Re: So, we went the way of the devil and got an e30, but also 49 dodge pu

cheseroo wrote:

The Mormon Meteor got the "Highway 17" penalty as well and had to follow the truck.  So for a few laps you had both the T-GT and the Meteor following the truck.  Dude in the truck had to be thinking WTF?

The battle for the lead was interesting to watch on Sunday until the T-GT guys stepped on their Oscar Meyers too  many times.  Volvo was out front, Balto ran it down and passed which seemed to wake them up.  T-GT then started the chase and passed the Volvo for the lead on the same lap they set fast time of the race.

That was a funny penalty.  Maybe a bit dangerous to hand out in a busier race.  We made a mistake and didn't inform our driver what was happening, so he actually was thinking, "WTF?" and checked up a couple times when he caught them because he thought he had missed a yellow flag.  I think that probably happened to some of the other drivers as well.

Van

13X losers (or is 14 now?) refusing to learn from our failures.
Organizer's Choice!  Trophy should have a bottle opener on it.

cheseroo wrote:

The Mormon Meteor got the "Highway 17" penalty as well and had to follow the truck.  So for a few laps you had both the T-GT and the Meteor following the truck.  Dude in the truck had to be thinking WTF?

I was the guy in the truck at that time and I could not for the life of me figure out what the deal was. Plenty of time to think while piloting the truck so you'd of thought I'd be able to puzzle it out, but no. I was trying to figure out what mechanical difficulties the Model T-GT would have that would cause them to run at our same speed and so respectfully two car lengths back.... It didn't come together for me until I was done with my stint and came back in paddock for the change out and Judge Phil rides up on his bike.

Anyway now I am playing around with uploading to Imgur while at work today (thank you RichVS) so stand by for my attempts to post pics in this thread.

http://i.imgur.com/y3Btr83.jpg

Testing if I can post pics here from Imgur. This picture attributed to Jeff Hanka of SLC, UT  Thx Jeff!

O.k. I can post pics. I'm from the liberal arts side of the campus so all this tech crap takes me a lot longer to figure out. Anyway, I will post a few throughout the day today. Here is a class C battle pic -- Truck vs Rover
http://i.imgur.com/9cDnZRK.jpg

riley62 wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/y3Btr83.jpg

Testing if I can post pics here from Imgur. This picture attributed to Jeff Hanka of SLC, UT  Thx Jeff!

Look closely at that picture. I think this is when a certain driver from a lightning fast car was driving a few laps in the truck and taking a few pictures of himself while doing it. Lots of time to do stuff while driving the Dodge. I completed a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle of a New England barn in Fall during my hour stint.

Wendell34 wrote:

Look closely at that picture. I think this is when a certain driver from a lightning fast car was driving a few laps in the truck and taking a few pictures of himself while doing it. Lots of time to do stuff while driving the Dodge. I completed a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle of a New England barn in Fall during my hour stint.

Ah yeah, we had a couple guest drivers in the afternoon Sunday. You are correct, he's taking a selfie, in the turn no less.

If that thing runs BFE later this summer I am donating a radio/speakers.

I may have inadvertently revived that penalty.  We were garaged next to HQ and they were next to the bathroom so I had plenty of opportunities to chat with the kids of Lemons.  At some point the People's Curse came up and I asked if his bus was the last car actually destroyed under the Curse.  (back then, the entry packet came with a curse ballot and you listed the car(s) who you thought deserved to be destroyed under the People's Curse).  Jay said he thought it was not his bus but at CMP.  In any case, there was no talk about reviving the Highway 17 penalty.

I think it was Reno 09 or 10 that Jay's VW bus was the write-in winner of the curse.  Back then, if you got the "Highway 17" penalty, they put the bus on track and you had to follow it around at 35mph or whatever (just like getting stuck behind an RV on Highway 17 to Santa Cruz).  I never had to deal with it but when the word went around the pits to write in the bus, we did so.  During our talk, Jay let on that he hated that bus and HQ was the one that initiated passing the word to write in the bus on the ballot.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

riley62 wrote:

O.k. I can post pics. I'm from the liberal arts side of the campus so all this tech crap takes me a lot longer to figure out. Anyway, I will post a few throughout the day today. Here is a class C battle pic -- Truck vs Rover
http://i.imgur.com/9cDnZRK.jpg

Sad in a way that the Rover has more body roll than the truck.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

http://i.imgur.com/bNzQCg7.jpg

Another one Jeff Hanka took.

riley62 wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/bNzQCg7.jpg

Another one Jeff Hanka took.

Great shot.  I can just hear the opening strains of Street Beater playing.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

http://i.imgur.com/zqgRVZM.jpg

riley62 wrote:
Wendell34 wrote:

Ah yeah, we had a couple guest drivers in the afternoon Sunday. You are correct, he's taking a selfie, in the turn no less.

If that thing runs BFE later this summer I am donating a radio/speakers.

Needs to play this song...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WqazleR3FE

http://i.imgur.com/H2snxkT.jpg

The Highway 17 resurrection was sort of spontaneously arrived at by several people at the same time when we were trying to come up with something more exciting than a simple time-out.  Plate of Shrimp.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

wizard0ne0 wrote:

Thanks everyone!  This truck was a shock to us all, including me and I built a most of it!  At the moment I am thinking about re-building the engine that is already in it and just keep on running it about how it is, maybe add a turbocharger or supercharger, we will see....a possible slant 6 conversion could also be fun.  Judge Phil really wants to see a straight 8 but that isn't really in my budget......The brakes and suspension were surprising on the truck, it actually was predictable and stable in the corners, and I feel like with more power it could actually be a reasonably quick vehicle.....maybe get the tires balanced and align the truck and it would do better.  Also replace the 20+ year old shocks and add a rear sway bar.  Overall I would say I had a FANTASTIC time out on the track over the weekend, especially for a complete rookie driver.  Going from a 3:05 minute lap to a 2:40 second lap was pretty decent, even if it was set on a yellow flag......(hey it was the only time I could actually follow the line for an entire lap without getting in peoples way!)

Just my opinion, but I think a junkyard turbo or SC setup on the flathead would be way cooler than any engine swap (aside from a straight 8, of course). And this is from a guy who already races a slant 6. How was the gearing on that thing? I read that you guys just kept it in 4th gear. Is the rear end gearing too short (numerically large), or did you just want to avoid breaking the transmission?

I would think twice before adding a rear swaybar. That's going to add oversteer, and I figure a truck with no weight in the back would already have a tendency to oversteer. Definitely a good idea to refresh whatever's there, though. Shocks, bushings, springs if necessary. But if the car already has oversteer, focus on stiffening up the front end first. Does it already have a front swaybar?

As you add power and speed, you're going to increase the tendency to break stuff that you wouldn't have before. Adding a turbo, for example, may necessitate an upgrade to the cooling system, or maybe an oil cooler. Might be a good idea to refresh the steering system, wheel bearings, etc. if you haven't already. Tire balance and wheel alignment are definitely good ideas to avoid premature tire wear. Balancing the driveshaft is also a good idea if you didn't do that before.

The great thing about racing something like this truck is that you have a lot of room for improvement, and I seriously doubt Judge Phil will care at all if you play fast and loose with the budgetary requirement. Good luck, and congrats again!

riley62 wrote:

I have plenty of pictures and am gathering more right now

I would like to share pics. I was on the team with the Dodge, and I have over 600 pics from the race.

Do any of those 600 pictures include the #19 ThunderChicken on the track?
Judge Phil's gallery did not catch the chicken on track....Just during BS
Thanks in advance,
Mike

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

BigBird wrote:
riley62 wrote:

I have plenty of pictures and am gathering more right now

I would like to share pics. I was on the team with the Dodge, and I have over 600 pics from the race.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

I wish the battery in my go pro wasn't dead at the time or else I'd have had AMAZING footage of your spin on the front straight. I thought for sure it was going backwards into the wall in a slow roll, but the driver finally put the brakes on. The front wheels were rolling until about 2 feet before it left the track. That driver needs to remember the "Spin? 2-feet-in" thing.

BigBird wrote:

Thanks in advance,
Mike

I have some, I am fiddling around trying to self teach some photo editing skills, to make the battles look good. I'm not even a photographer so I'm trying to edit pics that weren't that good to begin with. Anyway, here ya go.

http://i.imgur.com/A5bb3Fm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/CfDslUI.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/9dw4Ij3.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/KhzKzAK.jpg

Still playing around with it. I recropped that last one, trying to increase the drama.

http://i.imgur.com/cNqUx9k.jpg

Plus one where you were lining up Saturday morning to head out on track.

http://i.imgur.com/pcdPhvm.jpg

One more for BigBird Mike, but I couldn't leave out the truck.

http://i.imgur.com/QafRoO9.jpg

221 (edited by Brett85p 2014-06-03 11:15 PM)

SpaceFrank wrote:
wizard0ne0 wrote:

Thanks everyone!  This truck was a shock to us all, including me and I built a most of it!  At the moment I am thinking about re-building the engine that is already in it and just keep on running it about how it is, maybe add a turbocharger or supercharger, we will see....a possible slant 6 conversion could also be fun.  Judge Phil really wants to see a straight 8 but that isn't really in my budget......The brakes and suspension were surprising on the truck, it actually was predictable and stable in the corners, and I feel like with more power it could actually be a reasonably quick vehicle.....maybe get the tires balanced and align the truck and it would do better.  Also replace the 20+ year old shocks and add a rear sway bar.  Overall I would say I had a FANTASTIC time out on the track over the weekend, especially for a complete rookie driver.  Going from a 3:05 minute lap to a 2:40 second lap was pretty decent, even if it was set on a yellow flag......(hey it was the only time I could actually follow the line for an entire lap without getting in peoples way!)

Just my opinion, but I think a junkyard turbo or SC setup on the flathead would be way cooler than any engine swap (aside from a straight 8, of course). And this is from a guy who already races a slant 6. How was the gearing on that thing? I read that you guys just kept it in 4th gear. Is the rear end gearing too short (numerically large), or did you just want to avoid breaking the transmission?

I would think twice before adding a rear swaybar. That's going to add oversteer, and I figure a truck with no weight in the back would already have a tendency to oversteer. Definitely a good idea to refresh whatever's there, though. Shocks, bushings, springs if necessary. But if the car already has oversteer, focus on stiffening up the front end first. Does it already have a front swaybar?

As you add power and speed, you're going to increase the tendency to break stuff that you wouldn't have before. Adding a turbo, for example, may necessitate an upgrade to the cooling system, or maybe an oil cooler. Might be a good idea to refresh the steering system, wheel bearings, etc. if you haven't already. Tire balance and wheel alignment are definitely good ideas to avoid premature tire wear. Balancing the driveshaft is also a good idea if you didn't do that before.

The great thing about racing something like this truck is that you have a lot of room for improvement, and I seriously doubt Judge Phil will care at all if you play fast and loose with the budgetary requirement. Good luck, and congrats again!

it stopped really well, but did have a lot of body roll when pushed hard into the corners and didnt help always being on the worst line to let others past. I would go with some stiffer springs in the front and a little more hp to be a real class C contender.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

I got some shots of the ThunderChicken on the track, but they were too blurry to use. Sorry.

Spank wrote:

I wish the battery in my go pro wasn't dead at the time or else I'd have had AMAZING footage of your spin on the front straight. I thought for sure it was going backwards into the wall in a slow roll, but the driver finally put the brakes on. The front wheels were rolling until about 2 feet before it left the track. That driver needs to remember the "Spin? 2-feet-in" thing.

and I know better too. I was trying so hard to save it, right up till the last moment, when it completely rounded out. Brain fart.

M45 Racing,
#45 '08 Subaru WRX,Winner class A The Ridge, 2022
#4  '63 Studebaker Avanti, IOE, The Ridge 2016
#19 '90 Thunderbird Super Coupe(retired) Organizers Choice Award, Sears 2015

chdonley2 wrote:
Spank wrote:

and I know better too. I was trying so hard to save it, right up till the last moment, when it completely rounded out. Brain fart.

Chuck,
That spin was clearly audible in the pits, and it just seemed to go on and on and on.  I didn't find out that was you until much later, but I'm glad you didn't go into the wall.  That would have begun a trend of our pit neighbors destroying their cars.

Van

13X losers (or is 14 now?) refusing to learn from our failures.
Organizer's Choice!  Trophy should have a bottle opener on it.

I didn't see it and I didn't hear it, but I will say that produced the angriest flagger I have ever encountered. He pointed that flag at me like a gimlet eyed rifleman. Made me think about how you could read my car number as 19. I couldn't remember your number so I was not aware that the vitriol was for the Thunderchicken right behind me...

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)