Re: Real Hoopties of NJ 2014 - Who's in?

RobL wrote:
Red Lemons Racing wrote:
gtopat wrote:

Anyone know how many cars are expected? Emails say full up, so must be more than the 139 last year.

Good reason to have a few more east coast races...

Talking to HQ this past weekend - 160+ .  O.o

Yeah gonna be CRAZY out there.

160+ cars? Seriously? This is going to be fun.

who's car turns on at this point? Who's has an engine in it?

Mine falls into neither of those categories.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Mine runs.... we are working on making it stop tonight....

Holy crap 160 cars..... and I've got 3 totally GREEN A&D's running with me... I think I need to double my alcohol budget...and quick!

I guess there weren't  enough major crashes last year.... Or maybe the theory is, if we turn the track into the turnpike on memorial day, no one will have the opportunity to go fast enough to crash hard?

Blackmaven MotorSports -  Supporting the United Leukodystrophy Foundation - www.ulf.org
FOR SALE! '68 Ford Cortina - BUY ME HERE!
'04 Mitsu in the works
BlackmavenMotorsports on Facebook

We have this sticker for the rear window of the car

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w116/cegan09/FIRST%20TIME.jpg

It will be shown whenever my sister is driving. When any of the rest of us are driving we'll cover it with painter's tape. My hope is it will prevent maybe 5% of the insane dive-bombing and keep her a little more calm. We have discussed sticking to one side of the track and driving in a predictable manner. Hopefully all this adds up to no incidents this weekend for us.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

That's a fantastic idea.... I may have to whip up something similar!

Blackmaven MotorSports -  Supporting the United Leukodystrophy Foundation - www.ulf.org
'04 Mitsu in the works

131 (edited by Red Lemons Racing 2014-05-05 11:48 AM)

We just acquired a parts car today!   wahoo.  it's a hooptie but had some newer suspension on it so we got it for that and a spare engine and differential.

We are all set just want to screw with our suspension some what right now, the car is all over the place.  Got the car for 350 and it came with big ass subwoofer.

How about a SMV triangle when newbs are driving?  glue a magnet on the back and stick on the car when needed.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

I'm sure there are a million ways to signal the same thing. This is just what we landed on. Also zero chance of it falling off.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

TheEngineer wrote:

It will be shown whenever my sister is driving. When any of the rest of us are driving we'll cover it with painter's tape. My hope is it will prevent maybe 5% of the insane dive-bombing and keep her a little more calm. We have discussed sticking to one side of the track and driving in a predictable manner. Hopefully all this adds up to no incidents this weekend for us.

One suggestion though, don't let her drive the last hour or so of the race. It gets pretty crazy during that time with people really jockeying for position.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

chaase wrote:

One suggestion though, don't let her drive the last hour or so of the race. It gets pretty crazy during that time with people really jockeying for position.

yup, we plan on putting her out early afternoon on saturday, and then midday sunday. Hopefully that clears her of the insanity of the start and the red mist of the last hour. And by then some attrition should have set in.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

Red Lemons Racing wrote:

Got the car for 350 and it came with big ass subwoofer.

Awww, yeah!  Only one sub, though?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1.0-9/1395314_313010995503696_206360201_n.jpg

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

Yeah  only one but has some serious wiring issues going onto the amplifiers.  Has extension cords as wiring.

TheEngineer wrote:

Okay, I'll say it - I don't get it.  Stay 10.25" to the left and don't jump the car with less than 12" clearance?  Stay 10.25" to the left and don't let her tailgate closer than 12"?

Mod Squad Racing
http://twosrus.com

David Hawkins wrote:

Okay, I'll say it - I don't get it.  Stay 10.25" to the left and don't jump the car with less than 12" clearance?  Stay 10.25" to the left and don't let her tailgate closer than 12"?

Funny. That's the image the sticker guy sent me to make sure it was what I wanted.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

TheEngineer wrote:
David Hawkins wrote:

Funny. That's the image the sticker guy sent me to make sure it was what I wanted.

LOL...oh, der.   big_smile

Mod Squad Racing
http://twosrus.com

We'll be there with the #90 Suzuki X90 again. In it's 3rd outing since our wing of the Speedycop crew took it over, we're looking to break our record in number of laps run (4) and number of laps recorded via transponder (0). About that 160 cars thing.... 159 is a safe bet!

Some advice to any would-be investors: bring spare 1.8 BP motor parts and gaskets. We'll likely be in the market sometime Saturday afternoon wink

160 cars on a 2 mile track.  I'm used to that many cars on a 1/2 mile dirt track.  Should be fun!

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

Looking foward to traffic!

Almost a week till the race, and the 351 is already in the engine bay. What is the world coming to?

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

I installed a new shift cable last night. Turns out old ones don't work so good when they're missing large amounts of sleeving....

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/10175023_404532986355271_1047345061071407417_n.jpg

car shifts perfectly now. Not going to get to work on the car much tonight, so engine goes in tomorrow. I'm not stressed  yet.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

Nah you guys are so used to doing the last minute thing that it's just well Normal to you. There no way to have a proper rodstyle linkage on the car?

Not really. It's FWD, so the transmission is sitting to the side in the engine bay. Some of the cars had a linkage system, but the cables seem to be better. This was just me not realizing how close to the exhaust they were sitting. Going to tie them back and put some kind of heat shield on them.

I actually couldn't find the exact cable I needed, so i ordered one that was slightly longer. Lucked out that the ends were exactly the same. I was going to ghetto rig something if they weren't.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

We had a rod linkage deal before our car went diesel.  Now that it's a cable linkage it is WAY better.  We replaced bushings and adjusted the old rod linkage crap before each race and you still couldn't find gears sometimes...

Nick
Focke Ewe racing -> Muttonheads! Racing -> Torque Junkies
86ish VW GTI...now with TDI Powah!

So I open the freshly delivered box from Carbotech last night. Literally came from the UPS drivers hands and was going right on to the car that was up in the air with new rotors being installed. Open the box and find pads meant for a Peterbilt, not my 60's 4 banger....

Anyone coming to that race that could use a set of Carbotech CT8 pads with XP8 compound?

If so seek me out... cost me $171, and that's what you can have them for... otherwise CT is sending me a prepaid label to return them after the race...

'04 Mitsu in the works

WarpdSpazm wrote:

So I open the freshly delivered box from Carbotech last night. Literally came from the UPS drivers hands and was going right on to the car that was up in the air with new rotors being installed. Open the box and find pads meant for a Peterbilt, not my 60's 4 banger....

Anyone coming to that race that could use a set of Carbotech CT8 pads with XP8 compound?

If so seek me out... cost me $171, and that's what you can have them for... otherwise CT is sending me a prepaid label to return them after the race...

So how do you plan on braking?  Flitstones style?

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

150 (edited by WarpdSpazm 2014-05-06 09:01 AM)

RogueLeader wrote:

So how do you plan on braking?  Flitstones style?

The car is small,  figure a good sneeze will bring her to a stop.

... Put the new rotors on with a set of EBC yellowstuff (that I had cancelled when they weren't due to arrive until May 15th which prompted me to order CT's in the first place). EBC's came in the next day and CT's were wrong... can't make this sh!t up.

Mike Jr. is overnighting the correct set to NJMP for Thursday, so If they are in the office when I arrive, I'll fit the CT's, other wise I'll bed and run the EBCs.
My head hurts.

I can't wait to arrive Thursday just so I can start drinking...

'04 Mitsu in the works