Re: So, we went the way of the devil and got an e30, but also 49 dodge pu

Yeah, I have been starting the truck every couple days for about a minute and a half(don't want it to overheat, no coolant) in the hope that the carb gets cleaned up a bit through use.  I will probably pull the carb off and clean/put new gaskets in it this weekend.  Also make a gas pedal for it.

So how is the ol dodge comin along?

Captain of the Speedholes Wrenching #365 1965 Rambler Marlin and owner of the "Cockroach 454 Chevy Bigblock". Collector Emeritus of awful crapcans.
Earned every finish with Blood, Sweat, Tears,  Smoked brakes,dead wheelbearings, two blower explosions, and a never-ending thirst for more fuel. Finished em all! Currently hiding in a secret base in the shadow of the "Race to the Clouds".

Just a fyi my team did a Grumpy Cat theme last year:

http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LTH13/0054-Thunderhill_24_Hours_of_LeMons_2013-UG.jpg

Not that you shouldn't do it, just that you guys will need to step it up a notch smile

Hella Shitty Racing Goin' for Broken '10, Arse-Sweat '10, Arse-Freeze '10, Sears Pointless '11, Skankaway '11, Arse-Freeze '11, Arse-Sweat '12, Sears Pointless '13, Arse-Sweat '13, Northworst '13, Vodden '13, Pointless '14, Button Turrible '14, Arse-Freeze 2014,  Sears Pointless 2015, Arse Sweat 2015

Damn, ahwell our grumpy cat is going to be a different style than yours, we have all decided to make it the grumpy cat bmw spec car.  so think M stripe, yelling at eachother in german about tire pressures, alignment, corner weights etc, also everyone is going to be dressed as hitler, and 90% of the "sponser stickers" are going to be made up B.S.  Last thing on the bmw, we are going to have a keg out the back of the trunk during B.S inspection, what kind of frosty beverage do the judges like? (I like better than average beer)

Now the Dodge!  I took apart the carburator and gave it a deep cleaning, so now the accelerator pump works, float doesn't stick needle is free, etc(first time I have worked on a carb oddly enough)  Also now have an alternator in the truck(stolen off of a car headed to junkyard from shop, not sure what to write for parts cost.......)  also made some new spark plug cables(also not sure about how cost works, already had large spool of wire)  wired up a 15$ tach and oil pressure guage, pulled more wiring out of the truck (current plan is to build custom harness for it), took out the mono speaker, Also removed the radio out of it(wasn't plugged in anyways) removed all the cables that were completely frozen (choke, heater, heater box, and the original temp sensor cable)   I am realizing more and more that the average person sucks at wiring looking at all the crap the previous owner had done 20+ years ago.  The Major concern right now is the cooling system, I noticed that the fan had touched the radiator at some point, and I am not sure whether or not it leaks(bent the fins almos to the tubes)  also when I took the old hoses out they had a significant amount of rust powder in them...so I will probably find the strongest coolant detergent possible and flush it out a couple times.

Don't sweat cost on the Dodge until there is a supercharged 426 Hemi in it. Seriously.  The Judges will LOVE it. With the BMW, Better have a book with copious details on costs ,offset sales etc.....Jay has wanted a german car to do a Holocaust theme for awhile. I'll have to look and see if I can find that old thread. For some reason people are a bit squeamish about doing a full-on Nazi holocaust theme.....Too soon perhaps? Anyhow, THAT Theme should get you noticed....

Captain of the Speedholes Wrenching #365 1965 Rambler Marlin and owner of the "Cockroach 454 Chevy Bigblock". Collector Emeritus of awful crapcans.
Earned every finish with Blood, Sweat, Tears,  Smoked brakes,dead wheelbearings, two blower explosions, and a never-ending thirst for more fuel. Finished em all! Currently hiding in a secret base in the shadow of the "Race to the Clouds".

also if you are willing to go full Hitler, its not Grumpy cat you should be using as your guide:

http://www.catsthatlooklikehitler.com/kitler/pics/kitler2416.jpg

http://catsthatlooklikehitler.com/

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

A Kitler theme would be great.

Hey now we are talkin! KITLER!!!!!!1!!! YEAH!

Now I have to try to convince the rest of the team lol.  I may go as Charlie Chaplin, but only because a bowler hat is part of my daily attire.

I will loan you this for BS with the understanding it does not come back with grease or torn up. You could ride in the bed of the truck through BS in parade like fashion. It is post WW2 German officer's uniform.

http://www.pantingpolarbearracing.com/IMAG0245.jpg

'13  Sonoma - Class B Crown Vic, 14 Sonoma IOE - Race Rambler!, Autobahn Class C+IOE #Racevan!, '15 Thill IOE Winner - Omega!, '16 Ridge - IOE - Avanti!, '17 THill Class C Winner - Omega, Butt IOE - Race 411, Sonoma IOE - Aztek '18 Butt - IOE - Allante, MSR - IOE - '41 Olds - '19 Butt-Class C - Allante, '20 Covid, '21 THill-Class B - Omega, Sonoma - IOE and HWG  - Satellite, '22 Sonoma - HWG-Tojan

For Lemons, it will be close enough!  We are planning on going to Utah in may/june, as well as hoping HPR has a race this year.  Planning on working more on the truck this evening.

Guess I should update this, The BMW is running driving and stopping well, my team mates managed to find a msd box on craigslist for 40$ and stole a msd blaster coil from my garage to use, while they were installing it the fucked up the ignition wiring, so after I let them suffer a week I went over and found out that they somehow created a short from the ecu ignition sending wire to the frame, so new wire run and now it fired right up.  Downside is that with all the extra spark it was now arcing inside of the cap and causing a miss, so we made some spark plug wires for it, stole a cap and rotor off of a parts motor we had lying around, and now life is good again.  We also got a race seat for it, with M stripes off of craigslist for 150$ and one of our team mates had a 5 point harness that we threw in.

Now on to the dodge, well, I got new radiator hoses and was putting some water in and noticed it was still coming out faster than I could put it in, radiator is cracked......so I will have to pull it and try to make it hold water/find another radiator.  Started wiring up my harbor freight gauges in it and then my dad saw me doing that and decided to trade for a set of MOON gauges(he doesn't trust the 15$ oil pressure/temp/amp gauge cluster)  so guess I will put those in as well, have not found a race seat for it yet, but did throw a set of junkyard seats in it(they were in a luv, not sure original usage)  Also noticed that when truck runs it is leaking fuel from between the carb and the intake manifold, so I will have to make a gasket for that, does not leak at all when it isn't running.  In addition, I ordered a fuel pump for it, still hoping that a fuel cell falls in my lap, but we shall see how that goes.... I also got all of the old wiring out, and beginning to make my wiring harness from scratch, will have headlights, brake lights, horn, alternator, fuel pump, ignition....and that's probably it. might wire in a electric fan for the radiator, I have 15 or 20 computer fans lying around that are designed for 12 volts, so might make a block of them for the radiator.  I am assuming that replacing the frayed/cloth wiring is considered a safety item because it is a major fire hazard, could be wrong I guess.

If I was judging.....I'd let pretty much everything short of a full race Hemi count as safety equipment on a '49 Pickup. Bring a convincing story, I'd probably let ya run the Hemi. Wiring is not getting you ANY hassle on this or probably any vehicle until something really strange is going on...make it safe and reliable. Don't Sweat it. Not that I'm Judging, but that's my take.

I've got a 2008 Trailblazer radiator in Arvada that you can have for free, unless RichVS has sold it already.

Gauges are budget-exempt in Lemons, by the way. They are considered "driver comfort."

I kind of assumed that, just figure I would update on what the status is, any bets on how many bs laps the e30 is going to get?  relatively decent condition 318i with a m20 motor in it, headers, cone air filter, and MSD box.  bought in non-running condition, had to re-wire about half the car which is why it was so cheap.

Ah-well, time for me to go run some more wire in the dodge(seems like I am doing more and more wiring lately)

I ain't making no promises on BS inspections for an E30. I'm already bored by your E30, and I haven't even seen it. Concentrate on the truck and everything will be fine.

Bringing a BMW to Lemons is like having Olympians at the Special Olympics. Sure, they are gonna win but who wants to watch that?

As for parts for the Dodge, what are the approximate dimensions for the radiator? I might have a few I'd donate if they'll work. What side is the lower hose on? I'd help that Dodge in a number of ways.

I will measure the radiator tomorrow, going over there to help pull the engine out of the Trailblazer.

Ok, the filler is on the radiator(can be changed), the top hose is in the center pointing down at a 45 degree angle, the bottom hose is on the passenger side pointing up and away from the motor at about a 45 degree angle.  Don't know measurements offhand, but will measure tomorrow.  There is no overflow tank on this truck.(again, can be changed)

Judge Phil wrote:

I ain't making no promises on BS inspections for an E30. I'm already bored by your E30, and I haven't even seen it. Concentrate on the truck and everything will be fine.

Will you please let us race if we promise to have a working beer tap out the trunk?

The Dodge needs to roll through tech with the E30 hanging on your bootyfabbed towtruck bed.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

Been done already. Also being as its Colorado, we have already seen some dope weed themes....but hey, surprise us.
BMW Themes should be really awesome to avoid penalty laps. They will ALWAYS let it run if there is space in the race. (There usually is in Denver)
Also, when you apply for the race, give hella good details about said theme. Nick and crew like seein something good and entertaining to read so go big!
Don't just give a lame one liner about what  theme ya gonna do. Hint: go read threads about themes we would like to see more of and themes that have been done to death..
(BTW, Miller signups are due by March 22)

wizard0ne0 wrote:

Will you please let us race if we promise to have a working beer tap out the trunk?

You get to race as long as you pass the tech inspection and your drivers have wristbands and legal race gear. The worst I'll do is give your E30 penalty laps.

Looking at Trailblazer radiators on eBay, it appears that the hoses go on the right side and it has a filler. According to teh internets, it has a 17.99" x 27.09" core.