Re: Banned for life?

Likey

Your Miata Parts Pimp

I don't even care about the donuts... E36 M3 in Lemons is complete horseshite.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

mhrir wrote:

Agreed. I don't see what the plane car did as any different than the M3. Both showed a total lack of judgement. It appears to me (correct me if I am wrong) that due to the celebrity of the plane car and it's team principle this reckless act was overlooked. And yes I think it was reckless. What if the tire on the plane car had blown out and sent chunks of steel belted tire into the crowd who were only feet away? And god forbid someone lost an eye or worse? I can think of a thousand terrible things that could have happened by doing a burnout in that setting.

While I did not see the plane do a burnout, and I have completely enjoyed this thread.   There is a huge difference between a well established Lemon's racer doing a burnout in an airplane and a new racer, whose team was in hock for their driving over the weekend doing donuts.

I see it, sorry you cannot.

As a 15+ time loser, we are afforded a few luxuries (if you can call them that).  Your car is known by the judges, they mock you for driving the same piece of crap, and sometimes boo you as you head onto the track.  But when you and your team have done move than 1/2 the races without a penalty (yes that is true) when you get one, they cut you a bit of slack.   So there is a double standard, but it has typically been earned.

Do you see it now?

I admire the fact that one of the members of the team has come on this board and "repented" and I look forward to seeing these guys in the spring.

As for the M3, I have found one out east for $2500, it is rough but it runs.  I am pretty sure I can salvage some $2000 worth of parts from the car leaving me a $500 M3.  While that might not be exactly what has happened here, it can be done and now I feel like I need to try……..(just for the fun of it).

Chump Ganasee Targee Racing Eagle Talon
formerly #98 We Each Hit Racing Toyota Paseo
2 Time Vodden "B" Class Winner - 2012, 2013
Best finish ever for a DSM - 3rd 2013 Vodden

PunBB bbcode test

Spinnetti wrote:

You mean like an LS400?

the Syndicate - 30 losses and counting ...
89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

131 (edited by Speedycop 2013-12-14 09:03 AM)

mhrir wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:
Speedycop wrote:

it sets a dangerous precedent if left unchecked. What happens when five others follow suit? Then ten?

But that's exactly the point I was making.... You were coming off track, aimed at a crowd of people  all standing right there. Just because you claim that it was safe to do in the plane doesn't mean that is safe to do for the next car behind you. And what if the next three cars had all said "well, if he's doing it, it must be ok"? Not everyone knows the ins and outs of the plane. I saw people smiling and laughing at the M3 donuts just the same as the burnout in the plane.

I"m just saying, if you're going to draw a line that says no hooning, then enforce the line.

Agreed. I don't see what the plane car did as any different than the M3. Both showed a total lack of judgement. It appears to me (correct me if I am wrong) that due to the celebrity of the plane car and it's team principle this reckless act was overlooked. And yes I think it was reckless. What if the tire on the plane car had blown out and sent chunks of steel belted tire into the crowd who were only feet away? And god forbid someone lost an eye or worse? I can think of a thousand terrible things that could have happened by doing a burnout in that setting.

Wow.

Just wow.

Tell you what,  if you can think of a thousand terrible things that could have happened with a very experienced (20 years) and proven (35ish Lemons races) racer doing a one wheel peel in a vehicle where the fender nearly touches the ground, traveling in a straight line at the pace of a very slow walk, you should really avoid auto racing altogether. After all,  you could probably avoid a hundred million terrible things that could happen that way (based on your math and logic).

All hooning is not equal, especially from a safety standpoint.
Some drivers are more proven/trusted then others.
An E36 M3 is not even remotely in the spirit of the series. No offense intended to the team---that's just the reality of Lemons.

I got a chuckle out of the donuts too, and I was judging at Sonoma. Hooning IS entertaining. That said, a random car spinning in circles after a race DOES present a concern for Jay, and I fully expected him to address it. If I had done those donuts at the end of Sonoma, I would have been chewed out too.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Jackasic wrote:
Spinnetti wrote:

You mean like an LS400?

A heavy, cheap (LOTS of them around for Lemons money) luxury car is NOT the same thing as an E36 M3.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)

Speedycop wrote:

Wow.

Just wow.

Tell you what,  if you can think of a thousand terrible things that could have happened with a very experienced (20 years) and proven (35ish Lemons races) racer doing a one wheel peel in a vehicle where the fender nearly touches the ground, traveling in a straight line at the pace of a very slow walk, you should really avoid auto racing altogether. After all,  you could probably avoid a hundred million terrible things that could happen that way (based on your math and logic).

All hooning is not equal, especially from a safety standpoint.
Some drivers are more proven/trusted then others.
An E36 M3 is not even remotely in the spirit of other series. No offense intended to the team---that's just the reality of Lemons.

I got a chuckle out of the donuts too, and I was judging at Sonoma. Hooning IS entertaining. That said, a random car spinning in circles after a race DOES present a concern for Jay, and I fully expected him to address it. If I had done those donuts at the end of Sonoma, I would have been chewed out too.

you're getting awfully defensive for someone who thinks they're in the right. And completely missing the point I made. Ignoring the subject of whether or not the plane burnout was safe (because it's clear we won't agree and it's not worth continuing that fight), there is the larger issue which you yourself brought up. And that is other cars joining in thinking it's ok to do. What if the next car behind you had thought it was ok, but didn't really know what they were doing and had accidentally launched into the people lining pit out?

To be clear, I've got nothing against celebrating. I thought the donuts were funny and harmless for the most part. And you can be damn sure i'm sympathetic to teams fielding terrible or weird cars wanting to celebrate making it to the end. But I clearly disagree on what is the right way to do that.

anyway, that's enough of my energy into the fight. Hit back, ignore me, I don't care. I've said my piece.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

I think all the cars should do donuts at the end of the race, like synchronized swimming,  then lined up and set on fire.

This space for rent.

I'm not missing anything.

Maybe the countless thousands of hours I've personally spent building unusual cars to make the series more interesting and entertaining has earned me a little leeway. Maybe the 5 years of mostly very fast and clean racing has earned me a little leeway. Maybe no leeway was granted at all, and the powers that be recognized my smokeshow for what it was---a one-time celebration of a fairly epic achievement in a safe and controlled manner. The cars behind me at CMP had enough sense to recognize that the plane built solely for spectator entertainment was doing just that, and not follow suit.

Hooning is hella-butt-ass entertaining. That's why we're all here. If you can't differentiate between a safe, controlled burnout by a well-known competent driver, and a car that had already caused issues spinning in circles, too bad. FWIW, I'm glad it was sorted and there was no lifetime ban.

NSF wrote:

I think all the cars should do donuts at the end of the race, like synchronized swimming,  then lined up and set on fire.

New series: RaceBurn America!

137 (edited by fleming95 2013-12-14 11:11 AM)

Now we're talking!  If this theme gets done well Mr. Donut might be invited back for a post-race donut show in the spring!

This:

bshorey wrote:

PunBB bbcode test

is good.  Add a Donut Robot Mark II - "capacity approximately 37 dozen donuts per hour":

http://www.belshaw-adamatic.com/ecom_img/original-79-146-donut-robot-mark-ii-gas.jpg

and you're golden - deliciously deep-fried!

I look forward to meeting our new robot masters at Sonoma in March!

(lemony glaze, please, on blueberry cake)!

(and, thinking outside the box, bacon with maple glaze)!

DO IT and DOMINATE!

Speedycop wrote:

Maybe the countless thousands of hours I've personally spent building unusual cars to make the series more interesting and entertaining has earned me a little leeway. Maybe the 5 years of mostly very fast and clean racing has earned me a little leeway. Maybe no leeway was granted at all, and the powers that be recognized my smokeshow for what it was---a one-time celebration of a fairly epic achievement in a safe and controlled manner. The cars behind me at CMP had enough sense to recognize that the plane built solely for spectator entertainment was doing just that, and not follow suit.

Hooning is hella-butt-ass entertaining. That's why we're all here. If you can't differentiate between a safe, controlled burnout by a well-known competent driver, and a car that had already caused issues spinning in circles, too bad. FWIW, I'm glad it was sorted and there was no lifetime ban.

I doubt the insurance providers for the event care how much time you've spent working on cars. 

I know it's worth about squat, but IMO the one you did Speedy was just as, if not more dangerous than the M3 hoonage, but as you pointed out for some people exceptions are made.   A brake failure on the plane like the one last weekend between the Cherokee and BMW would mean spectators are in harms way.   If I had I been in line, I would have backed way up.  Throttle sticking, tire shredding, engine seizing/ throwing a rod, sudden grip/launch into the crowd, and the people behind get a sweet shower of dust, rocks and rubber with added smoke screen.  It was just as dumb of a stunt as the M3 guys, but as you pointed out it's not the same treatment for everyone I guess.   If something bad happens, there goes everyone's fun!

Maybe this is the sort of stuff that is better suited for your upcoming TV show?  Whats the scoop on that anyway?

Teamgravy Racing > join us please @ http://www.facebook.com/Teamgravy

IOE winner & 2nd place Class C - North Dallas Hooptie 2013
2nd place Class C - Gator-o-Rama 2013

okay I wasn't there so I can say much about who was driving like a d!ck and when.....  Is an E36 M3 cheaty.....well the vast majority seems to think so...

Is Jay's ruling fair............thats a super easy answer "THAT'S UP TO JAY TO DECIDE"  Its his race, don't like it...go start your own (its in the rules somewhere)

However I see a bright future for this M3..............gotta roll the donut's into a theme........complete with HUGE donut on the roof and a REAL donut maker in the back, for slowly cruising the paddock (stationary is probably best) and giving out free donuts to all takers.....  I would pit next to Caffeine and have coffee and donuts together.....shoot even a real donut machine towed by the car only for inspection is still cool and every one loves free donuts....but which to you prefer....the kind you can eat, or the kind demonstrated before......

I forsee much domination for this M3's future

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

You be the judge, judges...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2VntYQDw90

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

I'm partial to Krispy Kreme but a Dunkin theme would suit as well. If that car does not have a chocolately glaze paint job WITH sprinkles in March at Sonoma, I'm going to be majorly disappointed. And if you have any doubts on your redemption, a few dozen from the Krispy Kreme in Concord would likely seal the deal (hint hint).

For a bunch of folks that hoon crappy cars till they splode it is amazing seeing so many this uptight.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

How many penalty laps did this car get, that it still finished 9th overall?

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Speedycop wrote:
Jackasic wrote:
Spinnetti wrote:

You mean like an LS400?

A heavy, cheap (LOTS of them around for Lemons money) luxury car is NOT the same thing as an E36 M3.

No arguing that!

Matt
Pilot, er, um... driver on the Southworst Racing #737 1985/9 5.0L Mustang Coupe
https://www.facebook.com/pg/SouthworstRacing/
You are now free to move about the track! We beat the competition, not you!

145 (edited by Speedycop 2013-12-15 03:32 PM)

hotdogwater wrote:
Speedycop wrote:

I doubt the insurance providers for the event care how much time you've spent working on cars. 

I know it's worth about squat, but IMO the one you did Speedy was just as, if not more dangerous than the M3 hoonage, but as you pointed out for some people exceptions are made.   A brake failure on the plane like the one last weekend between the Cherokee and BMW would mean spectators are in harms way.   If I had I been in line, I would have backed way up.  Throttle sticking, tire shredding, engine seizing/ throwing a rod, sudden grip/launch into the crowd, and the people behind get a sweet shower of dust, rocks and rubber with added smoke screen.  It was just as dumb of a stunt as the M3 guys, but as you pointed out it's not the same treatment for everyone I guess.   If something bad happens, there goes everyone's fun!

Maybe this is the sort of stuff that is better suited for your upcoming TV show?  Whats the scoop on that anyway?

You seriously want to perpetuate making a mountain out of a molehill, for the sake of argument?

Okay, I'll bite once more. Say my all-new brakes (calipers/pads/hoses/discs) suddenly and miraculously completely failed, while spinning one chronically gripless all-season 14" rear tire. Keep in mind, in my 20 years of drag racing burnouts (both racing and spectating, easily FIFTY THOUSAND or so), I've never seen that, but we'll say it somehow happened. I'm pointing a soft aluminum cone directly at the car in front of me. Only real damage would be my Cessna nose and my pride---IF I didn't yank the functional hand e-brake quickly enough. This applies to sudden grip/launch as well, although the laws of physics dictate that such a thing would be impossible (vehicle size/forward weight distribution/coarse road surface/tiny contact patch/high treadwear compound/open differential).

Throttle sticking? Please. Kill switch AND ignition key right at my fingertips.

Tire shredding/rocks kicked? I don't think so. My fenders almost touch the ground.
Exhibit A:
http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/6OQ0Dhl70F0vMymtshGiGA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NQ--/http://mit.zenfs.com/852/2013/03/speedycopspirit2.jpg

Spectators didn't appear to feel threatened. This guy followed closely with his camera:
Exhibit B - 3:35 mark
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRizBpvagm4

Engine seizing/throwing a rod? SERIOUSLY???
Did you consider that almost every Lemons racer revs their engine coming off track, or the fact that my mid-engined 4 cylinder has numerous layers of steel and aluminum between it and the spectators in a chassis that sits low to the ground? You'd back away? Really? There are several seemingly nervous/cowardly types here---kinda shocking for purported hoons.

Somebody better ban Matt Farah for life too----his two big, sticky tires here could have kicked far more stuff up!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nee3aNTDNL8

As far as my "dumb" stunts and anything in the pipeline, why even ask about something if I have already stated I am legally prevented from discussing it?

For those not skurred of tire smoke emanating FROM A FREAKING AIRPLANE, thanks for the support, both here and by email.

I've seen speedycop do stupid things. like race the x90, allegedly ironman style, ramp things, crash things, race a camper, an airplane, an upside down car, half a car, a car against trophy trucks, and a pedal car against men. If I had to choose a single word to describe these things, I'd use the word "FUCKING AWESOME!" not "dangerously irresponsible"

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

147 (edited by jiggermyster 2013-12-15 05:37 PM)

I don't have a dog in the fight, and I'm not a physicist, so maybe one of the resident scientists would do the math.
I'm just looking at this from a seat of the pants perspective.
Speedy was doing  maybe 3 miles per hour during the brake stand.
IF the brakes failed, and the throttle stuck, and the airplane fell off the chassis, the car might accelerate to ten miles an hour before Speedy had time to turn off the ignition, hit the kill switch, yank the hand brake, pull the fire extinguishers, deploy the drag chutes, and stick a leg out and drag his foot...
A ton or so just isn't going to accelerate very quickly with an open diff and one tire ablaze.
Certainly doesn't have the same momentum as an E36 going 30 mph...

HOW DARE YOU BRING SCIENTOLOGY TO THIS DEBATE!

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

tSoG wrote:

HOW DARE YOU BRING SCIENTOLOGY TO THIS DEBATE!

Beer actually did  come out my nose...  And that stings!

Glad someone finally got this thread back on track though.

~Van

13X losers (or is 14 now?) refusing to learn from our failures.
Organizer's Choice!  Trophy should have a bottle opener on it.

I'm not rying to jump on the band wagon against the burn out that speedy cop did I happen to think he eptimizes the essense of Lemons, I actually had the car right behind him when this was going on. I can tell you that things CAN happen beyond your control as evidence of a close friend of mine walking behind a car at the dragstrip doing a burn out that ran over a spark plug  It came out from under his tire with enough force that it to passed completely through his leg which then became infected and he almost lost his leg. So cool as it was there is always the possibility of something going wrong no matter how careful you might think you are. That guy following behind with the camera would probably be singing a different tune if you had picked up a rock or bolt, or something that may have been laying on the surface and slung it back at him.

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B