemons specifically are totally different beasts than most people are used to.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

BoB wrote:
firegremlin wrote:

You forgot sold to friend who turned it into a race car that he is driving for meaning it is also his racecar.   Did you recieve the $500, or was that your payment to race it, or did you get $500 plus got to race for free.

Yes, I was paid for the car.  Yes, I paid to race in it this weekend.  TANSTAAFL.

therood wrote:

They got laps, so it's not like it's not like Phil or Jonny or Matt bought their story. They brought a car, knew they'd get laps, got laps, and raced. I figured an M3 would show up eventually and get penalized to all hell, just like the GTO and the RX-8. And it happened that way. Big deal.

But for how many races will the BS laps continue? At some point, have they paid the price for their cheatery and the car will go scot free?

82 (edited by fleming95 2013-12-11 05:39 PM)

jbmfg1 wrote:

My first race, Sears Oct. 2011, I had a chance to talk with Jay a bit.  I just sort of chit chatted with him and at one point he told me that there are three rules to Lemons: 1. Don't be a dick  2. Don't be a dick  3. Don't be a dick.  He said everything else will work it self out. 

When I and the Dually made contact in turn 7, I went over to them and gave their driver a bottle of scotch and apologized profusely.  We went back and forth blaming our selves, me for diving in and him for turning in.  Did I have the line?  Sure.  Should I have waited to pass, absolu-freakin-tely!!!  It is racing and stuff happens.

<snip>

I'm the other half of this. . . meeting. . . as I was in the RV at the time.

I was _floored_ and very flattered when I got that bottle of Bulleit Rye for being hit!  I honestly didn't quite know what to say.

I'll be bringing my own 'apologies bottle' to races from now on - ya gotta do something when you mess up someone else's day.

<edit>

And if you don't make any mistakes, you get to take it home yourself!

</edit>

(And I would have been more than happy to have given 'the line' up, had I known there was the 2nd car back there two or 3 seconds after the first passed me on the right.  It was _not _ a lovetap, for sure!  But I wouldn't have a bottle of Bulleit happily waiting for me at home right now.  Choices, choices. . .)

But back to the topic at hand - doing doughnuts is cool.  But ya gotta do it in your own sandbox, ok?

bshorey wrote:
firegremlin wrote:

I don't buy it either.  The car was sold to a team that the seller ended up driving with.  Certainly seems to go against the spirit of the rules, if not an actual rule violation.  I'd ask the same question mharrell did - would you have sold that car to a total stranger for $500?  If so, please keep me in mind next time you have a ringer for sale..

bs

I waded into this thread to apologize for my aggressive driving, but it seems like folks are more concerned with the car.  So, last comments from me on that front: I tried to sell the car locally for $3K (no takers), then $2K (ditto), then $1K (same).  I parked it at a common intersection in my neighborhood with a 'FOR SALE' sign on it, and the only potential taker I got was a local kid who offered me $600 for it, but never showed up with the money.  It was wasting away in my garage, so I sold it to the first person who gave me a check.

Honestly, if you have further questions about the car/prep, please take them up with the team owner.  In all of my dealings with him, he's been an honest and decent guy, who loves racing as much as any of us.  Yes, it's racing, but I doubt he'd go out of his way to be blatantly cheaty - he knew the car was going to be a tough sell in BS, and came prepared for that.  I've seen a GTO, several classic muscle cars in decent shape, several 7-series, and an S-Class come through tech this year, and all were allowed to race - I'm guessing they got penalty laps too.  Honestly, if the Lemons judges deemed it fit to race and assessed what they thought were fair penalty laps, continued discussion here is somewhat moot.

If you want to discuss my driving, I am happy to speak for myself, including apologies as needed.  I hope I've made it clear that I feel (very) badly about any offense I caused this weekend, and am going out of my way to correct the problem as quickly and effectively as I can.  As I said in my OP, I'm not here to win, I'm here to have fun, improve my skills, and continue meeting excellent people through racing.

84 (edited by therood 2013-12-11 12:43 PM)

mattlqx wrote:
therood wrote:

But for how many races will the BS laps continue? At some point, have they paid the price for their cheatery and the car will go scot free?

All of them and No.

Probably, at least. Just as the RX-8 and GTO are never going to win, the M3 is never going to win.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

85 (edited by TeamPettyCash 2013-12-11 12:50 PM)

therood wrote:

Just as the RX-8 and GTO are never going to win, the M3 is never going to win.

Exactly why this is a moot subject (the M3 part I mean, the doughnuts are another matter).

30 Time Loser with Class C, Index of Effluency, I got Screwed and Heroic Fix Trophies who usually races, according to Car and Driver, The Greatest Road Racing Cherokee in History.

Check out our FB Page and follow our various exploits.

apology bottles are an interestimg idea. should there also be penance boxes? offending drivers must imbibe in apology for their offense? one box of franzia for each offense?

I don't care that an m3 showed up. I trust the judges to penalize the potential out of any "real" sporting cars. they wont let some ringer show up and steal the show. at least not intentionally.

at least one offending driver had the courage to admit fault and ignorance with intentions to improve. and another was reprimanded for his part in the misbehavior on track. let us hope that they return more in the spirit of things, and have a terrible engine stuffed in the bimmer. something with pushrods and/or compression ratios nowhere between 6:1 and 20:1

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

Hey Festus-

Since we have some somewhat similar backgrounds (motorcycle racing) let me put it like this: Imagine that it would hurt as much as if you punted someone on the racetrack while on your bike. Bad for everyone.

I came through Lemons in the early days where we got away with lots of stuff that would get you excommunicated nowadays- but after I got over the novelty of 'wow, I can slide A LOT and not die!' I learned how to manage the car in a similar way to bike riding in that you still have your $1.00 of grip and can spend it in more or less productive ways...

But aside from that, especially when you have a car that has lots of power, it can go two ways:
One, which I think your team fell into to some degree- "I can pass everyone and then jam into the line whenever I want! This is great! Step to the side, suckas!"  Which gets you a crunched car when someone finally won't yield to your superior-ness or worse. And equals a multi-page screed of jerkholes like me telling you what a DICK you were, even if it wasn't you. smile

Alternately Two: "I'll set this up a little in advance and this guy(s) will never know I was there until s(he) can't possibly hit me even if they WANTED to!" Which is the Cerveza/Eyesore method. This often means you have to leave a second or two on the table that lap, but that's how you win an endurance race, especially Lemons.

Cheers
-Anton

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 145 races and counting.
5/18/24

X-args wrote:

Hey Festus-

Since we have some somewhat similar backgrounds (motorcycle racing) let me put it like this: Imagine that it would hurt as much as if you punted someone on the racetrack while on your bike. Bad for everyone.

I came through Lemons in the early days where we got away with lots of stuff that would get you excommunicated nowadays- but after I got over the novelty of 'wow, I can slide A LOT and not die!' I learned how to manage the car in a similar way to bike riding in that you still have your $1.00 of grip and can spend it in more or less productive ways...

But aside from that, especially when you have a car that has lots of power, it can go two ways:
One, which I think your team fell into to some degree- "I can pass everyone and then jam into the line whenever I want! This is great! Step to the side, suckas!"  Which gets you a crunched car when someone finally won't yield to your superior-ness or worse. And equals a multi-page screed of jerkholes like me telling you what a DICK you were, even if it wasn't you. smile

Alternately Two: "I'll set this up a little in advance and this guy(s) will never know I was there until s(he) can't possibly hit me even if they WANTED to!" Which is the Cerveza/Eyesore method. This often means you have to leave a second or two on the table that lap, but that's how you win an endurance race, especially Lemons.

Cheers
-Anton

Where is the "like" button?

Your Miata Parts Pimp

Festus wrote:

FWIW, Mr. Donuts & Jay have discussed the on-track events and come to an amicable resolution/restitution.

I really hope part of the deal is that he has to continue to be referred to as "Mr. Donuts." I like the sound of that name a lot. I think I'll get my first ever cat just to name him Mr. Donuts.

90 (edited by stimpyvan 2013-12-11 01:31 PM)

Wendell34 wrote:
Festus wrote:

FWIW, Mr. Donuts & Jay have discussed the on-track events and come to an amicable resolution/restitution.

I really hope part of the deal is that he has to continue to be referred to as "Mr. Donuts." I like the sound of that name a lot. I think I'll get my first ever cat just to name him Mr. Donuts.

Definitely a theme there.

Festus,
I appreciate you taking your lumps and stating a goal to not be "that guy" on track.  Also, what X-args says (I've heard that he is some kind of hot-shoe driver himself).

~Van

13X losers (or is 14 now?) refusing to learn from our failures.
Organizer's Choice!  Trophy should have a bottle opener on it.

Festus has the right attitude, and we should be encouraging him in his endeavor to be a better driver, especially of a BMW.  What are we complaining about, that BMW drivers are asshats with no regard for others?  And he's apologizing and expressing a desire to become a better driver and play nice?  Throw him out!

Also, since when are we the "$500 CAR MY ASS!!!!!1!!eleven!" types?  I thought we mocked those so-called Internet Car Experts.  Besides, his story is even plausible, what's a <$4k (according to KBB) car that needs $3600 of cats (to be street legal) worth?  Jay and Phil know cars, I trust them to BS fairly.

15x+ Loser, thinks he's a Real Racer(tm)
Rotaries are great, everyone should try them.

Wendell34 wrote:
Festus wrote:

I really hope part of the deal is that he has to continue to be referred to as "Mr. Donuts."

Oh, he so needs, "Mr. Donuts" embroidered on his fire suit.

-jt
Unionized Physicist
Tetanus Racing
1986 Porsche 944, #986

X-args wrote:

Hey Festus-

Cheers
-Anton

*like*

Fuck it, I think this thread has shown that I'm adult enough to take the heat for my behavior, or that of anyone else on my team.  If people were offended by it, I do truly apologize.  Honestly, the only reason I haven't offered my actual name here has more to do with the permanence of the interwebs rather than any desire to dodge culpability - anyone who's seen me in the Lemons pits knows that I'm...easy to pick out.

I do think it's important to clarify that I am not an experienced racer, on two wheels or four.  Before I sat in my primary car (B-class) in March, I'd never driven/ridden a hot lap other than a motorcycle track day at Mid-Ohio 10+ years ago.  So, everything I know about picking a line, working through traffic, etc. has been gleaned from the "new driver" meetings, my experience on the street, and my observations this year watching cars with vastly different capabilities move around each other (to be frank, there were several fast cars I diced with this weekend that seemed to be behaving the same way, so I thought it was okay).  I've gotten lots of compliments from my team members about my smoothness and speed (including Anton and many other very experienced Lemons drivers who I respect a great deal).  Not a single person complained about my driving until this weekend, so I didn't realize I had a problem to correct.  Now I know, and I'm going to work on that just like every other skill in my toolset.

At the end of the day, I like to think I can take criticism.  I also believe that much of my offending behavior may simply be due to ignorance, which I'm working on.  If you have other suggestions, I'm happy to hear them - Lemons is a place where being a welcome part of the community is more important (to me, at least) than winning.  If I can be a polite driver and still beat your ass, stellar. 

Anton, I guess your comment to me after the race was closer than you thought, eh?

almitydave wrote:

Also, since when are we the "$500 CAR MY ASS!!!!!1!!eleven!" types?  I thought we mocked those so-called Internet Car Experts.  Besides, his story is even plausible, what's a <$4k (according to KBB) car that needs $3600 of cats (to be street legal) worth?  Jay and Phil know cars, I trust them to BS fairly.

For what it's worth, I was only responding to the proclamation that there are in fact $500 M3's to be had.  As long as it involves selling it to your team mates.  There are also free Ferrari's, I know somebody who's daddy gave them one to drive in college.

I'm speaking as somebody who's been given two free cars (Alfa Berlina, Porsche 914) since I arrived in California.  Neither of those were given by future team mates (Judge Phil, are you listening??).

I'm glad Mr Donut (love that name!) and Jay came to a resolution.  I hope part of it was theming the car as such:

http://www.mister-donut.com/welcome.htm

And festus, hope to see you back as well.

bs

I doubt it was the post race hooning alone that got Jay's goat.

Other teams have hoon'd during the post race parade this past year.

http://youtu.be/XfUn7Q-jvvk

I don't think Speedy's burnout was dangerous given the lame rear diff in the 'Spirit of Lemons'.  I didn't see this stunt.

2012 North Dallas Hooptie Judge's Choice Winners
If life gives you Lemons, install racing brakes!
https://www.facebook.com/JoBoRacing

Festus wrote:

Since I know the car, the fact that I made significant contact twice this weekend is inexcuseable.  In the first, I was coming up the inside line into T1 when the black coupe to my right came in quickly onto the line quickly - that cost me a mirror - and one on the front straight when I got squeezed out between the drag strip wall and another car to my left.  I was not rear-ended in T11 (that might have been a teammate), and don't believe I made any other noticeable contact during my time in the car.  In both of the above instances, I thought I had a clear lane, and watched it disappear while I was in it.  My driving was too aggressive in general, and I probably shouldn't have taken the chance either time.  If you were in one of those cars, I owe you an apology now, and a six-pack at our next race.

Festus, that black coupe was me.  I was pretty pissed at the time as i had just completed our teams fastest lap of the weekend and finally felt i had the car dialed in, only to get a BF and was forced to exit.  I waited in the penalty area for a good 10-15 minutes to have a chat with you but never saw you come in. 

I dont fault you guys at all for having a fast car but if youre going to fly by people, do it safely.  Thankfully the only damage was to our cars and no one got hurt.   I respect you for jumping on this forum, having a dialogue and giving an apology.  I'll see you guys at the next race!!!  oh yeah, and i like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale   smile

97 (edited by X-args 2013-12-11 02:10 PM)

Festus-
Yeah, I really attributed it more to ignorance than malice, but it gets you some of the same coin around here...

I do think you have better-than-average car control, and with that comes the ability to start using more of your attention on strategy/racecraft.

I'm still not where I want to be in terms of Cerveza-level zen (I found myself stuck behind cars for longer than necessary because I wasn't looking at the 300ft view) but it's nice to be able to have the luxury of taking car control for granted (mostly).

Lemons is like few other racing disciplines in the huge disparities in driver skill.

I'm still beating myself up over Sophie's crash- it was avoidable but she has never had enough real-world training to know what to do or practiced enough to make it instinct. It was a hell of a thing to be 150 ft back and watch it happen, knowing the moment to save it had passed...

-Anton

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 145 races and counting.
5/18/24

atomic2797 wrote:

Festus, that black coupe was me.  I was pretty pissed at the time as i had just completed our teams fastest lap of the weekend and finally felt i had the car dialed in, only to get a BF and was forced to exit.  I waited in the penalty area for a good 10-15 minutes to have a chat with you but never saw you come in.

I was waiting for a flag too, but didn't see one with my number - I know there was above-average levels of contact this weekend, and just figured the delay was because they were clearing the penalty box of previous penalty award-winners.  As soon as I saw my number a few laps later, I came in, talked to the judges, and was sent back out.  If you want to harangue me at Sears in March, I'm buying...even if you do drink shitty beer wink

racerxr wrote:

I doubt it was the post race hooning alone that got Jay's goat.

Other teams have hoon'd during the post race parade this past year.

http://youtu.be/XfUn7Q-jvvk

I don't think Speedy's burnout was dangerous given the lame rear diff in the 'Spirit of Lemons'.  I didn't see this stunt.

well isn't that funny. someone does donuts where the closest people are sitting strapped inside a caged car and everyone is up in arms. Speedy does a burn out while pointed at people and it's the greatest thing ever.....

lame diff or not, he was hooning while pointed at people....

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

X-args wrote:

I'm still beating myself up over Sophie's crash- it was avoidable but she has never had enough real-world training to know what to do or practiced enough to make it instinct. It was a hell of a thing to be 150 ft back and watch it happen, knowing the moment to save it had passed...

Yeah, I was really afraid that someone had been seriously hurt; when I found out it was Sophie, I was beyond relieved that she was okay.

Anyone know what happened to the driver of the E30 (I think) that rolled coming out of the Carousel?  The cage looked completely intact when it came in on the flatbed - did s/he come out relatively unscathed?